PDA

View Full Version : Closed Tops For ALMS?

bennybigb
14th July 2008, 03:29
Hello,

When will those awesome closed top prototype racers make thier way into the ALMS series? I have not enjoyed LeMans this much since the early 90's!

Does anyone know??

F1boat
14th July 2008, 06:43
You mean the Peugeot cars? I think that they raced at Serbring, but prefer to race at the LMS in Europe.

rob01
14th July 2008, 12:09
well yeah Peugeot prefere to race in europe because of the sales im guessing, i dont think peugeot sell any cars in america do they?

i dont know how true it is but ive heard that racing at sebring dramatically increases your chances of getting an entry to le mans but then i find it hard to believe peugeot wouldnt get an entry being french but anyway...

in answere to your question... the regulations, thats what will decide when closed prototypes will go ALMS.
im guessing it wont be long after the rules for closed prototypes comes into force for the LMS and Le Mans if it hasnt already been decided...

wedge
14th July 2008, 13:23
The ACO mandated them for 2010 or 2011, can't remember but it's in a few years time so it means ALMS will have to run them.

They've been pre-empted by Lola and Dome at Le Mans this year. Fantastic looking cars, I have to say.

bennybigb
14th July 2008, 19:50
I wasn't just talking about the Peugeots. There were other great coupes at LeMans this year as well. I welcome them all! I think Sports Car racing is set for a comeback in the United States. Sports Cars continue to have the entire road racing fan base. I'm very happy for the future!!

weeflyonthewall
14th July 2008, 20:02
like this?

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/2008-mazda-furai-concept-images-update_1614.html

harvick#1
15th July 2008, 17:50
I personally hate it, it should be a choice, I like to Spyder designs much better than the Coupes, although the Lola-Coupe is just as pretty as the Spyder. I know LMP2 will still be Spyders, but I will miss the Spyders in P1, hopefully its just another phase throughout Lemans history

rob01
15th July 2008, 22:28
the Dome and the Lola look gorgeous in my opinion!
the Peugeot's got a bit of a funny nose but it looks pretty good too.

Miatanut
18th July 2008, 23:12
I personally hate it, it should be a choice, I like to Spyder designs much better than the Coupes, although the Lola-Coupe is just as pretty as the Spyder. I know LMP2 will still be Spyders, but I will miss the Spyders in P1, hopefully its just another phase throughout Lemans history

The open cars have always had their fans, but IMSA dropped significantly when the formula switched to open cars and Le Mans has enjoyed a significant increase since the coupes have started reappearing. The coupe fans seem to be a pretty substantial bunch, probably due to fond memories of Ford vs Ferrari, Porsche vs Ferrari, and various Porsche privateers during the last closed prototype era.

wbcobrar
28th July 2008, 23:55
I recently attended the B. Redman classic at Road America someone had the #8 Bently (R8). I always thought that car looked cool , but in person , that thing is spectacular !!!! Maby the best looking racecar ever .

bennybigb
29th July 2008, 03:24
That's what I'm talkin about.

Nothin fancy, just the most baddest racecar, ever.

I love a GTP, a Group C, or a LeMans Prototyoe Coupe.

Bring em on back!!

Miatanut
1st August 2008, 04:06
I recently attended the B. Redman classic at Road America someone had the #8 Bently (R8). I always thought that car looked cool , but in person , that thing is spectacular !!!! Maby the best looking racecar ever .

That was a beauty, but for me, it was this one: (IMSA which I watched in person)
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/RX-promo.jpg

Followed by this one: (LeMans which I never saw in person)
http://site.voila.fr/xjr14/xjr14/xjr14_silverstone_06.jpg

Can't wait until the closed prototypes make it to ALMS in force! :up:

theblackflagger
1st August 2008, 04:49
From what i'm hearing, the closed tops will arrive either this year or next year to conform to the ACO rules. I can't remember what year they go into effect, but it's real soon

Oli_M
2nd August 2008, 00:33
Pretty sure the closed top rules come into effect for the 2010 Le Mans. So assuming at the start of the 2010 series (both LMES and ALMS)??

Will this be the end of Audi in LM? Will they modify the R10 or design a new (R11?) to fit the new rules, or accept that having won 8 times they have achieved everything and call it time???

F1boat
2nd August 2008, 07:28
I hope that closed coupes are not forced using the rules. I prefer open prototypes. Besides, there are sportscar series with closed coupes, the Grand Am.

bennybigb
4th August 2008, 21:36
Thank you, Miatanut!!

Those are two of my favorites as well! Do you remember the scream of the Mazda rotary?? AMAZING!!!

Now wasn't the SilkCut Jaguar XJR-14, basically the same car driven by Davey Jones in the 1992 GTP series? They called the GTP car an XJR-16, but the cars look identical to me.....

I also really like the Jaguar XJR-9, and Porsche 962C (who doesn't love that one!)

Miatanut
5th August 2008, 03:49
Thank you, Miatanut!!

Those are two of my favorites as well! Do you remember the scream of the Mazda rotary?? AMAZING!!!

Now wasn't the SilkCut Jaguar XJR-14, basically the same car driven by Davey Jones in the 1992 GTP series? They called the GTP car an XJR-16, but the cars look identical to me.....

I also really like the Jaguar XJR-9, and Porsche 962C (who doesn't love that one!)

I don't remember that rotary sounding so distinctive, but maybe it's because I was used to that sound and loved it from the smaller rotaries in the lower levels. I know people often comment on the sound of that car. Love hearing the rotaries in Star Mazda. I always rooted for the Mazda (at the time I drove an Alfa), and it was always a bummer seeing them struggle with such a gorgeous car.

After I put that I never saw the XJR in person, I realized technically that was not true, because I watched Davey in the Castrol car. Somehow the Castrol car never looked as good to me as the SilkCut. I think there were slight changes in the shape for IMSA, and the livery wasn't as eye-catching.

Still, I always loved seeing those carbon brakes glow and hearing that odd whistle they made when it was braking.

Those were the days!

FormerFF
6th August 2008, 02:35
Don't forget, the closed top rule is only for P1. P2 will remain an open topped class.

bennybigb
6th August 2008, 03:43
Great! Everybody wins!

What about the rumor about the Mazda Coupe in P2?
Do the P2 racers have the choice between open and closed tops?

courageous
9th August 2008, 20:54
VERY strong rumour that the BK Lola-Mazda will be switching to the LMP2 Lola Coupe any race now.
At LM this chassis was keeping up with the Porsches so look for the team jumping up the grid a bit (maybe battling with Dyson; Penske & Acura is prob. a bit optomistic).

harvick#1
10th August 2008, 05:19
BK is getting the Coupe at Petit Le Mans

jimclark
11th August 2008, 04:26
Where you folks been? I posted the answer a week and a half ago...
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128699
:)