PDA

View Full Version : Mike King and Davey Hamilton should be doing the TV side.....

ChicagocrewIRL
9th July 2008, 19:26
As Paul Page used to do the IMS Radio feeds before moving up to the TV side, Mike King and Davey Hamilton should be in the ESPN/ABC booth calling the races. King has a distinctive exciting quality that would greatly enhance my viewing of the races. Davey Hamilton is as knowledgable and charismatic as any driver out there and does a great job as King's wingman. In the Chicago area our IMS radio network radio station is very weak so I can't turn down the TV feed and put on the radio feed. I really wish I could. I hope there is some sort of change for next year. Marty Reid has to go .

BobGarage
9th July 2008, 21:38
can't argue with that. I listened to the IMS radio feed for St. pete, Long Beach and Milwaukee.

They are good, although weren't brilliant with the road courses. In Milwaukee they were outstanding and picked out so many things that Lee and Rice on the international feed missed completely.

!!WALDO!!
9th July 2008, 21:57
can't argue with that. I listened to the IMS radio feed for St. pete, Long Beach and Milwaukee.

They are good, although weren't brilliant with the road courses. In Milwaukee they were outstanding and picked out so many things that Lee and Rice on the international feed missed completely.

On a serious note, which is harder to do? Radio or TV? As a person that grew up listen to all Major sports on the radio it is radio as the person listening must see the game or race through the eyes of the announcer. Thus yes, they may pick up something the TV guys didn't because the TV side expects the persons viewing to see things for themselves. Like being there. I go to the Chicago Baseball games on both sides, I do not need, Pat and Ron or Ed and Steve telling me what is going on. I can see it. I went to bed last night as the White Sox went to extra innings so I needed the pictures painted by Ed and Steve to see the game in my mind.

It seem that imagination is something lost in the TV era but yet we need voices to tell us what is going on before our very eyes. Thank god I don't so leave good people painting the pictures and leave the others to explain the art to those that do not understand.

ChampUSfan
18th July 2008, 21:44
As Paul Page used to do the IMS Radio feeds before moving up to the TV side, Mike King and Davey Hamilton should be in the ESPN/ABC booth calling the races. King has a distinctive exciting quality that would greatly enhance my viewing of the races. Davey Hamilton is as knowledgable and charismatic as any driver out there and does a great job as King's wingman. In the Chicago area our IMS radio network radio station is very weak so I can't turn down the TV feed and put on the radio feed. I really wish I could. I hope there is some sort of change for next year. Marty Reid has to go .

Totally agree. I listen to the IMS radio Network via indycar.com and everytime I listen to Mike and Davey, I learn something really interesting.

The instant classic
18th July 2008, 22:35
i agree, but i have one quick Q&A for anyone, what ever happen to paul page? my first year of watching indycar he was doing the play by play then in 2005 he was gone? if anyone knows let me know plz thanks

NickFalzone
18th July 2008, 22:55
Page is doing NHRA. And it's too bad. We need more genuine race fans calling the races. Reid and Goodyear range from mediocre to decent, but the excitement and depth of knowledge is just not as strong as even the IMS guys.

jimispeed
18th July 2008, 23:08
It's a shame that Indycar has overlooked a former Indy lights champion.........Jon Beekhuis

He deserves to be on the crew!!!

Kyle-Busch-Owns-All
19th July 2008, 01:32
Page is doing NHRA. And it's too bad. We need more genuine race fans calling the races. Reid and Goodyear range from mediocre to decent, but the excitement and depth of knowledge is just not as strong as even the IMS guys.
thx i wasnt sure what happend to him, i always like him he knew how to draw you into the race more, goodyear is also great, but reid is bad

The instant classic
19th July 2008, 02:06
thx i wasnt sure what happend to him, i always like him he knew how to draw you into the race more, goodyear is also great, but reid is bad
Btw i log in with the wrong name lol kyle busch is my nascar name lol

but thx for letting me know i always wonderd what happen to paul page

Mad_Hatter
19th July 2008, 17:29
Really is a night and day difference between how dull the ABC guys are and how knowledgeable and a bit more exciting the live feed guys are.

RaceFanStan
19th July 2008, 17:31
Btw i log in with the wrong name lol kyle busch is my nascar name lol ...
Let's end the confusion, Kyle-Busch-Owns-All has just met his demise.

Dr. Krogshöj
20th July 2008, 07:33
Paul Page is doing NHRA? I thought he retired. I don't get it. He is too old to do Indy but good for NHRA?

ChicagocrewIRL
20th July 2008, 14:24
Paul Page is doing NHRA? I thought he retired. I don't get it. He is too old to do Indy but good for NHRA?

At least he is doing racing events again.... at one point after he was booted off the IndyCar shows, he was the play by play guy for all of ESPN's coverage of eating contests like the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest they have every year at Coney Island. When I was watching Takeru Kobayashi downing a gazillion hot dogs, it was Paul Page doing the play by play. Sad . At least he is back in racing.

gofastandwynn
23rd July 2008, 20:21
It's a shame that Indycar has overlooked a former Indy lights champion.........Jon Beekhuis

He deserves to be on the crew!!!

I think you will be happy with Edmonton then...

Jenkins joins Edmonton broadcast team

With ESPN on ABC/ESPN IndyCar Series lead announcer Marty Reid having a network commitment to the NASCAR Nationwide race in Indiana this weekend, longtime IndyCar Series broadcaster Bob Jenkins will call the action of the Rexall Edmonton Indy (5 p.m. ET, ESPN).

Analyst Scott Goodyear will join Jenkins on the broadcast. Also, patrolling pit lane at Edmonton will be Brienne Pedigo and Jon Beekhuis.

The broadcast team also will call all the qualifying action on indycar.com at 5:15 p.m. (ET) July 25.

Dr. Krogshöj
23rd July 2008, 20:47

IRL/ESPN should try and get Bob Varsha from SPEED to do the play-by-play, he's the best for job. I don't know who would be the ideal candidate for colour. For the pits, Jon Beekhuis, Jamie Little and Vince Welch get my vote.

fugariracing
23rd July 2008, 22:51
IRL/ESPN should try and get Bob Varsha from SPEED to do the play-by-play, he's the best for job. I don't know who would be the ideal candidate for colour. For the pits, Jon Beekhuis, Jamie Little and Vince Welch get my vote.

That would be great, wouldn't it? But chances are BV and JL aren't going anywhere. The days of Varsha and either Kendall, Pruett or Sullivan as colour guy were fun to watch.

Either way, this Jenkins and Scott pairing with Jon and Brienne in the pits should be interesting. Jon run circles around Bri as a quality pit reporter and should be on the team next year for sure.

jimispeed
24th July 2008, 05:06

YEEAAHOOOOOOEEEY!!!!!!!

Wilf
24th July 2008, 05:35
YEEAAHOOOOOOEEEY!!!!!!!

Don't celibrate too early. We still need a producer and director combo who understands racing. Jenkins and Beekhuis will be a great improvement but they are only part of the team who hasn't produced a strong product so far.

bblocker68
24th July 2008, 16:49
Good thing Jenkins wont have to worry about pronouncing Rodolfo Lavin :)

He is much more knowledgeable with IndyCar than he was with Champcar when he got thrown in to call those races, so he should do well. I think it will be a nice change of pace. I'm not a huge fan of Jon in the pits, but I think he does a great job in the booth. I think just the opposite of Derek Daly: Great in the pits, horrible in the booth. Hearing, "Hold on to your Hoolyhocks" made me sick after awhile :) I think he'd do a great job in the paddock. Let's go find Tommy Kendall while we're at it. He and PT on TV at the same time is always entertaining. I think he's owned by FOX (SpeedTV) along with Varsha, so I doubt if we'll ever see him on ESPN until their contracts are up.