PDA

View Full Version : The I-phone

Valve Bounce
12th July 2008, 00:34
.........is released, and I am just simply waiting for some guys here to test it (at a shop or whatever) and come back with some answers.

I am impressed at the immense internet capability, and I just wonder at the cost of using the internet with it in Oz. What is the memory capability, storage capacity, what is the speed capability, and, most importantly, would it be able to pick up the ITV feed for F1 races.

I am sure that the cost will come down, and we will get improvements with the next generation of these phones, just like any mobile phone and electronic toys like the nano Ipods.

Not that I would be stupid enough to queue overnight to get an i-phone on the first day. I'd rather see what the geeks here have to say, wait a year and see what else is on offer.

GridGirl
13th July 2008, 21:01
A freind of mine rang up Orange the other day to see how long was left on his current contract. The guy at Orange asked why he was asking and was it because my mate wanted a new Iphone. My mate was like *errrrr* and then the orange guy told him that he knew he was on a hacked Iphone using an Orange SIM. Oooopppsss.

I seriously don't understand why people would queue just to get a phone. :s

Dave B
14th July 2008, 10:00
Be very careful if you're thinking of using an iPhone for streaming F1. I don't know what the situation is in Australia, but in the UK O2 advertise the iPhone tariff as having unlimited internet access but their T&C's say they don't allow streaming video / audio. :rolleyes:

Personally I think the iPhone is a triumph of style over substance. It's a georgeous looking little device, but lags about two or three years behind many other handsets. Also on principal I would never buy a phone with a built-in battery unless the battery life was exceptional.

Daniel
14th July 2008, 10:13
I seriously don't understand why people would queue just to get a phone. :s

I don't get it either. I'm the sort of person who likes having new and interesting stuff and I'm willing to sit in front of a computer waiting for something to come into stock but to stand out in the wind and rain with other similarly minded people is my idea of hell :mark:

I'm so lazy that when I wanted a Wii Fit I didn't spend all day pressing F5 I just left this open on my desktop :p

http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/Wii-Fit-Stock-Alerts.aspx

It's a well known fact that companies like Nintendo, Apple, Microsoft and Sony don't provide enough stock at launch on purpose just so there is an air of exclusivity to their products.

I'm not fussed about waiting for a 3g iPhone when I've had my N95 for over a year and it does all the same things as the iPhone and was cheaper. Each to their own though :)

Rallyst3ve
14th July 2008, 12:15
Probably not worth the money :o

GridGirl
15th July 2008, 21:24
I didn't queue for my Wii Fit or pre-order it. I walked into Game at 9.15am on the day they came out and asked if they had any. They did so I bought one. Admittedly I had already been and had my hair cut and the Wii Fit was only marginally more expensive. I had to force myself to go home by 9.30am before I spent anymore money. :p

So does anyone have the new Iphone yet? There's got to be someone....

veeten
21st July 2008, 13:53
well, there's the Samsung Instinct (PH-M800)

here's a review by CNET. :)
http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-instinct/4505-6454_7-33061246.html

SOD
21st July 2008, 14:20
no dire-phone for me

Roamy
7th August 2008, 23:06
Well I got my iphone this week - they are every bit as good a people say and light years ahead of the competition. I guess they have already sold 3 million or more of these and I can see why.

bowler
8th August 2008, 09:03
I got one on the day after the release, and spent three weeks trying to make it connect with my office. We run the wrong OS on our server, and it wouldn't connect.

I sold it, but was very sorry to see it go. It was a very good phone. :-(

martinbalmer
8th August 2008, 11:28
This is posted from an iPhone. I find it great to use and can genuinely use it for things i'd normally want a computer for, without feeling restricted. Not just email and general web, but admin tasks including FTP etc.

L5->R5/CR
8th August 2008, 15:39
Waiting for the third generation unit to come out...

DonJippo
8th August 2008, 16:41
Well I got my iphone this week - they are every bit as good a people say and light years ahead of the competition. I guess they have already sold 3 million or more of these and I can see why.

iPhone does not have anything what others don't have so I don't understand from where you get that it would be light years ahead of the competition?

Roamy
8th August 2008, 17:54
iPhone does not have anything what others don't have so I don't understand from where you get that it would be light years ahead of the competition?

It is obvious you don't have one. I was skeptical as well and had no idea how well it worked until I actually got it in my hand and hooked it up to my laptop.

Daniel
8th August 2008, 18:25
DonJippo. THe only problem I've found with my N95 is that you can't be pretentious and preachy to others about something which is not really all that much better than what the competition has had out for ages like people who have the iPhone. In that way the iPhone seems lightyears ahead of the competition :) I hope the N96 comes with an arrogance enhancing chip :p

GridGirl
8th August 2008, 18:39
Foutso, I am most probably wrong, but I thought Americans were always way behind Japan and Europe as far as mobile phones are concered. Therefore the new Iphone would be a revelation compared to whats currently on the market anyway.

My other half really wants an Iphone but I would rather have a N96 when they come out. When my contract was up last March I did think about waiting for the N96 to come out but I'm not that much of a saddo to wait 6 months for a bloody phone so upgraded anyway. Each to their own. :)

DonJippo
8th August 2008, 19:08
It is obvious you don't have one. I was skeptical as well and had no idea how well it worked until I actually got it in my hand and hooked it up to my laptop.

You are right, I don't have one so could you let me know what it has others don't have?

veeten
23rd August 2008, 21:20
looks like they're lining up to buy them in Poland.

well, sort of... :erm:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2328643,00.asp

Daniel
23rd August 2008, 21:23
I wish I'd known. I would have gone to laugh at them and would have taken my new sister in law as a translator.

Dave B
24th August 2008, 10:17
I've just upgraded to a Samsung Tocco. A tiny fraction thicker than the iPhone but the camera kick's the Apple's backside and I don't look like a sheep when I use it :D

Daniel
24th August 2008, 10:21
It's not totally related but I thought I'd post this :cheese: Could make for some good viewing if Jerry's told to say what PC users really think of Mac users ;) :p

http://www.dailytech.com/Jerry+Seinfeld+Burger+King+Ad+Firm+Join+Microsofts +AntiMac+Guy+Ads/article12731.htm

Roamy
24th August 2008, 18:46
iphone - ease of operation all the features work very well. Sync in very easy and does it right. email works very well syncing between you phone and computer. It is elegant, smooth, high quality. I also think the programming of apps will be very good as well. You are alway connected to the internet so email and the browser function is seamless.