PDA

View Full Version : Car Numbers

CCFan
9th July 2008, 18:05
If this has been discussed before, my apologies.

Does anyone know why the IRL allows Justin Wilson (02) & Graham Rahal (06)to have car numbers that are essentially the same as Foyt IV (2) & Briscoe's (6)?

inimitablestoo
9th July 2008, 20:07
Don't know, but I don't like it. I realise there are probably bigger issues in the series, and certainly were when Newman/Haas/Lanigan came in, but we've not exactly run short of other two-figure numbers yet, so why they're 02 and 06 I've no idea.

They did win the Champ Car title last year, but I suppose it would have been a bit cheeky to come to the IRL and ask for the number 1... ;)

BenRoethig
9th July 2008, 21:11
If this has been discussed before, my apologies.

Does anyone know why the IRL allows Justin Wilson (02) & Graham Rahal (06)to have car numbers that are essentially the same as Foyt IV (2) & Briscoe's (6)?

Technically the number are 100 series. Why did they let them use them? 0x numbers are frequently used in U.S. racing as it gives an additional 10 numbers that can be used. Why use them? Newman Haas's traditional numbers are 2 & 6. 2 was taken by Vision (and Panther before that) and 6 was used by Penske. 02 and 06 were available.

jwhite9185
10th July 2008, 14:43
Hopefully they will re do the numbers next year, with the previous years champion having to use the number 1, rather than it being optional.

BenRoethig
10th July 2008, 14:58
I never liked that practice.