PDA

View Full Version : Kimi "Out of Order" on Grid

Mysterious Rock
7th July 2008, 11:21
I found this on YouTube, I thought it was a bit harsh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJSq8uaV9g&NR=1

gravity
7th July 2008, 11:54
Looks like that photographer was invading his private bubble. Poor dude is trying to get ready for a race in tricky conditions and has some stranger standing over his personal gear, shoving a camera into his face.
I feel for the 'superstars' who have to put up with the press...

Juppe
7th July 2008, 12:18
The photgrapher got too close and I think he was using a flash. Nobody wants to have flash that close to one's face let alone when preparing for start - would be nice to see those traffic lights. ;)

Mysterious Rock
7th July 2008, 12:22
I agree as to why he may have done it homwever do you not feel that as a professional he should have handled it differently?

Henry Cutts
7th July 2008, 12:24
I don’t have a problem with what Kimi did. The photographer should have given him some space.

gravity
7th July 2008, 12:25
He is a quick thinker, 'ol KR. He prob had it worked out... calculated the options... then chose to make it look spontaneous. I reckon he could have opted for the more sensational "headbutt you with my helmet still on" routine.

TMorel
7th July 2008, 12:34
Dear Juan Pablo, we're very sorry for having criticised you for your indiscretions in the past. We now realise that it's perfectly allowable to behave like a thug.

Hugs 'n' pushes.

Daniel
7th July 2008, 12:57
Haven't seen the video but I know from my time taking photos at WRC events that there are times when you can take photos and get up close with drivers and there are times when you can't.

Dave B
7th July 2008, 13:15
Same with me at BTCC events: the drivers give a huge amount of time to the media but sometimes you have to accept that their at work and respect their space. I've been on the receiving end of a barrage of obscenities from a driver who'd just walked back into the pits following a crash, but who was right as rain over a cold beer later that afternoon. You soon learn when to leave well alone, and although Kimi should have handled the situation better it's hard to blame him for reacting the way he did.

Daniel
7th July 2008, 13:21
Same with me at BTCC events: the drivers give a huge amount of time to the media but sometimes you have to accept that their at work and respect their space. I've been on the receiving end of a barrage of obscenities from a driver who'd just walked back into the pits following a crash, but who was right as rain over a cold beer later that afternoon. You soon learn when to leave well alone, and although Kimi should have handled the situation better it's hard to blame him for reacting the way he did.

I think that's part of what makes a good motosport journalist. Brundle is good in this respect. As a driver you can see that he knows when to barge in and have a chat and when to leave a driver well alone.

Another thing which will get you in trouble is trying to take pictures of sensitive car bits. At Rally Australia in 2005 Ford were doing all the service work for their Focii in 4 sided tents. Yours truly had heard there was something interesting with the rear suspension on the Focus and stuf his camera underneath the car when it reversed out of the tent only to get pushed over by a Ford mechanic :p

Knock-on
7th July 2008, 13:30

Wouldn't be Matt or Jason would it :D

The video has been removed by Der Fuhrer so cannot see it.

However, I imagine it was someone sticking a camera where it shouldn't be and Kimi pushing it away. Too bloody right I say. When he's in the car, he's out of bounds, not out of order.

ioan
7th July 2008, 14:04
However, I imagine it was someone sticking a camera where it shouldn't be and Kimi pushing it away. Too bloody right I say. When he's in the car, he's out of bounds, not out of order.

Well if you can call a photograph landing on his back 1 meter away from where he was = "pushing" the camera away, then you are right! :D

TMorel
7th July 2008, 14:09
the cameraman simply spun in the wet conditions.

Kimi in no way attacled him, but was infact valiantly putting his hands up to try and grab the cameraman to stop him from flying off the track... what a hero

ioan
7th July 2008, 14:14
the cameraman simply spun in the wet conditions.

Kimi in no way attacled him, but was infact valiantly putting his hands up to try and grab the cameraman to stop him from flying off the track... what a hero

:rotflmao:
Good one! :up:

Daniel
7th July 2008, 14:15
:rotflmao:
Good one! :up:
Now for the thread saying "Should the photographer have been black flagged" :rolleyes: Now I've got nothing against the photographer in question......

HenryM
7th July 2008, 19:13
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9720/raikkonen1lgbv8.jpg

Giuseppe F1
7th July 2008, 20:00
Is somebody able to explain here EXACTLY what happened as I have no clue and Uncle Bernies has now renmoved that YouTube clip?

Was this incident picked up on the UK ITV tv feed does anyone know?

Thanks in advance guys

HenryM
7th July 2008, 20:37
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=9xJuJFy1OxA

GP-M3
7th July 2008, 21:20
Here's a slightly more interesting one, with some English commentary at the end:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=pY89QoWLL98

Zico
7th July 2008, 21:23
Simple, he stepped on Kimi's gear (driving gloves etc) as Kimi tried to protect/grab his kit the photographer banged his helmet with his zoom lense, flashed him right in the face as he took a step backwards and fell over the small fence. Comedy moment, nothing more.

TMorel
7th July 2008, 22:29
From the other footage which has now gone it looked like the photographer was standing the other side of Kimi's kit bag and there seemed a big gap between the lense and kimi's helmet.
From the clips that are left I can't see his gloves on the floor (would bit silly to leave them on a wet track anyway) and I can't see any fence to fall over.

Anyone got any stills of the gloves and fence?

ten-tenths
7th July 2008, 23:36
sick em kimi! sick em!

SGWilko
8th July 2008, 11:40
Here's a slightly more interesting one, with some English commentary at the end:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=pY89QoWLL98

Some other Schumacher vids on their - interesting one of Schumi exiting his pit and wiping out one of the Jags.

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 11:40
Well if you can call a photograph landing on his back 1 meter away from where he was = "pushing" the camera away, then you are right! :D

Well, I've managed to see the clip now and don't have a problem with it. The photographer should have watched his feet. He's there to record the event, not get in the way.

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 11:42
Now for the thread saying "Should the photographer have been black flagged" :rolleyes: Now I've got nothing against the photographer in question......

Daniel. One of your more intelligent posts :up:

I should imagine normal service will soon be resumed :)

AJP
8th July 2008, 12:19
You just don't need to get that close to any body if your holding a camera...full stop. The photographer standing on Kimi's gear was obviously an accident, and Kimi could have reacted differently, but I'm not against what he did at all..

ArrowsFA1
8th July 2008, 13:31
I hadn't realised the photographer was Paul-Henri Cahier. He's released a statement about the incident on his website:

Following the incident involving Kimi Raikkonen and Paul-Henri Cahier on the starting grid of the British Grand Prix in Silverstone, that saw the finnish driver assault the photographer, we decided that it was necessary to clarify a few points.
There never was any contact between the two men, nor did Paul-Henri ever touch Kimi's equipment. Furthermore, the distance at which Paul-Henri Cahier was taking a picture, although close, was completely standard. The photographers who take pictures at Grand Prix races are all professionnals who have been accredited by the FIA, and as the dozen other photographers who were standing next to Paul-Henri Cahier prove, there was nothing unusual or unethical about this situation.
Finally, Paul-Henri Cahier has been an F1 photographer for almost fourty years and has been close to the greatest champions, but none of them has ever behaved in such a rude manner. It is understandable that drivers might get irritable because of the pressure they undergo, but Kimi Raikkonen never even attempted to express his discontent in a non violent way. Paul-Henri Cahier luckily did not suffer any injury, and so does not intend to take any action, but he regrets the arrogance with which Kimi Raikkonen treated someone who was merely doing his job.
http://www.f1-photo.com/

SGWilko
8th July 2008, 13:44
I hadn't realised the photographer was Paul-Henri Cahier. He's released a statement about the incident on his website:

http://www.f1-photo.com/

I remember Muddly Talker assaulted Mansell once....... ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_Q5EZKTkc

MrJan
8th July 2008, 14:57
I think that's part of what makes a good motosport journalist. Brundle is good in this respect. As a driver you can see that he knows when to barge in and have a chat and when to leave a driver well alone.

:up: Pezza doing the MotoGP is the same, apparently asks before hand if the rider minds.

Photgrapher deserved it really, must be a pain when you are trying to get ready. The bloke was about 1 foot away which is actually really close.

ArrowsFA1
8th July 2008, 15:02
It is rather funny that the sympathy is with Kimi in this case, and yet with the Montoya/camera encounter we know where many thought the blame rested then, and heaven knows the bru-ha-ha there would have been had this been Lewis, and not Kimi.

It's a funny old world :p

Daniel
8th July 2008, 15:04
:up: Pezza doing the MotoGP is the same, apparently asks before hand if the rider minds.

Photgrapher deserved it really, must be a pain when you are trying to get ready. The bloke was about 1 foot away which is actually really close.
Yup. You can see from the photo that he was right up in his face. I've had some good closeup photos of drivers but always from the right angle :)

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 15:26

Tis indeen my old friend. Tis indeed ;)

I've found that the people accusing others of being Fanboys, haters etc tend to be the ones with no objectivity in these matters while real fans will call an issue on merit (well, most of the time anyway. Occassionally a bit of bias is bound to creep in) :laugh:

janneppi
8th July 2008, 16:02
If there really wasn't any prvocation (intentional or unintentional)It was a bit of a brain fart from Kimi. That said, I don't the cameraman should be that close anyway.

gloomyDAY
8th July 2008, 16:21
I got a chuckle out of that footage.

Inappropriate? Sure. Great for the sport? Indeed.

gloomyDAY
8th July 2008, 16:25
Now, here (http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=a-nm0e0LA5c) is footage worth arguing over.

Does getting knocked in the head constitute a butt kicking?

Knock-on
8th July 2008, 17:00
Now, here (http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=a-nm0e0LA5c) is footage worth arguing over.

PML.

"No Juan, NO!! Easy Tiger, sit, siiiittt. Stay :D "

Daniel
8th July 2008, 17:03

You would be pissed if someone broke your head! :p

Dave B
8th July 2008, 18:54
Wouldn't be Matt or Jason would it :D
May have been one of them, yes. ;) Maybe after a coming together with Anthony Reid. Maybe after I'd sprinted (yes, sprinted!) the whole length of the Silverstone pit lane to grab a word, and practically had to sprint all the way back just to keep up with him!

ioan
8th July 2008, 21:53
It is rather funny that the sympathy is with Kimi in this case, and yet with the Montoya/camera encounter we know where many thought the blame rested then, and heaven knows the bru-ha-ha there would have been had this been Lewis, and not Kimi.

I tend to agree with you, being rude or aggressive without trying another route first isn't a positive behavior.

Let's see if Kimi has something to say about the incident.

AJP
9th July 2008, 00:34
You just don't need to get that close to any body if your holding a camera...full stop. The photographer standing on Kimi's gear was obviously an accident, and Kimi could have reacted differently, but I'm not against what he did at all..

Ok...it is now said that he didn't step on Kimi's gear, then this is a bit of a brain fart (as janneppi said) by Kimi. I still think that the photographer, and other photographers we're too close...you just don't need to get that close, especially with the variety of lenses these guys carry..

ArrowsFA1
9th July 2008, 08:31
Ok...it is now said that he didn't step on Kimi's gear, then this is a bit of a brain fart (as janneppi said) by Kimi. I still think that the photographer, and other photographers we're too close...you just don't need to get that close, especially with the variety of lenses these guys carry..
According to the photographer - highly respected, been doing the job for 40yrs - he was doing nothing different to what he or any of the photographers normally do.

Kimi overreacted IMHO.

gravity
9th July 2008, 11:19
Did someone change their story? One of the other camera men (who was standing there) said that the photographer did stand on Kimi's gear.

Juppe
9th July 2008, 12:55
My opinion is (whatever its worth) that yes, Kimi overreacted, and I think he would think so too afterwards.

However, the "personal bubble" over here in Finland is very large compared to many other countries and that a reflex is to push people away, if they invade your private area. Kimi may not have noticed the photographer and all of a sudden he was inches away with his camera and Kimi pushed without thinking.

I still expect that Kimi should apologize for the photographer and I expect him to do so. It would be nice, if the cameraman, in turn, admitted that he was too damn close - especially for a Finn.

Cheers :)

TMorel
9th July 2008, 13:58
But then Kimi should have known that in England, due to the fact we are constantly standing in queues, we don't have a similar concept of personal bubble.

Although I still think it's 60-40 with Kimi slightly more to blame, I think both parties need to appologise.

Kimi should know not to upset the press though. What if Mr.Cahier decides to take it personally and starts selling photos to the News of the World of Kimi having an early night or leaving a nightclub on his own and sober... it could ruin Kimi's reputation!

Knock-on
9th July 2008, 14:35
May have been one of them, yes. ;) Maybe after a coming together with Anthony Reid. Maybe after I'd sprinted (yes, sprinted!) the whole length of the Silverstone pit lane to grab a word, and practically had to sprint all the way back just to keep up with him!

You :laugh: Sprinting :laugh:

:p :

Dave B
9th July 2008, 15:03
T'was a few years ago you cheeky beggar. Mind you, even back then I sprinted at a speed which only just beats continental drift. :(

Easy Drifter
9th July 2008, 15:43
Anyone actually been on the grid waiting for their race to start. I have and the only people I wanted to talk to or be near were my crew or other drivers and sometimes their crew. However, you had to put up with it, but if someone stepped on my gear and shot off a camera in my face without warning they probably would have had a real close up of a fist.
Imagine what A.J. Foyt would have done!!!

jas123f1
10th July 2008, 10:18
I still expect that Kimi should apologize for the photographer and I expect him to do so. It would be nice, if the cameraman, in turn, admitted that he was too damn close - especially for a Finn.
Cheers :)

If there had been a half meter more between Paul-Henri Cahier and Kimi it should be quite difficult if not impossible for Kimi to push him at all. But however it was unnecessary to do it and on other side Cahier was in imbalance and should in normal case not fall down that easy. A storm in a teacup, I should say.. :)

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 21:38
If Lewis had done what kimi did he would get at least a 1 race ban or grid penalty. Ive always thought of kimi as the absolute quickest over one lap but he's gone down in my estimation the same as alonso did last year. You dont push someone like that unless your an idiot.

Zico
11th July 2008, 21:51
If Lewis had done what kimi did he would get at least a 1 race ban or grid penalty. Ive always thought of kimi as the absolute quickest over one lap but he's gone down in my estimation the same as alonso did last year. You dont push someone like that unless your an idiot.

Drivers are not machines.. Ok, he raised his hands but unprofessional or not, they are human just like the rest of us... and all of us do things we often later regret. I know I have.. Haven't you?
If Cahier hadnt FALLEN over the issue wouldnt even have been thought about, as Jas says.. Storm in a nano sized teacup.

Drew
11th July 2008, 21:56
Looks like somebody from Formula One Management is a member / reader of the forums ;)

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 21:57
Fair enough but you'll never be a 'great' if you act like that. And no, we dont all do things like that. Kimi should have kept it inside and then he may have driven a decent race............

Zico
11th July 2008, 22:14
Fair enough but you'll never be a 'great' if you act like that. And no, we dont all do things like that. Kimi should have kept it inside and then he may have driven a decent race............

In that case I guess your a better man than me. I suppose it depends on what your opinion of a 'great' is... I consider Senna to be one of the 'greats' in terms of driving skill... and he was certainly a very volatile character.
Unlike Fellipe I dont think Kimi drove a particularly bad race, he made the best of his car/set-up and his teams boobo in very difficult conditions.

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 22:21
Yes Zico, I agree that the best ever drivers like senna can be volatile. Lewis will probably turn out the same eventually. Was just gutted to see someone I admire so much act like that.

Knock-on
14th July 2008, 10:36
Yes Zico, I agree that the best ever drivers like senna can be volatile. Lewis will probably turn out the same eventually. Was just gutted to see someone I admire so much act like that.

Come on Jimbo, cut him a bit of slack.

It probably looked a lot worse than it was. Kimi was getting ready and the photographer was in danger of stepping all over his equipment. It looked more a case of "Hey, watch it" rather than a deliberate push.

No bid drama :D

SGWilko
14th July 2008, 12:04
I think this is all a bit of a weather front in a drinking receptacle.