PDA

View Full Version : Kazuki Nakajima

Ranger
7th July 2008, 13:41
This guy seems a bit underrated compared with Rosberg, who gets quite a lot of media appraisal.

And yet, after nine races in the championship, both drivers have 8 points.

He seems to be able to come up with the goods when Rosberg this year seems to be crashing a fair bit more than he should.

Nonetheless, kudos to Kaz! :up:

wedge
7th July 2008, 13:57
Doesn't seem particularly quick in qualy, stereotypical lairy/banzai Japanese driver - involved in spins and incidents - but in the end manages to deliver the points end.

That's quite an amazing feat.

I think he's scored more points than Massa in his debut year for Sauber.

ioan
7th July 2008, 14:13
Doesn't seem particularly quick in qualy, stereotypical lairy/banzai Japanese driver - involved in spins and incidents - but in the end manages to deliver the points end.

That's quite an amazing feat.

I think he's scored more points than Massa in his debut year for Sauber.

He's doing good, in fact better than expected by the Rosberg fans.

PS: In Massa's debut year for Sauber, points were only given to the top 6 finishers! :)

jens
7th July 2008, 14:17
I don't think Kazuki is quite a typical Japanese 'banzai'. Sure he has had his "moments" (which are logical for a rookie), but he seems more consistent than let's say his compatriot Sato. I think he has been doing quite well considering the expectations. His weakness has been qualifying, but at least he has already beaten Rosberg twice there, something Wurz never managed on merit. And recently IMO he has improved in that area too and in the second half of the season Nico will face even stronger rivalry from Kazu. I'm looking forward to see KN on the grid also in 2009. :up:

N. Jones
7th July 2008, 15:11
This guy seems a bit underrated compared with Rosberg, who gets quite a lot of media appraisal.

And yet, after nine races in the championship, both drivers have 8 points.

He seems to be able to come up with the goods when Rosberg this year seems to be crashing a fair bit more than he should.

Nonetheless, kudos to Kaz! :up:

I can remember commentators and website talking him up as "just like his father - can't finish a race without hitting something with his car." Kaz might be slow in qualy and not the smoothest driver come race day; but with no pressure he is learning and putting in good drives.

As they say in Oz, good on ya, mate!

seppefan
7th July 2008, 15:39
I rubbished Williams for taking him when they did and now have to eat my words. He is doing a brilliant job against expectations. His Father was a quality wet weather driver.

christophulus
7th July 2008, 16:13
I rubbished Williams for taking him when they did and now have to eat my words. He is doing a brilliant job against expectations.

I agree, it was quite worrying at the start of the year when it turned out that Toyota had some influence over his appointment, I wasn't expecting him to be up to much. But Rosberg hasn't performed this year and Nakajima has shown a fair bit of promise, hope it continues!

inimitablestoo
7th July 2008, 16:14
He was, frankly, a liability in GP2, and so his F1 performances have surprised me too. If anything, his lack of qualifying pace but solid race performances (the only major mistake that springs to mind is running into Kubica in Australia - well, and running into his pit crew on his debut last year) seems the reverse of the stereotypical Japanese driver. And I wouldn't be too worried about his qualifying just yet - he can work on that more easily than finding race pace. Besides, they only pay points on a Sunday...

gravity
7th July 2008, 17:07
Kazuki has impressed with his performance so far this year, none more so than his drive at Silverstone. Anyone know how many times he spun or went off track? if at all?

aryan
8th July 2008, 02:39
I rubbished Williams for taking him when they did and now have to eat my words.

So did I. I called him a pay driver, and was absolutely disgusted with Frank for signing him.

Not only has he far exceeded my expectation, I think considering his status as a rookie, he is shining new lights on the over-rated Rosberg.

Hawkmoon
8th July 2008, 02:54
I thought that despite his obvious links with Toyota engines that Williams weren't taking as big a risk as it appeared on the surface. His debut in Brazil was very good. He set, from memory, the 5th fastest race lap and his lap times were very consistent. Everybody remebers him running over his crew but I think that one mistake overshadowed what was a very good start to his career.

I don't think he'll ever be a serious contender but he's most definently not out of place in F1, unlike some of his compatriots (Yuiji Ide springs to mind).

inimitablestoo
8th July 2008, 16:19
Kazuki has impressed with his performance so far this year, none more so than his drive at Silverstone. Anyone know how many times he spun or went off track? if at all?

Once that I can remember, a quick trip across the grass at Abbey I think.

Azumanga Davo
9th July 2008, 09:18
Not the quickest guy out there, but he certainly is no rookie in terms of keeping the car in check and a steady hand throughout a race. Taku should dig out a notepad and take some quick notes on how he should go about his next drive (if that ever comes).

ioan
9th July 2008, 09:27
Not the quickest guy out there, but he certainly is no rookie in terms of keeping the car in check and a steady hand throughout a race. Taku should dig out a notepad and take some quick notes on how he should go about his next drive (if that ever comes).

Sato got similar points finishes driving a Super Aguri, and overtaking a 2 times WDC who was driving the best car on the grid. ;)

Azumanga Davo
9th July 2008, 09:33
Sato got similar points finishes driving a Super Aguri, and overtaking a 2 times WDC who was driving the best car on the grid. ;)

Fair point. But on reflection, how much do you think Takuma pushed that car to do such incredible feats? I'll bet there were some hairy moments involved as well. ;)

wedge
9th July 2008, 14:05
Fair point. But on reflection, how much do you think Takuma pushed that car to do such incredible feats? I'll bet there were some hairy moments involved as well. ;)

He's known for his lightning starts and then holding up a train of cars.

Peter Windsor put him in his top 5 drivers of 2007, for his consistency and composure.

truefan72
9th July 2008, 18:38

I recall Sato scoring a bunch of points in the Honda, a few years back, I think he finished the season 7th in points or so. Sato is a much better driver than many give him credit for. And is performances at Super Aguri, highlighted that fact.

aryan
10th July 2008, 03:00
Fair point. But on reflection, how much do you think Takuma pushed that car to do such incredible feats? I

Are we all forgetting that Alonso at the time was on intermediate tyres on a rapidly drying circuit and Taku on the right tyre?

Don't get me wrong, I love watching that youtube clip as much as the next guy, but we should put what Taku did into context here.

Satu was IMO exactly the opposite of Nakajima, he was fast but unsteady and unreliable. He wasn't able to tame his pace in keeping the car on the track. We'll see is Nakajima is able to do the opposite and add some pace to his rock solid reliability.

aryan
10th July 2008, 03:06
I recall Sato scoring a bunch of points in the Honda, a few years back, I think he finished the season 7th in points or so.

In the second best car on the grid.

ShiftingGears
10th July 2008, 03:50
I recall Sato scoring a bunch of points in the Honda, a few years back, I think he finished the season 7th in points or so.

When Button finished 3rd in the points, beating him by 51 points.

truefan72
10th July 2008, 07:17
When Button finished 3rd in the points, beating him by 51 points.

you drive against your teammate as well as the 18 other cars out there.

Good for Button, he was excellent that season and deservedly better than his teammate. but that does not negate what Sato did. I don't think all of Schumachers', Alonso's or hakkinens teammates were useless drivers because they got trounced by those guys respectively.

Intramural battles are good fodder for the forums but are hardly a measuring stick of one's worth.

...speaking off, Rosberg and Nakajima have the same amount of points but that doesn't mean that after half the season, the both of them are about equal in quality.

ShiftingGears
10th July 2008, 07:36
you drive against your teammate as well as the 18 other cars out there.

Good for Button, he was excellent that season and deservedly better than his teammate. but that does not negate what Sato did.

Sato finished 8th in the points standings in the second best car. I think that gives you a pretty good description of how good Sato is.

Jimmy Magnusson
10th July 2008, 19:40
Are we all forgetting that Alonso at the time was on intermediate tyres on a rapidly drying circuit and Taku on the right tyre?

Don't get me wrong, I love watching that youtube clip as much as the next guy, but we should put what Taku did into context here.

Both cars were on dry tyres, and the track was dry.

ioan
11th July 2008, 10:06
Both cars were on dry tyres, and the track was dry.

Exactly!

AJP
11th July 2008, 10:48
Such a solid move from Taku-san...
I do miss him..and Super Aguri for that matter...
That move on Alonso is a nice way to remember them for sure..

jens
11th July 2008, 18:50
In 2004 Sato had clearly more engine failures than Button, so I don't think the difference between their performance was as big as the points gap suggests.

But when we compare the two Japanese drivers, then indeed while Kazu seems more consistent, then he hasn't shown such spectacular raw pace Taku managed at times.

Lemmy-Boy
11th July 2008, 19:26
For a rookie, Nakajima is doing a very good job. He's seems a lot more level headed with the car, especially compared to Sato.

Since Williams F1 is in rebuilding mode right now, Nakajima can grow with the team and gain further experience. He's definitely got a brighter future than Sato at the moment.

jso1985
11th July 2008, 20:13
For a rookie, Nakajima is doing a very good job. He's seems a lot more level headed with the car, especially compared to Sato.

Since Williams F1 is in rebuilding mode right now, Nakajima can grow with the team and gain further experience. He's definitely got a brighter future than Sato at the moment.

But he certainly has the same bright future as Sato had in 2004!
Don't get me wrong, certainly Nakajima ain't a useless driver(like Sato) but he hasn't yet showed something to make me think he's a talented one.

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 21:35
Hi guys, I've been pretty impressed by Kazuki, he's been brilliant this year, even in difficult races. Pretty good to do so well against Nico as well as I think its pretty clear that Nico has top 10 talent out of the current drivers!