PDA

View Full Version : Future Of RLR

Chamoo
17th July 2008, 19:02
RLR just won it's first race in a few years at Watkins Glen a couple of weekends ago. They have been competing each weekend with a car that is in or near the top five. They have been caught in bad luck this year (Texas and a couple other races). They seem to have a driver now who can put the car in Victory Lane.

So what is everyone's opinion regarding Rahal Letterman Racing? Do they have what it takes to start making a push as the only elite one car team? They are already the top 1 car team in my opinion, but do they have a chance to start being mentioned as one of the top teams in the series again? They are starting to show they are growing and their potential hasn't been hit yet.

Will RHR stay with the team when his contract is up? Or will TCG or Penske, or even AGR make a push to sign him when his contract is up? It would be a major blow to RLR I believe as they are starting to build around RLR.

And what about a second car for RLR? They keep saying their goal is to get to two cars in the future, but when will that be? If they keep showing growth like this, will they be able to attract sponsors to run a second car?

drewdawg727
17th July 2008, 21:36
Well, IMHO, I never considered RLR a top team in the past anyway. Buddy Rice only put the car in the victory's circle three times in 8 races. Other than that, they really haven't showed much oomph. Danicamania is the only thing that sparked RLR's "supposed" fame.

Chris R
17th July 2008, 21:59
Rahal Racing did very well the first year out when Rahal won the championship in 1992, they had a decent year in 2004 but the rest of the time they have been pretty inconsistent... They are pretty much and always have been a top notch B team with occasional flashes of brilliance.... I am not sure why they never break through - maybe it is $$ - but I suspect that as good as Bobby was as a driver that he just does not have that little extra something that propels his team to the "A" list.... nothing to be ashamed of there - seems like he has a good enterprise and has had respectable results - just not Penske or Ganassi results.....

anthonyvop
17th July 2008, 22:09
One rumor is that RLR will be the first to bolt to the new series.

Chaparral66
18th July 2008, 00:11

Excuse me, I didn't get that. WHAT new series?

NickFalzone
18th July 2008, 00:42

A poor man's F1: http://www.superleagueformula.com/

I don't see Letterman onboard a series without Indy, and it's unlikely to have any races in the U.S.

gofastandwynn
18th July 2008, 01:19

The one being imagined over at CCF.

jimispeed
18th July 2008, 03:36

I don't see Letterman onboard a series without Indy, and it's unlikely to have any races in the U.S.

I'll watch it!!

Robert Doornbos is driving.....

anthonyvop
18th July 2008, 04:20
Not the Superleague. Even though the cars are great, they are tied into the whole "sponsored be Soccer teams" thing.

garyshell
18th July 2008, 06:37
The one being imagined over at CCF.

Imagined? More like delusioned. I went over just to see what the buzz was about and damn near spewed Diet COke on my laptop. A "sugar daddy" is gonna sponsor the whole thing. These folks must believe in Santa Claus too.

Gary

anthonyvop
18th July 2008, 14:06
A "sugar daddy" is gonna sponsor the whole thing. Kind of like some guy in Indy.

These folks must believe in Santa Claus too.

Gary
So what did you ask Santa for Christmas this year?

BobGarage
18th July 2008, 14:35

the new series rumoured by the "coffe guy"? The same guy who spread rumours for years and only got 20% of his predicitions right. Then right before the merger kicked off he went silent for months until now.

Sorry. But the coffee guy just throws ***** to the wall and see's what sticks.

The new series he speaks of is never going to happen. There is no need for another open wheel series in the world, especially with the economy as it is and sponsor $ short. Even if this imagninary sugar daddy did exist and tried to get something off the ground it would fail pretty quickly.

mike15
18th July 2008, 14:53
I expect a third team with NHL in a partnership arrangement not a merger.

anthonyvop
18th July 2008, 16:22
the new series rumoured by the "coffe guy"? The same guy who spread rumours for years and only got 20% of his predicitions right. Then right before the merger kicked off he went silent for months until now.

Sorry. But the coffee guy just throws ***** to the wall and see's what sticks.

The new series he speaks of is never going to happen. There is no need for another open wheel series in the world, especially with the economy as it is and sponsor $ short. Even if this imagninary sugar daddy did exist and tried to get something off the ground it would fail pretty quickly.

Actually I have heard these rumors as well. Long before Coffee guy posted it.

Actually it isn't a rumor. I know of 2 groups working on creating a Premier Formula racing series in the US. One is much farther along than most even realize.

BobGarage
18th July 2008, 16:26

Actually it isn't a rumor. I know of 2 groups working on creating a Premier Formula racing series in the US. One is much farther along than most even realize.

well, personally. I'll believe it when I see it.

dataman1
18th July 2008, 16:44
Since there seems to be plenty of speculation try this out.

Since Newman is reported to be ill, Haas is not a spring chicken and has lost all his Lola / DP01 parts revenue, I could see a Rahal, Letterman, Lanigan team coming. Total speculation on my part.

Chris R
18th July 2008, 16:47

great all we need is "the split" part deux... :(

I would have preferred a slightly different outcome - but we now have 1 "premiere" AOWR formula - lets keep it that way...... The IRL has lots of issues - but without the Indy 500 there is no solid foundation on which to build another AOWR series - if CART/CCWS could not continue its forward momentum after the split an upstart will never get it done without a marquee event. The only possible marquee event outside of Indy is Long Beach and that is now an IRL race.....

Now if someone wants to create a super cool, super fast open wheel club series that is strictly out of pocket funded - it might grow legs over time - but it needs to start with no pretensions of being the "top dog"...

Chris R
18th July 2008, 16:48
Since there seems to be plenty of speculation try this out.

Since Newman is reported to be ill, Haas is not a spring chicken and has lost all his Lola / DP01 parts revenue, I could see a Rahal, Letterman, Lanigan team coming. Total speculation on my part.

seems like well thought out speculation - but who knows.....

anthonyvop
18th July 2008, 17:13
great all we need is "the split" part deux... :(
I would have preferred a slightly different outcome - but we now have 1 "premiere" AOWR formula - lets keep it that way......
We do?

The IRL has lots of issues - but without the Indy 500 there is no solid foundation on which to build another AOWR series
Who said "open Wheel"?
This will have no connection at all with Sprint cars, Midgets or Oval track racing of any type.
This will be a Formula Car series.

Chris R
18th July 2008, 19:11
We do?

Who said "open Wheel"?
This will have no connection at all with Sprint cars, Midgets or Oval track racing of any type.
This will be a Formula Car series.

Perhaps I should define my version of AOWR - that would be an open wheel formula car based largely in North America running on pavement. In my mind AOWR started with Henry Ford and the 999 then became the boards and AAA, morphed into USAC where it gradually shed the dirt and picked up a variety of pavement, thus gradually morphing into CART and the era of the split. For nearly the hole time (for better or worse) it has existed in he sphere of influence of the Indy 500. It is nearly a straight line... Along the way was Formula 5000 which didn't really follow that lineage but certainly fits the my mold of the general concept AOWR from an equipment point of view.

Again, if someone comes up with an awesome club based open wheel formula than I'm all for it - - if I had the bucks I'd be glad to race for pride in a car that was the modern equivalent of an F-5000 or golden era of CART car. However, anything that directly competes with the IRL or ALMS for sponsor$$ etc. is going to make a further mess of things and make NASCAR very happy indeed..... I, for one, am tired of making NASCAR happy...

Chris R
18th July 2008, 19:15
I should also add that I could be a bigger fan of the IRL - but it is the top rung of American open wheel racing at the moment...

One could argue that CART/ CCWS was sharing that top rung from +/-2002-2007 and prior to 2002 it was clearly CART.

I am not big fan of the outcome of this whole thing - but I do not wish to lose what is left of the branch of motorsports I have long followed....

garyshell
19th July 2008, 00:17
Kind of like some guy in Indy.

So what did you ask Santa for Christmas this year?

Well at least the guy in Indy has other folks footing the bill, the new game in town from how I read it was to be funded out of the sugar daddy's pocket, no?

What did I wish for? Oh a good belly laugh about some rich guy who wants to single handedly fund a new series in THIS economy. Looks like Santa came early.

Gary

anthonyvop
19th July 2008, 02:33
What did I wish for? Oh a good belly laugh about some rich guy who wants to single handedly fund a new series in THIS economy.
Gary
THIS economy is when the smart people pounce!

gofastandwynn
19th July 2008, 02:45
Imagined? More like delusioned. I went over just to see what the buzz was about and damn near spewed Diet COke on my laptop. A "sugar daddy" is gonna sponsor the whole thing.

Gary

I guess this magical "sugar daddy" was too busy in February when Forsythe was supposedly looking for an investor to replace KK.

Alexamateo
19th July 2008, 03:34

You got that right, at my house right now, my wife is talking with her friend that's probably getting divorced. I asked her what she was going to do, and she said she wanted to start her own business but wasn't sure in this economy. I told her NOW is the time to start, lots of good stuff out on the market at fire sale prices, and it's better to get poised and ready for the next boom. If you wait for the boom, you're going to miss it! The turn's already here, trust me.

Heck, I'd rather sell in a down market anyway, It gets rid of all the pretenders ;)

As far as another series starting up, I don't think it's a good idea, but hey, it's a free country.

gofastandwynn
19th July 2008, 03:46

Oh yea, it is really easy to get sponsorship for a race car or race series when the economy is in the toilet.

If you are talking about acquiring assets, yea. If getting funding, the no.

-Helix-
19th July 2008, 17:46
I have 40 bucks, I'm going to make my own crappy F1 knockoff too.

Everyones doing it apparently.

And even though there are a million different formula ladder series all around the world that are exactly the same there doesn't seem to be enough for the CC fanatics.

pits4me
22nd July 2008, 18:34

WCVision World Challenge.

RLR rolled out the Aston Martin DB9 at Mid-Ohio. Their first outing went well. http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?ID=1003

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?ID=985

gofastandwynn
22nd July 2008, 19:07
WCVision World Challenge.

RLR rolled out the Aston Martin DB9 at Mid-Ohio. Their first outing went well. http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?ID=1003

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/story.php?ID=985

Whatever happened to their ALMS BMW program they announced?

BobGarage
23rd July 2008, 09:28
Whatever happened to their ALMS BMW program they announced?

starts 2009

http://www.rahal.com/alms/news