PDA

View Full Version : Starting Grid

jarrambide
12th July 2008, 01:14
Helio, no surprise there
Danica "Mulder will prove they put me here for PR reasons" Patrick, for the record I´m not an X Files guy, I´m a Doctor Who guy.
Mutoh, are you sure the guy is a rookie?
Hunter-Reay, great to see him there
Scott Dixon, watch out Hunter-Reay and Wheldon, either he will pass you before green or spin in front of you :D
Dan Wheldon, not my favorite British driver
Tony Kanaan, lets go 7-11
Ed I´m so happy it is an oval Carpenter
Briscoe
Graham
Andretti
Rice
Wilson
Power
Meira
Milka, no, really guys, what is her real starting position?, come on, have it your way, yeah right, 16
Oriol
Manning, like hiim a lot more than Wheldon
Bernoldi
Moraes
Roth
Foyt
Bruno
Camara

indycool
12th July 2008, 02:17
It's certainly an interesting grid. Patrick qualifies well on the ovals and Mutoh has said his year in Lights prepared him well for ovals, but the two of them outqualifying Kanaan and Marco both on that team has to be considered a bit of an upset.

Justin Wilson just hasn't gotten the hang of ovals yet. And I never thought I'd say this, but Milka has improved....she sure ain't a frontrunner but she's getting closer to being a midpacker.

As I watched qualifying on the timing and scoring page, Hunter-Reay had a front row spot locked except for his last lap. Now that he has a win, figure he's gonna be a factor from here on out.

NickFalzone
12th July 2008, 03:02
I only watched a couple champ car races last year, but I feel bad for Wilson and Power this year. Yes, the unification was the best thing that could happen for open-wheel racing. But Power and Wilson were set to have amazing runs in the 08 CC season, and to one degree or another they're kind of lost now in the IRL. Between lack of oval experience (crew and driver) and just lame technical problems on the road courses, and it's got to be very frustrating for them right now. Both seem to be very serious, professional drivers so I expect them to pick it up certainly by early next season. But for right now they can't be having too much fun.

F1boat
12th July 2008, 10:41
I want Helio or Dan to win.

Dr. Krogshöj
12th July 2008, 13:07
It is high time for Helio's first 08 win.

DavePI2
12th July 2008, 13:53
I have 3 questions for tonights race.
1. how long will it take danica to go from 2nd to 10th?
2. how long will it take till we hear her complaining about the car or other drivers.
3. how long will it take to hear the announcing team making excuses for her inability to drive a car in traffic or blame other drivers for her mistakes?

david

beachbum
12th July 2008, 15:49
I have 3 questions for tonights race.
1. how long will it take danica to go from 2nd to 10th?
2. how long will it take till we hear her complaining about the car or other drivers.
3. how long will it take to hear the announcing team making excuses for her inability to drive a car in traffic or blame other drivers for her mistakes?

david

1. 20 laps After all, she hugs the bottom, is hard to get around (princess blocks-a-lot), and it will be a one groove track)
2. 10 laps
3. 5 laps

4. How many laps until we are "honored" with the "Danica in-car camera extravaganza? - First lap, maybe even the start
5. How long until the first post on any forum making excuses for the drop back? - First lap - after the first pass.
6. How many wasted or repetitious threads on internet forums about the Helmet? - zillions
7. How many laps until Marty is last? - 2
8. How many laps until Marty retires with "handling" problems? - 35 (just as he is about to be lapped the second time)

downtowndeco
12th July 2008, 17:14
Glad to see we're all discussing Danica again. Like I said before she's worth every penny she gets paid because love her or hate her people just can't stop talking about her. Best thing that happened to the IRL/OWR in the last ten years.

Looking forward to the race!

harvick#1
12th July 2008, 17:33
no Viso or Scheckter :( this sucks this week.

Milka has a good run, but race trim is different than Qualifying. but she did hold her own at Indy until Lazier was an idiot.

finally good to see the Helio on top for the start, look for the Ryan's to try and charge for the lead early, Briscoe is really coming into his own now learning the car, and HR was having a great run before Marco ran out of talent.

expect Marco to do something stupid again, especially at the end of the race.

really hope Power and Wilson can contend more on the ovals, they are both hungry drivers and would be great to see more players in teh game at the end of the race instead of the big 3 all the time

jarrambide
12th July 2008, 17:43
no Viso or Scheckter :( this sucks this week.

Milka has a good run, but race trim is different than Qualifying. but she did hold her own at Indy until Lazier was an idiot.

finally good to see the Helio on top for the start, look for the Ryan's to try and charge for the lead early, Briscoe is really coming into his own now learning the car, and HR was having a great run before Marco ran out of talent.

expect Marco to do something stupid again, especially at the end of the race.

really hope Power and Wilson can contend more on the ovals, they are both hungry drivers and would be great to see more players in teh game at the end of the race instead of the big 3 all the time

You surely don´t want the whole paddock sick do you?

NickFalzone
12th July 2008, 17:58
I wish Marty Reid would retire after 35 laps of handling problems. This is usually the point of the race where he starts calling Jaime Camara Enrique Bernoldi, or confusing Ryan Hunter-Reay with Ryan Briscoe.

FormerFF
12th July 2008, 18:39
I wish Marty Reid would retire after 35 laps of handling problems. This is usually the point of the race where he starts calling Jaime Camara Enrique Bernoldi, or confusing Ryan Hunter-Reay with Ryan Briscoe.

Then there'd be two Martys out with handling problems!

beachbum
12th July 2008, 18:40
I wish Marty Reid would retire after 35 laps of handling problems. This is usually the point of the race where he starts calling Jaime Camara Enrique Bernoldi, or confusing Ryan Hunter-Reay with Ryan Briscoe.Now there's a thought! When Marty R #1 retires with handling problems, Marty R #2 must retire with "handling problems". Wait, that won't work. We would have Goodyear to listen to for the majority of the race.

Ok here's another poll

1. How many laps until the first "lock step"?
2. How many laps until the first commercial?

Alexamateo
12th July 2008, 19:45
Haven't seen it mentioned, but Viso's out because he has the mumps!! :eek:

Do they not do the MMR vaccine in Venezuela?

Edit: Sorry didn't see HVM thread until now! :erm:

DavePI2
12th July 2008, 20:22
first thanks for the questions about roth, how could I forget to leave him out of the mix? What will be the avearage of green laps between commercials?

DavePI2
12th July 2008, 20:34
two more question too be fair to all drivers. Since Helio is on the pole how long until another stupid reference to dancing with the stars? Also how many laps until grahm puts it into the wall.

david

beachbum
13th July 2008, 00:17
two more question too be fair to all drivers. Since Helio is on the pole how long until another stupid reference to dancing with the stars? Also how many laps until grahm puts it into the wall.

davidWe have an answer to the first one. It was the lead-in story on the on-line and radio coverage.

Nikki Katz
13th July 2008, 00:52
The IRL has a maximum weight rule on the cars rather than the cars and driver doesn't it? Surely that would be a disadvantage to someone as tall as Wilson.
Having said that, though at least partly due to bad luck, he doesn't really have the results on the road courses this year either. Having watched ChampCar last year who would have thought that the only NHL victory would go to Rahal?