PDA

View Full Version : Bees are disappearing...

slamster
16th July 2008, 02:23
Honey bees are dieing due to a phenomenon called colony collapse disorder. check out this vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5vt07W2n4

Where my bees at!? :s mokin:

rah
16th July 2008, 03:07
Honey bees are dieing due to a phenomenon called colony collapse disorder. check out this vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5vt07W2n4

Where my bees at!? :s mokin:

Only in north america as far as I know. I have a shady memory, but I think it is caused by mites on the bees.

Dave B
16th July 2008, 08:11
They're returning to their home planet, according to Dr Who!

Eki
16th July 2008, 11:10
They're returning to their home planet, according to Dr Who!
Who?

Azumanga Davo
16th July 2008, 13:55
Who?

Two answers coiuld follow this:

1. Yes :p :
2. The guy on first base :D

Take your pick ;)

schmenke
16th July 2008, 14:42
Oh, bee quiet!

Eki
16th July 2008, 19:24
Oh, bee quiet!
Two bees or not two bees, that's the question.

Mp3 Astra
16th July 2008, 20:28
Oh bee-have, guys, let's get back on topic bee-fore we all get hives.

Anyway, although I do hate bees because I was constantly stung as a child (and now have a phobia), it would be very strange to have a planet without bees. Kind of like a planet without Channel 5 - kind of relieving but has something missing.

Eki
16th July 2008, 20:50
Oh bee-have, guys, let's get back on topic bee-fore we all get hives.

Anyway, although I do hate bees because I was constantly stung as a child (and now have a phobia), it would be very strange to have a planet without bees. Kind of like a planet without Channel 5 - kind of relieving but has something missing.
Without bees you'd have no honey and fewer flowers.

schmenke
16th July 2008, 22:50
A world without bees would be a disaster. They play a vital role in the pollination of plants, hence the health of our ecosystems.

Hazell B
17th July 2008, 14:46
Only in north america as far as I know. I have a shady memory, but I think it is caused by mites on the bees.

No, it's a genuine issue here in the UK.

Seriously, it is a real problem, and it's bad if you want to keep eating apples, drinking cider or stuffing your face with fruit pies :p :

With only private individuals owning hives nobody really knows how many have vanished and there's not much cash for research, but about half the UK honey bees are said to be simply gone in some areas. I know somebody who loans hives to farmers to pollenate orchards or lavender fields and he's not getting them all back. Having said that, normal wild bees will still do an okay job in some cases, so we won't all suddenly starve.

There's no known reason (mites aren't to blame, that's almost certain) as the bees simply vanish (like an old oak table) or die.

schmenke
17th July 2008, 14:54
...There's no known reason (mites aren't to blame, that's almost certain) as the bees simply vanish (like an old oak table) or die.

Beewildering innit...

Hazell B
17th July 2008, 14:57
Beehave :mark:

TOgoFASTER
17th July 2008, 15:13
The Bees leave infected hives.

But wait here is a cure. ;)

http://www.andhranews.net/India/2008/July/9-Indian-scientists-53191.asp

Drew
17th July 2008, 17:07
I don't beelieve it.

rah
17th July 2008, 22:31
No, it's a genuine issue here in the UK.

Seriously, it is a real problem, and it's bad if you want to keep eating apples, drinking cider or stuffing your face with fruit pies :p :

With only private individuals owning hives nobody really knows how many have vanished and there's not much cash for research, but about half the UK honey bees are said to be simply gone in some areas. I know somebody who loans hives to farmers to pollenate orchards or lavender fields and he's not getting them all back. Having said that, normal wild bees will still do an okay job in some cases, so we won't all suddenly starve.

There's no known reason (mites aren't to blame, that's almost certain) as the bees simply vanish (like an old oak table) or die.

Fair enough did not know that. I got the mite thing from a UK science podcast i think. Either way the Aus colonies are showing no signs AFAIK so we can alwasy export some to widen the gene pool.

Azumanga Davo
18th July 2008, 06:29
Fair enough did not know that. I got the mite thing from a UK science podcast i think. Either way the Aus colonies are showing no signs AFAIK so we can alwasy export some to widen the gene pool.

Hmmm, should be fun in the future:

Keeper: Hello Mr. Honeybee, have you any honey today?
Aussie Bee: All in the hive, mate.
Keeper: Busy day was it?
Aussie Bee: Rooted, I am.
Keeper: Well, thanks for your help.
Aussie Bee: No f%^&*ing worries... *continuation of stereotypes*

maxu05
18th July 2008, 11:13
Perhaps the bees heard someone say Buzz Off.

Azumanga Davo
18th July 2008, 15:30
Perhaps the bees heard someone say Buzz Off.

I'm closing the internet.

*flips the sign on the door

;)

Daniel
22nd July 2008, 22:54

I believe that's already been done :)

Thank god for Steve and his "Quarantine! Don't fu... err I mean muck with it" ads :p