PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the day - British GP

Knock-on
6th July 2008, 14:48
3rd - Rubins and Ross Brawn - Superb

2nd - Nick and some of the best passing for a long time. I am not a "quick Nick" fan but he really showed strong today and at any other race, would have had my vote.

1st - What a drive!! Outstanding!! Need I say more. A very happy Knockie :D

markabilly
6th July 2008, 14:49
rubens!!!
Hamilton did what was expected and did it well, but Rubens!! From 16 to 3rd!!

gloomyDAY
6th July 2008, 14:50
3rd - Rubins and Ross Brawn - Superb

2nd - Nick and some of the best passing for a long time. I am not a "quick Nick" fan but he really showed strong today and at any other race, would have had my vote.

1st - What a drive!! Outstanding!! Need I say more. A very happy Knockie :D 100% correct.

Hamilton was stunning today.

yodasarmpit
6th July 2008, 14:50
I would say Rubins with the assistance of Ross Brawn, followed very closely by Lewis with an exceptional drive in the wet.

I am evil Homer
6th July 2008, 14:51
Hamilton for me...stunning driving under pressure when everyone else seemed yo be losing their heads. Rubens did very well but merely keeping on the road doesn't make you driver of the day.

iJones
6th July 2008, 14:52
Heidfeld definitely. Barrichello of course very good. Pity about the refuelling problem.

gm99
6th July 2008, 15:03
Very impressive drive from Hamilton - he totally dominated the race in spite of the very difficult conditions and of the tremendous pressure he was under. Superb job!

Heidfeld also had a great race and completed some great overtaking manoeuvres (like the one against Räikkönen and Kovalainen).

Barrichello once again showed his wet-weather prowress, helped by a flawless Ross Brawn strategy.

BTCC Fan#1
6th July 2008, 15:05
Massa.

Well he kept me entertained. :p

I think it's a 3-way tie, all the podium finishers drove superb races. :up:

ioan
6th July 2008, 15:06
Rubens! :up:
Winning from the front is one thing, 3rd from 16th in a crap car is priceless!

PS: Can we get a poll?!

truefan72
6th July 2008, 15:08
1. LH - simply brilliant
1.b Rubens. great drive, even greater strategy
2. Heidfeld. ever the bridesmaid,but droive outstanding today and took full advantage of his opportunites

ioan
6th July 2008, 15:09
Hamilton for me...stunning driving under pressure when everyone else seemed yo be losing their heads. Rubens did very well but merely keeping on the road doesn't make you driver of the day.

That is crap from you sir, he was the one who kept it continuously on the road, not even Hamilton managed to do so.

It's appalling how Hamilton fans can't be happy even when he drove a good race, they still feel the need to belittle the competition. :rolleyes:

wedge
6th July 2008, 15:09
Lewis - by a mile, he was awesome. He rolled the dice and stayed out on inters when he should've been in full wets.

Great call from Ross but Rubens had nothing to lose by going on full wets

Big Ben
6th July 2008, 15:11
Hamilton did a very good race but everything went his way today... I donīt know what happened after the first pitstop. I would have loved to see him fight against KR.

The driver of the race: RB... what he did in his honda is really impressive

Big Ben
6th July 2008, 15:13
itīs interesting how many british members of this forum see nothing great in RBīs result... they are only impressed by Ross Brawn... quite pathetic

MrJan
6th July 2008, 15:14
I would say Rubins with the assistance of Ross Brawn, followed very closely by Lewis with an exceptional drive in the wet.

IN the press conference Rubens said that it was his choice to go onto wets not Brawn's.

Can't split Lewis and RB IMO, both drove very well and it shouldn't matter if Hamilton was expected to do well because I don't think anyone would predict that he'd win by 1 minute.

TMorel
6th July 2008, 15:15
1st. Rubens + Ross gets the thumbs up from me

2nd. As a big fan of Heidfeld, he did what I expected of him, hence RB gets the nod

3rd. Lewis did more than I expected, but it's Lewis so he gets no more than 3rd

itīs interesting how many british members of this forum see nothing great in RBīs result... they are only impressed by Ross Brawn... quite pathetic
For me, Ross gives Rubens the chance to show what he can still do. It's no good having the tactics if your driver can't deliver, it's no good having the skill and car if your given duff tactics (looks at Massa and Kimi).

MrJan
6th July 2008, 15:18
That is crap from you sir, he was the one who kept it continuously on the road, not even Hamilton managed to do so.

It's appalling how Hamilton fans can't be happy even when he drove a good race, they still feel the need to belittle the competition. :rolleyes:

And you feel the need to belittle Hamilton at every available oppourtunity. Face it, Hamilton is a very good driver and did very well today, even in terrible conditions on inters. That little trip across the grass was a silly mistake but an acceptable one.

Which takes the greater skill; driving in the wet on wets, or driving in the wet on inters?

Thta said I still think Rubens was excellent, refer to my previous post for that :)

Bezza
6th July 2008, 15:18
Barrichello undoubtedly the driver of the race in my opinion, Lewis a very good second. Barrichello drives a Honda and dragged it from nowhere to third place! Hamilton had the best wet weather car and kept it on the track (apart from a brief excursion) and all the tactics were spot on, but I'm looking for that little bit extra and it came from Rubinho.

The gap from Hamilton to Heidfeld made James Allen et al believe it was better than it was! Good drive all the same though - tricky conditions.

ioan
6th July 2008, 15:20

For once we agree! What were you expecting? Rubens is not British so he can't be best of the day, not even if he won.
These are the Lewy fanboys and we'll have to live with their level.

wedge
6th July 2008, 15:21
IN the press conference Rubens said that it was his choice to go onto wets not Brawn's.

Well it was a team effort. Rubens made the first call and Ross and co would crunch some numbers and have more info on the weather.

itīs interesting how many british members of this forum see nothing great in RBīs result...

I'm wondering which is harder to drive:

A bad car on full wets in wet conditions or a good car on inters in wet conditions??? :confused:

MrJan
6th July 2008, 15:23
For once we agree! What were you expecting? Rubens is not British so he can't be best of the day, not even if he won.
These are the Lewy fanboys and we'll have to live with their level.

And all us Lewis fans have to put up with abuse because he's British. If Rubens hadn't finished 3rd then you probably still wouldn't rate LH as driver of the day :rolleyes:

yodasarmpit
6th July 2008, 15:23

Can't split Lewis and RB IMO, both drove very well and it shouldn't matter if Hamilton was expected to do well because I don't think anyone would predict that he'd win by 1 minute.
I just saw the press conference, and that makes Rubins drive even more impressive.

ioan
6th July 2008, 15:24
And you feel the need to belittle Hamilton at every available oppourtunity. Face it, Hamilton is a very good driver and did very well today, even in terrible conditions on inters. That little trip across the grass was a silly mistake but an acceptable one.

I said Hamilton drove a good race, how is that belittling?! :rolleyes:

yodasarmpit
6th July 2008, 15:27
Rubens is not British so he can't be best of the day, not even if he won.
Rubins has always been well loved over here in good old Blighty, so you are a little off the mark sonny Jim.

wedge
6th July 2008, 15:34
Rubins has always been well loved over here in good old Blighty, so you are a little off the mark sonny Jim.

Exactly!!!

I'm remembered you could hear the crowd roar from the TV just as he passed Kimi for the lead in 2003. I remember the last few laps the crowd were jumping up and down arms in the air.

I say again, which is worse: a bad car on full wets in wet conditions or a good car on inters in wet conditions?

You're less likely to aquaplane on full wets than inters. Rubens took the safe option. Lewis would look like an idiot had he fell off the track and lost the win on inters.

Yesman
6th July 2008, 15:35
I think Nakajima deserves a mention, good drive from him despite spinning 2-3 times still finished in the points.

VkmSpouge
6th July 2008, 15:37
Rubens Barrichello had an exceedingly good race today. With the correct tyre call from Ross Brawn, Barrichello took full advantage of his tyres and might well have got second if it wasn't for his re-fuelling problem. Jenson Button might have been able to get 4th had he not gone off.

However my driver of the day is Lewis Hamilton. The McLaren driver was awesome on his intermediate tyres in those torrential conditions, at one point he was going seconds faster than anyone else on inters. He lapped all his championship rivals (Massa twice) and his team mate and he finish over a minute clear of his closest challenger (the superb Nick Heidfeld). Hamilton could not have done any better today.

HenryM
6th July 2008, 15:39
for sure rubinho (Rubens) on 3rd place in a honda is very impressive, he drove very well and made the right choice... but the fact is, the driver of the day is hamilton, he was a LOT faster than the other drivers in the worst part of the race,

F1boat
6th July 2008, 15:41
Barrichello. Never went off track and scored a podium with a very bad car which failed to get trough Q1.
Lewis drove very well too, despite his little off-track adventure and Quick Nick also drove well. Alonso showed a good spirit.

gravity
6th July 2008, 15:49
Rain is the great 'equaliser'. It levels the playing field. Lewis blew the field away with his drive today. I think the rest of the teams/drivers have to hope for a dry 2nd half of the season 'cause another wet race is going to be another 1 horse race again.

Rubens mentioned in the post-race press conference with words to the effect that he went off twice on his inlap, thus his decision to run full wets.

markabilly
6th July 2008, 15:59
Well it was a team effort. Rubens made the first call and Ross and co would crunch some numbers and have more info on the weather.

I'm wondering which is harder to drive:

A bad car on full wets in wet conditions or a good car on inters in wet conditions??? :confused:

Team effort and planning!!!and I would take a bad car with proper tires over inter or "semi-dry" on a really wet track, so hats off to lewis (although I am sure he will do a fine job congratulating himself without any help from any of us forum members or anyone else either.)

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 16:01
Rubens Barrichello had an exceedingly good race today. With the correct tyre call from Ross Brawn, Barrichello took full advantage of his tyres and might well have got second if it wasn't for his re-fuelling problem. Jenson Button might have been able to get 4th had he not gone off.

However my driver of the day is Lewis Hamilton. The McLaren driver was awesome on his intermediate tyres in those torrential conditions, at one point he was going seconds faster than anyone else on inters. He lapped all his championship rivals (Massa twice) and his team mate and he finish over a minute clear of his closest challenger (the superb Nick Heidfeld). Hamilton could not have done any better today.

I couldn't possibly add anything to that.

By the way, ioan, does the fact that I agree that Hamilton was the driver of the race, combined with the fact that I'm British, make me a 'Lewy fanboy'? Because no-one can just have an opinion on something without some sort of national or personal bias, can they...

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 16:03
Quick Nick also drove well.

Yes, he did, and he pulled off the move of the day. Great stuff.

MrJan
6th July 2008, 16:24

He pulled off 2 moves of the day :eek: Solid drive :up:

ioan
6th July 2008, 16:37
And all us Lewis fans have to put up with abuse because he's British.

No, because he is stupid. That's my opinion about him. Maybe he'll get smarter when he'll grow up, but for now he lacks something between the ears.

maxu05
6th July 2008, 16:39
The top 3 were standouts for sure, but I was very impressed with Nakajima finishing 8th, great drive IMO.

ioan
6th July 2008, 16:42

Hopefully he really got over his qualifying problems. I was having enough of how exceptional Robert is and how poor Nick is in comparison.

VkmSpouge
6th July 2008, 16:45
The top 3 were standouts for sure, but I was very impressed with Nakajima finishing 8th, great drive IMO.

I thought Nakajima had a good drive but he did have a spin and lost 7th place on the last lap which tempered how good I thought it was.
Nick Heidfeld also had a good race he also had the two best passes of the day. Outside of Glock and inside of Alonso and then a few laps later inside of both Raikkonen and Kovalainen. Great moves.

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 16:56

There is a valid point here, regarding McLaren fans. Now I am aware that it is wrong to generalize, however there is not another option. McLaren fans, never give another driver credit, unless he is British (yes it seems as though most McLaren fans are British). They always have an excuse, blame Ferrari and or the FIA/Max. In other words, Hamilton/McLaren fans are the worst sports. Maybe it comes from the extreme jealousy they had for the greatest of them all, Michael Schumacher and what he did in making Ferrari the greatest team ever.

Robinho
6th July 2008, 16:57
any other day Rubens would have it for me, Nick also showed some flashes and good pace without mistakes, but i'd say Lewis for the times when he was seconds quicker than everyone else on the same tyres - for me it was one of those drives that made everyone else lok a little bit silly, Senna '93 donington, MS, Spain '97 spring to mind

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 17:02
No, because he is stupid. That's my opinion about him. Maybe he'll get smarter when he'll grow up, but for now he lacks something between the ears.

The telecast here is a lot later and by chance I found out that Hamilton won. In hindsite, I am so pleased I found out, for the thought of listening to Allen rambling on with his ridiculous rhetoric about Airhead Hamilton, is more than any human should have to endure.

Robinho
6th July 2008, 17:08
The telecast here is a lot later and by chance I found out that Hamilton won. In hindsite, I am so pleased I found out, for the thought of listening to Allen rambling on with his ridiculous rhetoric about Airhead Hamilton, is more than any human should have to endure.

whilst James "i'm a massive cock" Allen was quite annoying today, fortunately on that score the cameras followed the racing behind hamilton for a lot of the race as Lewis was clear after the first quarter

MrJan
6th July 2008, 18:08
There is a valid point here, regarding McLaren fans. Now I am aware that it is wrong to generalize, however there is not another option. McLaren fans, never give another driver credit, unless he is British (yes it seems as though most McLaren fans are British). They always have an excuse, blame Ferrari and or the FIA/Max. In other words, Hamilton/McLaren fans are the worst sports. Maybe it comes from the extreme jealousy they had for the greatest of them all, Michael Schumacher and what he did in making Ferrari the greatest team ever.

I think it's the same for all fans of everything. Football fans will always blame the referee, racing drivers will have all sorts of excuses and so will their fans. I'm a Hamilton fan but wouldn't say that I'm a bad sport, a good drive will always deserve praise. Schumacher fans were just the same and are still perfectly happy to jump to the defence of disgraceful sportsmanship (I'm thinking Monaco track blocking here).

On the James Allen subject I don't think he's that bad. (Although that may be because I tune him out). The majority of F1 viewers are fairly casual and are most likely to be interested in Hamilton and no one else. Just because a lot of people watch that don't want to hear about him doesn't mean that he will stop harping on. Also you've got to remember that Britain hasn't had a driver of Hamilton's calibre for a very long time so it's fairly exciting for a lot of people.

To be honest though, as long as Brundle keeps up with sensible comments (like not asking Ross Brawn how amazing LH is but about heavy fuel loads) then I'm happy (although even he can be a bit dodgy at times). It's when the camera only shows the leaders that annoys me. Just because a battle between 3 drivers is only for 10th doesn't mean that it's less exciting than watching the leader 10 seconds ahead of everyone else. Show the bloody racing. (Incidentally thought that coverage was very good today, lots of lower field action and barely saw Hamilton for half the race :up: )

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 18:19
You said "The majority of F1 viewers are fairly casual and are most likely to be interested in Hamilton and no one else" are you talking about all viewers, or just the UK. For my part, I can't stand the guy, I find him to be an obnoxious, loudmouth airhead, in fact I can easily say, that I dislike him almost as much as I did Senna and no I dont hate everybody except Michael, truth is I like most of the drivers. ( of course I cannot stand the Hobbit)

MrJan
6th July 2008, 18:41
You said "The majority of F1 viewers are fairly casual and are most likely to be interested in Hamilton and no one else" are you talking about all viewers, or just the UK.

I wouldn't be so arrogant or shortsighted to believe that the rest of the world cares :) Lewis has created a lot of interest in the UK (look at the crowd for today) and it seems that more people are watching the sport but only know 1 name. These are the people that don't want to see anyone else.

And given that England is not used to having a winner in any major sport young Lewis is quite a rarity that people want to shout about. Slowly though people are realising that he isn't all smiles. Like most great racers he's got a fairly nasty streak but at the minute he seems to be getting the job done and that's what the general punlic in the UK are after.

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 18:46
I wouldn't be so arrogant or shortsighted to believe that the rest of the world cares :) Lewis has created a lot of interest in the UK (look at the crowd for today) and it seems that more people are watching the sport but only know 1 name. These are the people that don't want to see anyone else.

And given that England is not used to having a winner in any major sport young Lewis is quite a rarity that people want to shout about. Slowly though people are realising that he isn't all smiles. Like most great racers he's got a fairly nasty streak but at the minute he seems to be getting the job done and that's what the general punlic in the UK are after.

Good post, accurate description!

jens
6th July 2008, 18:54
Yeah! Absolutely fantastic! Hamilton has answered to all those critics, who have said he is no good, can't handle the pressure, will never win a WDC, etc, in brilliant style! :cool: In front of homecrowd, under a lot of criticism, in changing and difficult conditions he absolutely destroyed the opposition! I know this statement may upset some, but Hamilton was truly Sennaesque today! ;) This drive was certainly no inferior to Senna's in Donington 1993. Lewis has won 3 wet races out of 5 in his F1 career, which means the winning percentage is 60 - who dares to say he's not a Rainmaster?

It's not too often I would vote for a winner, but an advantage of a full minute shows an incredible, a truly outstanding performance. I'm hyping him a lot now ( :p :) , but I have been tired of all those critics and the revenge is sweet. Don't write off Lewis, he is well in the championship contention!

ArrowsFA1
6th July 2008, 19:14
Hamilton was absolutely stunning today. Brilliant. His winning margin over the rest of the field says it all. In those conditions (which were the same for everyone) he was very simply a class apart.

Rubens had a great race as well. To get the Honda on the podium is quite an achievement, but that should be qualified by saying the team had nothing to lose. They gambled and they won - good on 'em :up:

GridGirl
6th July 2008, 19:16

Thats complete and utter rubbish. I was at the race and when Barichello stepped up onto the podium he got by far the biggest cheer of the day. :)

Although Hamilton made a great start and had a great over take its still got to be Ruben's for me. Today's conditions were those where Rubens just exceeds everyones expectations. Unfortunately I doubt Rubens has got many more years in him and we wont get to see too many more drives like that from him in the future.

markabilly
6th July 2008, 19:45
Would have it been different if kimi had been running the same tires strategy as hamilton?

Would have been far more interesting

J4MIE
6th July 2008, 19:52
Lewis by a country mile :up:

jarrambide
6th July 2008, 20:08
Then he is surely the driver of the day, taking into consideration how stupid he is, winning on a rainy day 68.5 seconds ahead of 2nd place Heidfeld and 82.2 seconds ahead of 3rd place Rubens, and even tough technically he didnīt lapped Rubens in the official results, 82.2 seconds ahead of Rubens is what makes me think Hamilton was the driver of the day.

What Rubens did was very impressive, and I like him a lot, and Iīm not British, but I canīt choose Rubens as driver of the day when I see than on a rainy race Hamilton was 68.5 seconds ahead of his nearest competitor.

Zico
6th July 2008, 20:28
I said Hamilton drove a good race, how is that belittling?! :rolleyes:

He was talking about your criticism and belittling of Lewis in general,

ie

:p

Big Ben
6th July 2008, 20:29
Thats complete and utter rubbish. I was at the race and when Barichello stepped up onto the podium he got by far the biggest cheer of the day. :)

Although Hamilton made a great start and had a great over take its still got to be Ruben's for me. Today's conditions were those where Rubens just exceeds everyones expectations. Unfortunately I doubt Rubens has got many more years in him and we wont get to see too many more drives like that from him in the future.

no. it is not complete and utter rubbish... it's just partially

I think all three (LH, NH, RB) deserve a ten for this race. But I think RB's result is outstanding because that honda is one of the worst car on the grid. Some in here (most of them Hamilton's fans and British) give all the credit to Ross Brawn (British also). it seems it was Ruben's call in the tyre option also. (at least that's what I have been reading on this thread).

Okay so Hamilton had a very good race... why the need to underestimate RB's result?... this kind of attitude is pathetic and complete and utter rubbish

I hate LH but today he was very good. It's a shame though KR wasn't able to keep up after the first pit stop. Hamilton's race might have been a bit less brilliant and me a bit happier. :laugh:

jens
6th July 2008, 20:39
Yeah, Rubens deserves a comment too. :p : His performance was very good, but I don't choose him as driver of the race instead of Hamilton simply because his performance was definetely flattered by extreme wets with which he lapped some 5-10 secs faster than anyone else at one phase of the race. If he had achieved P3 with driving inters throughout the race, I would certainly nominate him as DOTD over LH. Quite interesting that an "old dog" has achieved a podium for three races in a row (DC, JT, RB). P3 is a good payback for the unluck Rubens has suffered in the last years. :)

Anyway, it seems Button's poor performances may extend Barrichello's career for one more season. Again the Englishman was outqualified by the Brazilian and again crashed in wet conditions, which he seems to be doing way too often recently. RB is the man, who has been collecting the goods for Honda recently. And Honda - as usual - has capitalized on a wet race.

Zico
6th July 2008, 20:41
Okay so Hamilton had a very good race... why the need to underestimate RB's result?... this kind of attitude is pathetic and complete and utter rubbish.

No its not a pathetic attitude or complete and utter rubish... they just have their own personal opinion and you have yours.

I think all three (LH, NH, RB) deserve a ten for this race. But I think RB's result is outstanding because that honda is one of the worst car on the grid. Some in here (most of them Hamilton's fans and British) give all the credit to Ross Brawn (British also). it seems it was Ruben's call in the tyre option also. (at least that's what I have been reading on this thread)

100% agree...

wedge
6th July 2008, 22:39
Okay so Hamilton had a very good race... why the need to underestimate RB's result?... this kind of attitude is pathetic and complete and utter rubbish

So which is more difficult car to drive? A bad car on full wets on wet track or good car on inters on wet track?

In wet conditions there's more emphasis on mechanical grip and tyres.

Rubens was on the correct tyres (full wets) at the correct time when it was pouring with rain. At one point he was 10s a lap faster than Hamilton who was on inters and made minor mistakes compared to most of his rivals who stayed out on inters and spun and flew off the track.

Even Rubens admitted he spun off the track when he pitted.

Sleeper
6th July 2008, 22:44
Hamilton. Why? Becasue he was only a couple of seconds slower than Rubens when on the wrong tyres and 5 seconds faster than anyone else, thats a huge advantage that we havnt seen from one driver over the field for a very long time. Rubens drove brilliantly and made the best of the right strategy call, when almost no one else did (not sure what happened to Button to drop behind Rubens or after he went off at Bridge because we never saw the car stop).

Heidfeldt gave the overtacking move of the year, and then did it again 20 laps later, but was over a minute behind Hamilton, normally a McLaren would be lucky to get 20 seconds a BMW.

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 22:44

Interesting use of the word 'always' here. Unless some proof can be offered to show that every single person who admires Lewis Hamilton as an F1 driver has never given credit to any other driver, I think the above comments are unnecessary.

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 22:47
Quite interesting that an "old dog" has achieved a podium for three races in a row (DC, JT, RB). P3 is a good payback for the unluck Rubens has suffered in the last years. :)

Anyway, it seems Button's poor performances may extend Barrichello's career for one more season. Again the Englishman was outqualified by the Brazilian and again crashed in wet conditions, which he seems to be doing way too often recently. RB is the man, who has been collecting the goods for Honda recently. And Honda - as usual - has capitalized on a wet race.

Absolutely right. :up:

I think Button seems demoralised. Of the other Brits, even Coulthard has gained more attention from his performances this year — yes, most of it hasn't been positive, but at least he's got a podium! I'm not writing Button off (far from it) but his run of poor results this year can't be the best thing for his morale.

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 22:48
Then he is surely the driver of the day, taking into consideration how stupid he is, winning on a rainy day 68.5 seconds ahead of 2nd place Heidfeld and 82.2 seconds ahead of 3rd place Rubens, and even tough technically he didnīt lapped Rubens in the official results, 82.2 seconds ahead of Rubens is what makes me think Hamilton was the driver of the day.

What Rubens did was very impressive, and I like him a lot, and Iīm not British, but I canīt choose Rubens as driver of the day when I see than on a rainy race Hamilton was 68.5 seconds ahead of his nearest competitor.

:up:

Nice to see some pure common sense from a proper enthusiast.

MrJan
6th July 2008, 23:10
Absolutely right. :up:

I think Button seems demoralised. Of the other Brits, even Coulthard has gained more attention from his performances this year — yes, most of it hasn't been positive, but at least he's got a podium! I'm not writing Button off (far from it) but his run of poor results this year can't be the best thing for his morale.

Jense has been a nearly man and, like Webber, seems to have acheived less than his talent would suggest. I thought that the rain today and no TC would play into his smooth driving style but it wasn't to be. I still think that he deserves a seat and has potential but soon he's going to be an old boy :p :

He still seems to have a smile on his face but I think that the best thing he could do is try and get a drive elsewhere, that Honda has been promising for years but ultimately has lacked the development that we've seen at BMW and even RBR.

(IMO ;) )

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 23:12
Jense has been a nearly man and, like Webber, seems to have acheived less than his talent would suggest. I thought that the rain today and no TC would play into his smooth driving style but it wasn't to be. I still think that he deserves a seat and has potential but soon he's going to be an old boy :p :

He still seems to have a smile on his face but I think that the best thing he could do is try and get a drive elsewhere, that Honda has been promising for years but ultimately has lacked the development that we've seen at BMW and even RBR.

(IMO ;) )

It's basically MO too! ;)

Sleeper
6th July 2008, 23:28

(IMO ;) )
From what I've seen, Jensons been a bit faster than Rubens in the races all year (and usually less than a tenth behind in qualy as well, though I dont know why that is) but has been on a streek of bad luck recently (caught the back of Heidfeldt in Monaco, Gearbox problems in Canada etc). Apparently he hit standing water at Bridge and that makes a passanger out of everyone.

As for going somwhere else, I dont see the point. The Hondas were just on the edge of the top 10 early in the year but havnt had much development since, with everything going into next years car (huge rule changes could mean they can make a big leap), as Brawn said they would at the start of the year.

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 23:31
As for going somwhere else, I dont see the point. The Hondas were just on the edge of the top 10 early in the year but havnt had much development since, with everything going into next years car (huge rule changes could mean they can make a big leap), as Brawn said they would at the start of the year.

Very fair point, though, as with Toyota, I'll truly believe this progress when I see it and see it consistently.

MrJan
6th July 2008, 23:32
From what I've seen, Jensons been a bit faster than Rubens in the races all year (and usually less than a tenth behind in qualy as well, though I dont know why that is) but has been on a streek of bad luck recently (caught the back of Heidfeldt in Monaco, Gearbox problems in Canada etc). Apparently he hit standing water at Bridge and that makes a passanger out of everyone.

Honda have been coming back with a bigger and better car for years and years but I'm yet to see one that's capable of winning regularly. Meanwhile we've seen Sauber transformed into BMW and pretty much in the hunt for podiums in most races. This is a team that was in the same position as Honda not so long ago. For my money RBR would seems a better bet at the minute but then I'm not wise to the whys, wherefores and whathaveyous of F1 employment and development.

Hondo
7th July 2008, 01:28
I tend to base my Driver of the Day vote on who managed to achieve the most with the least expectations of doing so. I've got to go with Rubens on this one. You can bet Honda is happy with him today.

Mikeall
7th July 2008, 02:57
Barrichello is the driver of the day. 16th to 3rd despite pitstop problems and judged the conditions perfectly.

Hamilton made virtually no mistakes on a day when everyone was on and off the track and was easily the fastest overall but I think his race was significantly easier to accomplish than Barrichellos.

Heidfeld was brilliant at overtaking but should have been closer to Hamilton than he was as a McLaren should not be on average a second faster than a BMW.

Alonso was the only other one I was really impressed with but the strategy and tyre wear cost him places in a race when he was one of the fastest and had few, if any off track moments.

jso1985
7th July 2008, 03:35
how possible was for Hamilton to kick everyone's butt on the rain? quite possible
how possible was for a Honda to finish on a podium, even on rain? not so possible

but as Hamilton did a perfect race, I split my vote between him and Barrichello

DezinerPaul
7th July 2008, 03:37
Interesting use of the word 'always' here. Unless some proof can be offered to show that every single person who admires Lewis Hamilton as an F1 driver has never given credit to any other driver, I think the above comments are unnecessary.

If you read the start of the comment, I did say that it is not fair to generalize, that meant that the statement should have read "as a rule" not always!

DezinerPaul
7th July 2008, 03:40
Cannot stand Hamilton, at any time, he is a jerk, loud mouth and an airhead. However at days end, he won, that make him driver of the day. His team adapted best to the adverse conditions. If the question was who is the best driver, well that is a different question, it is who was the man on the day, it was Airhead Hamilton!

cosmicpanda
7th July 2008, 05:46
Hamilton made virtually no mistakes on a day when everyone was on and off the track and was easily the fastest overall but I think his race was significantly easier to accomplish than Barrichellos.

But at the wettest part of the Grand Prix I think Hamilton was on inters, whereas Rubens was on full wets. It must have been harder at that point.

Storm
7th July 2008, 06:59
A lot of people had good races in tricky conditions (Heidfeld, Webber till he started spinning a lot, Rubens) and some did pretty well even after some weird tactics (Alonso, Kimi) but surely it was a master-class of driving in the wet and under pressure from Lewis Hamilton.

He was the chump in Canada but drove like a champ at Silverstone.
I can't stand his smugness and the fan-boyism around him but he was the driver of the day.

Massa looked the chump today and Heikki should have done better!

ioan
7th July 2008, 07:45
If the question was who is the best driver, well that is a different question, it is who was the man on the day, it was Airhead Hamilton!

Well the questio is exactly who was the DRIVER of the race!

ArrowsFA1
7th July 2008, 08:24
But at the wettest part of the Grand Prix I think Hamilton was on inters, whereas Rubens was on full wets. It must have been harder at that point.
That's the very point that Ross Brawn made - Hamilton's pace on the inters when wets were the tyres to have was very impressive.

Knock-on
7th July 2008, 09:40
That's the very point that Ross Brawn made - Hamilton's pace on the inters when wets were the tyres to have was very impressive.

But what does Ross know :laugh:

I just wonder why some of the other teams near the back didn't change when they saw how quick Honda were?

Not taking anything away from Rubins (and I am a Honda fan as well) as he had a superb result but it WAS due to strategy and tyres where Lewis was exceptional on Inters and drove through their limitations. It reminds me of another driver that used to make slicks pay off for him when others jumped onto wets ;)

Dave B
7th July 2008, 10:21
Barrichello's podium was a welcome and refreshing sight, and it was apparently his call to switch to wets. Sure he had less to lose, starting from 16th, but it was nevertheless a great judgement call and his resultant 3rd place was thouroughly deserved. But for a refuelling problem he may even have taken 2nd!

For me, though, driver of the day simply has to be Lewis. That's nothing to do with his nationality - I've been happy enough to criticise him when I feel he's deserved it - it's everything to do with his pace and sublime car control on intermediates giving him an advantage of over one minute by the end of the race.

It's also very easy to overlook Hamilton's excellent start, controlled agression when most were taking the cautious approach. It was only a matter of time before he passed Kovy, and once he got clear that was effectively game over.

Special mention must also go to Webber. He was genuinely on the pace all weekend, and although he made a costly error in the opening stages his drive through the field was fantastic to watch.

555-04Q2
7th July 2008, 10:54
Hamilton. What a drive :up:

ioan
7th July 2008, 11:03
But what does Ross know :laugh:

I just wonder why some of the other teams near the back didn't change when they saw how quick Honda were?

Not taking anything away from Rubins (and I am a Honda fan as well) as he had a superb result but it WAS due to strategy and tyres where Lewis was exceptional on Inters and drove through their limitations. It reminds me of another driver that used to make slicks pay off for him when others jumped onto wets ;)

I bet if it was Button instead of Rubens than it would have been all about flashes of genius, not about the right strategy call (and as David pointed it out it seems it was Rubens who decided for the full wets). :p :

BDunnell
7th July 2008, 11:12
Does everything have to be brought back to perceived accusations of bias on the part of one poster or another? I find it really sad that, for example, in praising Hamilton's drive Dave feels the need to say 'That's nothing to do with his nationality'. Neither he, nor anyone else, should have to defend their opinions in that way, yet lots of us now have to, lest we be jumped upon by someone suggesting that our nationality has something to do with our views.

Knock-on
7th July 2008, 11:42
I bet if it was Button instead of Rubens than it would have been all about flashes of genius, not about the right strategy call (and as David pointed it out it seems it was Rubens who decided for the full wets). :p :

For the hard of understanding I have already given my opinion on who I thought were the best 3 drivers and why. If you do not agree, then live with it but for me, Lewis was the driver of the day.

I also said that if wasn't for such a spectacular drive from LH, the award would have gone to Rubins but you choose to ifnor facts completely in favour of your own agenda, yet again :rolleyes:

Lastly, I would imagine that the pit would have helped Rubins with his decision, wouldn't you?

"Rubins, we think it's wet enough to go for full wets, what do you think?"

"Yeah man, it's lethal out here. I'm coming in!!"

Sound plausible :laugh:

wedge
7th July 2008, 11:59
Does everything have to be brought back to perceived accusations of bias on the part of one poster or another? I find it really sad that, for example, in praising Hamilton's drive Dave feels the need to say 'That's nothing to do with his nationality'. Neither he, nor anyone else, should have to defend their opinions in that way, yet lots of us now have to, lest we be jumped upon by someone suggesting that our nationality has something to do with our views.

Because the Hamilton/McLaren-haters/bashers will look for any excuse not to give full credit to the guy.

The thing is nationality has very little influence in here. Guys like Ioan should know better. It was only a few years ago where we had the obligatory post-race Bunsen-bash - plenty of people here who, like myself, want to see Button do well but are quick to point out flaws and criticisms.

gravity
7th July 2008, 12:21
But when u point out a flaw, u'll get someone saying, "Typical xxxx fans! They pick on their driver even when they do well." I'm pretty sure I saw a post like that somewhere on the forums.

aryan
8th July 2008, 02:55

Correction: He pulled off two moves of the day :cool:

aryan
8th July 2008, 02:59
Driver of the race: Lewis for me. His driving in the wet on interns when full wets were clearly the tyre to be on, was awesome.

Closely followed by Rubens. Great drive. Great choice of tyre. Kudos to Brawn for letting him have his say. To all those who are in favour of younger drivers, see what experience can bring to the table.

Overtaking move of the race: Quick Nick. Simply brilliant.

Honourable mention to Mr. Nakajima the Junior. He's doing an awesome job.

ArrowsFA1
9th July 2008, 11:47
Ed Foster (http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/2008/07/08/a-very-one-sided-view-of-the-past-week/) sums it up quite well:

Lewis Hamilton’s drive on the weekend was epic. There is no other word for it. Everyone makes mistakes and the British Press’ reaction to his two no scores was typical of our Daily Mail approach to life, where drama can be made out of Mrs take-what-you-get-and-give-nothing-back tripping over a mal-adjusted paving stone and sueing the man who laid them 50 years ago.
:s mokin:

Jimbo Mc
11th July 2008, 21:41
Drivers of the race - Lewis and Rubens, everyone else was blown into the weeds!!

stevie_gerrard
14th July 2008, 01:02
Rubens was superb, clearly the quickest man on the track with the extreme wets. Really drove his heart out, and kept it on the road which was the important thing. Lewis was up there, but i think when you are in a really awful car to get it on the podium is a great thing no matter what the conditions :)