PDA

View Full Version : Al Jr busted for DUI (again?)

johnny shell
26th January 2007, 20:37
http://www.tmz.com/2007/01/26/indy-car-legend-busted-for-dui/

3-wide
26th January 2007, 20:55
Very sad news. I hope he can rebound again.

johnny shell
26th January 2007, 21:12
he's one of my all time favorites, that's for sure.

gofastandwynn
26th January 2007, 22:29
Oh, well MarkC just put is as "IRL driver arrested again." You see Mark, it is because of low blows like this that you will never get past the internet.

PS, why didn't you phrase it as "2-time CART champ arested again"?

Jag_Warrior
27th January 2007, 23:49
The Indy Star and AP listed him as "two time Indy 500 winner."

But I don't think any of that matters. I never cheered for Al as a driver... never really liked him. But to see the man's life continue spiraling out of control is very sad. It's his problem and only he can fix it. But I really hope he gets the help that he obviously needs.

Mark in Oshawa
28th January 2007, 02:13
It is sad, but don't get mad they didn't mention him as a CART Champion. You cant dislike CART when bad things happen, and claim him as your own when he does something right. Mark C just took the lead of the press release.

IT is a sad thing to hear of Al's problems with alcohol, but he has to stay clean and sober if he expects to have any sort of normal life. His racing days I think are sadly over ahead of schedule....his career would have been longer and greater IMO if it wasn't for the demons that he obviously is fighting.

I never was a huge fan, but he was nice to me whenever I had a chance to talk to him at Toronto, including one time just coming out of the bathroom!!! Some fans ambushed him for autographs about 2 second as he came out of the men's room in the Automotive building at the Ex where the race is. He was still doing up his nomex getting ready to go out for a practice. I joked with him as he walked away smiling a guy cant even get a break in the men's room, and he told me he was just glad they didn't ambush him in there, but it had happened before.

He is a good guy on a lot of levels, but booze can destroy one's priorities, and I hope he finds a way to recover. He comes from very good stock...Al Sr. is one of the classiest men anywhere.....

gofastandwynn
29th January 2007, 19:10
It is sad, but don't get mad they didn't mention him as a CART Champion. You cant dislike CART when bad things happen, and claim him as your own when he does something right. Mark C just took the lead of the press release.

I am not upset that he wasn't mentioned as a cart champion, it is that this "journalist" is going out of his way to slander the IRL. Why dosen't he just say "Unser Jr. arrested again"? That explains the story a lot more than "Another IRL driver arrested." I didn't see him reporting PT accident as "Drunk CCWS drived injured in motor vehicle crash." MarkC is a glorified blogger who tries to pass himself of as a journo...

NY2IA
29th January 2007, 19:48
I know this is not the correct forum, but since the subject of his DUI was raised, I wanted to ask if anyone has heard if he will still race in the historic grand prix in Las Vegas in April?

grungex
29th January 2007, 20:46
I am not upset that he wasn't mentioned as a cart champion, it is that this "journalist" is going out of his way to slander the IRL. Why dosen't he just say "Unser Jr. arrested again"? That explains the story a lot more than "Another IRL driver arrested." I didn't see him reporting PT accident as "Drunk CCWS drived injured in motor vehicle crash." MarkC is a glorified blogger who tries to pass himself of as a journo...

CNN listed him as a NASCAR driver in their crawl...

gofastandwynn
29th January 2007, 22:07
CNN listed him as a NASCAR driver in their crawl...

Hell, you could say that he is a FIA, IMSA, USAC, CART, IndyCar, NASCAR, IROC, SCCA, WOO, A1GP & IRL driver. These are all facts, but to quote Don Quixote, "Facts are the enemy of the truth."

grungex
30th January 2007, 05:02
Was CNN going out of their way to slander NASCAR?

gofastandwynn
30th January 2007, 06:38
Was CNN going out of their way to slander NASCAR?

No, just to the main stream media all racing is Nascar.

Rudy Tamasz
30th January 2007, 08:27
Poor Opie. Failing sobriety test at 11 a.m. is clearly an indicator of something. Let's imagine, he's hung over, sick, depressed, hates the whole world and needs a shot of booze to return to senses. And then he has an accident...

I really hope he gets better.

NoFender
30th January 2007, 21:18
Poor Opie. Failing sobriety test at 11 a.m. is clearly an indicator of something.

Long night????

captin 1 VXR
30th January 2007, 21:22
well we have to say is he s not the first and will not be the last .

also i always woundered why thay have red bull drink bottles . must be red bull and vodka ...

back to topic

he need to sort himself out as d d in usa is a bigger no no than back there in the uk .

gerkebi
1st February 2007, 04:55
why didn't you phrase it as "2-time CART champ arested again"?
Because Mark can spell.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 08:35
Gofast, I think if Michael Andretti was feted for something grand in a headline as a "former CART champion" you would be equally pissed, but like I said, you cant have it both ways. You want to claim he is a CART guy because he was found on a DUI and not an IRL guy? Last people giving him a job were in the IRL, so that is what he is. Accuracy is the first rule of journalism, and it is accurate. Al Jr. at last glance was a participant, albeit part time in the IRL.

Anyone with half a brain knows he ran CART and god knows what else, but his mug was on the Indy 500 broadcast in 2005, and he hasn't run anything else....so I cant see why this is such an issue for you. You want to be upset? Be upset that the guy was around drinking in the MORNING and then driving around. Too many deaths occur because of stupid crap like this, yet you worry about a headline....

Opinion8d
8th February 2007, 20:34
the monkey is on al jr bad as alcoholism has destroyed many lives :(

R. Mears
16th February 2007, 07:51
I remember reading this when it happened. Really sad to go from a 2 time Indy 500 winner to a 2 time DUI offender.

Mickey T
16th February 2007, 13:45
i had a bit to do with him re the gold coast indy race, and it's terribly sad to see him look so old. he looks like a 55 year old.

as for what kind of racer to call him, most of the mainstream media don't really know the ins and outs of the political wrangling between the open wheeler formulae.

he is most readily identified with open wheeler racing and, to most people in the US, that means the Indy 500, which now means IRL and not CART. My guess, knowing how newspapers work, is that that's how the thought process would have gone.

ZzZzZz
17th February 2007, 21:45
He looked really good last May. Like he'd really cleaned up and gotten back into shape. Let's hope this is just a speed bump for him. Sometimes people need one last reality check before fully committing to staying clean.

I remember the guy who spent his spare time talking with fans insted of hiding out in a trailer.

Komahawk
23rd February 2007, 11:58
It's such a shame. Hope he'll overcome that obstacle.