PDA

View Full Version : BMW's Mario Theissen confirms Audi/VW/Porsche are now eyeing F1 (again)

Giuseppe F1
6th July 2008, 18:04
I hoping to put 2 and 2 together and make 4 here, yet am sure will end up making 444 instead which is the case with the frequent number of 'Audi/VW to F1' stories doing the rounds.

Talking of KERS and new F1 technologies to be introdcued which will have direct bearing to current and future road-car technologies and developments, BMW's Mario Theissen has now come out as saying that he understands the VW/Audi/Porsche group and interested in how F1 is developing in the area.

So thats part 1....

Now looking at the story earlier this week where Berger has been dismissing the rumours of F3 team Ultimate as a potential Toro Rosso suitor and stating that he will only team up with a carmaker partner for the future, and considering he needs to have this future tied up pretty soon considering by when Mateschitz wishes to sell his shares by, plus Berger being touted as the man most likely to lead VW into F1 for years, plus Audi/VW already having won everything in Sportscars and DTM, plus VW recently lauching their new F3 engine and junior driver package to nurture budding single-seater stars, plus VW joining up with ADAC in launching the new Formula ADAC series in Germany this year (a new FBMW equivalent) to support karting graduate on the path to F1, plus the whole Stuck being appointed Motorsports Director thing............

Could this mean that the VW group may finally be entering F1 soon, and within the Red Bull family as has long been rumoured???

Some may not know that VW already has an F1 sponsorship deal with Toro Rosso already whereby their branding appears in the teams pit garage in exchange for I thing VW supplying the Toro Rosso factory with all of their company cars if memory serves - Image below:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/73570110.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193F4690BDD119B3A6D98E907ACCAF7F43E 284831B75F48EF45

Could the new technology route F1 is going down and cost-cutting initiative FINALLY woo Audi/VW into the sport?

Lets hope so (I do!)

Giuseppe F1
-------------

Other carmakers eyeing F1
Theissen bullish on new road-relevant rules
06/07/08 12:15
------------------------------------------

Other European car manufacturers are considering joining the action on the Formula One grid, according to BMW Sauber boss Mario Theissen.

The German said he understands Audi, Volkswagen and Porsche are interested in the sport's current direction; like BMW's trajectory of success with a reasonable budget, and road-relevant new technologies like KERS.

Theissen also said some Asian manufacturers could follow suit.

"If the introduction of KERS is successful next year, as I expect it to be, it will be the best case I have seen in ten years in Formula One of a synergy with road cars," he told The Times.

"Already my colleagues in the road car research and development department are knocking on our door," Theissen added.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080706121528.shtml

----------------------

Berger wants car maker to partner STR
By Gerhard Kuntschik and Pablo Elizalde
Thursday, July 3rd 2008, 13:21 GMT
---------------------------------------

Gerhard BergerToro Rosso co-owner Gerhard Berger says his team are only interested in partnering with a car manufacturer when Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz sells his part of the Italian squad.

Some possible buyers, including F3 race winners Ultimate, have expressed their interest in buying into the team, who have been put up for sale because Mateschitz wants to focus on Red Bull Racing.

Berger said none of the names linked with the Toro Rosso buyout have been in serious talks with the team, and the Austrian admitted he is only interested in partnering with a car manufacturer.

"It's great to have a man like Dietrich as partner," said Berger. "If Red Bull has to sell its shares in the team because of the rules and because it doesn't make sense under the given situation, it is only reasonable for me to continue with a partner as strong as Red Bull.

"This can only be a car manufacturer. All those recent rumours about 'buyers' are nonsense. We have not had any serious discussion. Forget all the names that appeared in those stories.

"We will only talk to people who intend to bring the team as far as we planned this, on the same level. You must not forget what Red Bull made of this team, what efforts were put in - it is the former Minardi team."

Despite his intention to sell, Mateschitz has promised that Toro Rosso's budget and structure will remain unchanged for 2009.

Berger says their plans for next season are well on schedule.

"We are fully on schedule for 2009, everything goes ahead as planned. We are working with Ferrari on KERS whereas RBR do this with Renault, of course."

The former grand prix winner said Toro Rosso have not began talks with their drivers yet, although he suggested Sebastian Vettel could be moving to Red Bull Racing next season, as speculation continues to indicate David Coulthard will announce his retirement soon.

"We have not discussed this yet," he said. "Bourdais is under contract for 2008 only and the team have an option on him for 2009. Vettel might be moving to Red Bull but it is not fixed yet.

"If we have to replace a driver than preferably by one young guy out of the Red Bull system but I am afraid the GP2 drivers do not have the level for F1 yet.

"If we take one out of GP2 he has to be champion there or at least a multiple race winner. Of course, (Bruno) Senna has moved into the spotlight by winning in Monaco. But ideally it should be a Red Bull driver."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68797

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 18:06
Porsche/Audi/VW are NOT going to be in F1 in the near future!

Giuseppe F1
6th July 2008, 18:11
As Dieter Mateschitz has also gone on record as stating that he will ensure stability to the Toro Rosso team through 2009 as they look for a buyer/investor.....if we presume this to mean that the Ferrari engine deal stays in place for 2009, would 2009, ie one year until 2010 give VW enough time to develop a new F1 engine?

Guess im basically asking, how long do VW/Audi/Porsche need to develop a new F1 engine and how would thay be able to test it in a test-mule what with all the new testing limits or could they be given dispensation?

Imagine this would only be give under joint permission of all the other teams which I cant see them doing in the middle of an engine freeze!

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 18:25
As Dieter Mateschitz has also gone on record as stating that he will ensure stability to the Toro Rosso team through 2009 as they look for a buyer/investor.....if we presume this to mean that the Ferrari engine deal stays in place for 2009, would 2009, ie one year until 2010 give VW enough time to develop a new F1 engine?

Guess im basically asking, how long do VW/Audi/Porsche need to develop a new F1 engine and how would thay be able to test it in a test-mule what with all the new testing limits or could they be given dispensation?

Imagine this would only be give under joint permission of all the other teams which I cant see them doing in the middle of an engine freeze!

Porsche have developed a F1 car, each year for the last 15. The reason for this is that should they ever go into F1, they will have dramatically reduced the learning curve. The technology learned is at the moment used in Le Man for the Audi team. As long as Audi are in Le Mans, Porsche will not be in F1.