PDA

View Full Version : What's worth discussing?

Knock-on
11th July 2008, 17:40
Nope, not a negative post, more of a positive one.

I love my motor racing. If it's got more than 1 Horsey, I want to race it, wheelie it, scratch it and rebuild it.

I like the technical side and I adore watching drivers with more ability in their little finger, than in my (some suggest) over inflated ego, doing battle like modern day Gladiators in steel, titanium and Kevlar encased weapons.

I love talking about these things but there seems to be too little to discuss about the actual sport these days.

Instead we get embroiled in drivers personalities, media quotes and the effect a perverts actions have on our sport!!

I'm not saying it's ever going to change on here. I'm not saying I'm not one of the protaginists. What I'm saying is that I want to judge a driver by what they do on track and not on whether we hate them because of some throw away comment written in the media.

We have one of the best seasons for a long time boiling up and it's a pleasure to watch. Don't really know if I have any more to say or what I am trying to say but that's it.

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 22:25
I understand what your saying. Lets talk about pure talent, cars and the love of f1 and have a chat without the opinionated driver bashing!

Valve Bounce
12th July 2008, 00:00
...........we have the yahoos who like to rubbish drivers who, for some reason, they don't like.

Take the case of Lewis Hamilton, who I regard as a brilliant driver. Despite some great drives last year, and this, we still get the bashers.

I guess I will just ignore bashing posts from now on. It makes for a more enjoyable time here.

MadDan
12th July 2008, 01:28
kimi quiting at the end of this year

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/07/11/F1-Raikkonen-dismisses-quit-rumours/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/motorsports/

Kimi Raikkonen has played down suggestions that he is ready to walk away from Ferrari and quit Formula One at the end of 2008.

The 28-year-old Finn is under contact at Ferrari until the end of next year and has hinted that it would be his last ever deal in F1.

But recent comments by the world champion betrayed his unhappiness in the sport and prompted rumours that he would call time on his career at the end of the year.

ioan
12th July 2008, 10:29
Nope, not a negative post, more of a positive one.

I love my motor racing. If it's got more than 1 Horsey, I want to race it, wheelie it, scratch it and rebuild it.

I like the technical side and I adore watching drivers with more ability in their little finger, than in my (some suggest) over inflated ego, doing battle like modern day Gladiators in steel, titanium and Kevlar encased weapons.

I love talking about these things but there seems to be too little to discuss about the actual sport these days.

Instead we get embroiled in drivers personalities, media quotes and the effect a perverts actions have on our sport!!

I'm not saying it's ever going to change on here. I'm not saying I'm not one of the protaginists. What I'm saying is that I want to judge a driver by what they do on track and not on whether we hate them because of some throw away comment written in the media.

We have one of the best seasons for a long time boiling up and it's a pleasure to watch. Don't really know if I have any more to say or what I am trying to say but that's it.

I fully agree with you.
Sadly I don't think that this will ever change due to the nature of the members who occasionally join the forum and have little knowledge about F1 but the last race they saw, and that's the only thing they will discuss, who bad was one or the other and how sensational was their idol.

I for one would be happy to have a technical sub-forum, and already asked for it, I won't even talk about the sub-par answer given by one of the mods.

F1boat
12th July 2008, 10:36
Honestly, Knock-on, I think that if you judge drivers only on their on-track action, you must like all of them. They are all very good drivers, my think. Especially the 4 who are competing for the title.
But a fan often needs a hero and a baddie. Some people pick Lewis, because he speaks too much. Other Kimi, because he speaks to little. It's an emotional decision, but people like to defend it.
It is part of the fun.

Ranger
12th July 2008, 11:04
I fully agree with you.
Sadly I don't think that this will ever change due to the nature of the members who occasionally join the forum and have little knowledge about F1 but the last race they saw, and that's the only thing they will discuss, who bad was one or the other and how sensational was their idol.

I for one would be happy to have a technical sub-forum, and already asked for it, I won't even talk about the sub-par answer given by one of the mods.

Start a thread on the technical issues of F1 ( I'd post in it :up: ) and they might be persuaded to start a technical sub-forum based on how successful that thread is.

markabilly
12th July 2008, 15:38
Too much of the time, people take this sport far too seriously, especially as to drivers and hero worship of some drivers and hatred towards others. I can say I have no hatred towards any, and find most of the drivers' behavior to be funny. Odd how some fuss about any attack on Lewis, but then have absolute disgust and hatred towards other drivers such as FA...

I pick on Hamster because of many of his pompous mouthings, but I am glad he does it, as sometimes it absolutely cracks me up, and causes such outraged fussing from others as they try to defend him. And then there is max and bernie...

But in motorsports, if at the end of the day, no one died, then it was a very good day, for sure.

dc10
12th July 2008, 17:55
That's a good idea, a technical subforum, I mean. I for one would be very interested in reading it although having none or very limited technical know-how probably wouldn't contribute much. It would be great to have a thread in which to ask questions about the technical side, history, etc. which would help those newer to F1 learn more about it.

dc10
12th July 2008, 17:58
That's a good idea, a technical subforum, I mean. I for one would be very interested in reading it although having none or very limited technical know-how probably wouldn't contribute much. It would be great to have a thread in which to ask questions about the technical side, history, etc. which would help those newer to F1 learn more about it.

At the moment I don't contribute much to posts in this forum as I don't like the usual driver bashing that virtually every thread eventually boils down to.
It would be great to just have nice, convivial chats about the various aspects of F1 for a change.

Knock-on
14th July 2008, 10:07
Honestly, Knock-on, I think that if you judge drivers only on their on-track action, you must like all of them. They are all very good drivers, my think. Especially the 4 who are competing for the title.
But a fan often needs a hero and a baddie. Some people pick Lewis, because he speaks too much. Other Kimi, because he speaks to little. It's an emotional decision, but people like to defend it.
It is part of the fun.

Fair points F1.

I suppose I get a bit frustrated with some of the Fanboys who seem intent of dissing anyone that challenges their team or driver, usually based on something unrelated to F1.

Kimi for example is criticised for having a few beers when partying or not being too talkative. What's that all about? He's got a wicked sense of humour and one of the more entertaining drivers when giving interviews but people slate him for having a beer? Pompous twunts :D

And, we can go through the others.

Lewis - Arrogant, self important, lucky, spoilt. big headed etc.
Button - Blah, blah
Alonso - Blah, Blah
etc.

But, as you say. That's life :D

schmenke
14th July 2008, 18:26
I enjoy discussing the technical aspects of F1 - indeed a major reason I follow the sport - but I'm not convinced that a seperate sub-forum is required.

pino
16th July 2008, 15:48
I enjoy discussing the technical aspects of F1 - indeed a major reason I follow the sport - but I'm not convinced that a seperate sub-forum is required.

Totally agree with you, you guys can discuss technical aspects in here (this forum) :)

Crank
20th July 2008, 03:07
Do I smell technical around here...? Thank God I showed up and cheer this thread up, my regards master Knockie.

I guess is good to talk about nuts and bolts from time to time, specially with so much going on outside the track..but from the wrong people, I would love to hear more of Kimi's adventures so I can envy him a bit more that I do know ;)

markabilly
20th July 2008, 03:21
so where is this discussion??????????????????????