PDA

View Full Version : British GP at Donington from 2010! CANCELLED!

Pages : [1] 2

christophulus
4th July 2008, 11:37
Just popped up on the live text feed on the BBC website - no details yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7487746.stm

Dave B
4th July 2008, 11:39
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68828

:eek:

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 11:43
Blummin' heck :eek: :eek: :eek:

Giuseppe F1
4th July 2008, 11:45
NNNNooooooo!

Silverstone will likely die a death now and be bulldozed for housing development

Huge loss!!

AndySpeed
4th July 2008, 11:46
Very surprised to hear such an announcement so soon! 2010? They've got a hell of a lot of work to do there.

In many ways I think it will be a shame to see Donington covered in huge areas of asphalt run off, wider track and gravel but it will also be exciting to see how they are going to improve the venue.

Such a short timescale to do it in too, effectively two winters...

AndySpeed
4th July 2008, 11:47
Also has anyone considered access to Donington Park? The A-Road off the M1 is appalling, even on BTCC day and there's the Airport next door too.

And asphalted car parks? Donington hardly has any!

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 11:48
Remember this from 1999:

Brands Hatch recently successfully bid to bring the British Formula One Grand Prix back to its famous race track...The prestigious race was last held at Brands Hatch in 1986, being run more recently at the rival Silverstone circuit which declined to renew its contract with Formula One which runs out in 2001. Formula One will return to Brands Hatch in 2002, but the track first needs to make £20m of improvements to satisfy the demands of modern Formula One racing.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_company_file/511269.stm

It never happened.

Is this latest announcement simply more politics & pressure on Silverstone?

Dave B
4th July 2008, 11:52
Modern F1 cars blasting through the Craner Curves is a wonderful thought, but like Andy I can't help fearing that the character of the circuit will be ruined bringing up to F1 standards.

It had been rumoured for ages, but I'd always suspected that was a ploy to keep Silverstone on their toes. I wasn't expecting this.

Ranger
4th July 2008, 11:53
Tilke's been around Donington lately.

How they'll successfully be able to ruin a good track in less than 2 years is beyond me, especially since MotoGP will be at Donington.

Suppose money can probably do that though.

Mark
4th July 2008, 11:54
OOOOH YESH! This should be good :cool:

I might even be persuaded to make my first ever visit to the British Grand Prix.

AndyRAC
4th July 2008, 12:01
I'd say it's bad for Donington. It will be ruined no doubt by Bernie's mate Tilke. The only changes as far as the track is concerned is the Melbourne Loop.
But what about the Pit, Grandstands, facilities, road access, etc
The MotoGP had an attendence of 90,000 on raceday - what will the F1 race get?

christophulus
4th July 2008, 12:06
Article from 20th June:

As much as the Formula One supremo [Ecclestone] talks up Donington, he knows that the circuit next to East Midlands airport would also have a huge job on its hands to host a Formula One race as early as 2010. The track may need lengthening, a new pit, paddock and media complex would have to be built, along with grandstands and other items that would cost tens of millions of pounds

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article4175951.ece

Not quite sure how they've convinced Bernie that they'll get it ready in two years, I suppose time will tell?

Dave B
4th July 2008, 12:07
As Arrows suggests, and I've suspected, this could just be a ruse to force Silverstone and the BRDC to get their fingers out.

christophulus
4th July 2008, 12:15

Possibly, but the only way the Brands Hatch owners "got out" of hosting the race for 2002 was when they leased Silverstone wasn't it? Seems a bit of a no-brainer if they'll just end up borrowing Silverstone for 2010

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 12:16
Donington Park's owners have vowed to fund a five-year £100 million investment programme into the circuit as part of its new 10-year deal to host the British Grand Prix.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68829

Mark
4th July 2008, 12:18
Road access is a problem, Silverstone had a dual carriageway built directly to its door. Donington has the M1 nearby but is linked to it by a rubbish single carraigeway road.

djparky
4th July 2008, 12:23
Also has anyone considered access to Donington Park? The A-Road off the M1 is appalling, even on BTCC day and there's the Airport next door too.

And asphalted car parks? Donington hardly has any!

oh yeah- it's terrible- haven't been to Donnington in years and one of the reasons is the dreadful access- I still remember the 2 hours it took from M1 to carpark for a BTCC meeting back in the mid 90's. And they have no carparks other than muddy fields

when I went to WSR at Silverstone I just drove straight into the carpark- no problems at all

as for the track- if Tilke gets his hands on it, it will become another boring autodrome- with 5 mile tarmac run off at every corner etc etc

I suspect this is as much to do with the BRDC as anything else and that Government won't invest money in the track- but given Ecclestone's enormous wealth I don't see why he couldn't have done it himself (he'd have got the money back somehow)

I don't think Silverstone will be bulldozed over- they're bidding for Moto GP, they've got WSR, FIA GT's and so on- albeit none of them have the cache of the F1 race

I've been thinking about going to another F1 race- so I'll try and get to Silverstone next year for at least qualifying day- I can't see me ever going to Donnington

BobGarage
4th July 2008, 12:25
great news. silverstone was destroyed when they redeveloped it after 1990. its been a mikey mouse layout since.

roll on donington. i might have to go...

Rallyst3ve
4th July 2008, 12:29
Prefer Donington to Silverstone good move ;) as long as they dont start changing Donington :s

Iain
4th July 2008, 12:32
Prefer Donington to Silverstone good move ;) as long as they dont start changing Donington :s

Of course they will if it all happens. The fast flowing track the drivers love will be no more. I predict hairpins and chicanes galore..........

wedge
4th July 2008, 12:32
The only good thing to come out of it is hopefully they'll knock down the flea market and stick a grandstand and Redgate - hopefully no grandstands inside the Old Hairpin to ruin the view.

I reckon we could see a rotation between the two. I'd be surprised if they turn Donington into an FOM-spec facility in say 5 years.

AndyRAC
4th July 2008, 12:33
Maybe we're all missing the point and the way to hold Top class sport is to follow Bernie's example. We might see Wimbledon being held in Darlington, Cwmbran, Aberdeen - depending on a benefactor building a brand new Tennis centre with 20 new courts and a new Centre court holding 20,000.
Or Test Cricket in the Highlands, at a brand new Test ground holding 85,000 people.
That's what F1 is like; giving events to the highest bidder, no matter what!!

Mark
4th July 2008, 12:35
But to be fair Donington has a longer GP tradition than even Silverstone.

Rallyst3ve
4th July 2008, 12:37
No changes to the track are needed really and hopefully they dont stick grandstands everywhere i agree that would ruin the view just improve existing grandstands and car parks etc ;)

wedge
4th July 2008, 12:39
great news. silverstone was destroyed when they redeveloped it after 1990. its been a mikey mouse layout since.

What's wrong with it? It still retains it's high speed status.

Copse is the new eau-rouge in today's F1 car.

The Maggots-Becketts complex is absolutely awesome. As a spectator you're literally a foot away from the first apex!

Only the final complex resembles a mickey mouse layout but still quite a challenge.

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 12:40
Ah well, Bernie will be happy because he'll get the money wherever the race is held, and Max must be having a chuckle to himself at getting one over on his critics, and BRDC members, Damon Hill & Jackie Stewart.

The timing and the fact this was announced by the FIA and not FOA who normally deal with circuit/race deals suggests there is certainly quite a bit of politics behind this :dozey:

christophulus
4th July 2008, 12:45
I'm a bit disappointed really, Donington is a great track (if a pain to get into) and I can't see how they'll get it up to F1 standards without ruining it.

On the other hand we may see another "Senna-esque" drive from LH if it rains...oh wait, James Allen won't be in a job by then :)

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 12:48
Ah well, Bernie will be happy because he'll get the money wherever the race is held, and Max must be having a chuckle to himself at getting one over on his critics, and BRDC members, Damon Hill & Jackie Stewart.

The timing and the fact this was announced by the FIA and not FOA who normally deal with circuit/race deals suggests there is certainly quite a bit of politics behind this :dozey:

You can see the strings being pulled :D

Don't think this is a ruse as Max says the contract is signed.

Rallyst3ve
4th July 2008, 12:55
christophulus
(if a pain to get into)

Never thought this was a problem didn't seem that hard to get to. Although only time ive been to it is on track days when less busy and did go to watch 96 RAC Rally there and that was good :up:

Somebody
4th July 2008, 12:58
Remember this from 1999:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_company_file/511269.stm

It never happened.

That was the first thing that leapt to mind for me too. I wouldn't bet against it...

GridGirl
4th July 2008, 13:07
I love Donnington but the Donnington as we know will probably never be the same again once they've changed in for f1 standards. :(

What was the whole point of Silverstone finally being given permission to make all the changes? Surely they must have known a Donnington deal was on the cards. And if it was a political move, planning permission for Silverstone has already been granted. Strange one.

BDunnell
4th July 2008, 13:08
Two years seems a very short space of time in which to extend Donington's circuit layout and do all the other work required.

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 13:08
Think I might book the house at the Melbourne Arms for the weekend :D

BDunnell
4th July 2008, 13:09
I love Donnington but the Donnington as we know will probably never be the same again once they've changed in for f1 standards. :(

My view exactly.

Rallyst3ve
4th July 2008, 13:12
What are they planning on doing to Donington track layout???

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 13:12
Two years seems a very short space of time in which to extend Donington's circuit layout and do all the other work required.

I agree.

Road access from the M1 needs to be a dual carriageway, there needs to be a proper Hotel, the pits are on about a 1:3 slope, Grandstands, Toilets, restaurants, track modifications, Paddock all need sorting.

2 years, and £100m isn't enough but we shall see.

Mark
4th July 2008, 13:24
Never thought this was a problem didn't seem that hard to get to. Although only time ive been to it is on track days when less busy and did go to watch 96 RAC Rally there and that was good :up:

You've never sat for 3 hours (yes THREE HOURS) waiting to get into the car park then? :mark:

Rallyst3ve
4th July 2008, 13:39
Mark
You've never sat for 3 hours (yes THREE HOURS) waiting to get into the car park then? :mark:

:s Nah cant say i have wt was that for Moto GP

4th July 2008, 13:42

Only folks who don't know the back-roads do that!

slinkster
4th July 2008, 13:42
I have mixed feelings about this... as my local track, I've spent many days at Donnington over the years so I'll be sad to see it changed and altered. It has such a nice setting and a relaxed vibe, and it always feels to me to be so much closer to the action than in Silverstone where there feels like more of a distance between the racing and the audience... probably because of all the barriers etc. It'll be a shame to lose this at Donnington.

However, it's no doubt a boost that the track needs.

It'll make my regular route to Nottingham absolute hell. Traffic round there is bad enough on touring car/ superbike weekends so I hope a large portion of the money will be spent sorting out facilities and access.

Mark
4th July 2008, 13:44

That's not suitable for F1.

Plus it's too late to build a dual carriageway into the track. Even if the plans were already in place and the draft orders issued, they'd find it tough going to get the project finished by 2010.

Sarah
4th July 2008, 14:01
It does seem strange considering all the work that will have to be done. They've just spoken to some fans at Silverstone on BBC Look East and they were all stunned by the news.

Robinho
4th July 2008, 14:12
i think its great news, providing they don't completley rip the soul out of the donington circuit - i'd hope that from redgate round to the straight would only need a cars width widening and some decent run off - not a massive task, then ditch the loop take the end of the circuit though the current paddock and double hairpin back onto the current start finish straight.

biggest thing that will nedd sorting is the access, but i don't think that will be as difficult to sort as suggested, a ten year deal won't have been signed if there are not some pretty concrete plans in place to solve the access issue

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 14:26
You do wonder if this is really going to happen.

1) There's the precedent of Brands Hatch a while back which seemed to be used as a stick to beat Silverstone with.
2) If a race is going to happen in 2010 there is sooooooooooooo much work to be done to the circuit itself, the facilities and the infrastructure, none of which has been started.
3) If (for example) Brazil can host a GP then Silverstone is certainly fit for purpose now. Donington is not.
4) While getting F1 is good for Donington, is Donington getting F1 good for other events currently hosted by the circuit?
5) Will Donington be changed beyond all recognition by F1 requirements and is that a good thing?

I see Silverstone have now commented (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68831):

Silverstone Circuits Limited and the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) would like to express our disappointment at the announcement released by the FIA today concerning the future of the British Grand Prix," said the statement.
"It is particularly disappointing to receive this information during the course of the British Grand Prix weekend, while we are celebrating 60 years of Silverstone and 80 years of the BRDC.
"The BRDC and Silverstone Circuits Limited are considering our position following in-depth and on-going contract negotiations with FOM. We shall release a statement once the full facts of this announcement have been established with both FOM and the FIA.
"The incredible staff here at Silverstone will continue to make this year's sell-out event a resounding success for the fans."
More to come me-thinks....

Dave B
4th July 2008, 14:36
2) If a race is going to happen in 2010 there is sooooooooooooo much work to be done to the circuit itself, the facilities and the infrastructure, none of which has been started.
I'm pretty sure that Donington hasn't even got planning permission, something which isn't the work of a moment.

As for infrastructure, I've yet to see a motorway junction modified in that timescale, as j23a would certainly require.

markabilly
4th July 2008, 14:53
Brands Hatch is my fav over both, but much like the laquana seca corkscrew, guess not ever for the commercial standards of Bernie and crew

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 15:04
i think its great news,

biggest thing that will nedd sorting is the access, but i don't think that will be as difficult to sort as suggested, a ten year deal won't have been signed if there are not some pretty concrete plans in place to solve the access issue

That's because you're a mercinary tosser :p :

You just want to walk there and get the best seats while we all sit in the traffic :laugh:

I'm going to ring Mr Kumar at the MA to see if he can operate the Minibus :D

4th July 2008, 15:05
Brands Hatch is my fav over both, but much like the laquana seca corkscrew, guess not ever for the commercial standards of Bernie and crew

Well, I'd have gone for Oulton Park.

Now, if only I could remember where I put that £150million in loose change I had in my back pocket.....

AndySpeed
4th July 2008, 15:30
Next they'll be saying the British Grand Prix is going to Snetterton for 2011...

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 15:35
Well, I'd have gone for Oulton Park.

Now, if only I could remember where I put that £150million in loose change I had in my back pocket.....

You can buy 100 F1 cars with that sort of money if Max has his way :D

The more I think about this, the more it seems impossible in the timeframe.

I think it would be dispicable for Max and Bernie to go about announcing contract have been signed etc just to play their silly games against the DRDC. Just goes to show that blood is thicker than water but the Max and Bernie empire is set in concrete :laugh: Won't ioan be upset that they're back in love :D

ray.martin
4th July 2008, 15:58
This is the best news I've heard for a long time - Silverstone is a soulless dump!

I just hope the delay in announcing the venue for the British A1GP isn't connected with a move to Silverstone...

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 16:04
I just hope the delay in announcing the venue for the British A1GP isn't connected with a move to Silverstone...
1) There is no British A1GP, and never has been. A round of that series takes place in Britain.
2) What does any of that have to do with F1?

52Paddy
4th July 2008, 16:46
Initially I saw this a good news but giving it further thought, it sounds like more gossip. As has been mentioned, the time frame that the FIA think they can work within is too small. This may [unlikely] mean that they have not planned a heap of work for the circuit however. I'm anticipating the details of what changes will come about. If Tilke has decided to ditch his fetish for tarmac run offs, maybe they will decide to leave the track in its current layout, more or less. What would have to be changed to comply with F1 rules anyway? I don't see why the track would have to be lengthened. The current layout is fine, unless I'm missing something.

jens
4th July 2008, 16:59
The news are surprising - even so that when I first read it I checked the calendar to see whether it's April 1. :p :

Silverstone has seemingly been under threat for many years, but as the circuit still exists on the calendar, then it already looked like being threatened is a 'normal' situation for Silverstone and never gets critical. But if true, then why the change? I can't see too much reason for that. Silverstone may need some changes, but Donington needs them even more...

truefan72
4th July 2008, 17:22
this is a disgrace!

Bernie needs to leave before he does more damage to brand F1

he went with a private track because he could get more money out of them and found them easier to manipulate.
never mind the track is unsuitable for F1
never mind the grand stands can barely hold 50k people
never mind the access to the track & traffic are a constant point of contention between the local govt. and the organisers
never mind that he's throwing out a historical track, much loved by fans, teams, and drivers
never mind the 18 months he gives along with the £100million investment is barely enough to completely renovate the track into an f1 circuit.

I don't understand how 2 guys (max and Bernie) can wield so much power in a world wide series and at the same time bring to pass such utter rubbish to the complete detriment of the sport and the rest of the world is powerless to do anything about it.

I am actively rooting for a breakaway series right now. At least we will get transparency, a revenue sharing system, decent tracks, and decision not motivated by greed or to the benefit of one particular team.

Rallyst3ve
4th July 2008, 17:55
Nothing will be good in F1 until Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley leave :mad: all they care about is money this and money that go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a new person in charge of the FIA with fresh ideas that will improve F1 and Rallying and yeah F1 shouldnt be run by one person!
Im put off watching F1 by all this politics rubbish...................

Eunos
4th July 2008, 18:49
Next they'll be saying the British Grand Prix is going to Snetterton for 2011...

It would make me laugh more if Bernie said he was Bringing the British GP to Thruxton or Knockhill :p

VkmSpouge
4th July 2008, 19:10
I like Donington but I can't help but wonder what they will have to do it to make it F1 worthy? Will it destroy the character of the track? Also I'm sceptical of whether this will happen, £100 million is a huge sum of money and we know Bernie likes putting pressure on Silverstone.
I honestly don't mind whether F1 takes place at Silverstone or Donington Park, I like both tracks.

THE_LIBERATOR
4th July 2008, 19:21
Donington is in serious need of resurfacing, that could be the one good thing that comes out of it.

Having attended the Moto GP a couple of weeks ago I'm with everyone who is questioning the traffic situation. The one way system in place was insufficent for 90,000.

The Grand Prix car collectin at the circuit gives you chills though.

Iain
4th July 2008, 19:53
This is the best news I've heard for a long time - Silverstone is a soulless dump!

And Donington will become the same........

Donington is in serious need of resurfacing, that could be the one good thing that comes out of it.

It was resurfaced in 2004.

markabilly
4th July 2008, 20:08
this is a disgrace!

Bernie needs to leave before he does more damage to brand F1

he went with a private track because he could get more money out of them and found them easier to manipulate.
never mind the track is unsuitable for F1
never mind the grand stands can barely hold 50k people
never mind the access to the track & traffic are a constant point of contention between the local govt. and the organisers
never mind that he's throwing out a historical track, much loved by fans, teams, and drivers
never mind the 18 months he gives along with the £100million investment is barely enough to completely renovate the track into an f1 circuit.

I don't understand how 2 guys (max and Bernie) can wield so much power in a world wide series and at the same time bring to pass such utter rubbish to the complete detriment of the sport and the rest of the world is powerless to do anything about it.

I am actively rooting for a breakaway series right now. At least we will get transparency, a revenue sharing system, decent tracks, and decision not motivated by greed or to the benefit of one particular team.
ALL of You should just be glad it ain't going to Thailand, Dubai, Mongolia or Tanziania or some where like that....opps did I say Dubai??Well looks like Benie beat me to it--wonder which new race got the old USA date????????

Besides it is all about the TV money. Those crowds just get in the way of the TV and the important stuff like people with those 10k pit passes, sponsors getting wined and whatever. Pretty soon they will start adding digital crowds into the background, and most of the race track will actually all be run against a blue screen backdrop. Look at where the last race for 2009 will be. That should answer the spectator, and access questions that all of you are so worried about (but MaX and benioe ain't worrying at all)

KimCo
4th July 2008, 20:42
Went to Donington on the friday of the MotoGP and there is no way I can see that it will be able to rival Silverstone in 2 years. Large queues for tickets, most of the entrance gates closed, grass car parks, untidy. Walked over the Dunlop bridge to get to the infield and as we went down the steps the gate the other side was chained shut!!! No notice to tell you before you got there. Compared to Jonathan Parkers circuits its a dump.
Some one earlier suggested Snetterton as an alternative, Iv'e seen dafter suggestions, Donington for one.

Iain
4th July 2008, 21:37
With the exception of the new pits, the place is a dump. It looks so old and tired.

FIA
4th July 2008, 22:05
I'm still up for the Penguin GP in Antartica, heard they have more money.

I mean even the royal family don't have money so you can't balme silverstone, but it should at silverstone it was where the first F1 race was.

THE_LIBERATOR
4th July 2008, 22:41
It was resurfaced in 2004.& It needs doing again.

Pedalpusher
4th July 2008, 22:41
So Bernie spends years moaning about the traffic access and parking at Silverstone (which they then get sorted), and he then moves the GP to Donington where the traffic access is bad even for BTCC meetings of less than 30,000 people :laugh:

I remember going to Donington for the BTCC race in the early 90s when 60,000 turned up to see Mansell racing. It took us 2 hours to get into the circuit from the motorway.

Good luck to everyone trying to get in at the 2010 GP. You can guarantee that Bernie won't be coming by car.

fabricator/61
4th July 2008, 23:36
Great news, old pits stay as they are for the lesser formulas, and build new complex on strait from Coppice down to chicane. It is rumoured that Leicestershire council were going to dual carriageway from M1 to airport so an extra mile or two to the circuit won't hurt. Agree carparks will be a problem but laying trakway for a couple of years won't hurt. Silverstone's problem has always been the BRDC inability to raise the funds to upgrade to Bernies liking,perhaps now they might extract their collective digits and do something about it!!!!!!

BDunnell
5th July 2008, 00:04
Can anyone else foresee the moment when it becomes clear to all that it will be impossible to get the work done on time for 2010, thereby giving the perfect opportunity to get rid of the British GP? It may seem outlandish, but...

One thing's for certain — there's no way any public money should go anywhere near any of the Donington improvements.

Tazio
5th July 2008, 00:11
"It is particularly disappointing to receive this information during the course of the British Grand Prix weekend, while we are celebrating 60 years of Silverstone and 80 years of the BRDC
What is up with Bernie anouncing it on the Friday of the race! It's like he's trying to rub their face in it!
And I thought Designer(Ru)Paul was in drag for this race :p :

ioan
5th July 2008, 01:04
Can you lot stop whining for once?!
It's nt like if they moved the GP to Zimbabwe.
This thread is pathetic! :rolleyes:

ShiftingGears
5th July 2008, 02:44

There are a few things within this.

The near impossibility of Donington being ready for a race in 2010.

The Tilke factor. People like Donington because it's totally unlike Tilke circuits. Relatively narrow, undulating, flowing. I doubt it'll stay that way after Tilke.

savage86
5th July 2008, 02:45
Ioan do you even live in the UK? Your flag points to the fact you dont.
This could turn into a total nightmare by 2010, so far they have very few stands just some pathetic ones on the start finish. The road network is shared with east midlands airport and it gets blocked very quickly. One time it took us four hours to get out after a motogp race holding 80,000 people.
I went there for a world superbike race and to my horror they had no big screens anywhere, and bad organisation throughout. I cant see them being ready, especially with how slow things work in the UK, its not like there's a communist goverment pushing it along.
Just a sad day for Silverstone and a potential very bad 2010 for british motorsport.

aryan
5th July 2008, 04:49

Good spotting. Why is it that FIA, as the regulator of the sport, is announcing venues?

There certainly is a fair amount of politics going around there...

aryan
5th July 2008, 04:52
I agree.

Road access from the M1 needs to be a dual carriageway, there needs to be a proper Hotel, the pits are on about a 1:3 slope, Grandstands, Toilets, restaurants, track modifications, Paddock all need sorting.

2 years, and £100m isn't enough but we shall see.

Two years is enough IMO (you should see the speed with which they build metro, hotel and airports in Persian Gulf countries these days), but £100m certainly isn't. Not if they are to erect grand stands, build press facilities, build an access road, asphalt car park, and upgrade the track.

And remember, they said £100m in 5 years, not £100m right away...

This can't be done.

ioan
5th July 2008, 08:16
Ioan do you even live in the UK? Your flag points to the fact you dont.
This could turn into a total nightmare by 2010, so far they have very few stands just some pathetic ones on the start finish. The road network is shared with east midlands airport and it gets blocked very quickly. One time it took us four hours to get out after a motogp race holding 80,000 people.
I went there for a world superbike race and to my horror they had no big screens anywhere, and bad organisation throughout. I cant see them being ready, especially with how slow things work in the UK, its not like there's a communist goverment pushing it along.
Just a sad day for Silverstone and a potential very bad 2010 for british motorsport.

Other countries managed to build circuits from scrap in 1 year, so maybe you super-duper royalists will manage to upgrade one track in 2 years :?:

As for where I live, BTW the flag is of the country where I was born, has nothing to do with the amount of whining you people managed to produce in this thread.

markabilly
5th July 2008, 09:20
A long as the fancy pits and special boxes and other facilities are done for bernie and his elite crew, sponsors and so forth, especially helipads, everything will be fine.

as to the spectators, well let them eat cake...............Zimbabwe? Not this year as talks broke down after enough money could not be floated to bernie's off-shore accounts, something about some elections and executions interfered with it but 2010......

christophulus
5th July 2008, 10:57
I cant see them being ready, especially with how slow things work in the UK, its not like there's a communist goverment pushing it along.

But that's a good thing, anything the government gets near tends to move rather slowly - Wembley, the Olympics.

Someone with several millions of their own money at stake will probably have thought it all through, it'll be pretty expensive/embarrassing not to have it all done on time.

I can understand why they needed to move the race, the BRDC does seem to have been all talk and no action for quite some time. Who knows? Donington may be an enormous success.

wedge
5th July 2008, 11:23

Are the British glad that we have a British GP?

Yes

Is there an alternative to Donington?

Arguably, yes.

And, after all, isn't this a discussion board to air our grievances, whine and therefore debate?

Yes

BDunnell
5th July 2008, 11:53

ioan, you may call it whining, but I call it expressing perfectly valid opinions. It's certainly far from 'pathetic'.

BDunnell
5th July 2008, 12:01
Other countries managed to build circuits from scrap in 1 year, so maybe you super-duper royalists will manage to upgrade one track in 2 years :?:

As for where I live, BTW the flag is of the country where I was born, has nothing to do with the amount of whining you people managed to produce in this thread.

I think the point was being made that you may not understand how these things work in the UK.

Yes, other countries may have been able to create tracks within a year, but in the UK we have strict planning regulations (although moves are afoot to bring in legislation to get big projects through more quickly and avoid long-running public inquiries). Other countries desperate to have a GP circuit may not have as much red tape to wade through, and larger amounts of funding more readily available. The UK's record when it comes to major building projects for sports facilities is pretty woeful. And building a new circuit from scratch is totally different to making extensive revisions to an existing one and its surrounding road network, with all the disruption to other events that would cause.

Valid points, or 'pathetic'?

ioan
5th July 2008, 12:48
Honestly 2 years should be enough to have the paddock revised and the track up to FIA standards. Upgrading the access roads will take more time as it's public property.

However it was clearly stated that they will do the upgrades over 5 years time.

What bothers me with this thread is that people are crying about how this will take time and so on, and forget that the BRDC has been promising upgrades for more than 5 years now. You lot should be happy that Bernie didn't take his toys to Zimbabwe, instead you all whine about the GP being moved from Silverstone to Donington, as if it was your life at stake.

People have no belief in the ability of those running the Donington circuit, why is that?!

I find this attitude pathetic.

Robinho
5th July 2008, 12:52
i think they'll have done the majority of the important work by 2010 - the contact will have been given subject to this, and the investment on Donington could not happen until they had the contract in place - expect things to move very quickly now.

as for access it has several plus points IMO - its closer to a major motorway, it next door to an airport, there is a new railway station and rail link(for the airport) being built at the moment. the only down point to the access is the road from the motorway to the circuit, and thats, what, 5 miles long - not beyond the wit of man to sort in 2 years.

if the investment is in place (which they are leading us to belive it is) the important things will be ready by 2010.

to me the bigger issue is what are they going to do to the track - i'd hope the majority can be retained, just wider and with run off, with a new loop at he end of the lap. oh, and the pits will move - good luck to them for trying something new, Silverstone has no more claim to being home of the British GP than Brands Hatch or Donington IMO, and i can't help thinking it won't be the last time F1 races there next year

Robinho
5th July 2008, 12:54
for the record, in the main i agree with Ioan, its not like Silverstone hasn't had the chances to put its house in order and hasn't done enough to satisfy the man who give the contracts. If Donington do then well done to them, and for me the more important thing is retaining the British GP for a further 10 years from next year.

to me this is a good thing

wedge
5th July 2008, 14:58
People have no belief in the ability of those running the Donington circuit, why is that?!

To be fair to Silverstone they've been open to planning developments.

Donington Park sneaks through the back door, a mysterious shareholder with £100million to spare and lack of openness regards to planning except for the Tilke factor - that's some of the reasons for the scepticism.

markabilly
5th July 2008, 15:28
To be fair to Silverstone they've been open to planning developments.

Donington Park sneaks through the back door, a mysterious shareholder with £100million to spare and lack of openness regards to planning except for the Tilke factor - that's some of the reasons for the scepticism.

Hummm, another Turkey type deal where Bernie or some close friend gets involved???Read the old threads from last year, about Bernie and how he bought out Turkey and was double dealing about that.

Said it last year, the way the USA gets a GP is to sell the track to bernie. Said the same about the Brit GP...

acorn
5th July 2008, 15:55
as there is an airport next door, i can see any planning application going through virtually un challenged. are the council going to worry about a few traffic problems on one (extra?) weekend.... i don't think so or they would have upgraded the roads already. also having seen public money sunk into the expedited road upgrades at silverstone only for them to get the reason for that upgrade taken away will make the council/government wary of spending.

if the moto gp is bad with lots of bikes wanting to get in and out, there will certainly be problems with a more car orientated crowd unless a substancial traffic management scheme is put in place.

i can't see any problems in getting the track and permanent track buildings in place on time and labour cost can be kept low by using our new eastern european friends. i'm sure martin brundle can offer suggestions as to who can do the asphalting of the track and carparks.

i think a renault freebie day would be the closest comparison for crowdsize and on track "action"(with large single seaters) and the associated problems that the track would have seen in recent years.

THE_LIBERATOR
5th July 2008, 15:57
People have no belief in the ability of those running the Donington circuit, why is that?!Because those of us who have attended events at Donington Park have been promised upgraded spectator facilities for years & nothing has been forthcoming. it is indicative of their entire attitude.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th July 2008, 17:25
As far as the track is concerned I hope they don't touch most of it. They can build something new over the Melbourne loop but they must keep Redgate, Craners, Old Hairpin, McLeans and Coppice.

Maybe they could make Redgate tighter then we would have the classic, slow corner - straight - slow corner sequence that makes for good overtaking(Goddards - Pit Sratight- Tighter Redgate). Then you could see two cars going side by side the Craner Curvers into the Old Hairpin. :cool:

wedge
6th July 2008, 12:37
Simon Gillet was on the charm offensive for ITV!

A new infield with Craner-stye curves.

yodasarmpit
6th July 2008, 12:47

I am just now beginning to understand the majority of threads you post, thanks for the insight into your mindset.

SGWilko
6th July 2008, 15:50
Simon Gillet was on the charm offensive for ITV!

Wasn't he just! He confirmed that they did not yet have the £100 funding in place, nor the planning permission.

That's a tall order then!

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 15:57
Wasn't he just! He confirmed that they did not yet have the £100 funding in place, nor the planning permission.

Not if they just need £100. I could give them that. ;)

wedge
6th July 2008, 16:02

He said there was no mystery donor but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say the local authorities knew the score. The only way Donington would seriously upgrade was when their date was confirmed.

It's raised my hopes a bit.

BDunnell
6th July 2008, 16:05
He said there was no mystery donor but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say the local authorities knew the score.

This is all very well, but he can't expect the permission to just be rubber-stamped in such a case, no matter what the potential economic benefits (always overstated) might be. This is especially the case if improving the road network is a stipulation, which it ought to be.

Sarah
6th July 2008, 16:34
I'll try and condense some of what Gillett said to Bob McKenzie in the Daily Express on Saturday if you didn't see it.

There will be some temporary structure grandstands but they will put up a main grandstand which will be in their masterplan announced next week. They want to have a 150,000 crowd.

People can come in by air next door, there is a train link coming into the airport in December. They will have one-way systems. Our car parks will be weather independent. I don't want to cover the place in tarmac. We are in open park and the theme will be Donington Park with the accent on park.

We have planning permission already we didn't start yesterday. It will be ready we will all be watching F1 at the best venue in the best placed spot for it in 2010.

52Paddy
6th July 2008, 17:52
He confirmed that they did not yet have the £100 funding in place, nor the planning permission.

I'll try and condense some of what Gillett said to Bob McKenzie in the Daily Express on Saturday if you didn't see it.

We have planning permission already we didn't start yesterday.

This doesn't quite add up! Is he just messing with our minds, this Gillett chap? :confused:

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 18:09
Hummm, another Turkey type deal where Bernie or some close friend gets involved???Read the old threads from last year, about Bernie and how he bought out Turkey and was double dealing about that.

Said it last year, the way the USA gets a GP is to sell the track to bernie. Said the same about the Brit GP...

Well we know for sure that Indy will never be sold to Bernie. To be honest though, it is no big loss to the states, it is a bigger loss to F1. As for the states, they have replaced the USGP with a much bigger event, the Moto GP event.
As for the British GP, the fans here should think themselves lucky, they even have a race. Be honest, after the fiasco of "trafficgate" they should have lost there GP right there and then. For my part, I am delighted that those wallys at the Drivers Club, have lost the event, they thought they were F1 gifted and had a special right to the GP. Silverstone, good riddance to bad rubbish!

MrJan
6th July 2008, 18:31
If (and that's a big if) it does happen then I wonder what the score will be in where the changes are made?

Redgate and Craner Curves will surely go untouched (there isn't much point in Donnigton if Craner goes). My best guess would be a branch infield around McLeans. It's not wide enough for F1 at the minute though so would imagine that a lot of thee track will be altered and the fans will be put miles from the track. I'm expecting designs to be twisty and tight and we'll end up with a track that nobody likes :(

Rusty Spanner
7th July 2008, 12:01
Simple question.
How can Donnington make a GP financially work with a £100m investment and paying Bernies fees when Silverstone couldn't on a much smaller investment?

Higher ticket prices anyone?

Do Donnington actually ALL the money in place for this? Simon Gillett was less than convincing in his brief ITV interview.

If the investment is over 5 years, then doesn't that mean the facilities are not going to be as they should for the first three years? Not a smart plan. If the first few race are tainted by poor facilities it will take a long time to earn respect and credibility back.

Sarah
7th July 2008, 14:05
Some more from Gillett in the Express today - we are going to raise much of the money with a debenture launch that is part of the reason for a 10 year deal so that we can offer a 10 year debenture. We will build a superb clubhouse for our debenture holders. There is no mystery backer we have a strong 4 man board but we do have a major bank and an investment company with us. We will have phase 1 finished by the time we host the race and will have a permanent grandstand by 2011.

Mark
7th July 2008, 15:47
What's the betting they pay Silverstone to host the race in 2010?

Brown, Jon Brow
7th July 2008, 21:52
I don't know why everyone is poo pooing Donington so much. If Monaco can host a GP then surely Donington could even in its current state. It isn't as bad as people are saying. Was the pit and paddock not just re-developed a few years ago? Maybe not to F1 standards but Silverstone is still far from perfect.

wedge
7th July 2008, 22:18
I don't know why everyone is poo pooing Donington so much. If Monaco can host a GP then surely Donington could even in its current state.

There's no comparison.

Monaco is F1's blue riband event

It's a cosmopolitan area and tax haven for the rich, the race is scheduled around the same time as Cannes film festival so the rich and famous will mingle.

It has history, status and kudos.

Even Steve Parrish and Suzi Perry admit Donington today is medieval for MotoGP standards, lucky to scrape into the MotoGP calender.

Oli_M
7th July 2008, 23:15
In all seriousness, anyone know of a good bookies? I want to go stick £500 on there not being a British Grand Prix at Donnington in 2010. And I'm a student, so £500 is a hell of a lot of money to me.

I just don't see the work being done in time. And that could mean one of two things.... either it stays at Silverstone, or Britain looses its GP.

As Damon Hill said when interviewed on Silverstone TV this weekend, 'the most important thing is that there is a British GP'

52Paddy
8th July 2008, 18:09
As Damon Hill said when interviewed on Silverstone TV this weekend, 'the most important thing is that there is a British GP'

Very true. I think that is what the main talking point should be. As interesting as the Donington discussion is, we must first admit to ourselves that the British GP is in danger. How likely is it to continue? I'm not going to shed my own view as I haven't got full knowledge of the situation yet but it will be something we should follow if the Donington deal does, as predicted by majority, fall apart. Silverstone is better than nothing for the majority of British fans, am I right?

Dave B
8th July 2008, 19:07
Honestly 2 years should be enough to have the paddock revised and the track up to FIA standards. Upgrading the access roads will take more time as it's public property.

However it was clearly stated that they will do the upgrades over 5 years time.

What bothers me with this thread is that people are crying about how this will take time and so on, and forget that the BRDC has been promising upgrades for more than 5 years now. You lot should be happy that Bernie didn't take his toys to Zimbabwe, instead you all whine about the GP being moved from Silverstone to Donington, as if it was your life at stake.

I find this attitude pathetic.

ioan, the article linked below explains more about the planning system in the UK. Sadly it moves at a snail's pace, and I will be amazed if any remotely significant work has been completed in time for the 2010 GP.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20557.html

Dave B
9th July 2008, 12:52
Here's Ted Kravitz opining on the difficulties facing Donington, not least of which is the proximity to East Midlands Airport:
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Ted_Kravitz&id=43306

The Pits!
9th July 2008, 22:34
What's the betting they pay Silverstone to host the race in 2010?
No Bet - JF from Brands did it :)

ArrowsFA1
10th July 2008, 08:04
True :up: Can't say I've ever been a big fan of Silverstone anyway. Yes, I've seen some great races (Int. Trophy 1978 springs to mind) and happy memories (attending the GP with Arrows in 1979) but 1) that was a long time ago and 2) it has always been a dull and featureless place in comparison with the likes of Brands Hatch IMHO.

If, and it's a big if, Donington can be readied in time for 2010 then it should prove to be a great venue for the British GP. With Rosemeyer, Nuvolari and Senna being previous GP winners there the 2010 victor will join some illustrious names :s mokin:

ShiftingGears
10th July 2008, 08:49
Bernie has said that if Donington is not ready for 2010 then theres no Brit GP :\

SGWilko
10th July 2008, 09:00
Bernie has said that if Donington is not ready for 2010 then theres no Brit GP :\

He did an interview on Brit telly after the deal was struck, and I recall him saying something like.....

'If they [Donnington] want to do a business deal with Silverstone, that's up to them'

MAX_THRUST
10th July 2008, 10:40
they talked about a new infield section....anyone seen the track map yet???

10 to 1 it'll be at Silverstone in 2010. Bernie might not be in charge by then anyhow.

Sarah
10th July 2008, 11:26
Ted's comments are very interesting. Surprised to hear of the major problems with the parking and getting out of Silverstone though.

christophulus
10th July 2008, 12:11
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7499078.stm

Minor details about the redevelopment - admittedly it doesn't say a lot but I'm guessing more details aren't far away.

10th July 2008, 12:17
True :up: Can't say I've ever been a big fan of Silverstone anyway. Yes, I've seen some great races (Int. Trophy 1978 springs to mind) and happy memories (attending the GP with Arrows in 1979) but 1) that was a long time ago and 2) it has always been a dull and featureless place in comparison with the likes of Brands Hatch IMHO.

If, and it's a big if, Donington can be readied in time for 2010 then it should prove to be a great venue for the British GP. With Rosemeyer, Nuvolari and Senna being previous GP winners there the 2010 victor will join some illustrious names :s mokin:

Totally agree....except for the Brands Hatch bit.

I remember being there for the 1984 GP, and the tannoy endlessly informing me that I was at "Brands Hatch, home of the British Grand Prix", which was just as well otherwise I'd have had no idea what all those Formula One cars were doing racing around on the asphalt.

ArrowsFA1
10th July 2008, 14:11
Bosses at Donington Park in Leicestershire are planning to build a new pit complex ahead of the British Grand Prix at the circuit from 2010.
Work will begin in the autumn and the new facility will feature a race control centre and a media centre.
Donington Park spokesman David Fern said that a "totally new complex will be built with all of the pits fitted out to the latest specifications". The track will also be lengthened to three miles (4.8km).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7499078.stm

Dave B
10th July 2008, 14:22
Cars abandoned amid airport jams

Severe traffic delays caused by fans travelling to a popular motorsport event have affected passengers using East Midlands Airport.

Police in Leicestershire said motorists were delayed by traffic jams around Castle Donington as a result of the Renault World Series.

Tens of thousands of people attended the annual event.

Traffic on the A453 was at a standstill on Sunday morning as some motorists left their cars to walk to the airport.

An eyewitness said some people with flights to catch were leaving their cars and walking at least a mile to the airport.

Nose-to-tail

"The traffic is nose-to-tail along the whole stretch of the A453 that runs alongside the M1 towards Donington and the airport," said BBC correspondent Anthony Bartram.

Lee Gill of Donington Ventures Leisure, which runs the race venue, said they were working with the police to deal with the traffic problems.

"We have opened up more entry sites into the (race) park this year," he said but added the main infrastructure problem was caused by thousands of cars arriving at the site.

He added the airport had tried to advise passengers to allow more time to get to the airport because of the predicted high volume of car traffic.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6985866.stm

Change the date from 2007 to 2010, and "Renault World Series" to "Formula One", and you'll have a glipse into the future if Donington pull this off.

MAX_THRUST
10th July 2008, 14:30
I do think Mark is right though, it'll end up back at Silverstone. I think all our minds will change once we see the new section of track. AS for problems getting out of the track, does anyone remember Rockingham 2001 CART race. Everyone moaned how long it took to get out of the circuit.

I just sat in the Grandstands and waited till everyone had gone. Had a coffee and wandered around a bit. Next thing you know traffic was gone. Why does everyone leave at the same time? You didn't all get there at the same time!!!

This is Great Britain, we are not sheep but sometimes we act like them.

ArrowsFA1
10th July 2008, 15:44
Why does everyone leave at the same time? You didn't all get there at the same time!!!
:laugh: I'll be thinking about that on my way in and out of Goodwood this weekend.

SGWilko
10th July 2008, 15:48
Why does everyone leave at the same time? You didn't all get there at the same time!!! .

Because humans are like sheep - they all follow each other, clamouring to be the first out.

Take a look at the commuters on a train, the get up out their seats before the train reaches the end of the line. Why not stay seated till the train stops?

Sleeper
10th July 2008, 19:18
Has anyone seen todays Autosport? The map of the track layout and its possible changes was interesting. Basically, a loop will run from the entry to Goddards, almost down to Schwantz and then double back to rejoin at the exit of Goddards, looking a bit like Suzuka's Spoon section (but this time on a hill) and with the pit complex moved to the inside of Starky's streight. A note said that the Esses might be removed as well, so we get a streight from Copice down to the Melbourne hairpin, creating a possible overtaking spot for F1.

I dont know about the rest of you but I like these ideas, they essentially keep the best bits of Donington and remove the micky mouse aspect of the Melbourne loop. The new loop will also proove challenging with a curving bracking zone on a gradient. However, Gillet said that the track doesnt need widening and that the safty facilities (run-offs and barriers) dont need major overhaul, pluswith the traffic he was looking at improving the internal traffic flow of Donington, rather than its access.

Some good and some bad here I think.

ATF
10th July 2008, 20:53
Has anyone seen todays Autosport? The map of the track layout and its possible changes was interesting. Basically, a loop will run from the entry to Goddards, almost down to Schwantz and then double back to rejoin at the exit of Goddards, looking a bit like Suzuka's Spoon section (but this time on a hill) and with the pit complex moved to the inside of Starky's streight. A note said that the Esses might be removed as well, so we get a streight from Copice down to the Melbourne hairpin, creating a possible overtaking spot for F1.

Is the map available online anywhere?

djparky
10th July 2008, 20:54

personally I don't want to spending hours dicking around B roads on the way home from a day's racing- and when last I went there in 2004 for the BTCC that is precisely what I had to do because all the other roads were clogged up- that was for 30,000 people

thank god I never went to the WSR event there

I'm sure Bernie won't like being stuck in the same traffic jam as the plebs when he's forced to land at East Midlands airport and go into the track by car- he'll start moaning pretty damn quickly

wedge
11th July 2008, 00:51

I dont know about the rest of you but I like these ideas, they essentially keep the best bits of Donington and remove the micky mouse aspect of the Melbourne loop. The new loop will also proove challenging with a curving bracking zone on a gradient. However, Gillet said that the track doesnt need widening and that the safty facilities (run-offs and barriers) dont need major overhaul, pluswith the traffic he was looking at improving the internal traffic flow of Donington, rather than its access.

Some good and some bad here I think.

That new loop looks crap on paper but it could be a Turkey T8/Spoon Curve, challenging downhill/uphill curve. Hopefully the run off there won't ruin the infield spectating spot.

For the sake of entertainment I hope they keep the Esses. You could overtake there but if you compromised your speed and lost momentum you could lose the position back into the hairpin - and vice versa from Melbourne to Goddards, I never understood why the GP loop is unpopular for some.

AndyRAC
11th July 2008, 07:37
What's the betting the corners named after Motorcycle racers (i;e Schwantz, Foggy's) will be renamed? I can't see Bernie liking names that are not F1.

ioan
11th July 2008, 10:27
Because humans are like sheep ...

:up:

ShiftingGears
11th July 2008, 11:16
Could anyone fang us a link to a map of the proposed circuit, per chance?

ShiftingGears
11th July 2008, 11:17
I never understood why the GP loop is unpopular for some.

Doesn't flow that well. Always struck me as an unnecessary chicane.

acorn
11th July 2008, 12:49
Hopefully the run off there won't ruin the infield spectating spot.

with the pits and paddock moving to the infield and the creation of the infield loop, i would suspect the majority (if not all) of the spectating areas will be moved to the outside of the track. i don't expect to see the likes of rockingham's main building (which would be great) on a relocated start /finish straight due to the proximity of the airport.

just out of interest, when attending current motorsport events at donington,do you:
a-enter the circuit, park (without a ticket check) then go through a ticket check

b- enter the car parks after a ticket check

Sleeper
11th July 2008, 15:22
That new loop looks crap on paper but it could be a Turkey T8/Spoon Curve, challenging downhill/uphill curve. Hopefully the run off there won't ruin the infield spectating spot.

For the sake of entertainment I hope they keep the Esses. You could overtake there but if you compromised your speed and lost momentum you could lose the position back into the hairpin - and vice versa from Melbourne to Goddards, I never understood why the GP loop is unpopular for some.

Yeah, the loop only looks impressive after you realise that its on a serious gradient. Copice is going to be a quick corner in F1 and the following streight is just too short, I cant see any overtaking into the Foggy Esses or Melbourne either, but if you remove the esses you get a good long run down to one of the tightest hairpins going? The run to Redgate should be pretty quick as well so maybe a chance there to.

wedge
11th July 2008, 15:38
Yeah, the loop only looks impressive after you realise that its on a serious gradient. Copice is going to be a quick corner in F1 and the following streight is just too short, I cant see any overtaking into the Foggy Esses or Melbourne either, but if you remove the esses you get a good long run down to one of the tightest hairpins going? The run to Redgate should be pretty quick as well so maybe a chance there to.

Most overtaking is done under braking.

Melbourne would be good.

Esses - depends on the profile, kerbing. If the entry speed is too quick then you'll struggle for overtaking.

Redgate might be too quick for F1 cars

Starkey straight should be alright. Just hope they don't get rid of the undulations under the Dunlop bridge.

Knock-on
11th July 2008, 16:55

Melbourne would be good.

Esses - depends on the profile, kerbing. If the entry speed is too quick then you'll struggle for overtaking.

Starkey straight should be alright. Just hope they don't get rid of the undulations under the Dunlop bridge.

Melborn is too tight for overtaking. You just plonk your car online and have a slow in and fast out. Practically impossible for a F1 car to overtake. Not so a touring car as you dont mind stuffing it up the inside and a bit of scraping.

Redgate is an option but more likely the start of a move down the hill and up the other side.

Wonder if my membership to the DPRAC means I can use it during GP weekend :D

Guess not :(

Rallyst3ve
11th July 2008, 17:30
I like how they have just spent loads of money rebuilding the current pits and now there gonna rebuild them again :confused: :D

stevie_gerrard
14th July 2008, 00:54
I think its a real shame to lose Silverstone, i really enjoyed that track, i think its one of the more testing tracks, especially in the wet like we saw. Hopefully Donnington will be just as good. The one positive out it all seems to be that at least there will be a GP in britain after 2010, which is good news

Sleeper
14th July 2008, 17:40

Melbourne would be good.

With the current Melbourne loop configeration, were not going to see much overtaking. If the run to Adelaide hairpin at Magny-Course is only just long enough for people to get a run on the car ahead, given that Estoril is going to be of a similar speed to Copice (guess here), Starky's isnt going to be anywhere near long enough unless the Esses are removed.

Knock-on
3rd October 2008, 17:12
Well, they are going to have to get a frigging move on.

Planning permission hasn't been granted yet and is likely to be the end of the year at the earliest.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71096

christophulus
4th October 2008, 12:44
A decision at the end of the year would still give them 18 months or so to get it sorted - certainly not impossible

Sheffieldstag
10th February 2009, 12:37
I am absolutely devastated at the news that tge Dunlop Bridge is going to be pulled down as part of the track changes. The bridge is one of the truly iconic features in British Motorsport and helps make Donington Park what it is today.

Donington to me is a superb single seater, touring car track in its current configuration. What they are planning to do to accommodate F1 may see it turn into a mickey mouse circuit. I hope I am incorrect but I can see Ecclestone pulling the race before the end of its 10 year agreement.

K-Pu
10th February 2009, 13:17
I am absolutely devastated at the news that tge Dunlop Bridge is going to be pulled down as part of the track changes. The bridge is one of the truly iconic features in British Motorsport and helps make Donington Park what it is today.

Donington to me is a superb single seater, touring car track in its current configuration. What they are planning to do to accommodate F1 may see it turn into a mickey mouse circuit. I hope I am incorrect but I can see Ecclestone pulling the race before the end of its 10 year agreement.

Totally agree :up:

wedge
10th February 2009, 13:26

Correct me if I'm wrong but a few weeks ago Simon Gillet said there were plans to move the Dunlop bridge elsewhere.

Dave B
11th February 2009, 10:00
Probably going to stick it on eBay to go towards their alleged massive debt :s

555-04Q2
11th February 2009, 10:42
I think its a real shame to lose Silverstone, i really enjoyed that track, i think its one of the more testing tracks, especially in the wet like we saw. Hopefully Donnington will be just as good. The one positive out it all seems to be that at least there will be a GP in britain after 2010, which is good news

Agreed :up: Silverstone provided some great races over the last few years. I remember Reubens passing over haplf the field in one race a few years back. Great drive on a great track.

Dave B
11th February 2009, 13:37
Things aren't looking good at Donington, if The Telegraph is to be believed. The company has been served with a writ for unpaid rent, and has contractors walking out due to unpaid wages, according to the article. :s

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/4583806/Concerns-grow-for-future-of-British-Grand-Prix-at-Donington-Park.html

And the bad news keeps on coming. Telegraph Sport understands that Gillett has been served a writ by Donington Park founder Tom Wheatcroft over alleged unpaid rent.
Wheatcroft & Son Ltd declined to comment but if the 85-year-old – who was made president of Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd when Gillett's company took on the circuit's lease in 2007 – has lost faith in Gillett, this could be a big blow to Donington's attempt to stage the British GP.
It has also emerged that security firm McKenzie Arnold have pulled their men off the Donington site in a dispute over alleged unpaid fees dating back to August 2008. The news comes just days after it emerged that DVLL had a closing net debt of £66.7 million in their latest accounts filed at Companies House.

Robinho
11th February 2009, 15:47
Whilst Gillett himself states that no accounts have been served to companies house yet, so has no idea where the debt figure has come from.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45084

all seems a bit fishy, either Gillett is in trouble and trying to cover it up, or someone is trying to throw enough mud at the operation until some of it sticks.

as for contractors threatening to walk off site over unpaid bills, show me a construction site where that hasn't happened! and they are "only" security guys, not the actual construction workers, so i can't believe its big bucks being fought over.

leopard
12th February 2009, 09:46
Probably going to stick it on eBay to go towards their alleged massive debt :s

Can't this be categorized as slandering?

Robinho
13th February 2009, 12:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7886964.stm

check out the virtual video lap of the new circuit - i have to say i like it, retains the best of the old circuit and adds something extra

Dave B
13th February 2009, 13:26

check out the virtual video lap of the new circuit - i have to say i like it, retains the best of the old circuit and adds something extra

Which touring car driver "drove the new Donington GP yesterday on an F1 sim on a press day. Had a huge shunt and ended up in the museum", according to his Facebook status? :laugh:

ShiftingGears
13th February 2009, 13:31

Nice layout. However I'm not sure how I will like the increased similarity to every other track in F1, to be honest.

Robinho
13th February 2009, 13:37
Nice layout. However I'm not sure how I will like the increased similarity to every other track in F1, to be honest.

the elevation changes and the fact that its in the middle of established greenery rather than a desert or wasteland (you know who you are Bahrain, Valencia, Turkey, Dubai, China) should be enought to set it apart IMO

Knock-on
13th February 2009, 13:38

http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/misc/doningtonparkplanoct08-lg.jpg

It really does look amazing. I love Donington and think this layout is an ideal choice for a F1 car and driver.

Down the new pit straight on full throttle for an age until braking from 200mph for one of the tightest hairpins in the world. Pelt it down across to the old infield up that bitch of a hill (well, it was in the wet) cresting over the top to another hard left (hope there's no brake failure otherwise they'll end up in the craners) and down the hill into a sharp right onto the old straight. Then you have one of the most challenging sections of track anywhere from Redgate to McLeans. Sharp right and back onto the start / finish.

Looks superb.

Knock-on
13th February 2009, 13:39
Which touring car driver "drove the new Donington GP yesterday on an F1 sim on a press day. Had a huge shunt and ended up in the museum", according to his Facebook status? :laugh:

I haven't been on FB recently but I guess Owy or Tom :D

Knock-on
13th February 2009, 13:41

I'd agree with Rob. Knowing the circuit and what they are proposing, it's going to be awesome.

ArrowsFA1
13th February 2009, 13:46
Looks great :up: Donington always was a great fast flowing circuit and the changes don't really seem to have changed that too much.

Good on 'em. I hope they pull it off.

BDunnell
13th February 2009, 13:47
I like it. Should be good for other formulae as well.

Knock-on
13th February 2009, 13:50
Looks great :up: Donington always was a great fast flowing circuit and the changes don't really seem to have changed that too much.

Good on 'em. I hope they pull it off.

I'm just imagining the changes of force in the new section. First of all having your ass pummled into your seat as you come up the hill, then the negative G as you go over the top and turn (could it be the new PHB) before hurtleing down the other side into a +G right hander into the old start / finish.

They might want to rename the section "The Rollercoaster"!!

:D

wedge
13th February 2009, 14:20
The new downhill left-hander looks interesting. Similar to Pouhon.

MrJan
13th February 2009, 15:34
I like it but not sure how many places allow overtaking, maybe the Melbourne hairpin and the new hairpin in the infield and perhaps the more racey drivers might try something into Redgate.

Dave B
3rd April 2009, 03:22
Oh dear, this doesn't exactly help Donington's cause:

Donington Park has had its circuit licence refused by the Motor Sports Association (MSA), because work to improve the circuit had reduced the run-off area where a new tunnel has been built. A temporary licence was granted to allow the MG Car Club Championships and the Historic Sports Car Club Trophy Races to take place this weekend. The tunnel allows access to the area where the new pits will be built but the circuit inspectors reckon that this has created greater risks than previously.
Full story: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/licence-troubles-at-donington-park/

I'm sure they'll get this sorted, but it's not what they need right now. :\

Mark in Oshawa
4th April 2009, 05:51
All this money..all this redesign to a classic and beautiful circuit so 5 years from now Bernie can tell you it is not sufficient and he is taking the date to Tajikstan......

I like this redesign because they left a lot of the old circuit and feel, but I am of the opinion I wouldn't turn one shovel of dirt until Bernie gave me the contract that tied f1 here for 20 years hell or high water....

ArrowsFA1
23rd April 2009, 14:51
The British Grand Prix's future has been thrown into fresh doubt after Donington Park's owners, Wheatcroft & Son Limited, commenced legal proceedings against the track's operator - Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd - over unpaid rent.
The Wheatcroft family's company is seeking £2.47m in rent arrears and for Donington Ventures Leisure to forfeit its lease on the circuit...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74717

:dozey:

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 15:09
No wonder Bernie hates the British GP so much :(

I am evil Homer
23rd April 2009, 15:11
Jesus....goes from bad to worse.

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 15:21
Jesus....goes from bad to worse.

Winner of the 2009 "understatement of the year award!" ;)

nigelred5
23rd April 2009, 15:21
It's no wonder Bernie has tried to abandon the British GP for so long. Maybe they should hold it in Lesotho or some other remote third world country and just call it the "BRITISH" GP? ;)

veeten
23rd April 2009, 16:27
the worst part is this...

"Bernie Ecclestone has previously insisted that if Donington is not ready to hold the British round of the world championship, the race will be removed from the calendar rather than returning to current venue Silverstone."

so much for the back-up plan. :s

UltimateDanGTR
23rd April 2009, 17:58
you know for a brit bernie really doesnt show it does he?

If he dont get his money and his way, and donnington isnt ready, he just wilfully abandons all of the history and importance of the british gp without second thought.

Mark
23rd April 2009, 20:46
Indeed.

Sonic
23rd April 2009, 22:01
Well that's a surprise. Not. Goodbye british gp.

aryan
24th April 2009, 02:56
Mark my words. SIlverstone 2009 will be the last British GP for a while.

Dave B
24th April 2009, 07:55
I hate to say "I told you so" :s

AndyRAC
24th April 2009, 08:14
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74731

Why the hell should the Government use 'our' money to provide a British GP? We're in a 'credit-crunch' - the money is needed for more worthy things. What planet is he on?

Dave B
24th April 2009, 08:38
Everybody sees the billions spent bailing out the banks, the billions on offer to prop up the car industry, the billions being spent on the 2010 Olympics; and then feels aggrieved when they can't get a comparitively small piece of the pie.

The trouble is that with so many people wanting a small piece of pie, there's just not enough pie to go round. Bernie's correct in a way that the amount of money required to save the BGP is a tiny fraction of the Olympic budget, but the perception of F1 (rightly or wrongly) is that it's a cash-rich sport which is totally undeserving of government support.

We'll have an election in the next year or so and with Labour already less popular than haemorrhoids I can't see them risking the wrath of the public by bailing out Formula One.

So bye bye, British Grand Prix :(

Knock-on
24th April 2009, 10:39
We're fooked :(

SGWilko
24th April 2009, 10:53
Everybody sees the billions spent bailing out the banks, the billions on offer to prop up the car industry, the billions being spent on the 2010 Olympics; and then feels aggrieved when they can't get a comparitively small piece of the pie.

The trouble is that with so many people wanting a small piece of pie, there's just not enough pie to go round. Bernie's correct in a way that the amount of money required to save the BGP is a tiny fraction of the Olympic budget, but the perception of F1 (rightly or wrongly) is that it's a cash-rich sport which is totally undeserving of government support.

We'll have an election in the next year or so and with Labour already less popular than haemorrhoids I can't see them risking the wrath of the public by bailing out Formula One.

So bye bye, British Grand Prix :(

You are quite right (except the Olympics are over here in '12 not '10!) The potential gains from the Olympic legacy go far higher in justifying the support, than would better pits etc at Silverstone.

Dave B
24th April 2009, 11:19
You are quite right (except the Olympics are over here in '12 not '10!) The potential gains from the Olympic legacy go far higher in justifying the support, than would better pits etc at Silverstone.
Can't believe I wrote 2010 :s At least if it was two years earlier we might not have a logo resembling Lisa Simpson playing the skinflute.

markabilly
24th April 2009, 11:24
Funny with the possible new rules, you really do not need pits, just a long, winding strip of asphalt...... and a few grandstand seats

AndyRAC
24th April 2009, 14:12
Funny with the possible new rules, you really do not need pits, just a long, winding strip of asphalt...... and a few grandstand seats

Santa Pod...!! ;)

24th April 2009, 15:48
you know for a brit bernie really doesnt show it does he?

If he dont get his money and his way, and donnington isnt ready, he just wilfully abandons all of the history and importance of the british gp without second thought.

I totally disagree. "Heritage" doesn't pay the bills. "Importance" evidently doesn't equate to good solid cash either so the Grand Prix can't be that important.

If the British GP really was a mega-prize asset then Silverstone wouldn't have lost it as it would have been a huge cash cow. Evidently it isn't...as neither is the French GP and, with due respect, the French GP has a darn sight more 'heritage' than the British GP....or any other GP I could care to mention.

Why should being British mean that Bernie has to make awful economic decisions? Why should a sense of patriotism be a reason to lose money?

Indeed.

So now referring to somebody in that way is not only ok but approved of by the owner of this site? Cool....can you have a word with the moderator who gave me a month long infraction for doing just that? I believe I'm due an apology.

SGWilko
24th April 2009, 16:32
If the British GP really was a mega-prize asset then Silverstone wouldn't have lost it as it would have been a huge cash cow. Evidently it isn't...as neither is the French GP and, with due respect, the French GP has a darn sight more 'heritage' than the British GP....or any other GP I could care to mention.

I see what you are saying, but I don't share your view. ;)

All the new tracks, are they really cash cows? Or can they simply outbid and outbuild the others due to oodles of state/government backed money?

24th April 2009, 17:30
I see what you are saying, but I don't share your view. ;)

Tamburello - That's ok Wilko....I'm in a good mood!

(Aside to a henchman) - Release the hounds.

24th April 2009, 17:36
All the new tracks, are they really cash cows? Or can they simply outbid and outbuild the others due to oodles of state/government backed money?

That's pretty much the same thing if the money turns up in your account, I would say.

The British people and, by reflection of that, the British Government, evidently don't think that the Grand Prix should be state-funded.

That sums up its importance....neither are the people are demanding its funding nor do the government (or any other political party for that matter) see it as a worthwhile thing to plough public money into.

Personally, I'd rather have a state-of-the-art hospital wing built than have the British government pump money into the play-thing of a few fortunate ex-racing drivers.

UltimateDanGTR
24th April 2009, 17:39
you know guys, I think its time we and the teams and drivers all abandon F1, Bernie and the FIA, and create our/their own world championship called: Formula X Grand Prix World Championship. where there is a race on every continent, an actual british gp, the sport is well run and unbiased, no money grabbing tosser as the guy in charge, overtakings galor due to rules, cheap for teams to run etc etc.

I bagsy postion of FXGP-Managment President.

what about you?

Sonic
24th April 2009, 18:09
But dan you said no money grabin tossers in charge :p

Sorry mate, u left yourself wide open to that one:

UltimateDanGTR
24th April 2009, 18:18
ha ha lol. yes I spose I did lead myself into that one......... :D

but I think its a good idea none the less!

Sonic
24th April 2009, 19:11
Seriously tho you are right on. If the british gp is dropped, we the fans should boycot any future f1 races on tv - hit bernie where it hurts.

UltimateDanGTR
24th April 2009, 19:20
yes-FXGP forever!! plus, by taking all his teams away, bernie and the FIA would be left with nothing except some useless race contracts but no cars and drivers to race with! Oh how funny that would be.

Meanwhile the new age of international open wheel raing would be taking shape with a proper organisation, and the fans would be happy to see the perfect formula, as would the teams, as the rules would be a combination of what the teams and fans wanted..........

Sonic
24th April 2009, 19:28
And then we both woke up and realised it was all a beautifil dream

UltimateDanGTR
25th April 2009, 06:39
indeed.........

christophulus
25th April 2009, 08:28
Donington's deal has been extended to 2026

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/04/25/donington-park-has-british-grand-prix-deal-until-2026-claims-government/

Right, I have no idea what's going on now :s Do they have the money or not?

52Paddy
26th April 2009, 00:34
Today's world really does move so quickly. One minute, it seems there will be no British GP and Donington are in financial trouble. The next minute, Donington have a deal to hold the race for the next 17 years! :s

The latter sounds like good news. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet.

I don't know if I'm really bothered by losing the British GP. Ordinarily I would be disappointed by this, shocked even. But because the sport has morphed dramatically over the past few years, I'm just not all that surprised any more. I'm just living with it, pressing on in faith...

SGWilko
27th April 2009, 09:27
Personally, I'd rather have a state-of-the-art hospital wing built than have the British government pump money into the play-thing of a few fortunate ex-racing drivers.

And that is the problem, isn't it. The esteemed (ha, that was good, even for me...) British collection of corrupt individuals - AKA the Government, is still licking its wounds from returning Bernies £1m donation.

Plus, the money being poured into the empty pit that is 2012 Olympics, at least serves to regenerate what is generally known as the 5h!tt!35t part of London.

And yes, there is not enough funding for the rozzers - who are a useless bunch of thugs anyway - and the NHS is haemorraging money to pay for every other feckers treatment from just about anywhere else in the world who choses to enter our Island. Plus, the NHS has become something it was never meant to be.......

So, long story short, what benefit does Joe Public get when his already disproportionately high tax burden is channeled towards a racing circuits facilities.....?

AndyRAC
27th April 2009, 10:30
Today's world really does move so quickly. One minute, it seems there will be no British GP and Donington are in financial trouble. The next minute, Donington have a deal to hold the race for the next 17 years! :s

The latter sounds like good news. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet.

I don't know if I'm really bothered by losing the British GP. Ordinarily I would be disappointed by this, shocked even. But because the sport has morphed dramatically over the past few years, I'm just not all that surprised any more. I'm just living with it, pressing on in faith...

But this years British MotoGP is meant to be under threat. Not good.....

stevie_gerrard
27th April 2009, 11:44
Well, bernie did say on the BBC in the F1 forum on Sunday that if Donington was not ready, there would be no british Grand prix, which is an absolute outrage considering Silverstone is perfectly acceptable a grand prix, and to be honest, produces some classics. What is Bernie's problem with it? apart from the obvious that Silverstone aren't putting in the money to change it. Then again, i don't see what needs changing about Silverstone, it's such an iconic track, no need to fix something that isn't broken. There is no doubt in my mind the government won't step in to help the grand prix out (they are lending all their money to banks at the moment). I really hope Donington is sorted come next year, cause the F1 season just isn't the same without a british grand prix, which has been there since the start of F1.

ArrowsFA1
27th April 2009, 12:35
What is Bernie's problem with it?
Bernie compares Silverstone with the new tracks that emerged in recent years, or more to the point the "facilities" they provide.

Having been in the pits & paddock at Silverstone a couple of years ago, then compared that with what we see on tv in the likes of Bahrain then he does have a point.

Then again Interlagos stays on the calendar year in year out with no word of complaint from Bernie :crazy: :dozey:

christophulus
27th April 2009, 12:41
I'm a bit worried now to be honest. I see rumours around that Bernie's going to buy the circuit or sponsor it or something and I think people are getting a bit complacent.

We all know he's said time and time again that they wouldn't go to Silverstone and yet every year it goes ahead as usual. Is he being serious this time? Are we really going to lose the GP?

ArrowsFA1
28th April 2009, 08:01
Until now, Ecclestone has been adamant that he will never return to Silverstone, which stages this year's race, if Donington is not ready.
However, the billionaire told The Times that he will talk to Silverstone again if the circuit can show that it can upgrade its facilities. “If they were to do what they should have done, and what we've been asking them to do for five years, we'd have to have a look at it,” he said. “We've got nothing against Silverstone.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article6175840.ece

Mark
28th April 2009, 08:26
Oh that's a bit of a change of tune. I'd hate to see Donington pour millions into upgrades and then not even get the Grand Prix!

SGWilko
28th April 2009, 09:23
Oh that's a bit of a change of tune. I'd hate to see Donington pour millions into upgrades and then not even get the Grand Prix!

Money money money.........

.....in a rich man's world!

Does anyone really think Bernie gives a monkey's chuff?

555-04Q2
29th April 2009, 11:36
Then again Interlagos stays on the calendar year in year out with no word of complaint from Bernie :crazy: :dozey:

Yes, but its Interlagos man, Interlagos!!! The fanatical Brazilian fans in the grandstands are worth 2009 spec pit facilities all by themselves ;)

ArrowsFA1
29th April 2009, 11:50
On the 5 May, district councillors may deal a fatal blow to Donington Park chief executive Simon Gillett's hopes of delivering the British Formula 1 Grand Prix to his circuit.
Unless there's a dramatic intervention, planning committee will be asked to vote on a recommendation from officers to rescind the planning permission granted to Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd to re-develop the circuit in time for next season's race.
There are two outstanding issues, both were conditions of the original planning consent and have to be met: Gillett's team, which operates the circuit, has missed a deadline to provide a detailed transportation plan for race days, and it hasn't got the signature of the circuit's owner, Tom Wheatcroft, on the application.
Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2009/04/decision_day_looms_for_doningt.html)

BDunnell
29th April 2009, 20:52

I'm sure that won't happen — because I don't think the upgrades will ever happen. I do wonder whether Gillett assumed that, to some extent, he would be able to get through the ordinary planning process without complete scrutiny because of the perceived benefits of the project. Thankfully, it seems that proper procedures are being followed.

wedge
30th April 2009, 00:06
Well, I kept my fingers crossed but up until now I see Donny's chance of delivering is getting thinner by the day so unless Bernie calls his bluff it was nice having the British GP while it lasted.

christophulus
30th April 2009, 09:02
The British Grand Prix looks likely to be saved with suggestions doing the rounds that Bernie Ecclestone has purchased the promoting rights off Simon Gillett's troubled Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd (DVLL) company – with help from the UK government.

http://www.crash.net/Formula+One/News/146128/1/british_grand_prix_saved.html

Mark
30th April 2009, 09:08
Ah, I think Bernies play is becoming clearer here. He gives the Grand Prix to Donington, who then predictably fail to deliver, Bernie buys the company and thence has the rights to the British GP all to himself.

He then leases the rights back to Silverstone and effectively takes direct control himself. Sneaky.

Dave B
1st May 2009, 08:07
Sneaky... or brilliant?

Haven't we been here before with Brands Hatch? Bernie sells them the rights for a tidy profit, Nicola Foulston can afford a new handbag or million, Octagon nearly bankrupt themselves failing to upgrade the circuit, Bernie buys the rights back at a knockdown price.

In both cases the big winner is one Bernard Charles Ecclestone.

To be honest I couldn't give a flying - so long as the British GP is safe. However I'll not crack open the bubbly until it's properly officially well and truly definately 100% actually factually totally (and I don't just mean a headline on Pisspot or Crash) confirmed. In writing. In blood. Hell, I'll wait until the five lights have gone out before I believe it!

ArrowsFA1
1st May 2009, 08:10
Haven't we been here before with Brands Hatch?...In both cases the big winner is one Bernard Charles Ecclestone.
Exactly.

Mark
1st May 2009, 10:30
It is all seeming rather familiar. 5 years down the line we'll be having the British Grand Prix at Knockhill.

ShiftingGears
1st May 2009, 10:52
It is all seeming rather familiar. 5 years down the line we'll be having the British Grand Prix at Knockhill.

After that it'll be at the Manx TT course.

Knock-on
1st May 2009, 11:18
After that it'll be at the Manx TT course.

Followed by Lydd, Wimbledon Banger Track and my local council estate.

wedge
1st May 2009, 13:58
Well, well, well!!!

Not sure whether to feel sorry for Simon Gillet considering some of the hype built up. Donny desperately needed upgrading anyway :D Dorna will be chuffed.

Dave B
3rd May 2009, 12:28
I want that! :eek:

Dave B
3rd May 2009, 15:32
Now it seems that Donny may have further planning woes:

The would-be promoters of the 2010 British Grand Prix, face a crunch meeting with the local North West Leicestershire council on Tuesday which, if it goes wrong, could mean the end of plans for the race at Donington.

Already squeezed by a £2.5 million law suit from circuit owners the Wheatcroft family, Simon Gillett’s Donington Ventures group must persuade the council to give them more time to get the Wheatcrofts to sign a crucial section 106 spectator safety document, without which the race cannot go ahead.

According to the council leader, speaking in the News of the World today, either Gillett will get an extension until May 31st, or the planning consent will be thrown out and the race plans will be in tatters.

The council leader claims to be optimistic about the chances of the race being saved, but it looks like it will take payment of the outstanding £2.5 million of rent by Tuesday, or proof that it will be paid by May 31st for the council to move forward with granting planning consent.

Full story: http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/three-days-to-save-donington-gp/

Dave B
6th May 2009, 08:00
Further to my previous post, Donny have been given a reprieve and allowed a further month to come up with the necessary documents. A further rumour is that Bernie has lent them the cash to pay their debts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8034172.stm
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090505205127.shtml
http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/donington-given-another-chance/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8034172.stm

Koz
6th May 2009, 08:17
Damn it. Posted in wrong thread. Sorry.

touringscars
6th May 2009, 15:05
I think people should stop being so negative! It seems a great opportunity for a new venue and I'm looking forward to seeing the F1 at Donington Park. I can't wait unitl I can book my tickets!

52Paddy
6th May 2009, 21:04
I think people should stop being so negative!

Realistic, not negative. :)

555-04Q2
7th May 2009, 06:55
Realistic, not negative. :)

Correct :up:

Knock-on
12th May 2009, 11:16
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75265

Bernie may skip the British GP for a year if Donny is delayed :(

555-04Q2
12th May 2009, 11:18
F1 just wouldnt feel like F1 without a British GP. Bernie is a c&*t.

SGWilko
12th May 2009, 11:46
Bernie may skip the British GP for a year if Donny is delayed :(

Why can't Bernie just skip out of F1 altogether?

SGWilko
12th May 2009, 11:46
F1 just wouldnt feel like F1 without a British GP. Bernie is a c&*t.

An old and wrinkly one at that!

52Paddy
12th May 2009, 18:11
An old and wrinkly one at that!

I would normally say "a bit on the vulgar side Wilko," but in this case, thats going easy on the smurf.

Did anyone see the Beeb's interview with Simon Gillett last weekend? He seemed overly confident that Donington would have the race in 2010.

Dave B
18th May 2009, 08:26
Gillett was interviewed on ITV4's BTCC coverage and had nothing new to say beyond the usual: we have 15 months in which to do 9 months' work, and we'll start just as soon as we've finalised the finding, which hopefully shouldn't be too long now. Hopefully.

Oh, he did also intonate that he expects the dispute with the Wheatcroft family to be resolved out-of-court, but couldn't exand on that point as it's an ongoing legal matter.

There was also a rumour (http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090517152907.shtml) that Bernie Ecclestone is set to buy Silverstone, which if true would clearly indicate he intends to run the GP there.

Mark
18th May 2009, 11:48
There was also a rumour (http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090517152907.shtml) that Bernie Ecclestone is set to buy Silverstone, which if true would clearly indicate he intends to run the GP there.

Yep, take the GP away from Silverstone, thus significantly denting it's market value, then buy it.

If this were the stock market he'd be going to jail right now.

Knock-on
18th May 2009, 13:24
Yep, take the GP away from Silverstone, thus significantly denting it's market value, then buy it.

If this were the stock market he'd be going to jail right now.

I think it might still be illegal anyway.

There is something very smelly about the whole Donny / Silverstone business that smacks of double crossing and insider trading.

Mark
5th June 2009, 11:54
Agree totally. I little while back Max drew up a list of tracks which are the core historic circuits where Formula 1 will always visit, Silverstone was one of them as well as Monza and Monaco. That lasted all of about 5 minutes before they went back on it.

Knock-on
5th June 2009, 13:35
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75829

Well, that's one roadblock removed. The legal side is sorted.

Dave B
19th June 2009, 15:25
Even more good news: they've got the block to their planning permission sorted. Building work will recommence on Monday.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76313

Of course, they might just be playing host to Williams and Force India by then, while the bigger boys play down the road at Silverstone :eek:

Dave B
20th June 2009, 12:49
Bernie's just told the BBC that should Donny not be ready, the British GP will return to SIlverstone, a fantastic about-turn! :D

It also backs up what Mosley says here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/06/british_grand_prix_mole.html

yodasarmpit
20th June 2009, 12:51
Bernie's just told the BBC that should Donny not be ready, the British GP will return to SIlverstone, a fantastic about-turn! :D
Yeah, just heard him on BBC.

markabilly
20th June 2009, 12:52
Agree totally. I little while back Max drew up a list of tracks which are the core historic circuits where Formula 1 will always visit, Silverstone was one of them as well as Monza and Monaco. That lasted all of about 5 minutes before they went back on it.

I wonder if Spa and the original Ring were on that list, along with Indy and wherever in canada :confused:

Mark in Oshawa
20th June 2009, 21:21
Gillett was interviewed on ITV4's BTCC coverage and had nothing new to say beyond the usual: we have 15 months in which to do 9 months' work, and we'll start just as soon as we've finalised the finding, which hopefully shouldn't be too long now. Hopefully.

Oh, he did also intonate that he expects the dispute with the Wheatcroft family to be resolved out-of-court, but couldn't exand on that point as it's an ongoing legal matter.

Bernie has only spent the last decade trying to get the track upgraded with someone elses money...while threatening to remove the race every year. Of course he wants it now the money has been spent.

Bernie Ecclestone gets away with things that ought to have put his @ss in jail and yet he wears teflon.

20th June 2009, 22:30
Call me a cynic....but talk of silverstone getting the 2010 F1 Grand Prix would be a good enough reason for them not to sign a FOTA deal.

wedge
21st June 2009, 11:43
That was the first thing that came to mind.

Bernie's 180 turn suggests he's seriously spooked by FOTA.

Dave B
23rd August 2009, 12:39
Bernie has given Donington an ultimatum: prove by September that they have the funding or lose the GP. Put up or shut up, effectively. He's also confirmed that it will return to Silverstone if Donington can't deliver.

"They have got until the end of September to produce a bank guarantee and their contract depends on that. If they don't, it's adios amigos," he told the Sunday Express at Valencia.

"I'm hoping Donington... do all the things they must do. And if they can't, we will come back to Silverstone."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77913

52Paddy
23rd August 2009, 18:36
Now the crap will hit the fan. I feel a little doubtful that this will work out. And if it doesn't, Donington's only high-profile event will be the BTCC then? - what with MotoGP moving to Silverstone.

AndyL
1st September 2009, 13:04
And if it doesn't, Donington's only high-profile event will be the BTCC then? - what with MotoGP moving to Silverstone.

BSB also gets big attendances. More than BTCC at some circuits I'd guess.
Perhaps also an opportunity for Donington to get a WSB race now that they've dropped Brands.

Sonic
8th September 2009, 21:55
When will the guy (Gillett) stop blowing hot air about? Either the tracks going to be ready - in which case say so, or its not - in which case give Silverstone a ring and ensure the future of the British GP!

DexDexter
8th September 2009, 22:03
I'm not an expert on the Silverstone situation, but the word in the media has been for years that the place was never up to the standards of many other tracks? Is it true? I remember reading something about the entry roads or lack of them etc.

52Paddy
8th September 2009, 22:54
I remember reading something about the entry roads or lack of them etc.

I've heard complaints written about people finding entry to the track rather daunting. Maybe its something to do with the road network in the area. But I've never been there myself so I don't speak from experience. The track itself is in fine condition I believe though. I've not heard anything regarding degrading track surfaces or dodgy armco anyway. It should still be fit to run a grand prix. :up:

Robinho
8th September 2009, 23:28
Silverstone entry has been vastly improved - the road network has been upgraded, as have the car parking facilities. this is one area it definately wins over the current Donington park.

yes the track is fine, but the rest of the facilities are a far cry from much of the F1 circus - however the BRDC have agreed to seek outside finding for upgrading and it wouldn't take a huge amoun to bring the buildings, Gradstands and Pits up to a better standard.

i still hope, however, that Donington pulls it off, i think it could be a fantastic facility and a great circuit, so why not, a bit of competition is healthy in my opinion

Dave B
9th September 2009, 08:25
Donny's real access problem is that although it is very near the M1, much of the main access road is single lane. I'm not even sure that it could run as a two lane one way system during the race weekend as it is also used by East Midlands airport who presumably wouldn't be too pleased to lose vehicle access.

I've sat in traffic for an hour trying to leave a touring car race with 20,000 spectators - goodness only knows what it'd be like with four or five times that amount attending a Grand Prix.

New roads could be built, but not in the budget and timescale available.

If the first Donington GP of the modern era goes ahead I believe that while - on track - the event will be a wonderful spectacle, it will be a logistical and organisational disaster.

Silverstone 2011. Mark my words.

christophulus
9th September 2009, 08:51
I thought it was going to be a car-free race with the spectators bussed in? No news about that yet, as expected :s

SGWilko
9th September 2009, 08:55
I remember reading something about the entry roads or lack of them etc.

You could apply that sentence a good proportion of the 'traditional' tracks.

AndyL
9th September 2009, 10:35
The track itself is in fine condition I believe though. I've not heard anything regarding degrading track surfaces or dodgy armco anyway. It should still be fit to run a grand prix. :up:

The one criticism that you sometimes hear of the track is that it gets very greasy when it's wet, possibly due to stuff that falls on it as it's constantly overflown by jets from East Midlands airport. The bike racers comment on it, I can't see it being a problem for F1 cars with tons of downforce though.

Dave B
9th September 2009, 12:26
I thought it was going to be a car-free race with the spectators bussed in? No news about that yet, as expected :s

That was another of their ill-thought out ideas, when they claimed that the M1 services could serve as a park-and-ride. That'll be the carpark which holds - what? - 200 cars.

There was also a suggestion that East Midlands might like to close for the weekend so that F1 fans could use their carpark. So far as I know, the management of the airport are still recovering from laughing so much at that one, when in fact they should be concerned about all the pie in the sky coming from their near-neighbours.

52Paddy
9th September 2009, 12:42
The one criticism that you sometimes hear of the track is that it gets very greasy when it's wet, possibly due to stuff that falls on it as it's constantly overflown by jets from East Midlands airport. The bike racers comment on it, I can't see it being a problem for F1 cars with tons of downforce though.

Silverstone or Donington? I was on about Silverstone.

Knock-on
9th September 2009, 12:52
Don't know about Donny being greasy but I know the wind gets up across the top and gets underneath vehicles.

Looling at the Park and ride idea, it's a good one but unless they can find adequate space and vehicles to ferry people, it will not work. All you have is a business park up the road and nothing much until Melbourne the other way. (Mmmmm Curry ) Don't know where you would park them.

Closing East Midlands. Now THAT is a good one :laugh:

ShiftingGears
9th September 2009, 12:57
Donington gets very greasy. Even when dry Donington's grip level is comparatively poor.

Sonic
9th September 2009, 18:24
Donington gets very greasy. Even when dry Donington's grip level is comparatively poor.

Tis true. It can be extreemly slippy in the wet - to the point that it feels like you are on slicks on some days.

As for getting into the circuit; silvestone wins hands down. The new dual carriageway has made things much easier but personally I never had a problem before then - just need to know the backroads ;)