PDA

View Full Version : Switch of site host

AndySpeed
8th July 2008, 19:50
I'm really wanting to change website host for my website www.btccaction.co.uk (http://www.btccaction.co.uk) immediately. If you view the site now you'll probably see it has "Error establishing a database connection" or "Internal Server Error" and the problem has persisted, on/off for sometime. I've had enough, it affects visitor retention for a new site pretty badly in my opinion.

The current host is Streamline.net
I was contemplating moving to 1&1 internet.

All I'm looking for is more reliable hosting, and I don't want to tie myself to a 12month contract to find out its not much better.

Can anyone either recommend I go ahead with this or jump in front of me and warn me not to jump out of the frying pan into the fire...

If only I could afford to 'rent' my own server...

Mark
9th July 2008, 11:09
1&1 are okay. I did have a run in with them because of an admin error on thier part they would not fix until I threatened to cancel. They are running Karens website without problems but to get any features such as php you have to pay more. There are lots of hosts out there who will let you pay monthly.

airshifter
9th July 2008, 16:19
Just a thought to consider when you choose the new host. Find out when they do maintenance, updates, or anything that might result in service interuptions. We had a host in California that did defrags, updates, and whatever early in the morning, which conflicted with customers using the site on the east coast of the US.

It's much better to have any slow or down time during the hours when fewer people will be hitting your site.

AndySpeed
9th July 2008, 16:55
I'm looking to go with a UK company actually, to support UK hosting companies. So I would imagine, being in one timezone and with a site pitched at the one country, that maintenance would be done off-peak anyway.