PDA

View Full Version : Reports - Santander and Alonso to switch allegiance to Ferrari for 2009 and beyond

Giuseppe F1
9th July 2008, 15:03
Interesting development this.....

.....and of course Santander's 'RED/WHITE' colour scheme should fit in well with the Scuderias colour scheme...

If this is a goer, would the signage on the rear-wing be at the expense of 'Etihad Airways' or 'Marlboro'?

Hopefully Ferrari FINALLY go tobacco free but I cant see it from Philip Morris unfortunately -

The Santander chairman does seem a real petrol head and committed to the sport however which is a good thing for whoever gets the Santander deal into 2009 - Ive spotted him on TV on grid walks at many of the races since 2007...always with Uncle Bernie closely in toe!

So, will we see a Santander-Alonso-Ferrari tie up in 2009? You read it here first if we do! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080709105737.shtml

Ongoing Alonso rumours
Santander, Alonso, set for Ferrari switch
09/07/08 10:57

Major McLaren sponsor Santander, a Spanish bank, is to switch allegiances to Ferrari for 2009 and beyond, according to reports.

German magazine Sport Bild claims that the deal is worth up to 25 million Euros per season, and could involve the driving services of former champion Fernando Alonso.

Santander began sponsoring McLaren last year, coinciding with 26-year-old Alonso's multi-season contract to race with the Mercedes-powered outfit.

His relationship with the team famously turned sour, however, and it now emerges that Santander wants to follow suit and depart.

Sport Bild says the Santander-Ferrari-Alonso deal involves lettering on the drivers' overalls as well as front and rear wing signage, and a 30 million Euros per year contribution to Alonso's retainer.

Alonso said at Silverstone that he is waiting until as late as September before determining the identity of his team for 2009.

Fascinatingly, Ferrari - albeit with both current drivers already under contract - often announces its next driver line-up at Monza, which this year takes place on September 14th.

Santander boss Emilio Botin was at Silverstone for last weekend's British Grand Prix.

The Spanish newspaper Diario AS speculates that Alonso's team-mate at Ferrari next year would be Kimi Raikkonen, following Felipe Massa's disastrous showing at Silverstone last weekend.

"I don't know if the rumours are true," Ferrari test driver Marc Gene told sport.es, "but I don't see there would be a problem having Kimi with Alonso, or Felipe with Alonso, or staying with what we have now."

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

I am evil Homer
9th July 2008, 15:22
Not sure I believe this....Santander, through it's Abbey brand uses Hamilton heavily in its ads. However, if they do go I can't see it being a problem for McLaren as Lewis is easily the most marketable drivers on the grid. I think Santander got plenty of decent PR from the British GP this year without Alonso :D

Nikki Katz
9th July 2008, 22:04
Bild isn't generally a reliable source is it? I guess that this is possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. Massa had a shocking race but he is joint leader in the championship at the moment, I don't really think it's fair to write him off as a result of that. Alonso's also made a number of errors in races this year.

fabricator/61
9th July 2008, 22:05
Could we see a Marlboro Mclaren again. It was their early involvement with Mclaren in the '70's that let to team uniforms.

SGWilko
9th July 2008, 22:48
Could we see a Marlboro Mclaren again. It was their early involvement with Mclaren in the '70's that let to team uniforms.

On a British team, with Fag ad banned. Two hopes, Bob and No. ;)

ShiftingGears
10th July 2008, 02:06
I'd be pleased if Alonso ends up with a top team like Ferrari next year. I'm sure he'd get along with Kimi or Massa.

aryan
10th July 2008, 03:51
While it is possible, remember that this is BILD we are talking about.

Lennat
10th July 2008, 20:26
I hope it's true, would love to see him in a Ferrari. :)

Corny
10th July 2008, 20:44
Can't believe it

Tazio
10th July 2008, 23:13
I don't know the validity of this report. But Ferrari need him! IMHO

Rollo
11th July 2008, 01:39
I'd be pleased if Alonso ends up with a top team like Ferrari next year. I'm sure he'd get along with Kimi or Massa.

On what basis?

Alonso a former World Champion with another former World Champion or current World Champion (assuming Massa did win the 2008 title). Alonso already proved that his ego couldn't cope with someone who might also have a shot at the title in his own team in 2007. Putting him with Kimi or Massa would be like repeating the experiement and would have the same results as putting together Prost & Senna, Alonso & Hamilton, Arguecat & Ceiling Cat, Stephanie &... it just wouldn't work very well.

leopard
11th July 2008, 05:14
I think now Alonso in combination with any driver would work out. He should learn from last year experience. Besides, Ferrari and the rest of teams are not the same as McLaren better known that they can't perfectly manage their drivers in the past.

Lennat
11th July 2008, 05:23
Who do you guys think he would replace IF he was to join Ferrari already next year?

I doubt that they would sack Kimi, so basically, as i see it Kimi would have to retire out of his own will, or perhaps they could rent Massa to some other team? I don't belive that they would like to just fire him....

MadDan
11th July 2008, 05:48
But would they sack massa

2002 Formula 1 debut with the Sauber team
2003 test driver - Ferrari F1 team
2004 Re-joins Sauber F1 team as a full time driver
(placed there by Ferrari)
2005 Confirmed to join Ferrari F1 as team-mate to Michael Schumacher

http://formula1.about.com/od/profiles/p/massa.htm

His Career Thus Far:

With such clear success in the lower formulas, Felipe was spotted early on by Ferrari and signed to a retainer contract for several years. But he started racing in F1 at the Sauber team - powered by a Ferrari engine - and in his first season, in 2002, he was considered fast, but a bit wild. He finished five races in accidents.

He he took a year off racing the following season, test driving for Ferrari, and learning more technical baggage and "calming down." When he returned to Sauber in 2004, Peter Sauber, the team owner, said that he had improved vastly, and indeed after scoring only 4 points in 2002, he scored 12 in 2004.

ONE TEAMS MASSA IS another teams lewis

DezinerPaul
11th July 2008, 09:46
Why would Ferrari want Alonso, he has clearly shown that he is just another driver, unless he is in a dominate car. This is one Ferrari fan that will never watch the Hobbit, drive for the Prancing Horse!

Big Ben
11th July 2008, 12:39
Why would Ferrari want Alonso, he has clearly shown that he is just another driver, unless he is in a dominate car. This is one Ferrari fan that will never watch the Hobbit, drive for the Prancing Horse!

go check your statistics again... you're way off... as usual

11th July 2008, 12:40
go check your statistics again... you're way off... as usual

He's also not a real Tifosi.

ShiftingGears
11th July 2008, 12:44
This is one Ferrari fan that will never watch the Hobbit, drive for the Prancing Horse!

I take it that if Alonso does drive for Ferrari, you'll stop watching F1?

LeonBrooke
11th July 2008, 12:44
Alonso is a skilled driver, there's no disputing that. But so are Kimi and Felipe - I can't see Ferrari dumping either of them. Nice idea, but I don't think they'd go for it.

Knock-on
11th July 2008, 12:53
Alonso is a skilled driver, there's no disputing that. But so are Kimi and Felipe - I can't see Ferrari dumping either of them. Nice idea, but I don't think they'd go for it.

Agreed.

Kimi is proven and is the current WDC. Felipe shows signs of maturing into a good title contender this year but I don't think he has the consistency and mental strengh to pull it off on 08. Still, he would be someone that I think Ferrari would want to hold onto. When things go well, he can live with anyone so why get rid of him?

Then we have a question over Alonso and his ability to work with an equal driver. Alonso is a superb driver and one of the top 3 at the moment in terms of racing but as part of a team, no too hot in my opinion.

Kimi and Alonso will not work if you ask me and Massa and Alonso looks fraught with problems.

SGWilko
11th July 2008, 12:56
Agreed.

Kimi is proven and is the current WDC. Felipe shows signs of maturing into a good title contender this year but I don't think he has the consistency and mental strengh to pull it off on 08. Still, he would be someone that I think Ferrari would want to hold onto. When things go well, he can live with anyone so why get rid of him?

Then we have a question over Alonso and his ability to work with an equal driver. Alonso is a superb driver and one of the top 3 at the moment in terms of racing but as part of a team, no too hot in my opinion.

Kimi and Alonso will not work if you ask me and Massa and Alonso looks fraught with problems.

Alonso would have been an ideal candidate for Ferrari in 1996 had Schumi not been around. He'd give it 110% and drag the team up, but would probably need a subordinate teammate IMO.

Knock-on
11th July 2008, 13:01
Alonso would have been an ideal candidate for Ferrari in 1996 had Schumi not been around. He'd give it 110% and drag the team up, but would probably need a subordinate teammate IMO.

I'd agree.

LeonBrooke
11th July 2008, 13:01
Agreed.

I think you'd end up with a situation sort of like Kimi and Juan Pablo in '05 - two great racers driving with absolutely no regard for each other and constantly making life hard for each other, to the overall detriment of both, despite several wins for each.

ShiftingGears
11th July 2008, 13:02
Agreed.

It's not about Kimi getting the boot, it's about the possibility of Kimi leaving F1 of his own will.

DezinerPaul
11th July 2008, 13:15
He's also not a real Tifosi.

I am indeed real Tifosi and have been for a very long time (long before Michael came along) F1 has changed and the days of romance are gone, I now expect Ferrari to make sound decisions, the days like floundering like fools are long gone. Only a fool would gamble on Alonso, after he failed at McLaren. It is clear, that Hobbit needs FB to run shotgun for him and without him, he falls apart!

LeonBrooke
11th July 2008, 13:25
I am indeed real Tifosi and have been for a very long time (long before Michael came along) F1 has changed and the days of romance are gone, I now expect Ferrari to make sound decisions, the days like floundering like fools are long gone. Only a fool would gamble on Alonso, after he failed at McLaren. It is clear, that Hobbit needs FB to run shotgun for him and without him, he falls apart!

Alonso failed at McLaren? As I recall he won four races and was second equal on points in the championship...

Knock-on
11th July 2008, 13:40
It's not about Kimi getting the boot, it's about the possibility of Kimi leaving F1 of his own will.

Fair point. I don't think Ferrari would ditch Kimi if they had a choice.

Lennat
11th July 2008, 14:56
I suppose there isnt't any truth to this at all really, but anyway, I just thought of something.

The title of this thread says "switch allegiance", not that he would actually drive for them in 2009. Could it just mean a deal to join the prancing horse as a driver in 2010, when Kimi's contract runs out?

DezinerPaul
11th July 2008, 15:03
Alonso failed at McLaren? As I recall he won four races and was second equal on points in the championship...

Yes and a loud mouth rookie got the better of him!

LeonBrooke
13th July 2008, 03:20
Yes and a loud mouth rookie got the better of him!

I think that reflects favourably on the rookie, rather than badly on the double world champion...

DezinerPaul
13th July 2008, 04:18
Agreed.

The fact that Alonso, has not shown anything without a dominant car, puts a very large question mark against his ability. The great ones shine, even in weak cars!

Lalo
13th July 2008, 06:39
So this means that Felipinho has one of his feet out of Ferrari for next season then..

Alonso will be back in a proper winning car!

Tazio
13th July 2008, 13:33
The fact that Alonso, has not shown anything without a dominant car, puts a very large question mark against his ability. The great ones shine, even in weak cars!Paul that car is a POS. I stated along time ago that I think Fred would be a great asset to Ferrari, with or without Kimi. At the time I didn't have a very high regard for Lewis. I am now of the opinion that Lewis possesses tremendous craft. He is not a complete driver, and I think his decision making on and off the track still has some rough edges. If he rounds out his game he may be unstoppable. If Lewis has some luck only Kimi or Fred are capable of beating him. (perhaps a few others if they too get an even greater amount of luck Felipe, Nick, Vettel, Robert) Those who have followed my contributions to this forum know that I have been for this Ferrari Dream team from the first rumors of it. The only thing that has changed in my perspective is my belief in Lewis's potential once he matures. Hopefully when that time comes, or not too terribly long afterward he will succeed Fred at Ferrari!

DezinerPaul
13th July 2008, 15:00
I would hate to have Hobbit anywhere near a Ferrari

Tazio
13th July 2008, 15:42
I would hate to have Hobbit anywhere near a FerrariSo you disagree!
Unless you own a lot of stock in the company, or one of its major sponsers
I'd say your opinnion is worth aproximately as much as mine!

DezinerPaul
13th July 2008, 15:56
This maybe true, however I would like to think that the brains at Ferrari would not be as stupid as having Hobbit as a driver. He is damaged goods and carries a huge question mark over him. The smart money would keep Kimi and Massa together for the next few years, there would be nothing to gain and everything to lose, by making a change!

Dave B
13th July 2008, 16:50
Just a heads up, Paul, as you've already been banned once: using insulting nicknames (like "Hobbit") for drivers is frowned upon round here.

Tazio
13th July 2008, 17:14
He is damaged goods
Bias speculation!

there would be nothing to gain and everything to lose, by making a change! Bias opinion!

jens
13th July 2008, 19:16
Too much speculation and too little concrete evidence. I think it's quite possible to see Alonso at Ferrari in 2010, but I still doubt about 2009. At the same time who knows, situations may change very quickly in a very short time (a year ago at the same time nothing suggested Alonso would leave McLaren before the end of the contract).

But personally I would like to see Alonso at Ferrari. ;) Also I'd start supporting him then too! :p :

jas123f1
13th July 2008, 19:46
Ferrari has two good drivers and what I know there is no plans to change anything for this or next season and what happens then is something no one knows today..

But, I'm sure that Alonso would like it, but it's another story how it will be.. :)

markabilly
13th July 2008, 20:21
The biggest reason anyone would want to be at Ferrari, seems to be sliding away.

Unless things change quickly, last year Ferrari was making too many mistakes, (running out of gas while going out to qualify and other such stuff, like emails about tires and so on). This year, the same is happenning and more, so how long before Ferrari falls into being a mid-pack runner would appear to be getting shorter and shorter.

The loss of Brawn, MS and Todt seem to be taking their toll.

So FA going to Ferrari in a couple of years, might seem great to him a few year ago, might not be so great in a couple of years.

jso1985
14th July 2008, 00:51
The fact that Alonso, has not shown anything without a dominant car, puts a very large question mark against his ability. The great ones shine, even in weak cars!

then with that basic logic, Massa is a supercrap driver! with a championship-material car he failed to won the WDC!! OMG!!! ;)

You can hate Alonso all you want, but true is that all teams still regard him as one the best current drivers.

DezinerPaul
14th July 2008, 05:37
then with that basic logic, Massa is a supercrap driver! with a championship-material car he failed to won the WDC!! OMG!!! ;)

You can hate Alonso all you want, but true is that all teams still regard him as one the best current drivers.

That says it all, that he is one of the best current drivers. Well when you have the least talented driver crop in 25+ years and not one real star amongst them, it is not saying much, is it?

Knock-on
14th July 2008, 10:28
That says it all, that he is one of the best current drivers. Well when you have the least talented driver crop in 25+ years and not one real star amongst them, it is not saying much, is it?

Is there anything you actually like about F1?

If not, why do you get involved in watching it and "contributing" to this forum.

Why not go an immerse yourself in Schumi memorabilia and stop wasting your time here?

SGWilko
14th July 2008, 10:45

If not, why do you get involved in watching it and "contributing" to this forum.

Why not go an immerse yourself in Schumi memorabilia and stop wasting your time here?

Maybe he has nuffink better to do, innit! ;)

DezinerPaul
14th July 2008, 10:56

You must be a Hamilton/McLaren fan, you sure sound like one!

Knock-on
14th July 2008, 11:15
You must be a Hamilton/McLaren fan, you sure sound like one!

Wow!!!

How did you know that. I've tried so hard to hide it and make everyone believe a ride a prancing horse :p :

Seriously though Paul. You seem to have so little respect for the modern sport, post-schumacher, that I cannot see where you get any enjoyment.

But thankyou for the compliment of sounding like a McLaren / Hamilton fan.

I'm also a Button / Honda fan and would love to see Williams do well.

pino
14th July 2008, 11:18
Let's quit personal comments thank you !

gloomyDAY
16th July 2008, 03:54
What if Alonso switched to Honda?

Ross Brawn is at the helm, but I think Nick Fry needs to get sacked.
Aside from that, maybe a superstar is needed to make Honda competitive again.

I would love to see a combination of Rubens and Fernando.

Big Ben
16th July 2008, 10:37
I am no Ferrari fan but I think he deserves to be in a car that can win races and right now it seems to me this is pretty much his only option (at least it seams more likely than going back to McLaren)...

and Deziner I think people say he's one of the best because they are aware we don't have enough info to decide who's the best.... but since you are such a big fan of statistics you should go check them and come with the conclusion... who is the best driver right now?

DezinerPaul
16th July 2008, 11:43
I am no Ferrari fan but I think he deserves to be in a car that can win races and right now it seems to me this is pretty much his only option (at least it seams more likely than going back to McLaren)...

and Deziner I think people say he's one of the best because they are aware we don't have enough info to decide who's the best.... but since you are such a big fan of statistics you should go check them and come with the conclusion... who is the best driver right now?

Statistics will not help in the here and now, how can you compare a rookie in a great car and a long term driver who does not have the car. One needs a longer term, to have a solid foundation for statistics!

gravity
16th July 2008, 12:22
What car did Alonso win his 2 championships in? I don't remember it being the top team on the grid. Who was the opposition?

You are quick to say that FA won his championships in the strongest car.
Was it the fastest car when he joined the team? Fluke?

Anyone who can bring a car from a back/mid field runner straight into one of the top teams does have something going for him.
eg. Fangio... every car he went to ended up being the fastest. It wasn't the fastest 'till he got there.

I'm with 'gloomy' here; I hope FA moves to Honda. They have a huge budget, great foundation (development staff) etc. They just need a champ driver.

DezinerPaul
16th July 2008, 19:32
What car did Alonso win his 2 championships in? I don't remember it being the top team on the grid. Who was the opposition?

You are quick to say that FA won his championships in the strongest car.
Was it the fastest car when he joined the team? Fluke?

Anyone who can bring a car from a back/mid field runner straight into one of the top teams does have something going for him.
eg. Fangio... every car he went to ended up being the fastest. It wasn't the fastest 'till he got there.

I'm with 'gloomy' here; I hope FA moves to Honda. They have a huge budget, great foundation (development staff) etc. They just need a champ driver.

It would take a person who is not all there, to not figure out, that the was a "Special" relationship between Renault and Michelin, that gave them an huge advantage.

Big Ben
16th July 2008, 21:23
Statistics will not help in the here and now, how can you compare a rookie in a great car and a long term driver who does not have the car. One needs a longer term, to have a solid foundation for statistics!

Nothing new here... statistics are good only when they prove what you think... otherwise they are irrelevant

anyway I am wasting my time... obviously you don´t have a clue what are you talking about...

jens
16th July 2008, 22:09
DezinerPaul, which current drivers do you actually rate? You have downplayed Hamilton, Alonso and some other guys. Who would you praise?

Tallgeese
18th July 2008, 17:49
Talk of Alonso's future has been on for some time. I think it would be fair to say that he is likely to end up with Ferrari at some point in his career but the question is when? Räikkönen is set to retire before too long, & 2009 could be his last showing (some say if he wins 2008 he'll probably leave) so Alonso is naturally seen as the most likely candidate to fill his shoes, & there's no guarantee that Massa will stay.

jso1985
19th July 2008, 03:49
It would take a person who is not all there, to not figure out, that the was a "Special" relationship between Renault and Michelin, that gave them an huge advantage.

as "special" as the relationship between Bridgestone and Ferrari was...

Tazio
19th July 2008, 16:11
After watching todays Quali, I am convinced that Fred could smoke Kimi, and Masa in that Ferrari. Period!

Knock-on
19th July 2008, 22:03
After watching todays Quali, I am convinced that Fred could smoke Kimi, and Masa in that Ferrari. Period!

It's difficult to argue against that claim.

Kimi's strength seems to be his reliability where he seems to lack that last 1/10th and Massa has speed but is always on the verge of outdriving his ability.

Fred has the speed and reliability.

It's such a huge pity that Fred felt so vulnerable at McLaren and couldn't let his amazing racecraft do the talking. What a team we could have had!!

Tazio
19th July 2008, 22:14

Kimi's strength seems to be his reliability where he seems to lack that last 1/10th and Massa has speed but is always on the verge of outdriving his ability.

It's such a huge pity that Fred felt so vulnerable at McLaren and couldn't let his amazing racecraft do the talking. What a team we could have had!!Amen brother! :p :

Lennat
20th July 2008, 11:56

+1

Interesting really how Kimis reputation has changed over the last few years, wasn't he supposed to be the super quick one with lacking reliability? :)

jens
20th July 2008, 17:55
+1

Interesting really how Kimis reputation has changed over the last few years, wasn't he supposed to be the super quick one with lacking reliability? :)

True that. I remember a few years ago opinions like Räikkönen would beat M. Schumacher in the same machinery, were quite common. By now such thoughts have more or less disappeared.

Lennat
20th July 2008, 23:53
It feels more and more like Ferrari do need at strong leader like Fernando, in my opinion...

I pretty much can't imagine him not leading the WDC if he was driving this years Ferrari, or what do you guys think?

Oli_M
21st July 2008, 01:00
I honestly saw regular flashes of brilliance in Kimi when he was driving for McLaren a few years back.... but recently I havn't seen very much of that "specialness"...... don't get me wrong he's still one of the best and even this year he has had some weekends where he's had the magic, but it just doesn't seem to be there so much and on quite the same level as 3-4 years back.

Knock-on
21st July 2008, 11:12
+1

I've never changed my opinion on Kimi :D

He's a good driver when he jumps into a seat but does seem to be weak in setting up and developing a car.

Although he was sensational in Kart, he had very little real open wheel experience prior to F1 and I have often been criticised for pointing this out :D

At McLaren, he had everything done for him but Ferrari tends to develop around a driver such as Schumacher. If he doesn't start working closer with the team, he will quickly find the car becoming suited to Massa who's style is different.