PDA

View Full Version : PT in 3 race deal with Vision/Walker racing?

NickFalzone
8th July 2008, 18:47
To include Mid-Ohio, Edmonton, and Sonoma. I also saw this rumor repeated on Curt Cavin's blog.

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=11932

speeddurango
9th July 2008, 05:33
I've read it elsewhere too and so far it seems at least we'll see PT in Edmonton, I do hope he'll be in the car for more races though.

Chamoo
9th July 2008, 05:45
I've read it elsewhere too and so far it seems at least we'll see PT in Edmonton, I do hope he'll be in the car for more races though.

Maybe the sponsor will catch on and sign on for next year as well.

AussieV8
9th July 2008, 05:46
Sort of gone full circle after the Indy 500 debarcle a few years ago. Now TG's team is partly behind PT's ride! lol

dataman1
9th July 2008, 13:13
Maybe not! See link.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=641004

beachbum
9th July 2008, 13:30
I think is is safe to say that PT is a mercurial character. Only time will tell what he will do next.

DrDomm
9th July 2008, 14:08
I love Tracy's attitude, but he's not getting any younger. He needs to take advantage of any opportunity that arises.

Also, I think it's great to keep Walker involved in the series. I hope he comes into the series fulltime next year.

dataman1
9th July 2008, 14:13
I love Tracy's attitude, but he's not getting any younger. He needs to take advantage of any opportunity that arises.

Also, I think it's great to keep Walker involved in the series. I hope he comes into the series fulltime next year.

I agree with both points Doc.

Tracy's worth (his words) is fading every race as he gets more and more distant from the public eye.

Chris R
9th July 2008, 14:26
I hope he takes the deal - it may not be the best - but if he doesn't then he has lost his opportunity to blame other folks for him not being in the series......

dataman1
10th July 2008, 16:37
Another interview that is negative from PT's adviser and PT says he knows nothing yet with TG still working on it. But gives hints to sponsor.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsports/2008/07/09/6107901-sun.html

ykiki
10th July 2008, 18:05
Another interview that is negative from PT's adviser and PT says he knows nothing yet with TG still working on it. But gives hints to sponsor.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsports/2008/07/09/6107901-sun.html

According to the article - a Canadian fast-food sponsor? Hmmm....how 'bout Tim Horton's? However, my favorite line of the article is the last one. In comparison to fellow Canadian Marty Roth, "...Paul Tracy should be able to beat him driving the pace car."

MDS
10th July 2008, 18:15
I think if PT doesn't make it to Edmonton it was the right call. Getting into a slow car and turning in a mid-pack performance doesn't gain him anything, but it would be a boost for the IRL and the race. Also, a Vison car? Those guys have no speed on road courses, and if it's a Vison car its probably been wrecked a couple of times, so why would anyone think PT could be competitive in a wrecked backup?

So, if he's going to put in a mid-pack performance with a one-off team, he should get paid. Its sounds like he's being reasonable with the salary request and Tony George could afford his fee and not blink so I don't understand what the issue is.

icehammer97
10th July 2008, 18:49
I think if PT doesn't make it to Edmonton it was the right call. Getting into a slow car and turning in a mid-pack performance doesn't gain him anything, but it would be a boost for the IRL and the race. Also, a Vison car? Those guys have no speed on road courses, and if it's a Vison car its probably been wrecked a couple of times, so why would anyone think PT could be competitive in a wrecked backup?

So, if he's going to put in a mid-pack performance with a one-off team, he should get paid. Its sounds like he's being reasonable with the salary request and Tony George could afford his fee and not blink so I don't understand what the issue is.

Don't forget that Vision ran a third car at Indy for Davey Hamilton and he finished 14th so I think that car should be ok. As for the Vision guys not having speed on road courses I think that is more a product of the drivers and not the cars. Both the 4th and Ed are oval drivers who just recently started running road courses. They are not like TK, Helio and most of the field who ran road courses in the CART days or Rice who came up running them in Atlantics.

maxmach
11th July 2008, 10:27
I, personally, would love to see PT race anything. He's my guy. And though it might not be the best of deal's for PT, it would help the race and series tremendously. Crashing in Long Beach this year didn't hurt him, I think everyone knows that he has not been racing so the expectations are lower. But it is entertaining to have him around, esp. in Canada. Tony pays his salary, PT races, everybody wins.

BobGarage
11th July 2008, 10:42
Theres talk on another forum that Viso could be out for up to 2 months with mumps. If that is the case, what are the chances of PT taking over his ride at HVM? WOuld certainly save TG/Walker trying to get sponsor money together.

beachbum
11th July 2008, 12:42
Theres talk on another forum that Viso could be out for up to 2 months with mumps. If that is the case, what are the chances of PT taking over his ride at HVM? WOuld certainly save TG/Walker trying to get sponsor money together.Probably zero. PT seems to be more interested in talking about racing that actually driving.

garyshell
11th July 2008, 15:02
Probably zero. PT seems to be more interested in talking about racing that actually driving.

Oh please, just because he wants to talk about getting PAID to drive means he doesn't want to drive? :eek:

Gary

bblocker68
11th July 2008, 16:32
From SpeedTV:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-walker-george-ready-to-run-tracy-at-edmonton/

beachbum
11th July 2008, 17:02
Oh please, just because he wants to talk about getting PAID to drive means he doesn't want to drive? :eek:

GaryBased on his reported asking price, his "demands" are a bit out of line. If he really wanted to drive, he would be more reasonable. There are a number of drivers who have driven effectively for free for a share of the purse. Those people want to race. But if he wants to get paid his price, that's fine. But neither he or his fans should grumble if no one is willing to pay.

By the way, I like PT. At one time he was the king of Nazareth and he has always been entertaining. He is a "racer" on the track, not just a "driver". But just like Villenueve, he is getting beyond his prime and has to be realistic about his current value.

MDS
11th July 2008, 18:19
Don't forget that Vision ran a third car at Indy for Davey Hamilton and he finished 14th so I think that car should be ok.

Yeah, but Hamilton's speed came at the expense of AJ. He missed a qualifying attempt and the a mechanical error on the car could have killed him. Really, if you were PT would you be anxious to get into a car where the team forgot to properly secure the fuel buckeye?

Based on his reported asking price, his "demands" are a bit out of line. If he really wanted to drive, he would be more reasonable. There are a number of drivers who have driven effectively for free for a share of the purse. Those people want to race. But if he wants to get paid his price, that's fine. But neither he or his fans should grumble if no one is willing to pay.

PT wants to be full time for another couple of years, and showing up in an unprepared car with little chance of being competitive isn't going to do much to show that he can still drive. If no one in the ICS is willing to give him an opportunity in competitive equipment it looks like a CTS team will.

If he races as part of a PR opportunity he should get paid for his star power, which is what Edmonton and the IRL want.

Lemmy-Boy
11th July 2008, 19:56
Yes, he still has drawing power but PT as a "Rent-a-driver" doesn't sound right.

Unless TG offers him a truckload of cash, I would stay far away as possible from becoming a moving pylon, especially in the twilight of a racing career.

tbyars
11th July 2008, 21:45
PT wants to be full time for another couple of years, and showing up in an unprepared car with little chance of being competitive isn't going to do much to show that he can still drive. If no one in the ICS is willing to give him an opportunity in competitive equipment it looks like a CTS team will.

That is, of course, compared to not showing up at all. Tell me, just exactly how many points does that score for him down the road as he looks for that open wheel spot?

If PT were 24 years old, that would be one thing. But he's not. If he's not careful, he'll find himself going out to the mailbox one day to mail his latest offer rejection, and discover the mailman just delivered his AARP application.

MDS
11th July 2008, 23:23
That is, of course, compared to not showing up at all. Tell me, just exactly how many points does that score for him down the road as he looks for that open wheel spot?

It probably earns him more than if he shows up and does badly. Its no secret many of the "I am Indy" crowd would like to see him fail. Since the stock of his road course skill is already so high the bar set for his appearance at Edmonton would be set pretty high. I think anything other than a podium finish would do more harm than good.

Someone already mentioned this, but I think the best case scenario would be for him to to get into the HVM car, if in fact, Viso is sidelined for the next two months with the mumps. I would take a fill-in spot at HVM over a thrid vision car of dubious value and a rookie, last-minute crew.

tbyars
12th July 2008, 04:38
Someone already mentioned this, but I think the best case scenario would be for him to to get into the HVM car, if in fact, Viso is sidelined for the next two months with the mumps. I would take a fill-in spot at HVM over a thrid vision car of dubious value and a rookie, last-minute crew.

Care to look at average finishing position for Vision this year vs. HVM? Shows that your "best case scenario" doesn't hold much water.

Overall, Carpenter's average finishing position is 12.9, EXACTLY the same as E.J.'s. Foyt's is a little worse at 14.2.

On ovals only, of course, Ed finishes a good bit higher, and on road courses, Viso does much better. Exactly what you would expect since Carpenter is an oval racer and Viso a road racer.

Ultimately, however, it doesn't appear to me that Paul would have any kind of advantage whatsoever in an HVM car over what he would get in a Vision car. I think the bias is simply that Vision represents Tony George, and lots of ex CART/CCWS fans simply can't stomach the thought of Tracy in a Tony George-owned car, even if it gets his a$$ out of the recliner and into a car for a change. They'd rather see him fade into oblivion than begin a career resurgence as a result of TG.

I'll say this again. At his age, every single race Tracy stays out of the car makes him more stale and less marketable. He can ignore that fact at his own risk.

SarahFan
12th July 2008, 06:04
I think the bias is simply that Vision represents Tony George, and lots of ex CART/CCWS fans simply can't stomach the thought of Tracy in a Tony George-owned cark.

actually this Cart.CCws fan can think of nothing more appropriate......iIMO it would be wonderful

MDS
12th July 2008, 19:58
Ultimately, however, it doesn't appear to me that Paul would have any kind of advantage whatsoever in an HVM car over what he would get in a Vision car.

At least in an HVM car he knows the fuel buckeye will be properly secured.

tbyars
12th July 2008, 22:23
At least in an HVM car he knows the fuel buckeye will be properly secured.

Are you telling me that you believe HVM is absolutely incapable of making an error when it comes to car prep? Ridiculous.

I stand by my previous statement in regard to your bias.

tbyars
12th July 2008, 22:29
actually this Cart.CCws fan can think of nothing more appropriate......iIMO it would be wonderful

Of course, I agree with you, Ken. Getting PT back in a car, regardless of with whom, is a good thing for open wheel racing AND Paul.

How was your trip?

tbyars
12th July 2008, 22:41
Yes, he still has drawing power but PT as a "Rent-a-driver" doesn't sound right.

Unless TG offers him a truckload of cash, I would stay far away as possible from becoming a moving pylon, especially in the twilight of a racing career.

You know, here is the attitude I just don't get. If PT is destined to be a "moving pylon" in a Vision car as so many of you think, "especially in the twilight of a racing career" (your words), why does the amount of money he is going to make mitigate the "rent a driver" label in any way?

You really think PT is money hungry enough to accept being a "moving pylon" rather than a racer if he can make enough money doing it? I'd say you don't have the slightest clue about what motivates Paul Tracy if that is the case.

Once again, this is NOTHING more than a group of CART/CCWS fanboys rejecting what would be a good opportunity for Tracy unless, for some reason, they can be made to feel like they are getting a pound of Tony's flesh out of the deal.

Now, should Tracy be appropriately paid for the run? You bet! After all, this IS a PROFESSIONAL racing series. Need I remind any of you which series pretty much ruined the entire concept of these guys being paid for their efforts.

MDS
12th July 2008, 22:53
Are you telling me that you believe HVM is absolutely incapable of making an error when it comes to car prep? Ridiculous.

I stand by my previous statement in regard to your bias.

Does HVM make mistakes? Yes.

In the eight years since Keith Wiggins has been involved has HVM ever sent a car on to the track that was a ticking napalm bomb waiting to explode into flames? No.

This is where your bias comes in. You cannot possibly aruge that PT would be better off in a rebuilt car, rookie crew one-off than potentally two months worth of filling in for E.J. Viso, who has a fast car and a dedicated crew.

SarahFan
13th July 2008, 00:52
Need I remind any of you which series pretty much ruined the entire concept of these guys being paid for their efforts.

seriosly T......where do you come up with this stuff

one of the most important steps of recovery....and make no mistake AOW is in a state of recovery.....is brutal honesty

I suggest you embrace it