PDA

View Full Version : Yet more PC tosh

Hazell B
5th July 2008, 20:29
Had one of the locals wandering about on my stable yard the other day looking for a missing swarm of bees (long story - you don't need details) and as my dogs were pestering during the search I told one of them to "go fetch Fat Teddy" so I could throw it and the get the dogs to go and play.

Believe it or not, the local told me off for calling the dog's teddy 'Fat' :mark:

Of course the excuses came pouring out of him when he went on the explain his granddaughter had been taught PC at school with a list of words on the blackboard and I pointed out he said 'black' :p :

Seriously, I wish people would think before dragging out this political correctness overkill. It was a chubby beige teddy that a dog plays with. It has a name because we don't want it confused with Pink Teddy, Pirate Teddy, Green Lion or Wolfie. IT'S NOT A REAL PERSON!!!!

PC is great in some cases, but all the pointless rubbish isn't doing the real issues any favours.

No wonder the guy's bees left him - they were probably sick of being called Honey Operatives with a Sexless Royal Leader :rolleyes:

Eki
5th July 2008, 20:50
That's THICK. Guy's bees were probably in his bonnet.

Drew
5th July 2008, 20:53
I can see most people's responces to this thread already..

They still have blackboards up your way, old school!

Hondo
6th July 2008, 04:54
I don't have that problem with Sweetie. Anything that is thrown for her to chase and fetch back is a "bunny rabbit". Anything used for tug of war is a "rope". Anything fed to her other than her regular supper is a "snacko". We use the one label fits all method. Oh yeah, any pork chop, steak, or burger that disappears from an unwatched plate is a "mystery".

maxu05
6th July 2008, 06:18
I hate all this PC as well. A fat person is a fat person, why beat around the bush. I have no problem with anybodies weight, size race or creed, but, IMO, tell it like it is. I am quite skinny, am I going to all upset if someone says I am skinny ? It's true, so why should I be offended. I like my Chinese children for this. I once worked with another teacher from Australia, and on her first day, one of the six year olds asked her what it's like to be fat. This child asked in an innocent way, and did not mean offence, but was just curious to know. Later, she told me she was a little taken back by it, but I laughed and told her not to worry about it, as I have hairy arms, and the small children told me that I am a monkey because of this. I think people these days are hypersensative to these things, when they have more concerning matters to deal with.

Dave B
6th July 2008, 09:54
PC tosh?

Wasn't he in The Bill? :p

Azumanga Davo
6th July 2008, 11:14
PC tosh?

Wasn't he in The Bill? :p

*large groan that last about an hour commences*

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 15:46
I would be interested to know whether the chap's granddaughter really had been 'taught PC' at school.

Daniel
6th July 2008, 16:44
I would be interested to know whether the chap's granddaughter really had been 'taught PC' at school.
Sounds a bit madeup to me :p

Hazell B
6th July 2008, 17:29
We use the one label fits all method.

My dogs don't share very well with each other, so each have their own, named, toys. Snobby beggars :p :

Oh yeah, any pork chop, steak, or burger that disappears from an unwatched plate is a "mystery".

We check whiskers for crumbs ;)
Then blame Naburn as he's probably wiped his face on Kipper to remove evidence anyhow :mark:

Anyway, Daniel is just being nonPC saying I'm making stuff up :p :
It seems the children where asked what words they thought might be naughty to say, and these were listed as not bad, bad and so on. They're infants for goodness sake - isn't that style of teaching just encouraging them to learn new words you shouldn't use!
The upshot was that calling somebody fat was naughty.

I have no idea what calling somebody white, middle class and employed would count as :mark:

Eki
6th July 2008, 19:54
I have no idea what calling somebody white, middle class and employed would count as :mark:
It would count as Snobby beggar.

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 23:03
It seems the children where asked what words they thought might be naughty to say, and these were listed as not bad, bad and so on. They're infants for goodness sake - isn't that style of teaching just encouraging them to learn new words you shouldn't use!

Interesting point. I suspect the same would be the case beyond the age of those kids, if my school was anything to go by!

Drew
7th July 2008, 01:09
The upshot was that calling somebody fat was naughty.

The children of today, useless. The only f word they could think of was fat? I think the teacher had a bit of a lucky escape there...

JSH
7th July 2008, 17:31
"go fetch Fat Teddy"

Yeah.. "go fetch Horizontally Challenged Teddy" doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same way does it?

Azumanga Davo
8th July 2008, 10:59
Yeah.. "go fetch Horizontally Challenged Teddy" doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same way does it?

Neither does it's full title, the "Horizontally Challenged Plaything Ages 3+ with Fur".

Hazell B
9th July 2008, 19:52
"go fetch Horizontally Challenged Teddy"

You've just named Kipper's next tubbyteddy :up:

Caroline
9th July 2008, 21:49
Most children are very aware of rude words. Blame TV, inapproriate video games and parents who don't censure their speech in front of the family. Teachers have been known to learn stuff from certain kids... :p