PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone one of the perfect tracks

FIA
7th July 2008, 18:03
Anyone agree that Silverstone as a racing circuit is one of those perfect circuits, no bad corners or parts of the circuit, like Spa-Francorchamps, Suzuka and Sepang.

Anyone disagree?

Mark
7th July 2008, 18:32
Yes me. The complex sucks.

FIA
7th July 2008, 19:07
I sort of see you point, accept you've got to love Luffield, it catches the drivers out before Woodcote.

MrJan
7th July 2008, 20:08
Loads of people disagree :) I'd certainly rate Suzuka and Spa (it's the older Spa that I know, although not that old) above Silverstone because of the changes in gradient.

Still think that the track deserves a place on the calendar as much as a track like Canada which is falling apart.

wedge
7th July 2008, 21:44
The main problem is that its too flat and featureless. Call me old school but I would rather sit/stand on a grassy bank than sit in a grandstand.

Oval racing is different IMHO, but a normal road course littered with grandstands doesn't seem right.

Yes me. The complex sucks.

Well I guess a benefit of a flat mickey mouse section you get power oversteer! Especially coming out of Luffield.

Storm
8th July 2008, 06:24
I agree..
I always liked Silverstone along with Spa, Suzuka, Montreal & Interlagos.
Only Istanbul or Sepang come close to being really good of the newer tracks.

cosmicpanda
8th July 2008, 07:16
The first sector at Silverstone is nice - I think they were saying on TV that they didn't brake in the dry until Vale. Sounds crazy, which is always good. :D

I don't like Vale, though. I think Club should be approached at speed like it was ages ago, and then it'd also be more fun on the driving games (which is as close as I'll ever get to Silverstone). I do like Abbey, Bridge and Priory. I don't like the two hairpins coming after, but I can see why they're there. Perhaps when they redo the pits they will redo the complex?

MrJan
8th July 2008, 09:15
I agree..
I always liked Silverstone along with Spa, Suzuka, Montreal & Interlagos.
Only Istanbul or Sepang come close to being really good of the newer tracks.

Agreed that Istanbul is good. Lot's of different types of corner and looks like a real driving challenge :up:

ShiftingGears
8th July 2008, 10:27
It's damn good, however I'd like to see...
1. Abbey chicane removed
2. Vale removed
3. Banking added at Luffield, I am sure there won't be increased risk to the spectators if they did that.

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 11:07
Silverstone is good on Telly and a good drive but I hate spectating there.

Donny on the other hand :D

fabricator/61
9th July 2008, 21:31
The problem with Silverstone now is a total disregard for the real motorsport enthusiast, every year a little bit more banking that you could stand on is eaten up by corporate bloody hospitality. When I first started going to the GP you could arrive at about 11am and wander round and find a slot to watch from, now you have to be there by 3am in the morning to jion the queue at the gates in order then to sprint to get a decent veiwing spot. Bring on Donington, Silverstone you deserve your fate by ignoring the true fan.

Dave B
10th July 2008, 09:12
It may be heresy to even suggest this, but if a venue only has a finite number of seats then shouldn't they try to maximise their profit by selling them at the highest possible price?

If Silverstone has a capacity of 90,000 and sells out then halving the prices won't get twice as many people through the gates. From the venue's point of view it's better to have corporate guests who will pay premium prices (or at least their employers will!).

Please realise that I'm playing devil's advocate here - I've had the full VIP treatment a few times but equally I've made plenty of 2am hikes from the campsite to secure a spot on a muddy bank. I count myself as a "true fan", but would be saddenned if a circuit failed financially because it ignored its paymasters.

SGWilko
10th July 2008, 09:35
It may be heresy to even suggest this, but if a venue only has a finite number of seats then shouldn't they try to maximise their profit by selling them at the highest possible price?

If Silverstone has a capacity of 90,000 and sells out then halving the prices won't get twice as many people through the gates. From the venue's point of view it's better to have corporate guests who will pay premium prices (or at least their employers will!).

Please realise that I'm playing devil's advocate here - I've had the full VIP treatment a few times but equally I've made plenty of 2am hikes from the campsite to secure a spot on a muddy bank. I count myself as a "true fan", but would be saddenned if a circuit failed financially because it ignored its paymasters.

Indeed. If Bernard didn't need to screw track owners over for CVC, tracks would not need to charge the punters so much.

The only income the tracks make, AIUI, is from ticket sales.

F1 is only a sport for two hours every other Sunday.....

aryan
10th July 2008, 12:28
F1 is only a sport for two hours every other Sunday.....

You know how quotes from some politicians or certain historical figures become more famous than themselves... this might hold true for DC in regard to this quote.

Sleeper
10th July 2008, 19:24
You know how quotes from some politicians or certain historical figures become more famous than themselves... this might hold true for DC in regard to this quote.
I think Frank Williams was the first to coin that actually.

There seems to be a lot of tracks these days that are quite flat (Spa, Fuji and Interlagos are the only ones I can think of with any real gradient change), and of these Silverstone is undoubtedly one of the best.

Jimmy Magnusson
10th July 2008, 19:49
The main problem with F1 racing at Silverstone is that it's F1. It was rain that made the race good; otherwise there is a high chance of the race being a snoozer like every other F1 race on the calender.

elinagr
10th July 2008, 19:54
pathetic! cry to mr max, please please we want silverstone mr max lollllllllllllllllllllll

i hope they throw uk out of the calendar as soon as possible

Mysterious Rock
10th July 2008, 23:11
pathetic! cry to mr max, please please we want silverstone mr max lollllllllllllllllllllll

Whats your boggle then?

ShiftingGears
11th July 2008, 12:04

motorola, dimitraf1, whatever your account name is, please expand on that well constructed opinion.

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 22:18
GB is the home of motorsport and every F1 driver has been there in their early years. We go to Silverstone every year, it gets better very year. The only reason to get rid of it is political and has nothing to do with its standards or racing. I've been a full on F1 fan for 22 years but will seriously consider boycotting F1 when they get rid of it. How can you compare different generations of F1 drivers when the real F1 tracks go. A whole season on hermann tilke tracks will make me go and watch the boy racers at the local traffic lights as it would be more interesting.