PDA

View Full Version : Rally Cars

racer_era
10th July 2008, 00:30
Any Rally racing fans? Im not a huge fan but i think the X Games are going to be cool. Should be cool because theres going to be other athletes driving the cars. Travis Pastrana is a big racer now days, Davie mirra is also. Should be good stuff

Daniel
10th July 2008, 08:19
I personally don't get rally racing. Though I am partial to some rallying :)

racer_era
10th July 2008, 19:08
Yeah...See I was just never a big fan. I saw that it was i the X Games and looked up a few videos. Got me more interested. I think its one of those growing sports. It has alot more action then it used to

Daniel
10th July 2008, 19:09
Yeah...See I was just never a big fan. I saw that it was i the X Games and looked up a few videos. Got me more interested. I think its one of those growing sports. It has alot more action then it used to
You've not understood my post :p I'm saying don't call it "rally racing"

A rally is an event. You can't race rallies.
Rallying is the correct term to describe the sport.

racer_era
10th July 2008, 19:10
I think having bigger name athletes in the event really helps out. Seeing Travis Pastrana in it makes me want to watch a little more. We know how crazy he is on a bike.

racer_era
10th July 2008, 19:13
LOL Im sorry....I didnt get your post. I got you now

jso1985
11th July 2008, 19:57
wanna see some real quality rallying? then don't watch the X-games ;)

Zico
11th July 2008, 22:36
Yep, If you want to know about 'real' rallying watch the Group B era rally vids in particular..

Welcome to the forum btw..

TOgoFASTER
12th July 2008, 21:08
Let the Bs speak. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Mag3kA2J8&feature=related

janvanvurpa
12th July 2008, 21:36

Actually the cars have become so good there is less action.
The cars are so expensive that even factories can only afford to run a couple and most of the drivers are "buying" the seat and so there's less action from that as well.

Want to see some kick ass action?
Search F-cup or Group F or look up GruppH in Sweden, theres action in cars humans can afford and which are quite quick and there's 20-50 or more in your class.
makes for LOTS of trying, and that's good for action.

tmx
13th July 2008, 08:47
Xgames rally circuits are terrible and the people who set them up completely disregard safety aspects.

RichardM
17th July 2008, 00:10
We can all hope that won't happen this year.

racer_era
17th July 2008, 22:09
What makes the circuits suck at X Games? Are they just to small not extreme enough or what? I watched them last year and thought they were cool.

well maybe this year they will be better??
That class that has 50 cars in it sounds like it would be a blast to watch.

MrJan
18th July 2008, 07:39
Rallying isn't circuit racing mate. For a lot of real rally fans it's a bit of a joke seeing a BMX rider playing roundy roundy in a rally car.

XGames is a good spectacle and McRae (RIP) made it interesting but the event is a long way from being stood in a forest somewhere watching a real rally.

racer_era
18th July 2008, 19:07
Rallying isn't circuit racing mate. For a lot of real rally fans it's a bit of a joke seeing a BMX rider playing roundy roundy in a rally car.

XGames is a good spectacle and McRae (RIP) made it interesting but the event is a long way from being stood in a forest somewhere watching a real rally.

Yeah, I can see where your coming from. I watched this behind the scenes show on the X GAMES last night. They had a few things on Rally Racing. The cousres really are not as crazy as some of the ones I have seen on the speed channel and other rally events we get on TV now and then.

I can tell more and more people are getting into it. Maybe X Games will improve the course this summer????

You dont think Travis Pastrana is good?

Daniel
18th July 2008, 19:09
Yeah, I can see where your coming from. I watched this behind the scenes show on the X GAMES last night. They had a few things on Rally Racing. The cousres really are not as crazy as some of the ones I have seen on the speed channel and other rally events we get on TV now and then.

I can tell more and more people are getting into it. Maybe X Games will improve the course this summer????

Stop it! X Games is not rallying!!!!!!!!!

This is rallying.... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ria0MqSVAuI&feature=related

Tomi
18th July 2008, 19:15
Stop it! X Games is not rallying!!!!!!!!!

This is rallying.... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ria0MqSVAuI&feature=related

and this is too, 17mb
http://rapidshare.com/files/130673080/LANCIA_037_1000lakes.avi.html

RichardM
18th July 2008, 19:51

Travis is good but X Games is not a proof of that. At least as far as rallying goes. X Games does require good car control skills but it also seem to require a lot of luck. And unlike rally where a stage is many miles long, each heat at the X Games is very short. Sort of like comparing drag racing and F1. Or maybe drag racing and Le Mans.

MrJan
18th July 2008, 22:53

Firstly it's NOT rally racing, it's called rallying. Secondly, X-Games is not rallying, it's a jazzed up show for big crowds. Real rallying is run on 'stages' which are miles longer and a modern WRC event (which is much shorter than in years gone by) is hundreds of KMs. X-games will never truly represent what rallying is about, not that it isn't a great thing to watch.

As for Pastrana, I haven't seen much of him. I have seen Carlos Sainz, Colin McRae, Marcus Gronholm, Tommi Makinen and Sebastien Loeb though. Try typing some of those names into Youtube to see some really rally drivers. McRae is the only one not to have won more than 1 World Championship but he was still one of the most succesful drivers ever. Pastrana has done well in America as far as I'm aware, can't think of another half decent American rally driver though so probably not the greatest acheivment.

Rallyst3ve
18th July 2008, 23:04
Yeah stop calling it rally racing its rallying :D

Watch some proper rallying!!

Colin McRae at his best
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HJps5AhTFmw

SubaruNorway
18th July 2008, 23:11
It's not rallying for sure, but it tons better than the WRC SSS, good fun watching live.

MrJan
18th July 2008, 23:32
It's not rallying for sure, but it tons better than the WRC SSS, good fun watching live.

Agreed. X-Games is effectively a Super Special being done properly, big brash and spectacular. It's a format that was almost custom made to be monopolised by the Americans :up:

jso1985
19th July 2008, 01:19
exactly the x-games stages are glorified super-specials, just that, they don't test the real talent of the drivers.
WRC stages aren't "crazier", they are just more challenging, rallying isn't a "extreme" sport anyway

as for Pastrana, his only PWRC outings were a joke... that's it... he's certainly a legend with bikes or whatever he did before but on rallying he's just another rich talentless kid

racer_era
21st July 2008, 19:41
Yeah stop calling it rally racing its rallying :D

Watch some proper rallying!!

Colin McRae at his best
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HJps5AhTFmw

Ok, Well now I checked out some real rallying. I see what you guys are saying. The X Games events are nothing like that video.
I do see how people would not agree with X Games being real rallying. Although I still find in fun to watch. Maybe not as extreme but still exciting.