PDA

View Full Version : DTM cars at Le Mans?

F1boat
9th July 2008, 16:19
I know that the idea is a bit silly, but given the fact that the DTM cars are faster or equal to the GT cars and the fact that Mario Theissen has called the DTM a GT championship, would you lile to see the DTM cars at the Le Mans 24 Hours race?

wedge
9th July 2008, 17:21
DTM regulations are completely different to the ACO.

Or do you mean seeing those models?

GT class, IMHO, should be the exotic 2-door sports cars like Ferraris and Porsches. Seems a bit funny having BMW M3s when they were in ALMS/IMSA even though they're competitive.

Family based models should be Touring cars.

But for sure it would be an interesting sight seeing those cars doing the full track.

DTM probably needs to be back at Spa.

They used to run the full Nordschleiffe up until the mid-90s. Some years ago Opel and Audi used to compete at the Nurburgring 24hrs adapted from DTM cars.

F1boat
9th July 2008, 17:48
They used to run the full Nordschleiffe up until the mid-90s. Some years ago Opel and Audi used to compete at the Nurburgring 24hrs adapted from DTM cars.

Yes! I remember. They were terrific!!! :)

F1boat
9th July 2008, 18:32
DTM regulations are completely different to the ACO.

Or do you mean seeing those models?

I meant DTM cars to be allowed as another class. I know that it is not likely, but would you like to see them racing at Le Mans?

rob01
12th July 2008, 15:32
interesting idea.
but it just doesnt seem right when you think about what races at le mans.

Marshall
12th July 2008, 15:50
The more the merrier I suppose, but I'd rather see the Japanese Super GT cars.

wedge
14th July 2008, 14:25
I think the DTM vs Super GTs would be an interesting race. Similar spec cars, IIRC.

Marshall
14th July 2008, 14:29
Hmm that's interesting. Wonder how difficult it would be to streamline them to similar performance.

I'd love to see them up against each other.

F1boat
14th July 2008, 15:41
I think the DTM vs Super GTs would be an interesting race. Similar spec cars, IIRC.

Pity, I haven't seen the Super GT cars in action. :(

weeflyonthewall
14th July 2008, 18:09

And a few AV8 Holdens and Falcons.

rob01
15th July 2008, 23:32
DTM vs aussie V8's vs Japanese Super GT's!

sounds like a championship worth organizing!!

wedge
15th July 2008, 23:44
Hmm that's interesting. Wonder how difficult it would be to streamline them to similar performance.

I'd love to see them up against each other.

DTM has about 460bhp, GT500 (premiere class) in SuperGT is limited to 500bhp. Anything goes regarding bodywork aero in both though their rear wings are larger but no idea how much they weigh.

And a few AV8 Holdens and Falcons.

They're heavier and less sophisticated aero.

wedge
16th July 2008, 14:25
Just remembered the Rahal-Letterman BMW M3 which will run in GT2 in ALMS next year.

Would be quite interesting if it went up against Mercedes CLK 63 and Lexus ISF

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/bmw/2009-BMW-M3-Race-Version/m308_alms01.jpg

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/bmw/2009-BMW-M3-Race-Version/m308_alms03.jpg

rob01
17th July 2008, 13:15
gotta love that car!

29th August 2008, 19:25
world of warcraft gold Promotion! Here guarantee the lowest price of wow gold (http://www.akgame.com) in the market! There will can make your wow life rich and we can promise you will be a hero in world of warcraft cause you will have more and more wow power level (http://www.wow-power-leveling.com) to get good weapen and other stuff ! we have sell Buy wow gold the price Slashed again! Unbeatable price from the direct sale. You are buying World of Warcraft gold (http://www.akgame.com/world-of-warcraft-eu-c-2.html) from the game developers directly, not from the resellers, no hacking, no cheating, guarantee work ! but please keep your mind clear , don't pay more time and money there , cause you have your live life ! ok that's all thanks for your read . ( maybe this is a good news)

JSH
29th August 2008, 19:38
DTM has about 460bhp, GT500 (premiere class) in SuperGT is limited to 500bhp. Anything goes regarding bodywork aero in both though their rear wings are larger but no idea how much they weigh.

They're heavier and less sophisticated aero.

Yes, the V8Supercars are heavier, but they have more power.

I think the strengths and weaknesses of each, could make for interesting racing. ... you know... a bit like the old days when race cars in a series were all different. :eek:

jslone
30th August 2008, 06:05
if they can change the rules to allow for dtm to compete in Le Mans it would be great.Because after a while to see only the vetts and Astons run against each other can be boring.

nigelred5
30th August 2008, 13:32
Personally, if it's got 4 wheels and races in a major sports car series anywhere, it should be eligible for a race like Lemans.

Daniel
30th August 2008, 13:57
A v8 stupidcar would get absolutely massacred by a dtm car.

BrentJackson
2nd September 2008, 16:05
A v8 stupidcar would get absolutely massacred by a dtm car.

Depends on the track. The DTM car has more grip, the V8s more power. At most European tracks, the DTM would clean the V8's clock. At Bathurst or other long-straight tracks (Road America, Silverstone, Adelaide, et cetera) it would be a much closer race.

As far as Le Mans being an open race, I don't know if I'd want V8s in it. V8s are more tin-top, less sportscar. DTM and Super GT, sure. Grand-Am Daytona Prototypes, too. The Classes would be:

P1 - current P1 rules
P2 - current P2 rules
P3 - Daytona Prototypes
GTX - Super GT/DTM cars
GT1 - current GT1
GT2 - current GT2
GT3 - current GT3

Of course, if it were me I'd have more pit boxes installed and run Le Mans with 80-100 cars instead of 50, but that's just me. :)

ChrisS
2nd September 2008, 20:04
I'm not really up to date with Sportscar and Touring car racing but why is Super GT considered to be the Japanese equivalent of DTM and V8 Supercars by so many posters?

Isn't Super GT the Japanese equivalent of the Le Mans GT class with GT500 the equivalent of GT1 and GT300 the equivalent of GT2?

I mean Super GT is a GT class with Japanese sports cars like the GTR, NSX, Supra and a few European sports cars traditionally taking part with Toyota recently using SC 430s since they no longer have a sports car. DTM and V8 Supercars are touring car championships using 4-door 'family' cars, even if under their shells they are pure racing cars.

BoilerIMS
2nd September 2008, 21:28
The Super GTs are close to GT1 and GT2 in terms of horsepower, but the aero and suspensions are so tricked out that the GT500 class just walks away from ACO GT1 cars. A Maserati MC12 was brought over (without the FIA-GT restrictions) for the JGTC and it was completely outclassed by the GT500s.

wedge
3rd September 2008, 00:40
The Super GTs are close to GT1 and GT2 in terms of horsepower, but the aero and suspensions are so tricked out that the GT500 class just walks away from ACO GT1 cars. A Maserati MC12 was brought over (without the FIA-GT restrictions) for the JGTC and it was completely outclassed by the GT500s.

:eek:

nigelred5
3rd September 2008, 03:41
I'm not really up to date with Sportscar and Touring car racing but why is Super GT considered to be the Japanese equivalent of DTM and V8 Supercars by so many posters?

Isn't Super GT the Japanese equivalent of the Le Mans GT class with GT500 the equivalent of GT1 and GT300 the equivalent of GT2?

I mean Super GT is a GT class with Japanese sports cars like the GTR, NSX, Supra and a few European sports cars traditionally taking part with Toyota recently using SC 430s since they no longer have a sports car. DTM and V8 Supercars are touring car championships using 4-door 'family' cars, even if under their shells they are pure racing cars.

I suppose because each is essentially the top level production/silouette class i ntheir arena. P1/P2 and DP have little to do with a street car in appearance or performance. Sure some GT cars are pure racing machines in a street car silouette, while others are production based racing machines, but what they all have in common is they LOOK like street cars unlike the prototypes.