PDA

View Full Version : Mild, medium or HOT?

Hazell B
13th July 2008, 19:12
How do you like your curry?

One of our customers is married to a very nice Indian guy, who happens to make the bestest curries ever :facelick:
I'm talking Johnny Depp special, with a bit of Aston Martin and Dior class thrown in.

Today he arrived at our stall with his wife, a scowl, twenty quid and six tubs of assorted curry. He never speaks, just hands over the grub and goes to sit in his car while the lady of the house shops, chats and tries to talk my Mick into moving in with her :p :

Frankly, she can have him so long as those curries keep coming my way :up:

No idea what any of today's menu should be called, but it included pea and spinch stuff, two lots of potato in slimey sauce and some unidentified meatballs in dry herby goo. All hot, yet each allowing me to taste the contents. How do they do that? It's an art nobody but Indians have.

As a strictly medium balti person normally, I've tasted hot and it's .... hot :)

Tomi
13th July 2008, 19:49
Im not so big fan of Indian food, but Thai food I like a lot, I order it done the same way if they would cook it for them self, that very spicy, if the dish is ment to be spicy

GridGirl
13th July 2008, 20:54
When it comes to curry's I go for what I would consider a medium curry but most people that I generally eat curries with think are way way too hot. My favourite curry of the moment is King Prawn Saag, with mushroom pilau and a Kemma naan on the side. Yum!

Dave B
14th July 2008, 07:51
I used to take the view that "the hotter the better", and although I wasn't quite at Daz's level I could easily down a curry that would make most peoples' eyes water.

Nowadays I can appreciate the subtle flavours better, and usually have a more mild curry. I still wash it down with a nice cold Cobra though :facelick:

Bezza
14th July 2008, 08:27
Madras / Jalfrezi level for me. Great flavours and just the right level of spice - makes my lips tingle.

Vindaloo - too much.

LeonBrooke
14th July 2008, 08:49
Mild - I don't really have much tolerance for that sort of thing...

pino
14th July 2008, 08:53
I love curry and when I make it, I make it hot...very hot :lips: :D

leopard
14th July 2008, 09:28
There must be a lot of hot curry in the kitchen taken along from long leave. ;)

I used to eat spicy and hot when it comes to curry of mid-east cuisine. But in the last two years eating too much kebab forces me to consume more fruits and fibers.

Food made of snake make me afraid of having words poisonous :)

Daniel
14th July 2008, 09:44
I used to take the view that "the hotter the better", and although I wasn't quite at Daz's level I could easily down a curry that would make most peoples' eyes water.

Nowadays I can appreciate the subtle flavours better, and usually have a more mild curry. I still wash it down with a nice cold Cobra though :facelick:

I find that a hot curry just masks the flavour which in India before refrigeration and so on was the intention with what was pretty rancid meat.

I much prefer something ranging from mild to medium so like Dave says you can appreciate the subtle flavours. I'll usually have a Chicken Korma, a keema rice and a keema naan :facelick:

schmenke
14th July 2008, 17:51
Me so hungry :(

donKey jote
14th July 2008, 20:47
mouth watering just at the thought of a decent curry - the thing I miss most from the UK :facelick:
vindaloo is mild... I'd go for extra-hot :D :D :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

slinkster
15th July 2008, 16:52
I only like mild curries... I don't like food that hurts me so I avoid anything too spicey.

Hazell B
15th July 2008, 20:01
I don't like food that hurts me so I avoid anything too spicey.

That is pretty much what I always chose, or cooked for myself. Like Dave said, it's better to taste the ingredients rather than just heat.

However, with the assorted curries we're just about to finish (it's on the plate right now warming!) you can taste everything yet still get strong heat - and it's BRILLIANT :D

rah
15th July 2008, 23:27
Mild to medium for me. Always different, and I don't order rice with dinner. Eat as the indians do with breads. I have an Indian boss so I get some special stuff.

Storm
16th July 2008, 08:02
I normally go for medium spicy/hot level, but I bet our mild/medium is probably your max hot :)

rah, you got that right....curries (especially these north indian, mughlai style) have to be eaten with breads (indian breads that is, Naan, Roti or Paratha) :up:

J4MIE
17th July 2008, 00:13
I'm a mild kinda guy. I do not ever, ever, want to taste one of Pino's curries :s

maxu05
18th July 2008, 04:10
I love curry more than any other food on the planet. My ex-wife is half Indian and half English. Her mother,Indian, made the most awesome crab curry. My wife now, has a really great customer in Thailand, and he sent us a large box of red,green and yellow Thai curry paste, so, we are tucking into the Thai curry these days, MMMMmmmmmm, delicious. Hot,medium or mild, it is all good IMO.

Captain VXR
21st July 2008, 17:00
Any strength personally

SOD
21st July 2008, 23:38
Hot.

Daz
23rd July 2008, 21:00

I'm still lurking about here and guess what i had for tea tonight. You guessed it, curry. A very nice medium lamb tikka biryani with a keema naan bread. Very nice indeed it was. Still have a hotter curry ever now and then but also enjoy the medium ones too.

Rollo
23rd July 2008, 23:23
We are currently in that time of year in Sydney, when a night out on the town also ends by ordering a pint of hypothermia. On occasions like these, it's best to have a curry so hot that you can warm yourself by standing around someone's tongue.

harsha
1st August 2008, 17:40
I normally go for medium spicy/hot level, but I bet our mild/medium is probably your max hot :)

rah, you got that right....curries (especially these north indian, mughlai style) have to be eaten with breads (indian breads that is, Naan, Roti or Paratha) :up:

i prefer my curries to be very...... very spicy....

and we southies do have em with rice :D

but true,north indian curries are meant to be eaten with breads...

dc10
2nd August 2008, 00:02
Although I love Indian food I am not so keen on their curries. I prefer Chinese or Thai curry.

Donney
2nd August 2008, 09:22
I like my curry at least mild, sadly there's no Indian or Thai restaurant here and thanks to this thread I'm craving for curry now.... :mad:

dc10
2nd August 2008, 11:45
Bit early in the day for a curry isn't it?

Storm
4th August 2008, 08:22
I like my curry at least mild, sadly there's no Indian or Thai restaurant here and thanks to this thread I'm craving for curry now.... :mad:
You need to cook one yourself then! :)

J4MIE
4th August 2008, 23:26
I really do fancy a nice curry at the moment.... will have to make one tomorrow methinks :D

Dave B
5th August 2008, 10:42
I'm being taken to a lovely Indian restaurant tomorrow Jamie! :facelick:

Donney
5th August 2008, 10:43

I guess so, time to find a nice and easy recipe.

J4MIE
5th August 2008, 22:17
I'm being taken to a lovely Indian restaurant tomorrow Jamie! :facelick:

Fantastic, I presume there is room for one more (small! ;) ) person? :D

GridGirl
5th August 2008, 22:31
I'm currently working at a football club and had a lovely chicken Korma for lunch. If professional players are allowed a curry, I sure as hell can have one too. :D It must be healthy...although I'm not sure the Jaffa cakes and cup full of jelly beans for dessert was so good for the diet. :lips:

stevie_gerrard
6th August 2008, 16:38
i do love a hot curry :) But not massively hot, its got to be edible.

harsha
7th August 2008, 11:55

it's actually quite easy to cook a curry or something :cheese:

just make sure you've got the right quantity of the spices