PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Road America 2008

c_brown06
16th July 2008, 21:59
The Tour de Road America is back for it's 5th annual event on Friday August 8.

CYCLISTS AND RACERS GET READY FOR
TOUR DE ROAD AMERICA - BIKE RIDE TO FIGHT CANCER
COUNTDOWN IS ON FOR THE 5TH ANNUAL EVENT IN ELKHART LAKE, WI

Elkhart Lake, WI – It’s July, and that means three things for cyclists…the days are long and warm – ideal for biking. The Tour de France is on TV. And the countdown is on for the return of the Tour de Road America – Bike Ride to Fight Cancer presented by Delta Dental at Elkhart Lake’s Road America race track.

Held annually since 2004, the ride unites local cyclists, race car drivers, race fans, families, and cancer survivors for a fundraising ride on the 4.0-mile auto racing circuit.

The family-friendly event is Friday, August 8, 2008 at approximately 6:45 P.M., following the day’s auto racing activities. The ride is open to cyclists of all abilities and all kinds of bikes.

Proceeds of the fundraiser support the cancer survivorship, advocacy, education, and research programs of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang Camp, and the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic. Organizers expect three- to four-hundred participants to take to the track next month.

For many participants, “the tour” is a highlight of their cycling season. For auto racing fans, it’s a unique chance to ride along side their racing heroes from the American Le Mans, Atlantics Championship, Speed World Challenge, and other racing series. Avid cyclists enjoy the challenge of the hills and 14-turns of the circuit. Families like the wide smooth pavement and traffic-free, controlled environment. And cancer survivors and advocates can demonstrate their commitment to LIVE STRONG, the motto of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

For Robb Holland, driver of the DRC Motorsports Lexus IS-GTF in the Speed World Challenge series, the Tour de Road America combines his passion for cycling with his current profession as a race car driver. Holland, who was previously a pro cyclist, said “Surprisingly, there are many similarities between motorsports and cycling. I think that is why I was able to be on the pace relatively quickly once I made to move to cars. It also gives you a level of fitness that very few other drivers can match.”

“I’m pretty amped to ride the track,” said Holland. “But at the end of the day, the best thing about the ride is the cause it supports. It really is amazing to talk to some of the cancer survivors and hear their stories and how much events like this mean to them. I am glad that I can be a small part in something that means so much.”

For event information and online registration, visit www.pelotonride.org (http://www.pelotonride.org/) or www.roadamerica.com (http://www.roadamerica.com/).

###

Held annually since 2004, the Tour de Road America – Bike Ride to Fight Cancer is 100% organized by volunteers and has raised over $90,000 for cancer survivorship. It benefits the Lance Armstrong Foundation, the Hole-in-the-Wall Gang Camp, and the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic. The Tour de Road America is presented by Delta Dental and made possible by the support of Road America, the American Le Mans Series and other racing series, Giordana Cycling Apparel, Gear Grinder, JHG Benefits, Bella’s Custom Design, Tria Design and Marketing, Marketing Acuity, Bike-n-Ski, and many more. For further information on the Tour de Road America, including photos from previous events, please visit www.pelotonride.org (http://www.pelotonride.org/).