PDA

View Full Version : Stealth rail fare increases

Mark
17th July 2008, 10:20
Until very recently I used to be able to get a good deal on the rail fares from Chester-le-Street to York, £6.50 out and £8 return, £14.50 total, as long as I bought well in advance, which was no problem.

But now Arriva CrossCountry have decided to 'simplify' their fares which means there are no advance purchase tickets available before 9.30am. Meaning the fare goes up to £30.50, which is more than double http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif .. And the simplification process was not supposed to mean any price rises!

I *could* buy a season ticket but that locks me into getting the train every day, when really I want to get the train 3 days a week.

leopard
17th July 2008, 11:31
Wasn't that fare still better than buying gasoline ourself?

We can advertise public to use ticket for the rest 4 days. We can go by train for free if only the sales can cover the price of that season ticket.

Mark
17th July 2008, 11:39
Wasn't that fare still better than buying gasoline ourself?

Works out about the same. But the train is 100% more hassle factor, therefore the car wins.

We can advertise public to use ticket for the rest 4 days. We can go by train for free if only the sales can cover the price of that season ticket.

No idea what you said.

leopard
17th July 2008, 12:01
No idea what you said.

Your friends or whoever can use your ticket when you are not using it, they should give you money.

Dave B
17th July 2008, 13:41
As a general rule the train's ok if you're travelling on your own. We find that if we're both travelling it's cheaper (not to mention far more convenient) to take one car than buy two train tickets.

We can do a round trip to Susy's folks for about £70 in petrol, door to door. I've just looked on Nation Rail and the cheapest return ticket for next weekend is £77 each. :eek:

SOD
17th July 2008, 14:36
Until very recently I used to be able to get a good deal on the rail fares from Chester-le-Street to York, £6.50 out and £8 return, £14.50 total, as long as I bought well in advance, which was no problem.

But now Arriva CrossCountry have decided to 'simplify' their fares which means there are no advance purchase tickets available before 9.30am. Meaning the fare goes up to £30.50, which is more than double http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif .. And the simplification process was not supposed to mean any price rises!

I *could* buy a season ticket but that locks me into getting the train every day, when really I want to get the train 3 days a week.

Is there anyway that you can contact them to make them aware of this issue? or any other way you can get other customers who are in the same boat, err train :cheese: , as you to demand that the cheap fare deal remains in place.

Drew
17th July 2008, 17:06
The trains here are really rubbish, they rarely are timetabled to come and then when they are timetabled to come, sometimes they just don't. There's almost no leg room. But the only reason I use it, is because parking in town is expensive...

BDunnell
20th July 2008, 23:50
It is ridiculous, confusing, and all because of the stupid way the rail network was privatised. Oh, and the fact that subsequent governments haven't had the bottle to admit that the private sector isn't always superior when it comes to running public services.