PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton driving a little like Montoya

mervyn charter
5th July 2008, 15:52
Lewis is reminding me a bit like Montoya did in his first year at Mc Laren in that he is undoubtedly,very fast and great at overtaking, but making too many errors.

Hamiliton needs to re-focus quickly as he is spoiling his world Championship chances just as Montoya did during his Williams and Mclaren career with a number of errors costing him victories.

Lewis has also had relatively very few reliablity problems in his short formula one career and Montoya was much more unfortunate in that he probably lost close to ten victories when at Williams due to Mechanical failures.

F1boat
5th July 2008, 17:52
I thought about this too. Lewis reminds me of JPM, although for some reason I like him less than the Colombian.

Tazio
5th July 2008, 22:22
I think LH, FM, FA, and KR have all lent themselves to a little Juan Pabaloneyanism :D

ShiftingGears
6th July 2008, 05:37
Lewis is reminding me a bit like Montoya did in his first year at Mc Laren in that he is undoubtedly,very fast and great at overtaking, but making too many errors.

Hamiliton needs to re-focus quickly as he is spoiling his world Championship chances just as Montoya did during his Williams and Mclaren career with a number of errors costing him victories.

Lewis has also had relatively very few reliablity problems in his short formula one career and Montoya was much more unfortunate in that he probably lost close to ten victories when at Williams due to Mechanical failures.

This struck me as being a similarity also.

He definitely needs to learn from his mistakes if he wants to win that championship any time soon. Otherwise, like Montoya, he will be seen as a case of unfulfilled potential.

ioan
6th July 2008, 11:03
Lewy to Nascar?!
Now, that would be news! :rotflmao:

Big Ben
6th July 2008, 12:07
For a while he did seem really cool but then he came up with the idea that he's the best out there and now he drives like a fool most of the time trying desperately to show just how good he is....

go on lewy boy.. I'm having a really good time seeing you how you make a fool of yourself...

It was also interesting to see RD's 'joy' for yesterday's pole...

F1boat
6th July 2008, 12:11

Yeah, it was shocking. I guess that Kovalainen will let Hamilton to overtake him.

wedge
6th July 2008, 12:28
The difference between JPM and Hamilton is that JPM is a lot more arrogant than Lewis, more hot-headed and lets his heart rule his head. That's why he's an unfulfilled potential.

Lewis reminds me more of someone like Gilles Villeneuve. Both ultra-competitive and races to win. Gilles said he doesn't race to consolidate points, he races to win. He was nicknamed 'Air Canada' because of his tendency to be involved in incidents and going airborne. Unfortunately his competitive spirit cost him his life.

Lewis is no different, IMHO. He'd rather pass the car infront as if his life depended on it, that's where his mistakes have come from.

jas123f1
6th July 2008, 12:37
It was a long time a go I was there and what that's how it looks like ... http://www.mclaren.com/

Who thinks that McLaren drivers get the same treatment when even McLaren’s official homepage looks like that :/

Knock-on
6th July 2008, 14:42
I'm loving reading this :laugh:

Perhaps you should have waited till after the British GP :p :

markabilly
6th July 2008, 14:47
For a while he did seem really cool but then he came up with the idea that he's the best out there and now he drives like a fool most of the time trying desperately to show just how good he is....

go on lewy boy.. I'm having a really good time seeing you how you make a fool of yourself...

Yeah, it was shocking. I guess that Kovalainen will let Hamilton to overtake him.

It was a long time a go I was there and what that's how it looks like ... http://www.mclaren.com/

Who thinks that McLaren drivers get the same treatment when even McLaren’s official homepage looks like that :/

Nothing new here---people wonder why FA was so "over-reactive", well the difference is that HK knows whose number 1 and whose number 2

and the Hamster did great today

Daniel
6th July 2008, 14:50

Who was he driving like during practice then? :rolleyes: All drivers have good and bad times. People (you were one if I remember right!) were criticising Massa for not being able to drive properly without TC earlier this year and now he's leading the championship in a 3 way tie despite the fact there was something obviously wrong with his car. You're as one eyed as they come. Perhaps if Arrows comes along you might be capable of binocular vision :laugh:

Good drive during the race for Lewis. Absolutely shocking 'Montoya like' qualifying though.

Big Ben
6th July 2008, 14:57

why? JPM won a race now and then too... but then there were races where he looked like fool...just like Britain´s new hero... the new beckham :laugh:

F1boat
6th July 2008, 15:45
Montoya also has a great British GP victory.

52Paddy
6th July 2008, 18:23
Hamilton has to learn from his mistakes, of course. But, he is still inexperienced in F1 circles. Just because he is a race winner and a championship contender doesn't give him any more experience in the game and I think a lot of people are missing that point. My memories of Montoya are not 100% clear [suppose the motorsport sabbatical did more damage to my memory than I thought :p :] but he was a racer without doubt. I can see Lewis developing the same way. He wants the win, he wants to beat the other guy and won't settle for anything less.

As wedge pointed out, JPM seemed more arrogant. Lewis is a fairly calm and sound character. He knows he's good though and when your at this level in sport [particularly at an early stage] a development of your outlook on yourself can take place. His character development will be interesting to note in the span of his F1 career.

ioan
6th July 2008, 18:27
The difference between JPM and Hamilton is that JPM is a lot more arrogant than Lewis, more hot-headed and lets his heart rule his head.

At least JPM had a head! :rotflmao:
Because cooler than cool and than North Pole Lewy, seems to have his ears attached to a hollow cranium.

ioan
6th July 2008, 18:32

What were you expecting, they favored Lewy over a 2xWDC they aren't going to let a 2nd hand rebuilt driver challenge him! ;)

ioan
6th July 2008, 18:33
As wedge pointed out, JPM seemed more arrogant. Lewis is a fairly calm and sound character.

:rotflmao:

You made my day!

F1boat
6th July 2008, 18:36
To me Lewis is more arrogant than JPM. JPM was more hot-headed, though.

MrJan
6th July 2008, 18:49
What were you expecting, they favored Lewy over a 2xWDC they aren't going to let a 2nd hand rebuilt driver challenge him! ;)

:up:

They favoured Lewis because they'd spent a bit more money on him than Alonso over the years. I'm not sure that they expected Hamilton to be as quick as he was and IMO that's what caused the tension between the two drivers because they both thought they were number 1. Heikki is a good driver but has more to prove than Hamilton and Alonso did, subsequently he gets second driver status. (Seems justified thus far)

As for Heikki I thought that he was also a McLaren protege, he is Finnish ;)

And Lewis less arrogant than JPM :laugh: I think not. Lewis believes that he is the best in the world and deserves everything. JPM was definately more passionate and led by his heart but I think more humble because he didn't have the track record.

ArrowsFA1
6th July 2008, 19:26
No of course not. In fact why does any team employ a second driver. Let's start a campaign for 1 car teams. Bring back Hesketh and Hunt!!

ioan
6th July 2008, 19:39
No of course not. In fact why does any team employ a second driver.

Because their contract with Bernie requires them to field 2 cars at least! ;)

jens
6th July 2008, 20:23
I think Hamilton has more potential than Montoya. While JPM's raw speed is/was very good, then Lewis - arrogant or not - seems simply a more complete driver.

I'm not the right person to rate the level of arrogancy, since I've never met either of them, but to me JPM seems more arrogant. Lewis seems to be smiling more (as much as I have seen), seems to be swearing less ( :p :) and seems not to be hostile towards the rivals in such way as Montoya seemed.

jarrambide
6th July 2008, 21:17
I was a huge Montoya fan (not anymore because I don´t like NASCAR, I´m not as arrogant to think NASCAR is not a great series, stock cars are just not my cup of tea, add to that I´m not a big fan of ovals), but as much as I liked Monty, I have to say Hamilton looks like a much more better driver, Montoya was a racer, Hamilton is a driver, right now I think Monty was more prone to make mistakes, but the guy was entertaining.

jarrambide
6th July 2008, 21:17
I was a huge Montoya fan (not anymore because I don´t like NASCAR, I´m not as arrogant to think NASCAR is not a great series, stock cars are just not my cup of tea, add to that I´m not a big fan of ovals), but as much as I liked Monty, I have to say Hamilton looks like a much more better driver, Montoya was a racer, Hamilton is a driver, right now I think Monty was more prone to make mistakes, but the guy was entertaining.

wedge
6th July 2008, 21:53
At least JPM had a head! :rotflmao:
Because cooler than cool and than North Pole Lewy, seems to have his ears attached to a hollow cranium.

You must be joking!

JPM braked tested a fellow driver in Monaco 2005 and caused a pile up.

Last week he didn't like a Kyle Bush roughing him up and punted him off into a spin.

wedge
6th July 2008, 22:09
And Lewis less arrogant than JPM :laugh: I think not. Lewis believes that he is the best in the world and deserves everything. JPM was definately more passionate and led by his heart but I think more humble because he didn't have the track record.

You clearly didn't see him in Champcars. He makes Lewis look modest in comparison. As much as I admire his driving and unbelievable car control but I hated it whenever he was near a microphone.

If something wasn't going right on the race track he would get Chip Ganassi to berate the officials. I think it was in Chicago 2000 where he managed to black flag a lapped competitor for blocking which was completely wrong because

1. JPM was struggling to lap the guy

and 2. in America there's more onus on the leaders to lap traffic, none of that nonsense of seeing x number of blue flags before penalised.

People were calling him the next Senna and he believed in his own hype ever since, which saddens because he could've gone onto great things.

Ranger
7th July 2008, 02:19
The thing about Hamilton this year:

He's had doses of genious juxtaposed with mediocrity and stupidity. I don't get it! (But at least it's entertaining).

Let's have a look:

Australia: Win
Malaysia: Mediocre, rather
Bahrain: That was pretty silly
Spain: Decent
Monaco: Brilliant
Turkey: Pretty good
Canada: Idiocy
France: Poor
Britain: Brilliant

Like Montoya he seems to be quite inconsistent at the moment, but that's about it.

jso1985
7th July 2008, 03:50
I never understood why Montoya was considered arrogant :confused:

ok he was quite a twat when driving and when giving some words to the press after a bad moment, but at least from all the interviews I saw, he seemed like a quite simple person(that's when he had his head cooled)

52Paddy
7th July 2008, 13:08
It all depends on what people perceive as arrogant to mean. JPM was definitely more hot headed and, in my last post, I said Lewis was more calm. He is, and say what you want ioan. He doesn't come across as a "fisticuffs" type character whereas JPM did.
Lewis, on the other hand, appears to have a high opinion of himself but he has had a big step going from a GP2 champion straight to an F1 title contender. He thinks within himself, he can do anything. But its mostly evidenced by short comments in interviews, "I know I'm extremely quick...etc"

These are two contrasting personalities, not similar really, but tied by different forms of "arrogance". Lewis will never develop a personality like JPM had but, whatever you take arrogance to mean, will depend on how you rate them as similar or not.

For the record, a web definition or arrogance is:

"overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors"

airshifter
7th July 2008, 23:57
I will agree that Lewis is similar at times to JPM, but with a different personality when it comes time to talk about it. Both have incredible car control, have made passes that humble most other F1 drivers, and have also made stupid mistakes.

I will say though that JPM tended to make his stupid mistakes in the heat of the moment while attempting a pass he needed to make stick. It seems Lewis is making mistakes and taking risks when he doesn't really need to do so. The end of last season, the pit lane exit, and at the last GP getting into two racing drivers for the sake of lapping them when there was no need.

I think both had fairly high opinions of their skills, and in all honesty, they should. I think just about anyone would struggle to seem modest after showing such skill on track. Lewis may fall to the same evil that kept JPM from doing better, but if that evil is the heart of a real racer I'll continue to enjoy the show. :)