PDA

View Full Version : shark fin anvil wing

MadDan
16th July 2008, 06:37
Toyota also test new anvil wing
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69015

McLaren run anvil wing engine cover
http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/8327374/McLaren-run-anvil-wing-engine-cover

will this become a standard part on an f1 car :confused:

Dave B
16th July 2008, 08:17
As well as any aero gains it's also a nice big space for sponsors' logos!

ioan
16th July 2008, 10:42
Calling it shark fin is OK, but "wing"?! How can you call a vertical part a "wing"?!

gravity
16th July 2008, 11:42
Cars using the fin would find crosswinds becoming more of an issue in future.

Fin would describe the verticle aspect of the item, yes. 'Anvil wing' is used to describe its appearance/features, not position or angle attached.

gloomyDAY
16th July 2008, 16:49
Neither Toyota or McLaren will be running the fin at Hockenheim.

jens
16th July 2008, 21:12
Actually there is one aspect about the fins that makes me suspicious, when we are talking about the current regulations.

Arguably movable aero parts are not allowed, but having seen onboard shots of "finned" cars (for example Renault), it can be clearly noticed that the fin was clearly moving and shaking in corners. Why no protests?

LeonBrooke
16th July 2008, 23:11
I think these things are hideous and should be banned. The pointy bit could take someone's eye out!

ioan
17th July 2008, 07:19
Arguably movable aero parts are not allowed, but having seen onboard shots of "finned" cars (for example Renault), it can be clearly noticed that the fin was clearly moving and shaking in corners. Why no protests?

I think it's because the movement isn't giving any advantage, it is rather a disadvantage in terms of aero efficiency.

Easy Drifter
17th July 2008, 08:09
I think some aero boffin saw a picture of a D Type Jag (from the 50's for you yunkers) and thought " Hey, let's give that a try". :idea:

ioan
17th July 2008, 12:15
I think some aero boffin saw a picture of a D Type Jag (from the 50's for you yunkers) and thought " Hey, let's give that a try". :idea:

I doubt it.

The fin on the Jag (and there were such fins on other cars too, the 166 MM Ferrari for instance), was there for high speed stability on the straight.

In F1 it is more to create a laminar flow towards the rear wing because the airbox disrupts the airflow.

Easy Drifter
17th July 2008, 15:45
Ioan: You should have read enough of my posts by now to know that I like to make smarta-- comments quite a bit. I have been around this sport so long I have a hard time taking anything too seriously.
I know the original idea was for straight line stability but it also turned out (surprisingly at the time) to help avoid oversteer in high speed corners much as the WOO sprint cars do with the huge end plates on their wings.

Knock-on
17th July 2008, 18:57
Ioan: You should have read enough of my posts by now to know that I like to make smarta-- comments quite a bit. I have been around this sport so long I have a hard time taking anything too seriously.
I know the original idea was for straight line stability but it also turned out (surprisingly at the time) to help avoid oversteer in high speed corners much as the WOO sprint cars do with the huge end plates on their wings.

Ohh, the irony. Easy Drifter talking about avoiding oversteer :D

Easy Drifter
17th July 2008, 19:24
Raced both. Understeering pig, but slight understeer and terminal oversteer was my favourite. Loved the feel of a car in a perfect drift but hard to get it right all the time. But that was the old days! Too old and decrepit to do it now plus front wheel drive is hard to get into a drift especially on public roads. The boys in blue take a dim view of it too. :D

555-04Q2
18th July 2008, 12:12
I think these things are hideous and should be banned.

:up: Couldnt agree more :up:

truefan72
18th July 2008, 20:53
:up: Couldnt agree more :up:

they don't engineer these cars to please the audience aesthetically...and why should they?

If these fins can give a car an advantage, then so be it.

I'm sure that 40 years ago, some people were arguing that front and rear wings don't look good on a "car"

I even recall a few years ago when renualt and sauber came out with their radically different front wing configurations, people were bitching about theme not looking good either.

jso1985
19th July 2008, 02:26
I think these things are hideous and should be banned. The pointy bit could take someone's eye out!

Didn't know this was the F1 cars beauty contest!

LeonBrooke
19th July 2008, 12:49
Didn't know this was the F1 cars beauty contest!

I'm being silly, I actually think the one on the Red Bull looks quite good, also the one that Toyota tested. But the Force India one and the Renault one are ugly. But I also think the bridge wings are ugly, but as you say, F1 isn't a beauty contest...

555-04Q2
22nd July 2008, 15:07
they don't engineer these cars to please the audience aesthetically...and why should they?

If these fins can give a car an advantage, then so be it.

I'm sure that 40 years ago, some people were arguing that front and rear wings don't look good on a "car"

I even recall a few years ago when renualt and sauber came out with their radically different front wing configurations, people were bitching about theme not looking good either.

True. Look at it this way though. A prostitute serves one purpose and one purpose only, to help get your rocks off. She can be dog ugly or beautiful, the end result is the same. It would help though if she was good looking as you would probably enjoy it more. Same with the cars. If you had cardboard boxes going around the track would millions of people watch :?: I dont think so. The look of the car is still important, too me at least.

Knock-on
22nd July 2008, 16:12
True. Look at it this way though. A prostitute serves one purpose and one purpose only, to help get your rocks off. She can be dog ugly or beautiful, the end result is the same. It would help though if she was good looking as you would probably enjoy it more. Same with the cars. If you had cardboard boxes going around the track would millions of people watch :?: I dont think so. The look of the car is still important, too me at least.

Does that mean we will have leather clad cars with Whips trailing in the new F2 series :D

(Sorry Pino. Not the face, Don't hit the face pleaseee) :blackeye:

555-04Q2
23rd July 2008, 10:10
Does that mean we will have leather clad cars with Whips trailing in the new F2 series :D

(Sorry Pino. Not the face, Don't hit the face pleaseee) :blackeye:

Sounds like a new Max Mosley series :laugh:

CNR
31st July 2008, 23:17
More teams to use anvil wing bodywork in Hungary

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5011&Itemid=219

truefan72
1st August 2008, 18:23
More teams to use anvil wing bodywork in Hungary

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5011&Itemid=219

yep, that's the one thing that I noticed on Friday Practice,

especially toyota and Ferrari