PDA

View Full Version : Tracy confirmed at Vision for Edmonton

BobGarage
15th July 2008, 16:32
Paul Tracy doesn't like to be left behind, and he doesn't expect to be while competing in an IndyCar Series event July 24-26.

Tracy will compete in the Rexall Edmonton Indy (5 p.m. ET, ESPN) through a collaboration of Vision Racing and Walker Racing. Additional races this season are possible.

Tracy, 39, will drive the No. 22 Subway/Vision Racing Honda-powered Dallara, which will be maintained at the racetrack by a Walker Racing crew. Northlands, the promoter of the Rexall Edmonton Indy, will be an associate sponsor.

"I've been away for a little while, but I want to be back in a car and this is the first step to getting back," said Tracy, who last competed on the streets of Long Beach (Calif.) in the Champ Car finale and is the Champ Car career leader with 31 victories. "We have a big job ahead of us but everyone is giving it their best try."

Ed Carpenter and A.J. Foyt IV also will compete for Vision Racing in the first event on the physical 1.96-mile Edmonton City Centre Airport circuit under the IndyCar Series banner.

Tracy competed in the Edmonton races the past three years. Last July, he started 14th on the 17-car grid but raced his way to fifth (28 seconds behind winner Sebastien Bourdais). He also was fifth in '06 and third in the inaugural event.

Tracy, native of Scarborough, Ontario, will compete in an IndyCar Series event for the first time since the 2002 Indianapolis 500.

"I'm excited about the opportunity with Vision Racing and Walker Racing," said Tracy who is seventh in Indy-car racing victories. "Obviously, it's key to have a good sponsor and a proper effort. Tony George has done a great job with that. We have that now with Subway and these two teams working together."

Longtime open-wheel racing team owner Derrick Walker said this is a step in competing in the IndyCar Series full time.

"We are looking forward to working with Vision Racing and Paul Tracy," Walker said. "Walker Racing is building on 2009 and this opportunity with Vision Racing affords us the chance to show that we are still alive and a viable entity. I appreciate that Tony has provided us with this chance. It's a good opportunity as well to work with Paul. Having raced against him for many years I've always admired him as a very competitive driver. There is no doubt we are all going into this event with our eyes wide open. We just want to execute the best that we can and the results will take care of themselves."

The Edmonton event is the last in a string of six consecutive weekends of racing, which includes the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio presented by Westfield Insurance this weekend. Watch all the action on indycar.com via streaming video with live Timing & Scoring.

"I am sure this partnership with Paul Tracy and Walker Racing will give us a better understanding of the platform we need to take to the event to be as successful as possible," Vision Racing co-owner Tony George said. "I am very proud of Vision Racing personnel who have very unselfishly worked to provide five cars to transitioning teams before the season started and before it began to focus on its own effort. Because of the professional way the team has conducted itself so far I am sure we will be able to collaborate with Walker Racing to put forth a quality effort for this race."

Mad_Hatter
15th July 2008, 18:32
http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/series/images/subwaytracy-cvr-07152008.jpg

Seems a bit bland. Interesting that he's still wearing a monster hat.

garyshell
15th July 2008, 18:42
HURRAH! HURRAH! HURRAH!!!!!!!

Gary

anthonyvop
15th July 2008, 19:05
Seems a bit bland..
Like their Subs

Interesting that he's still wearing a monster hat.
Monster is PT's personal sponsor.

JasonD
15th July 2008, 19:51
Seems a bit bland. Interesting that he's still wearing a monster hat.

And what would you expect for a one off deal? :rolleyes:

Sorry PT I think this is a bad move, you've got a pretty big chance at looking like a loser out there.

garyshell
15th July 2008, 20:25

Sorry PT I think this is a bad move, you've got a pretty big chance at looking like a loser out there.

As opposed to someone who wants to stay at home in Las Vegas and not drive at all??? Either he takes this and hopes for the best or he winds up looking like a loser for not trying.

I hope he comes out swinging and kicks some a$s.

Gary

Osiris333
15th July 2008, 20:40
It's about time.

What's the risk? Anybody who thinks he isn't faster than Dannica Patrick, Dan Wheldon, Tony Kannan or the majority of stiffs that inhabit the IRL grid is smoking crack anyway. Real racing people know he's still fast.

JasonD
15th July 2008, 20:44
As opposed to someone who wants to stay at home in Las Vegas and not drive at all??? Either he takes this and hopes for the best or he winds up looking like a loser for not trying.

I hope he comes out swinging and kicks some a$s.

Gary

And what if he looks like a loser FOR trying. Then what will you and everybody else be saying? :rolleyes:

garyshell
15th July 2008, 21:04
And what if he looks like a loser FOR trying. Then what will you and everybody else be saying? :rolleyes:

Do you REALLY want to know what I will be saying, or do you want to just live with what you have already determined? What I, for one, will be saying is that I am damn glad he tried. I sure as hell didn't want to see him wait this out and have folks say that he didn't really want to race anyway.

Now what will YOU be saying in either of the two possible scenarios? Scenario #1, he kicks a$s and takes names, scoring points and a top five finish. Scenario #2, he gets punted out in the first turn by someone.

Either way I don't see him looking like a loser for trying. Obviously you must think he might.

Gary

bblocker68
15th July 2008, 21:05
PT is pretty good. The chances of him looking like a loser are low. I'm glad he finally got a package together. CC has been missing it's starpower with Bourdfais in F1, AJ in Nascar and guys like PT, Doornbos and Tags on the sidelines.

Good on ya' PT. Now kick some butt!!!

Nice to see PT in Bret Favre colors :)

garyshell
15th July 2008, 21:06
PT is pretty good. The chances of him looking like a loser are low. I'm glad he finally got a package together. CC has been missing it's starpower with Bourdfais in F1, AJ in Nascar and guys like PT, Doornbos and Tags on the sidelines.

Good on ya' PT. Now kick some butt!!!

Can I get an "amen", brothers and sisters?

Gary

bblocker68
15th July 2008, 21:16
"A-mofo-men"!!!!

Hey Gary, been awhile! I've been lurking but not posting lately. Things have been going fairly smoothly in here and the oval stint left me watching F1 a little more. Now that PT is returning, I'll be a little more "active" :)

downtowndeco
15th July 2008, 21:18
It's about time.

What's the risk? Anybody who thinks he isn't faster than Dannica Patrick, Dan Wheldon, Tony Kannan or the majority of stiffs that inhabit the IRL grid is smoking crack anyway. Real racing people know he's still fast.

I'm glad to see Paul in the IRL He's a talented driver and it's good for both the IRL & AOWR in general.

That being said what makes you think PT is going to fair any better against much stiffer competition than he did his last few years in CC, when, even with a top of the line team he wasn't winning much of anything against a very, very weak field?

Mad_Hatter
15th July 2008, 21:22
Monster is PT's personal sponsor.

I'd thought he was no longer with them.

Not on the list...
Monster's Athletes (http://www.monsterenergy.com/troops/athletes.php)

Mad_Hatter
15th July 2008, 21:30

Atta boy!!! Roll your eyes that'll teach him!!!

downtowndeco he'd have faired better in a couple of those years if it weren't for #1 Seabass taking him out and #2 Giving up points as in the Toronto when he probably could've kept going.

garyshell
15th July 2008, 21:30
I'm glad to see Paul in the IRL He's a talented driver and it's good for both the IRL & AOWR in general.

That being said what makes you think PT is going to fair any better against much stiffer competition than he did his last few years in CC, when, even with a top of the line team he wasn't winning much of anything against a very, very weak field?

If we are talking LAST year, I see your point. But, last year, I would hardly call Forsythe a top of the line team. In fact they were LOST. They made so many mistakes on setup predicated by their approach to a new car.

Prior years Paul did pretty well, although that didn't always show up in the points standings. Lots of on track incidents, not all of his own doing, were his un-doing.

But the real reason he will fair better against the much stiffer competition, he will be the only one out there with .... wait for it..... the chrome horn! And they fact he isn't going to be running for points.

Gary

SarahFan
15th July 2008, 22:15

Sebatien and NHL were the most dominate team/driver in racing last season.....

to suggest paul was competing against a weak field is simply not accurate

downtowndeco
15th July 2008, 23:39
Sebatien and NHL were the most dominate team/driver in racing last season.....

to suggest paul was competing against a weak field is simply not accurate

That is your opinion. Most looked at last seasons line up of euro ride buyers and thought it looked weak.

Mad_Hatter
16th July 2008, 01:31
That is your opinion. Most looked at last seasons line up of euro ride buyers and thought it looked weak.

Is this not your opinion?

jimispeed
16th July 2008, 03:34
Most of the drivers thought it was the strongest field in a few years!! A few mentioned it during the season....

I hope Robert Doornbos ends up in Indycars!!

I know what he's doing now, but hope to see him next year!!

SarahFan
16th July 2008, 05:27

er...wrong...

but nothing new

AussieV8
16th July 2008, 07:12
Pity it isn't more than a 1 race deal. Paul Tracy in a Subway/Walker Racing car would be good for a whole season.

Cart750hp
16th July 2008, 07:19
Pity it isn't more than a 1 race deal. Paul Tracy in a Subway/Walker Racing car would be good for a whole season.

I agree. But you have to understand that Walker, Rocketsports and Forsythe didn't shut their operation just because Champ Car got bought by IndyCar. Give em time (I hope Rocketsports isn't joining IndyCar) to get their stuff back. Won't be surprised if you see Walker and Forsythe next year on the line-up. It's just gonna get better from here on.

MAX_THRUST
16th July 2008, 08:25
CCWS had one of its strongest driver (ride buyer) lineups ever last year I think. I'm sure Danica would never have beaten Bourdais or Dormboss (excuse the pun, but different leagues of drivers).

Not just Tracy back racing but Walker is back too......

That is worth something alone. This is great news, for the IRL and TG knows it. That's two decisions he's made this year that I liked. Wish I could see the race......

BobGarage
16th July 2008, 08:55
Not just Tracy back racing but Walker is back too......

That is worth something alone. This is great news, for the IRL and TG knows it. That's two decisions he's made this year that I liked. Wish I could see the race......

lets be clear here... Walker racing isn;t back really.

Its a Vision Racing car, funded by TG/Vision with sponsors sourcved by TG/Vision. The only difference is that for the weekend it will be staffed by Walker Racing crew members. (who will be in Edmonton anyway for the Atlantic race).

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Walker racing back in the ICS. But this isn't it yet. Maybe a precurser for next year though :)

Gluaistean
16th July 2008, 13:37

Sebastian Bourdais, Justin Wilson, Robert Doornbos, Will Power, Timo Glock, Bruno Junquiera, and more. He beat all of them at one time or another. Do you think that Paul will have to up his game to beat Marty Roth, Buddy Rice, Danica Patrick, Mutoh, Milka Duno? There are some that will be a challenge like former Champ driver Dixon,Tony Kanaan or Casto Neves. But, I have no hesitation in saying that Paul is Superior to them all.
By the way, OT, is this the first time Paul has an official sponsor other than Indeck since Players left?

BobGarage
16th July 2008, 13:42
By the way, OT, is this the first time Paul has an official sponsor other than Indeck since Players left?

apart from his monster sponsorship and sportclips in the busch series, yes.

JasonD
16th July 2008, 13:46
Scenario #1, he kicks a$s and takes names, scoring points and a top five finish.

I would cheer.

Scenario #2, he gets punted out in the first turn by someone.

I would change the channel.

Either way I don't see him looking like a loser for trying. Obviously you must think he might.

A satellite team from Vision + Walker leading the charge + a team that is being thrown together + no testing + no seat team for PT = one crazy jambalya.

Can he pull it off? Sure look at cleveland last year. But lets be realistic.

Rogelio
16th July 2008, 14:49
I am a huge PT fan and I will be honest that when PT and Dornboss were left without rides (along with the utter disgust for the Amigos) I lost interest in AOWR. And I am sure I am not alone because there are many former Champ Car fans that simply gave up on the "merged" series.

I will certainly watch the next race because of PT. Will he win? Probably not, but I know that at least he will put up a damn fight. The fact that PT, CC most notable driver was left without a ride left many fans of the now defunct series alienated. Like it or not, the ICS needs to win those fans back and by adding PT, this is certainly a step in the right direction.

downtowndeco
16th July 2008, 15:09
Sebastian Bourdais, Justin Wilson, Robert Doornbos, Will Power, Timo Glock, Bruno Junquiera, and more. He beat all of them at one time or another. Do you think that Paul will have to up his game to beat Marty Roth, Buddy Rice, Danica Patrick, Mutoh, Milka Duno? There are some that will be a challenge like former Champ driver Dixon,Tony Kanaan or Casto Neves. But, I have no hesitation in saying that Paul is Superior to them all.

As I already posted, I think Paul is a talented racer. I hope he does well. But I just don't see how anyone could take the fields from the last few years in CCWS and think they were the best in the world. Let's face it. The last few years Paul has been racing against cobbled together 15/16 car fields. A lot of good drivers, sure. But a whole bunch of them that were just so so and we'll never hear from again.

It's good for the IRL. It's good for AOWR. It's good for PT. Cheers to all of them.

garyshell
16th July 2008, 15:20
I agree. But you have to understand that Walker, Rocketsports and Forsythe didn't shut their operation just because Champ Car got bought by IndyCar. Give em time (I hope Rocketsports isn't joining IndyCar) to get their stuff back. Won't be surprised if you see Walker and Forsythe next year on the line-up. It's just gonna get better from here on.

I'll give you Walker, and MAYBE Rocketsports, but Forsythe left in a huff. It was all about his precious little bruised ego. Why else would he have treated PT the way he did? Total vindictiveness. I could care less if Forsythe himself ever joins the series. But for the sake of the folks who worked for him, I would like to see them all get their jobs back.

Gary

garyshell
16th July 2008, 15:25
A satellite team from Vision + Walker leading the charge + a team that is being thrown together + no testing + no seat team for PT = one crazy jambalya.

Can he pull it off? Sure look at cleveland last year. But lets be realistic.

I never said it was an IDEAL situation. But I am being realistic that PT pretty much had to take this ride or have a whole contingent of folks say that he never really wanted to race anyway.

I'll be glued to the set when it happens!!

I am really hoping he gets a ride for the Kentucky Speedway race. I have a copy of what I belive is his original press kit from when he started out as a YOUNG kid. I would really like to get it autographed!

Gary

SarahFan
16th July 2008, 15:29
As I already posted, I think Paul is a talented racer. I hope he does well. But I just don't see how anyone could take the fields from the last few years in CCWS and think they were the best in the world. Let's face it. The last few years Paul has been racing against cobbled together 15/16 car fields. A lot of good drivers, sure. But a whole bunch of them that were just so so and we'll never hear from again.

It's good for the IRL. It's good for AOWR. It's good for PT. Cheers to all of them.

no one....certainly not me...said it was the strongest field in the world.....what i said was the NHL/Sebastien combo was the most formidable in racing last season....and i stand by that...

and I'll add....sure the CC field...like the IRL field the past 5 or 6 yeras became lean at the top...... that's what happens when a sport is split in two...

but to suggest that PT wasn't competing against top notch talent.....the top 6 or 7 drivers....is simply wrong.......

but you go on believing what makes you sleep better at night

garyshell
16th July 2008, 15:32
The fact that PT, CC most notable driver was left without a ride left many fans of the now defunct series alienated. Like it or not, the ICS needs to win those fans back and by adding PT, this is certainly a step in the right direction.

And exactly whose fault was it that this travesty happened? It is well known here that I am no fan of "king George", but it sure as hell was not his of ICS's fault that PT is not in the series. Nope, that blame lies at the feet of one Mr. Forsythe, plain and simple.

But I agree with you that the ICS needs to win back these fans and that getting PT in a seat was a big step. At least "king George" got that right.

Gary

P.S. Please excuse the lack of ellipses in the references to the "king". Some politically correct user or users here complained of my use of implied foul language and I was asked to desist. A compromise was worked out and I continue to use the reference without the offending three periods. Jeesh, some people REALLY need to get a life.

garyshell
16th July 2008, 15:35

I don't think ANYONE claimed them to be the best in the world. I think the discussion was to refute the claim that they were weak. There is a HUGE difference between those two extremes. Me thinks the truth doth lie somewhere in the middle.

And that's a sentiment we can ALL agree on. Can I get another "amen", brothers and sisters?

Gary

bblocker68
16th July 2008, 15:58
I bet he'll make it to the top 8.

I'll go put him there in my pickem right now.

SarahFan
16th July 2008, 16:04

wont finish top 8....or at some point run in the top 8

bblocker68
16th July 2008, 16:19

I'm sticking to it :)

nigelred5
16th July 2008, 16:22
I'd thought he was no longer with them.

Not on the list...
Monster's Athletes (http://www.monsterenergy.com/troops/athletes.php)

Only hat that He could afford on unemployment? ;)

IIRC, His monster deal had only been about them movnig into the Canadian markets last year anyway, then he was essentially an unemployed former race car driver most of this year, so I don't imagine there was any reason to have him on the Monster site if he wasn't racing anywhere.

Now that he's on the bill for the Edmonton race, I imagine the deal gets a little bump. Good to see he's finally going to be back in a car, and his willingess to drive for TG hopefully signals a willingness to bury the hatchet over the disputed 500 and get on with a deal for some more races and a season ride for 09.

SarahFan
16th July 2008, 16:23

I'm sticking to it :)

funny.....I predicted he would crash mid-race while running in 8th...

if nothing else it is certainly going to be fun

nigelred5
16th July 2008, 16:33
Well, the roadcoures setups and equipment that each team has are far more equal than the oval kits, and I would certainly thing TG has the up to date kits and a semi fresh chassis to put PT into. Walkers boys certainly know how to put together a shoe string car, and remember, the Walker guys supposedly have have had a Dallara for quite a while now. Is it the same chassis, I don't know, but they wave had time with the car in the shop at least, will have setup info from Vision and PT should get the extra track time all of the transition drivers have been given preparing for upcoming races.

IIRC, Walker was actually the first if not one of the first CCWS teams to have a current chassis, I believe even prior to the merger announcement. They only pulled up when Gore walked with his money to KV on Walker. PT is certainly a far better roadcourse driver than a lot of the current field when he is on his game.

nigelred5
16th July 2008, 16:35
I'd just like to see PT in an all Black car with the big green Monster "M" logos on it praying on the field. Where's the fantasy liveries thread for the IRL ICS?

spiritone
16th July 2008, 17:19
Being a big tracy fan i should be happy that he finally has a ride. But seeing as how its in a left over car with a makeup team in a one off fails to thrill me. The fact that it has generated so much discussion here is interesting. If he does really well what will that say about the present talent in this series? For the posters that say the talent in champcar was weak i pose this question.

If the merger had been the other way around and the irl teams had to use the panoz and race on mainly road courses how do you think they would have done? My quess, not very well, even though they would have raced against weak opposition.

TG getting a little desperate bringing in a washed up 39 year old to prop up his series.

garyshell
16th July 2008, 17:30
Being a big tracy fan i should be happy that he finally has a ride. ...

TG getting a little desperate bringing in a washed up 39 year old to prop up his series.

An interesting dichotomy between those two statements.

Gary

fugariracing
16th July 2008, 17:53
The most interesting thing about this is the fact PT, CC's most ardent supporter during the split, is now racing for TG. Go figure.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this could have never happened after the outcome of the 2002 Indianapolis 500.

If this doesn't suggest the split hatchet is buried, I don't know what will.

downtowndeco
16th July 2008, 18:00
Being a big tracy fan i should be happy that he finally has a ride. But seeing as how its in a left over car with a makeup team in a one off fails to thrill me. The fact that it has generated so much discussion here is interesting. If he does really well what will that say about the present talent in this series? For the posters that say the talent in champcar was weak i pose this question.

If the merger had been the other way around and the irl teams had to use the panoz and race on mainly road courses how do you think they would have done? My quess, not very well, even though they would have raced against weak opposition.

Those who still have bitter feelings about how the split ended will make this out to be a bad thing no matter how it shakes out.

If PT does well it will be "See how weak the talent pool is in the IRL?"

If he runs near the back of the pack it will be "It was a conspiracy to make him look bad to punish him (and the CC fans) for speaking out against the IRL. BTW this is an actual theroy being floated on some sites this week.

If he gets beat by Ed Carpenter it will be "Ed had better equiptment" & if he beats Danica it will be "We told you danica was over rated!"

I'm just glad to see him back in an OW car & am looking forward to the race. Cheers.

VkmSpouge
16th July 2008, 18:09
Excellent to have Paul Tracy come back even if it is a one-off deal. Walker Racing running the car under the Vision banner is also good, hopefully both Tracy and Walker will be able to do full seasons in 2009.

nigelred5
16th July 2008, 19:50

Actually most of the former CART drivers, which comprized what, about half of the field last year would probably have done just fine as most were quite good road racers. We all know Tracy is there entirely for promotional reasons, not to boost vision's chances of winning. if that were the case, he would be in Ed or Quattro's car. Too bad they can't get him on track this weekend to build a little more promotional value and get him some quality track time in the unfamiliar car.

Shirk
16th July 2008, 20:18
So he's going to drive one of those ***** (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crapwagon) after all...

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h95c/h9547126/02indy5k.gif

MDS
16th July 2008, 20:32
But I just don't see how anyone could take the fields from the last few years in CCWS and think they were the best in the world. Let's face it. The last few years Paul has been racing against cobbled together 15/16 car fields. A lot of good drivers, sure. But a whole bunch of them that were just so so and we'll never hear from again.

Had the merger not happened there would be 16/17 cars in the IRL field this year, possibly 15, depending on how much money TG wanted to spend on the moving chicane that is Marty Roth.

Its far past time both sides stop bitching about each other's past records and which field was weaker, or if Danica should have an * next to her win or if Will Power should. Or if every IRL event from 1996 to 2002 should have a * because of weak fields, or if Sebastien Bourdias should have a * next to his records because the CC field was weak from 2003 onward.

It's time to grow up and go forward. It's my hope that Forysthe and Derrick Walker find a sponsors for next year and return with two car teams and we start to see fields that are actualy worthy of the word Indy, haven't seen those since 1995.

pits4me
16th July 2008, 21:11
It's time to grow up and go forward. It's my hope that Forysthe and Derrick Walker find a sponsors for next year and return with two car teams and we start to see fields that are actualy worthy of the word Indy, haven't seen those since 1995.

Next we need a decent equipment package. American made chassis' to avoid exchange rate volatility, shipping costs & logistics, etc. If Dallara or Lola are courted, they should arrange for manufacturing in the USA.

Dagger
17th July 2008, 03:06
Paul Tracy brings out emotions in fans. You either love him or despise him. Either way he brings attention that is needed.

Phoenixent
17th July 2008, 04:24
I know one thing Queen Blocker better watch out or she will get the Horn. :D

Welcome Back PT. :up:

bravefish
17th July 2008, 10:55
Good to have another entry into the field no doubt. But Tracy? Smells of 'lets put a Canadian into the field to stir up interest' more than anything else.

Reckon he'll finish mid pack at best, if he doesnt stack it into the wall or beach himself. I just hope he doesnt screw up the race for one of the quality drivers/championship contenders with some banzai Paul Tracy special. The guy is little more than a liability these days - yeh sure, he's good for controversy and the odd fight in pit lane but thats about it.

Overated.

bblocker68
17th July 2008, 15:58
I know one thing Queen Blocker better watch out or she will get the Horn. :D

Welcome Back PT. :up:

It's great to have 2 polarizing figures in IndyCar now. I hope she doesn't try to pick a fight with him. PT's mom will lay her out and then go after Bev!

ACTF_ZETT
17th July 2008, 16:40
It's about time.

Umm, you think Paul Tracy is faster than Tony Kanaan? Your smoking more than crack my friend....

pits4me
17th July 2008, 19:06
Umm, you think Paul Tracy is faster than Tony Kanaan? Your smoking more than crack my friend....

In same equipment -- YES.

garyshell
17th July 2008, 19:13

What is Tony's record on road courses? Don't get me wrong here, I am a BIG fan of Tony, but on a road course I think Paul is every bit his equal or better, given equal equipment.

Gary

dataman1
17th July 2008, 19:31
What is Tony's record on road courses? Don't get me wrong here, I am a BIG fan of Tony, but on a road course I think Paul is every bit his equal or better, given equal equipment.

Gary

I support this statement and I will add that it seems that age and experience are making Tony less of a risk taker while Paul does not seem to have any fear. So...head to head with the same equipment going for the same corner, PT wins or takes out TK trying.

NickFalzone
17th July 2008, 20:16
Kanaan is the more consistent driver on any type of course, and in 2008 a better oval driver.

Chamoo
17th July 2008, 20:46
I support this statement and I will add that it seems that age and experience are making Tony less of a risk taker while Paul does not seem to have any fear. So...head to head with the same equipment going for the same corner, PT wins or takes out TK trying.

I'll second that. Just wait for the weekend, he will be running right up there. Walker has the setup sheets for the track, so do the rest of the CC guys. It will be fun watching the time sheets seem backwards.

inthemarbles
18th July 2008, 02:47
Everyone knows you can't spell EdmonPTon without PT.

seppefan
18th July 2008, 13:06
If this doesn't suggest the split hatchet is buried, I don't know what will.

It is buried for all those ( the majority ) who can see the future. Some sour grapes and some ( like me ) who miss CC bigtime but two series etc. Enough said. What does concern me is how big the field will be next year. The US Navy pull out of NASCAR. Are Panther safe with their sponsor ? Subway is a great new sponsor for the IRL especially as they were planning to be the NASCAR series sponsor a few years ago and I reckon if PT shows well they maybe the series sponsor next year. It is great PT is back, what chance Tag for the Canadian races in at Conquest even though they deny it.

celtichound
18th July 2008, 21:21
Long time lurker, first time poster here. :)

While I am glad to see PT in a car, I think here may be some merit to the idea that this is partially a marketing ploy to put butts in the seats in Edmonton..(and Toronto in '09???). That being said I have no idea how ticket sales for the Edmonton race are going. While I certainly hope he does well, I'm not overly optimistic. Little testing,unfamilar team,a questionably competative car......I just don't know. It is a "road" course so that may level the playing field somewhat. I don't think he needs to win or even podium (although that would be nice). But barring mechanical issues or being caught up in an incident not of his making, he certainly needs to finish reasonably well.

The instant classic
18th July 2008, 22:37
PT at edmonton = who will he fight with on that day? :ninja:

NickFalzone
18th July 2008, 22:57
Long time lurker, first time poster here. :)

While I am glad to see PT in a car, I think here may be some merit to the idea that this is partially a marketing ploy to put butts in the seats in Edmonton..(and Toronto in '09???). That being said I have no idea how ticket sales for the Edmonton race are going. While I certainly hope he does well, I'm not overly optimistic. Little testing,unfamilar team,a questionably competative car......I just don't know. It is a "road" course so that may level the playing field somewhat. I don't think he needs to win or even podium (although that would be nice). But barring mechanical issues or being caught up in an incident not of his making, he certainly needs to finish reasonably well.

That's the most significant part of the equation, why he got a good sponsor and why George is helping out. That said, PT may well be interested in a full IRL ride for 09, so this is something in that direction.

celtichound
19th July 2008, 00:20
That's the most significant part of the equation, why he got a good sponsor and why George is helping out. That said, PT may well be interested in a full IRL ride for 09, so this is something in that direction.
Yeah,it would be interesting to see what he could do with decent seat time and a well prepared team and car. I tend to agree with most, that his best driving years are behind him, not that he couldn't be competative if aforementioned situations were met. Time is running out for him in open wheel. I cann't imagine him being around in 2010-11 when they expect to have a new car (V-6 turbo???, less downforce... so they actually have to drive the car???), but thats a topic for another thread.
While PT is definitely a big draw here in Canada, how big a draw he would be in the IRL markets is questionable. Perhaps there are some out there that can fill me in on that.
From a Canadian standpoint, it's nice to have a Canadian to cheer for, but lack of one wouldn't stop me from attending the race here in Toronto. There are plenty enough good drivers to get behind. Always was a Bobby Rahal fan, still am. I could always cheer for Graham.
Maybe Andrew Ranger can find his way back. He'd be an improvement over Duno or Roth.

garyshell
19th July 2008, 00:27
While I am glad to see PT in a car, I think here may be some merit to the idea that this is partially a marketing ploy to put butts in the seats in Edmonton..(and Toronto in '09???).

I don't think anyone has ever been under the impression that this was anything else. From the very beginning "king George" and the ICS has made no bones about wanting PT in the car because of the PR value he represents especially north of the US. I for one am glad to know he DOES have that value.

Gary

maxmach
19th July 2008, 14:26
Jeezz guys, its one race. Whether he's punted out the first corner, crashes due to his fault in the second turn or wins the race, IT IS ONE RACE. The fact that we are talking about Him is good, if He generates more press for the race, that's good, if the national media pays more attention to him, and the race that's really good. Nuff said.

-Helix-
19th July 2008, 17:34
It's about time.

Uh riiight.

I'll be surprised if Tracy can stay on the lead lap. And that's if he doesn't put it in the wall before halfway.

jimispeed
19th July 2008, 20:39
Uh riiight.

I'll be surprised if Tracy can stay on the lead lap. And that's if he doesn't put it in the wall before halfway.

That may be true, but don't forget, PT has been racing a long time. When in CART he was an oval specialist!

It might be a natural transition for him..........we shall see.

nigelred5
20th July 2008, 01:43
That may be true, but don't forget, PT has been racing a long time. When in CART he was an oval specialist!

It might be a natural transition for him..........we shall see.

Less than half of his carreer wins were on ovals. I never considered him an oval specialist but He was driving for Penske early in his carreer when ovals were a substantial part of the schedule so he had lots of experience. Later in his CART carreer I think that experience just showed against guys with more of a true road racing background. He was usually good at Nazareth, but that was in the Penske days when they owned the track and did thousands of miles oval and roadcourse testing at Nazareth Speedway. It was a pretty neat little roadcourse track they would set up using the infield paddock as part of the track.

fugariracing
20th July 2008, 02:37
It is great PT is back, what chance Tag for the Canadian races in at Conquest even though they deny it.

I would say it is a good chance, Bernoldi is disgruntled and rumored to be on the way out. Of course money still talks and the only reason EB is in a seat in the first place is the Sangari backing.

If nothing else, Tag should come back for San Jose beatdown Pt II, and maybe the TV cameras wouldn't cut away from it...