PDA

View Full Version : RM notes....

!!WALDO!!
9th July 2008, 17:11
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-open-wheel-notebook1//P2/

Some stuff about Surfer's and Herta being hired to coach Carpenter and Foyt.

F1boat
9th July 2008, 17:37
As always, grear comment.

dataman1
9th July 2008, 22:02
Robin is correct IMO about the abuse of the mechanics. Most likely they worked hard to change an engine or something following qualifications the previous afternoon. They come in early, prepare the car for the warm up session, do the warm up and give an engineer time, he will change everything on the car between warm up and the race which means no down time for the crew. Yep, on race day the driver is in his motor coach taking a nap, when not doing PR work, while the mechanics do the grunt work, then they put on a firesuit and change tires without making a mistake. They deserve more credit.

NickFalzone
10th July 2008, 03:13
Robin is correct IMO about the abuse of the mechanics. Most likely they worked hard to change an engine or something following qualifications the previous afternoon. They come in early, prepare the car for the warm up session, do the warm up and give an engineer time, he will change everything on the car between warm up and the race which means no down time for the crew. Yep, on race day the driver is in his motor coach taking a nap, when not doing PR work, while the mechanics do the grunt work, then they put on a firesuit and change tires without making a mistake. They deserve more credit.

Rahal went along those lines at the WGI press conference:

http://www.indy500.com/videos/watch/1214-Podium_Finishers_During_A_Press_Conference_At_Watk ins_Glen

I know that in racing, the mechanics and engineers are often the unsung heroes, but for smaller one-car teams that are wrecking equipment, it's really a miracle that they get these cars back together so quickly and to winning form. Really deserving credit this season are the transition teams, even the bigger ones like NHL, who with little Dallara experience have done 24-36 hour shifts to get their cars back on the track. And then worked the races at the end of all that.

Hotlavaaaa
11th July 2008, 06:39
"Speaking of Surfers Paradise, it looks like the exhibition race down under will come off as scheduled in October but still no definite date for 2009. The IRL has offered early in the season or a couple weeks earlier than the current date in October so it can package Aussie with Japan and make one trip."

Does the IRL realize that the Indy part of Surfers has become very much second fiddle to the V8 Supercars? A couple weeks before Surfers is the Bathurst 1000 anyways. Good luck to the IRL if they think they can throw their weight around and make something happen. A1GP will be in there to take their place faster than you can blink.

Spiderman
11th July 2008, 08:50
... Herta being hired to coach Carpenter and Foyt.

Did I miss something, or do they go to Laguna Seca next year?

garyshell
11th July 2008, 15:05
... Herta being hired to coach Carpenter and Foyt.

Did I miss something, or do they go to Laguna Seca next year?

He's been hired to teach the "Heimlich Maneuver".

Gary

dataman1
11th July 2008, 15:46
He's been hired to teach the "Heimlich Maneuver".

Gary

Gary,

That's a good one. I laughed so loud I frightened my dog.