PDA

View Full Version : Is this Mark Webbers last contract.

DezinerPaul
3rd July 2008, 19:18
It seems as though Red Bull have signed MW for a one year extension on his contract. This guy has been a failure, in as much as he never lived up to expectations. When he leaves F1, wonder how many years it will be, before another ANZAC gets a chance at F1. My guess is that his inability to deliver, will have a real negative effect on any future ANZAC hopefuls, simply because they are not as marketable

jens
3rd July 2008, 19:34
Umm. Mr Bolton had a similar view that Mark Webber is a failure. :p :

(I'm not going to mention anything else at the moment)

---

Oh, actually I am.
I guess your reasoning for describing him as a "failure" has probably something to do with 'statistics'?

yodasarmpit
3rd July 2008, 19:49
Up until this season I would have agreed, I honestly believed he was highly over-rated.
However he has shone this year and I hope to see some improvement again.

DezinerPaul
3rd July 2008, 20:01
Umm. Mr Bolton had a similar view that Mark Webber is a failure. :p :

(I'm not going to mention anything else at the moment)

---

Oh, actually I am.
I guess your reasoning for describing him as a "failure" has probably something to do with 'statistics'?

I said "This guy has been a failure, in as much as he never lived up to expectations." Anybody being honest and objective would agree with that statement. So what is your problem?

Whyzars
3rd July 2008, 20:19
It seems as though Red Bull have signed MW for a one year extension on his contract. This guy has been a failure, in as much as he never lived up to expectations.

Which expectations would they be? Webber is one driver who can be relied on to deliver what his car is capable of with consistency. It may very well be that Webber is lost to F1 but that will not be because of any failure as a driver.

F1 is a two car category, one sometimes, and we shouldn't be so quick to condemn drivers for not winning in second and third string cars that are simply not up to the task.

Personally I think you just wanted to use the acronym ANZAC in a post even though Mark Webber is not a soldier and does not have any link to New Zealand but thats just my humble opinion. An arguably more accurate way to describe a driver from Down Under would be antipodean...

;)

Robinho
3rd July 2008, 20:23
honestly and objectively i disagree with you.

i agree he has not necessarily had the results his reputation suggests he should, but then he has "lucked" out of being in the right seat at the right time, like many drivers before and many more that will come.

maybe if he is/was that good he would have been in a top seat by now, maybe he'll still get a chance a prove a few people wrong.

personally, i think that he is one of the few drivers, who given an above average car, can really punch above his weight, something i think we are seeing to some extent this season - he's probably driving as well as ever and the car is holding together.

fair enough if you don't agree - you're entitled to your opinion, and to be fair you do argue yours, but it doesn't necessarily make it fact

jens
3rd July 2008, 20:29
I said "This guy has been a failure, in as much as he never lived up to expectations." Anybody being honest and objective would agree with that statement. So what is your problem?

Depends, how do you define "failure". If you base the definition on results, then yes 2 podiums is hardly a fantastic achievement. I'm having hard time in trying to recall, what were the exact expectations on him at the start of his career. Did anyone expect him to win a WDC for sure one day? Maybe. Maybe he was expected to achieve at least more than a couple of podiums. Basically Webber has been rated throughout of his career like "a talented driver and if he gets a good car, he might become a serious top contender". The latter has never happened. He has pretty much fulfilled expectations in average cars, but we have never seen, how would he perform in a top car in relation to expectations (surely I've been using that word too much).

About the contract too. I thought Webber will sign a 2-year-deal and commit himself more to the team with the hope of a breakthrough. But what does a 1-year-deal indicate? As the contracts of several drivers will be up after 2009, then Mark wants to keep his options open and maybe still has a hope that finally for 2010 he can get into top team?!

JSH
3rd July 2008, 20:29
My guess is that his inability to deliver, will have a real negative effect on any future ANZAC hopefuls, simply because they are not as marketable

Does this mean you would also "guess" that Nick Heidfeld and Adrian Sutil's also lack of performance would have a negative effect on any other Germans getting into F1?

keysersoze
3rd July 2008, 22:34
DenzingerPaul, your definition of a failure is flawed.

The only driver I rate as clearly better than Webber is Fernando Alonso.

I believe that if Webber was in a Ferrari, he would be as good as both Kimi and Felipe.

If he was in a McLaren, I think he would be even with Lewis, and better than Kova.

Given a BMW to work with, I think Mark could get similar results to Kubica, and be marginally better than Nick.

In a Toyota, I think he'd be even with Jarno (who is driving quite well lately) in qualifying, and superior to the Italian in the races.

Nico, another highly rated driver (FW recently called him "magic"), is about even with Mark, given Rosberg's tendency to occasionally have a lousy qualifying weekend.

LeonBrooke
3rd July 2008, 23:40
Up until this season I would have agreed, I honestly believed he was highly over-rated.
However he has shone this year and I hope to see some improvement again.

I'm the same - I never really rated Webber until recently. Still, I think he's more a Giancarlo than a Fernando.

stevie_gerrard
3rd July 2008, 23:58
I think personally this has been Webbers best season, i havent seen anyone be so consistent so far in the battle of the midpack, hes been scoring the points and thats all you can ask from him surely?? It's not like Heikki who hasnt scored many points recently in a superior car, hes working in a mid pack car and is doing a hell of a better job than team-mate Coulthard despite his 3rd place at Canada. I can see Martk staying around for a few more years yet, sorry to disappoint you.

Rollo
4th July 2008, 00:23
Did anyone expect him to win a WDC for sure one day? Maybe.

I didn't.

I just don't think that Mark Webber has enough mongrel in him to ever win a GP unless it's under circumstances like Alesi did. - 19th Jul 04 (old forums)

I have said this before and it appears as though history may yet prove me right. Mark Webber is simply too "nice" to operate in the world of F1. You might be supremely quick but unless you're also a total *******, no-one in this game is ever going to give you what you want. - 3rd Aug 06 (old forums)

I still don't rate Webber as being worthy enough to win a GP, for the very problem that he is such a nice person. I've seen him in the back of the pits being all cheery and talking to the public and his own engineers, but F1 simply doesn't work that way.

DezinerPaul
4th July 2008, 04:50
Which expectations would they be? Webber is one driver who can be relied on to deliver what his car is capable of with consistency. It may very well be that Webber is lost to F1 but that will not be because of any failure as a driver.

F1 is a two car category, one sometimes, and we shouldn't be so quick to condemn drivers for not winning in second and third string cars that are simply not up to the task.

Personally I think you just wanted to use the acronym ANZAC in a post even though Mark Webber is not a soldier and does not have any link to New Zealand but thats just my humble opinion. An arguably more accurate way to describe a driver from Down Under would be antipodean...

;)

Your understanding of the word ANZAC is not completely correct, yes the term finds it's roots in WW1, yet it is still a common term used in referring to those of the Southern Oceans.
When Mark W went into F1, the hope in Oz was that it would pave the way for other talented drivers, as it is perceived that the only way they can get a seat in F1, was on talent as they are not likely to get the backing of a huge corp, like so many from others do. When Webber drove so well in his first GP at home, expectations were that Oz had arrived and this would open the door for others. This has not been the case, he has made some mistakes and has not shown any signs of brilliance (except for in the wet)
Now he has been placed in the category of solid workman, the time when he was considered a real hopeful has passed him by.

DezinerPaul
4th July 2008, 04:53

I believe that if Webber was in a Ferrari, he would be as good as both Kimi and Felipe.

If he was in a McLaren, I think he would be even with Lewis, and better than Kova.

Given a BMW to work with, I think Mark could get similar results to Kubica, and be marginally better than Nick.

In a Toyota, I think he'd be even with Jarno (who is driving quite well lately) in qualifying, and superior to the Italian in the races.

Nico, another highly rated driver (FW recently called him "magic"), is about even with Mark, given Rosberg's tendency to occasionally have a lousy qualifying weekend.

You know you said the words "I think" way too many times, it matters not what we think, the facts are clear, he has not lived up to the expectations placed on him. Blame it on the car if you wish but he has not delivered.

Marshall
4th July 2008, 05:13
Yeah but how do you define the expectations placed on him? By whom?

I reckon he's doing a pretty good job, especially this season. If he can keep putting in consistent performances like the ones we've seen this season, there is absolutely no reason why this should be Mark's last contract.

DezinerPaul
4th July 2008, 06:27
Yeah but how do you define the expectations placed on him? By whom?

I reckon he's doing a pretty good job, especially this season. If he can keep putting in consistent performances like the ones we've seen this season, there is absolutely no reason why this should be Mark's last contract.

The expectations with the Australian fan base. As I said you can blame it on the car, at the end of the day though, expectations have not been realized.

ShiftingGears
4th July 2008, 06:45
He's a brilliant driver, worthy of a top drive.

aryan
4th July 2008, 07:36

So easy to think anybody being honest and objective should agree with you, isn't it?

Where he stnads right now in dirvers' championship in the machinery that he has, the fact that he and DC have pulled RBR into 4th place, and the number of point scoring races he has enjoyed this year would seriously contradict your statement.

Mark's stock has gone up a lot this year, and he is worthy of every praise he gets.

maxu05
4th July 2008, 07:56
Your understanding of the word ANZAC is not completely correct, yes the term finds it's roots in WW1, yet it is still a common term used in referring to those of the Southern Oceans.
When Mark W went into F1, the hope in Oz was that it would pave the way for other talented drivers, as it is perceived that the only way they can get a seat in F1, was on talent as they are not likely to get the backing of a huge corp, like so many from others do. When Webber drove so well in his first GP at home, expectations were that Oz had arrived and this would open the door for others. This has not been the case, he has made some mistakes and has not shown any signs of brilliance (except for in the wet)
Now he has been placed in the category of solid workman, the time when he was considered a real hopeful has passed him by.

Yes it is correct. ANZAC means Australian and New Zealand Army Corp. I served in the Australian Army for 8 years, and most diggers that I know would be offended to hear the Anzac name applied to anyone other than soldiers of the Australian Defence Force or the New Zealand Defence Force, or the services that support them in conflict or, in peace keeping missions such as The Australian and New Zealand Red Cross etc. To call a sport star an ANZAC is not appropriate IMO. No hard feelings by the way.

ShiftingGears
4th July 2008, 08:01
it is still a common term used in referring to those of the Southern Oceans.

No it is not.

ioan
4th July 2008, 08:30
Does this mean you would also "guess" that Nick Heidfeld and Adrian Sutil's also lack of performance would have a negative effect on any other Germans getting into F1?

Because MS wasn't successful enough to promote the German drivers image?! :D
Or is Vettel doing that bad?! :confused:

As for Sutill he did not damage at all by getting up to 4th while driving a Force India in Monaco! :p :

Point is that the same Nick Heidfeld you sample out for lacking performance has beaten a certain Mark Webber when both were driving for Williams.

Cheers!

BTW, Mark Webber certainly didn't live up to the expectations of his fans, whom were all expecting him to win race already for some time. He is for sure a good and solid performer, like many others.

Dave B
4th July 2008, 08:34
cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxccxcc

Sorry, I just dropped a crumb of toast on the keyboard. I decided to leave the resultant keystrokes in my post, because they're about as logical as anything else DezinerPaul's written so far.

Anyway. Webber. There's an old saying that you make your own luck, and to an extent that's been true. Perhaps he's been poorly advised or managed, but somehow he's always seemed to end up in the wrong car at the wrong time.

The debut 5th place for Minardi arguably did raise expectations to an unrealistic level but let's face it the team were hardly in a position to score regularly - especially as the points only went down to 6th back then.

His time with Williams was a disaster, their relationship with BMW just didn't work but they were in a trough and who knows how Mark would have done had he still been there - the car certainly has some pace.

This year he's put in a string of points finishes, seems to have no real problems with the car, and is currently 8th in the championship. Not bad for a bloke who keeps getting written off.

From personal experience he's also a thoroughly nice bloke, and one who does more than his fair share of charity work.

It makes total sense for Red Bull to extend his contract. With DC leaving, Mark will provide valuable continuity and technical expertise, as well as being a safe pair of hands to entrust with bringing the car home more often than not.

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 08:42
What were the expectations of Webber in your view?

Tumbo
4th July 2008, 08:55
I like the way someone who is obviously not Australian expecting Australians not to find the incorrect usage of ANZAC at best irritating and to some offensive, the usage that you are talking about DezinerPaul is that someone exhibits the spirit of the ANZAC in DIRECT reference to WW1 and primarily what was seen during the battle of Gallipoli and by regiments such as the light horse brigade..........but this of course isn't a history lesson.

I'm not MW fan, for me he's been a second string driver who while worthy of a seat in F1 can only have excuses made for his performances for so long, yes he was unlucky in the timing of his moves to Jag (just on the up then Ford pull the plug) then across to Williams (Jag bought out by red bull and improve whereas Frank's team start the slide) then back to Jag/now RB (new car promising much but it is new car). For me it got irritating hearing the excuses as there are a number of drivers in the field clearly better than him BUT when you look at his performances overall and what he brings to a team in terms of experience, development, setup, race strategy and most importantly positive spin then he is deserving of a seat.

On any measure of performance he clearly ranks above half the drivers in the field atm and he's well older, doesn't have money backing him nor and more importantly did he come into the category at a young age, his learning curve has been better than most. While no he doesn't have a win and JB does at THIS point in time he's well ahead of him in terms of the championship and looks more likely to win on any weekend than honda's golden boy.

MW probably hasn't lived up to Australian expectations (though of course they were exceedingly high given his amazing 1st start - yes thanks to the crash but still 5th in a Minardi is not bad) and the fact that were it not for a faulty merc at le mans he may have ended up in McLaren and actually had a proper opportunity to show what he can do in a top tier car. however, i'm sure he has lived up to the expectations at Red Bull, his time at Jag was considered a success by the team they just couldn't provide a winning car (look back they heaped praise on him, one of the reasons he was able to slip back so smoothly into the RB last yr)................

there rant over lol

ioan
4th July 2008, 08:55
cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxccxcc

Sorry, I just dropped a crumb of toast on the keyboard. I decided to leave the resultant keystrokes in my post, because they're about as logical as anything else DezinerPaul's written so far.

This won't make you look better either. :rolleyes:

Marshall
4th July 2008, 08:58
He's lived up to my expectations. Never expected him to win a championship, but he's a solid midfield driver.

Your expectations are obviously different to mine.

Dave B
4th July 2008, 09:03
Don't care, ioan. I don't post here for the sake of my image.

ioan
4th July 2008, 09:46
Don't care, ioan. I don't post here for the sake of my image.

None of us does, I hope, however Paul isn't offending us, just expressing his negative views about certain teams and drivers.
Why not ignore his threads instead of attacking him?

Dave B
4th July 2008, 09:53
Believe me, I'm not offended by anything posted here by Paul or anybody else. As for ignoring his posts, tempting though it is to put him on my ignore list I do derive some amusement from reading them.

aryan
4th July 2008, 11:01
None of us does, I hope, however Paul isn't offending us, just expressing his negative views about certain teams and drivers.

The problem with his attitude isn't his opinion -- which he is more than welcome to express on a forum like this -- but his holier-than-thou attitude and that he expects everyone to agree with him.

He is not offending, but he is being offended by us not agreeing with him. There lies the issue.

Anyway, back to MW now.

Only if it wasn't for that damned Le Mans race and he would have ended up with a proper McLaren drive...

ioan
4th July 2008, 11:15
Anyway, back to MW now.

Only if it wasn't for that damned Le Mans race and he would have ended up with a proper McLaren drive...

And when you think that it was all Mercedes fault that they cars were becoming airborne.

Whyzars
4th July 2008, 13:09

No, its not actually.

When Mark W went into F1, the hope in Oz was that it would pave the way for other talented drivers

I would disagree with you on this point. Alan Jones blazed the trail previously and many before and since. Young Australian and New Zealand drivers have always perfected their craft in Britain and Europe. They call it a Contiki Tour. :)

Just because a far away country produces one great driver doesn't mean opportunities are then going to come to other drivers who speak the same unique variant of the Queen's English. I'm sure that Mark has helped plenty of people and hasn't restricted himself to a specific nationality or dialect.

When Webber drove so well in his first GP at home, expectations were that Oz had arrived and this would open the door for others.

I try to not have high expectations and thus I avoid disappointments.

As an Australian I was simply happy that an Aussie was driving a Minardi that was owned by an Aussie who made a shedload of money from some old planes he bought. :)

This has not been the case, he has made some mistakes and has not shown any signs of brilliance (except for in the wet)

:crazy:

I would love to be a member of that union. $$$$$ :)

I will go out on a limb and say that if Mark is as good in 2009 as he has been in 2008 then Red Bull won't be the only team he talks to for 2010.

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 14:58
Why anyone would use the term ANZAC to describe anything other than a member of the joint Aus and Kiwi armed forces is beyond me. You might as well refer to Lewis a Squaddie :rolleyes:

(NB, I do not mean to compare ANZACS to Squaddies but the innapropiate use of a military identity to define the origin of a driver :confused: )

It seems that our friend Paul just likes provoking negitive threads about drivers or teams he doesn't like for the sake of arguement. Next it will be that 1 Schumacher fan equates to 10 ANZACs :rolleyes:

Webber is an unlucky driver but when everything holds together, usually punches above his weight.

Is Paul a reincarnation of GW? Who knows, he can be as condescending but Garry was starting to mellow and even posted some thought provoking posts towards the end. Can't say the same about his (alledged) alter-ego.

4th July 2008, 15:12
What were the expectations of Webber in your view?

Miss World finalist?
X factor winner?
Solving a problem like Maria?

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 15:29
Miss World finalist?
X factor winner?
Solving a problem like Maria?

1. Never going to happen
2. May yet happen
3. Hasn't he already been there?

SteveA
4th July 2008, 15:52
No it is not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ANZAC

(ref 3.)

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 16:32
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ANZAC

(ref 3.)

It may say it and it's wrong IMHO.

ANZAC is a member of the Army Corp for NZ and AUS. Always has been.

Proper dictionary

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ANZAC

SteveA
4th July 2008, 16:37
Languages change. Webster should keep up!

Jag_Warrior
4th July 2008, 18:55
Originally Posted by keysersoze http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=499374#post499374)

You know you said the words "I think" way too many times, it matters not what we think, the facts are clear, he has not lived up to the expectations placed on him. Blame it on the car if you wish but he has not delivered.

Yes, keysersoze, it matters not what we think. What matters are these expectations... which are of course, what people think. :confused: :rolleyes:

Yes, the "facts" are clear. Clear as mud...

Tazio
4th July 2008, 19:40
Languages change. Webster should keep up!What image does Oliver's Army portray?
In a split second you saw in your minds eye Elvis Costello. Then,
Civil injustice of the Seventies!
Then, the image of Cromwell :eek: :p :

markabilly
4th July 2008, 20:01
What image does Oliver's Army portray?
In a split second you saw in your minds eye Elvis Costello. Then,
Civil injustice of the Seventies!
Then, the image of Cromwell :eek: :p :

Cromwell? I don't remember him at all in F1....when did he drive?

but I always liked Mark, even if he also did not make much of a mark on F1, he was something of a throw back to when men were men.......but mark my words, mark still has something left, just not ever going to show it with the cars he has been given to drive

cy bais
4th July 2008, 23:25
MW's proved me wrong this year. I always consider him to be talented but whined too much (just my observations). This year he's getting the job done without too much talking or whining for that matter. Pleasantly surprised at his performance so far in 2008.

Cy

Hondo
5th July 2008, 01:05
The expectations with the Australian fan base. As I said you can blame it on the car, at the end of the day though, expectations have not been realized.

Perhaps the Australian fan base failed to meet Webber's expectations by not providing their own team or sponsorship of another team with enough cash to develop a truly top step, competitive car for him.

I like Mark Webber and think that overall he has delivered exactly what his equipment and strategy would allow. Sometimes more. Red Bull seems to think he's a pretty good deal and they are the ones signing the check.

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 03:09
ANZAC has will continue to be a term of solidarity and endearment for those from Oz and NZ, no matter what any of you say. As for what it means regarding Mark being in F1, it appears that there are some Australians that are out of touch with the general thinking, within the Oz racing scene.
In the last 25 years it has been increasingly more difficult to break into F1, it is in part the reason that the standard of drivers in V8 Supercars is so high, many drivers now stay home instead of trying their luck in Europe. To drive at the higher levels require good sponsors and for ANZAC'S it is an uphill struggle, even though they have proved that they can compete at the highest level. The hope when MW finally got into F1, was that Australia had a foot in the door, they had an F1 team and a driver. As it turned out, PS was an absolute waste of space and Mark W did not deliver (blame it on the car if you like), it is however still a case of unmet expectations.

aryan
5th July 2008, 04:37
no matter what any of you say.

See, this is the dismisive attitude I'm talking about.

How much of your life have you spent in Australia or New Zealand Paul?

aryan
5th July 2008, 04:41
Is Paul a reincarnation of GW? Who knows, he can be as condescending but Garry was starting to mellow and even posted some thought provoking posts towards the end.

Yeah... I've also noticed many members join with a an eye towards trolling, but after a while they start contributing rather than flaming. Hope the same holds true for this man.

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 05:03

15 years and 20+ in California

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 05:08

You mean as dismissive as some of the reply's sent my way? The bottom line is I know what I know and am not willing to "mellow to please other" You post what I view as a good post, agree with me or not, I will be the first to say it is a good post. Attack mine with rambling rhetoric, you will be rejected. Take the time to read some of my responses, I am not here to gain "Brownie Points" but will give credit where it is due! As for what people think about my posts, I really don't care!

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 05:13
Yeah... I've also noticed many members join with a an eye towards trolling, but after a while they start contributing rather than flaming. Hope the same holds true for this man.

You mean they start agreeing with you! Well it will not happen here, I am not interested in pleasing you or anybody else. As for trolling, me thinks it is you that is trolling, or trying to get others to agree with you. In future, post something worth saying and I may respond.

Tumbo
5th July 2008, 09:32
ANZAC has will continue to be a term of solidarity and endearment for those from Oz and NZ, no matter what any of you say.

I quite like the way you say you're not a biggot yet shove down the throats of Australians a term that you clearly do NOT understand. The ANZAC spirit is what we refer to ANZACs are our soldiers, get this right and then maybe an open discussion can continue.

As for MW, he's no premier driver, he wasn't expected by those who knew his developing career and followed his results to do anything much in the Minardi because the car wasn't up to matching any of the top 5 teams.

When he moved across to Jag the hope was for podiums, these weren't achieved (combination of driver and car no question but still some stellar performances in an underachieving car), the move to Williams is where we can see disappointment based on what the car should have done. Of course Heidfeld had 1 pole no wins and finished behind in the points only due to his hsoulder injury preventing him from competing at the end of the season.

While on some levels MW has failed to live up to inflated expectations and failed to show what is required to win the WDC, he clearly is the drivers driver (and if required quotes from drivers saying that effect can be found) and a strong asset for any team. End of the day he's in the Red Bull, the team is in 4th, he's outperforming Button, Barrichello, Coulthard, Rosberg, how is he a failure?

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 11:49
I quite like the way you say you're not a biggot yet shove down the throats of Australians a term that you clearly do NOT understand. The ANZAC spirit is what we refer to ANZACs are our soldiers, get this right and then maybe an open discussion can continue.

As for MW, he's no premier driver, he wasn't expected by those who knew his developing career and followed his results to do anything much in the Minardi because the car wasn't up to matching any of the top 5 teams.

When he moved across to Jag the hope was for podiums, these weren't achieved (combination of driver and car no question but still some stellar performances in an underachieving car), the move to Williams is where we can see disappointment based on what the car should have done. Of course Heidfeld had 1 pole no wins and finished behind in the points only due to his hsoulder injury preventing him from competing at the end of the season.

While on some levels MW has failed to live up to inflated expectations and failed to show what is required to win the WDC, he clearly is the drivers driver (and if required quotes from drivers saying that effect can be found) and a strong asset for any team. End of the day he's in the Red Bull, the team is in 4th, he's outperforming Button, Barrichello, Coulthard, Rosberg, how is he a failure?

Still do not agree with your view on ANZAC, mine is not a bigots view(that is just plain silly) You say that real success was not expected of him in Australia, that just is not so. Hope may have not been realistic, they were however very high, when hi signed for Williams, Oz was euphoric, he was being touted as the man to push Michael. At the end of the day, it is a long shot that will see another ANZAC in F1

Tumbo
5th July 2008, 12:30
a long shot to see another in F1.........unless the formula changes it's name in the next decade then that is a huge call. There is plenty of talent in Australia who choose not to go down the F1 route that is for sure, but look at the likes of Will Power who chose to go o/s because open wheel rather than touring car racing is what they prefer, or from over the tasmin Scott Dixon who would show Seabass a thing or two about open wheel success, to write off two nations, one of which has produced 2 WDCs for all time is an enormous call without evidence, and using Webber as the bench mark is more absurd.

yes there were large expectations when he signed for williams but what the media reported and those who didn't follow the formula believed and what the supporters who watched the season and saw the materials that were delieved expected were exceptionally different.

I'm no MW fan, to me he's a second rate driver who is good at giving manu points and helping in development but isn't in the same class as hamilton/raikkonen/massa/kubica/alonso and to a lesser extent heidfeld. having said that the statistics do NOT show his career as a failure and were it not for the le mans incident and mercedes blamming the driver rather than design team he may have shown he could be WDC by staring in the McLaren

ioan
5th July 2008, 12:50

Ever crossed your mind that other may refer to you as ANZAC without asking for your blessing?!
It's not like you are in charge of coming up with the terms other people on Earth use to talk about you. :rolleyes:

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 12:57
Lets get one thing straight, I am not saying that Oz/Kiwi brigade are short on talent, that would just plain silly. What I am saying, is that they will struggle to get the sponsors. We see people from places like India, Japan and Malaysia get a seat, when they have very little talent. There are sponsors that will really stand behind the drivers from their respective countries.
When Mark broke in, with the help of Minardi, it is safe to say, that without that help,he would have not got that start. My guess is that the future for Oz/Kiwi hopefuls will be to the East across the Pacific. NASCAR and IRL is a much better draw.

Tumbo
5th July 2008, 13:02
i'm just going to keep my mouth away from the bait and stick to the MW topic; it's clear there is a divergence of opinion here that will not be rectified so we can move on, my real gripe is w/ the manner in which it is 'explained' to us about the use of this term, there are plenty of terms Australians use in reference to other nationalities which are incorrect and can be deemed offensive, should we turn around and say when this is pointed out that we can call them what we like? I'd rather know to change my usage................but we can agree to disagree

Tumbo
5th July 2008, 13:04
I would agree that Australians and NZs will struggle to get sponsership, but that doesn't really have much to do w/ MW. We have always struggled due to the nature of our economy, remoteness and most importantly small impact on global markets. while MW becoming WDC may have changed that i don't think it would have had a major influence, i'd say MW has been a success in F1 showing what staying power can achieve, and given when he was there in the Schumacher era his chances of a title were remote and fighting for one remoter still w/ the teams he has come onboard w/.

Totally agree w/ your points above tho

Robinho
5th July 2008, 13:05
You mean they start agreeing with you! Well it will not happen here, I am not interested in pleasing you or anybody else. As for trolling, me thinks it is you that is trolling, or trying to get others to agree with you. In future, post something worth saying and I may respond.

for what its worth, there is no requirement for you to agree with anyone here, and you are welcome to express your opinion, especially if it is a knowledgable and reasoned one, even if not all agree with it.

however, you do not have the right (nor does anyone else) to "reject" anyones opinion, or peddle opinions as facts.

if you see things differently, great, if you want to argue/discuss with these people, great, you may even change somones opinion with a decent arguement, but you will also have to learn to agree to disagree, rather than tell people they are flat out wrong.

this is something that some people here do struggle with, but others, who i often don't agree with, i respect for their ability to do.

none of us are right all the time, especially with something as subjective as sport, and F1 specifically.

on this occaision i don't agree with your view of Webber, i do think he has had high expectations on him, and not always delivered results, however, when givem the opportunity he has always shown enough to keep that expectation burning and this year i think he is taking the opportunity with both hand, and i expect him to still land a decent drive and win a few races at the least (an opinion i also have of Jenson Button, but thats a whole other show)

Robinho
5th July 2008, 13:54
apparently Mark Webber would like to comment on this thread, but he's a bit busy sticking the red bull on the front row of the grid ;)

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 13:55
apparently Mark Webber would like to comment on this thread, but he's a bit busy sticking the red bull on the front row of the grid ;)

and at days end, it would mean nothing,

ShiftingGears
5th July 2008, 13:55

Sh!t yeah :D :D

yodasarmpit
5th July 2008, 13:56
?

Robinho
5th July 2008, 14:11

why, it was a great performance, yes its only qualifying, but its all counts towards a race weekend. i'd say he's exceeded the expectation for a qualifying position for a Red Bull, you can't just discount anything he does that is good to support a view that he has not done as well as expected.

Tazio
5th July 2008, 14:19
why, it was a great performance, yes its only qualifying, but its all counts towards a race weekend. i'd say he's exceeded the expectation for a qualifying position for a Red Bull, you can't just discount anything he does that is good to support a view that he has not done as well as expected.Give it up! Even a race win wouldn't change Designer Paul's opinnion!

maxu05
5th July 2008, 14:20
Go MW, stick it to em :up:

maxu05
5th July 2008, 14:25
Designer, Fabricator are all in the same industry are they not :)
Go MW, give em some stick :up:

Robinho
5th July 2008, 14:29
Give it up! Even a race win wouldn't change Designer Paul's opinnion!

which is fair enough, i wouldn't expect someone to completley change their opinion of someone, its the disregard of other opinions or arguements to back up their thoughts which mystifes.

veeten
5th July 2008, 14:36
Webber is living up to his capabilities, and it seems that Red Bull has brought the car up with him.

Vettel is looking more the replacement, with his performance today, for the retiring Coulthard.

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 15:06
why, it was a great performance, yes its only qualifying, but its all counts towards a race weekend. i'd say he's exceeded the expectation for a qualifying position for a Red Bull, you can't just discount anything he does that is good to support a view that he has not done as well as expected.

You are talking about a race weekend, I am talking about an entire career.

Tazio
5th July 2008, 15:08
You are talking about a race weekend, I am talking about an entire career.Which would include every race untill he retires!

Daniel
5th July 2008, 15:34
DezinerPaul is a great guy. I'll continue to read his posts to see what not to think.

markabilly
5th July 2008, 16:07
may be webber's race....he does not seem to be real light as his gap between q2 and q3 was about the same as the top four.

If anything, it is HK who might be light, as his gap is much smaller.

Whyzars
5th July 2008, 17:56
ANZAC has will continue to be a term of solidarity and endearment for those from Oz and NZ, no matter what any of you say.

It is a term of solidarity and endearment but we don't say it, we just know it. We also know from our friends in New Zealand why we should all wear gum boots when we make love to a sheep but that story is for another forum.

ANZAC is a word that should be used sparingly and with respect as there are a great many sadnesses attached to it. I would ask that you refrain from continuing to refer to Australian's and New Zealander's as ANZAC's as we don't refer to ourselves using this word and it would be a very sad day if ever ANZAC became "common" in its use.

Maybe the term you're looking for is 'digger' or 'mate' - or 'matey' if you're from the Territory. You could also try 'Bluey' in a pinch although the carrot toppers have always owned that one. You can call us any of these and we won't mind. We might grind our teeth down to our gums but we won't mind. :)

As for what it means regarding Mark being in F1, it appears that there are some Australians that are out of touch with the general thinking, within the Oz racing scene.

Anyone in the "Oz racing scene" who doesn't take pride in Mark's success and wish him every good fortune must be an ****hole.

Just my humble opinion of course... :)

In the last 25 years it has been increasingly more difficult to break into F1, it is in part the reason that the standard of drivers in V8 Supercars is so high, many drivers now stay home instead of trying their luck in Europe. To drive at the higher levels require good sponsors and for AUSTRALIANS it is an uphill struggle, even though they have proved that they can compete at the highest level.

Are you including Alan Jones in this as its around 25 years since AJ's last race? Heck, let's drag Sir Jack Brabham's name into this as well. Why doesn't old Jack dust off the team and hire all the out of work Australian race car driver's. :p

You are correct that there are talented drivers in Australia but it is difficult to gauge their ability against drivers from Europe or the U.S..

There has never really been a time in Australia that drivers could live off the income from driving alone. The V8 Supercar series has provided enough money to make professional driving viable and so drivers have not felt the need to go overseas. I fear that the days of the V8's may be numbered however from falling vehicle sales seeing sponsors dropping out.

They'll be calling the replacement series the Prius Supercar Series and we will watch the cars buzz and humm away from the start line. :s

The hope when MW finally got into F1, was that Australia had a foot in the door, they had an F1 team and a driver. As it turned out, PS was an absolute waste of space and Mark W did not deliver (blame it on the car if you like), it is however still a case of unmet expectations.

Now you're just being silly. In my opinion Paul Stoddard and Mark Webber owe nobody nuffin' and the Australian foot was already firmly in the F1 door when they came along through Sir Jack and Alan Jones.

F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. That so few have climbed to those heights is what makes it so special. I think its easy for us to forget how hard every driver has worked to achieve, and keep, their F1 seat.

What Mark has proved is that F1 recognises talent above all else. Mark had an opportunity with Minardi and he grabbed it by the scruff of the neck. Most drivers don't get that chance or get the chance and blow it. The road to F1 is littered with many, many brilliant drivers who never got the chance to drive a lowly Minardi.

BTW, did you happen to catch that Mark Webber character failing to get poll? Red Bull should dock him a day's pay... ;)

DezinerPaul
5th July 2008, 18:26
It is a term of solidarity and endearment but we don't say it, we just know it. We also know from our friends in New Zealand why we should all wear gum boots when we make love to a sheep but that story is for another forum.

ANZAC is a word that should be used sparingly and with respect as there are a great many sadnesses attached to it. I would ask that you refrain from continuing to refer to Australian's and New Zealander's as ANZAC's as we don't refer to ourselves using this word and it would be a very sad day if ever ANZAC became "common" in its use.

Maybe the term you're looking for is 'digger' or 'mate' - or 'matey' if you're from the Territory. You could also try 'Bluey' in a pinch although the carrot toppers have always owned that one. You can call us any of these and we won't mind. We might grind our teeth down to our gums but we won't mind. :)

Anyone in the "Oz racing scene" who doesn't take pride in Mark's success and wish him every good fortune must be an ****hole.

Just my humble opinion of course... :)

Are you including Alan Jones in this as its around 25 years since AJ's last race? Heck, let's drag Sir Jack Brabham's name into this as well. Why doesn't old Jack dust off the team and hire all the out of work Australian race car driver's. :p

You are correct that there are talented drivers in Australia but it is difficult to gauge their ability against drivers from Europe or the U.S..

There has never really been a time in Australia that drivers could live off the income from driving alone. The V8 Supercar series has provided enough money to make professional driving viable and so drivers have not felt the need to go overseas. I fear that the days of the V8's may be numbered however from falling vehicle sales seeing sponsors dropping out.

They'll be calling the replacement series the Prius Supercar Series and we will watch the cars buzz and humm away from the start line. :s

Now you're just being silly. In my opinion Paul Stoddard and Mark Webber owe nobody nuffin' and the Australian foot was already firmly in the F1 door when they came along through Sir Jack and Alan Jones.

F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. That so few have climbed to those heights is what makes it so special. I think its easy for us to forget how hard every driver has worked to achieve, and keep, their F1 seat.

What Mark has proved is that F1 recognises talent above all else. Mark had an opportunity with Minardi and he grabbed it by the scruff of the neck. Most drivers don't get that chance or get the chance and blow it. The road to F1 is littered with many, many brilliant drivers who never got the chance to drive a lowly Minardi.

BTW, did you happen to catch that Mark Webber character failing to get poll? Red Bull should dock him a day's pay... ;)

What in the blue moon do Sir Jack and Jones have to do with here and now. The point was and is that Australians are not marketable in Europe, while in the States they are. It therefore makes sense for the drivers to try and break in in the States. To that end, I hear that a second Aussie has signed to do a limited run in in NASCAR, I imagine it will be the Nationwide, even so, he is the second of what could be many!

aryan
5th July 2008, 18:33
DezinerPaul is a great guy. I'll continue to read his posts to see what not to think.

:rotflmao:

aryan
5th July 2008, 18:37
20+ in California

Yes, that is clearly valid to the subject at hand. :dozey:

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 00:31
Ever crossed your mind that other may refer to you as ANZAC without asking for your blessing?!
It's not like you are in charge of coming up with the terms other people on Earth use to talk about you. :rolleyes:

ioan, please try not to be argumentative if, in the process, you show your ignorance in public. Tumbo is correct about the term ANZACs and if you only bothered to look it up in google before you put your foot in your mouth, (again :rolleues: ), you might post more positively. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Day

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 00:34
ANZAC has will continue to be a term of solidarity and endearment for those from Oz and NZ, no matter what any of you say. .

Please, as with ioahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Dayn, try not to display your ignorance in public.

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 00:35
Designer, Fabricator are all in the same industry are they not :)

Something to do with bovine organic waste.

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 01:58
Wonder of he will end up in the points

gloomyDAY
6th July 2008, 01:59

http://www.businessinnovationinsider.com/images/2006/02/Troll.jpg (http://www.businessinnovationinsider.com/images/2006/02/Troll.jpg)

Tazio
6th July 2008, 02:02
If you don't think so, we could turn it into a sig bet! What say ye?

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 02:37
If you don't think so, we could turn it into a sig bet! What say ye?

Make it podiums and you are on!

Tazio
6th July 2008, 02:42
Nice!!!!! But No dice!

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 02:51
Nice!!!!! But No dice!

The question was will he finish in the points, while the bet is that he will not podium! Any MW fans want to take the sig bet, I am in!

Ari
6th July 2008, 03:43
Sucks to create a Webber bashing thread and then have him bolt the RBR on the front row only a couple days later when DC places it in 11th! ;)

Btw.... a good measure of whether a driver is any good is to compare them to their teammate who is driving the same equipment. In races completed, the following table shows how Webber has done vs his team mate since 2000 (current october 2007).

http://www.users.on.net/~washing/misc/driverfinishingstats.png

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 04:10

I'll back against bunsen - you game??

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 04:17
Sucks to create a Webber bashing thread and then have him bolt the RBR on the front row only a couple days later when DC places it in 11th! ;)

Btw.... a good measure of whether a driver is any good is to compare them to their teammate who is driving the same equipment. In races completed, the following table shows how Webber has done vs his team mate since 2000 (current october 2007).

http://www.users.on.net/%7Ewashing/misc/driverfinishingstats.png

A perfect example of stacked stats being used to make a point. One could could pick a million holes with "your stats" However, if you want those stats to be credible, I have one simple request, please furnish the same stat for all races started, not just those finished.

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 04:22
I'll back against bunsen - you game??
Are you kidding, even Jenson would not pick himself. How about Massa, he is starting 7 spots behind MW?

ShiftingGears
6th July 2008, 04:41
A perfect example of stacked stats being used to make a point.

:laugh:

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 04:49
Are you kidding, even Jenson would not pick himself. How about Massa, he is starting 7 spots behind MW?

You're on!! Don't forget - you or I wear the sig until the next GP.

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 05:06
I am cool with that, one point, nothing derogatory to any members on the site!
You're on!! Don't forget - you or I wear the sig until the next GP.

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 05:40
read my sig!!

MadDan
6th July 2008, 06:03
as good as mark is going
one aussie is going better in f1 Chris Dwyer

DezinerPaul
6th July 2008, 06:55
read my sig!!

Fair enough, I have made a sig, just for you!

Valve Bounce
6th July 2008, 08:30
Get real!! you won't get the chance. :)

Azumanga Davo
6th July 2008, 11:21
:laugh:

I know, the guy's roundabout thinking behind stats is amazing.

PSfan
6th July 2008, 16:46

http://www.users.on.net/~washing/misc/driverfinishingstats.png

Hey, thanks for re-posting this... I get to dig up my response and correct my typo's :)

Ok, I just went over spent a bit o time on F1-facts.com... I came up with Webber having 30-5 advantage, to the end of this season. However, I did notice after the fact that at least 2 races Webbers team-mates may have been classified, but probably didn't finish the race (One race Heidfeld was classified 4 laps down, which sounds odd for a Williams unless it had suffered some form of trauma. And Pizzonia was also Classified but also had suffered a collision so probably dnf'd as well... which would put my calculations at 28-5 which is still pretty good until you consider that with the exception of Heidfeld and Coulthard ALL of the other drivers racing with Webber where essentially rookies. Yoong has a grand total of 18 races under his belt, Wilson 16, Pizzonia in his shortened season with Jaguar and fill in at Williams a grand total of 20. It was Kliens first season, Rosberg's as well... So lets all stand up and applaud the great Webber for beating so many rookies!!!

Oh and thumbs up after all the well wishing sent towards Valve lately, you pull out these statistics that suggest his favorite driver is the crappiest :p :

jens
6th July 2008, 19:53
Didn't have the opportunity to comment qualifying, but Mark's quali performance was truly exceptional and surprising. "Qualifier of the day" yesterday.

Before today's race, when it was clear it was going to be a wet race, I even thought that Mark may have a chance to win, but happened the reverse, which reminded his fate years ago, when after starting from a very good position he binned it on Lap1 (like Malaysia'04 for example). Webber has recently proved to be quite a reliable and errorfree driver, so it was odd to see him going back to his 'old self'. 4 spins or what? Anyway, everyone has his lows. ;) But a shame he starting messing it up, when he had a chance of getting a better result than just points - for example podium.

ShiftingGears
7th July 2008, 01:24
Do Red Bull have a strategist?

He was going excellently to catch up to everyone in the first stint after his spin, and then kept the tyres on at the pits when it started raining harder. What were they thinking, firstly keeping them on, secondly not changing to full wets after it was obvious that they weren't going anywhere on inters
?

Incredible.

MadDan
7th July 2008, 01:36
i can only think they may have thought that the rain would not come and the track would dry out and we do not know what set up mark had in the test last week :blackeye:

markabilly
7th July 2008, 01:45
Do Red Bull have a strategist?

He was going excellently to catch up to everyone in the first stint after his spin, and then kept the tyres on at the pits when it started raining harder. What were they thinking, firstly keeping them on, secondly not changing to full wets after it was obvious that they weren't going anywhere on inters
?

Incredible.