PDA

View Full Version : For goodness sake!!!

ArrowsFA1
3rd July 2008, 11:34
When are we going to hear drivers say something other than "I am sure we will be competitive in the race...But we must never underestimate our competitors..." before every race weekend.

This isn't a criticism of any one driver because they, or rather their teams PR press releases, are all guilty of the same thing.

Bland, scripted comments :down: Hate 'em :mad:

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 11:48
Blame the corporate structure of F1 where drivers are given media coaching and put under great pressure by their sponsors to say the right things.

I often used to interview touring car drivers in the presence of the team's official media people. We'd both hear the same words, we'd both record them, but it was amazing how certain teams managed to turn phrases like "the car was all over the place" into "we're working hard on maximising our handling" when the offical press releases were written up!

Valve Bounce
3rd July 2008, 11:54
When are we going to hear drivers say something other than "I am sure we will be competitive in the race...But we must never underestimate our competitors..." before every race weekend.

This isn't a criticism of any one driver because they, or rather their teams PR press releases, are all guilty of the same thing.

I don't remember the drivers from Super Aguri ever saying anything like that. :rolleyes: Shame on you for tarring them with the same brush. :p :

ArrowsFA1
3rd July 2008, 12:04
I don't remember the drivers from Super Aguri ever saying anything like that. :rolleyes: Shame on you for tarring them with the same brush. :p :
:laugh:

After Sato's strong showing in the 2007 Canadian Grand Prix Daniel Audetto did say (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59685) "next year we are going to win our first Grand Prix". That's the kind of ambitious prediction we need more often :D

3rd July 2008, 12:52

The problem, for me, started the day Alain Prost was sacked by Ferrari for telling the truth.

I do remember Keke Rosberg, when he was asked his prediction for the 82 British GP, saying that he hoped it would be "dry & sunny".

But I do think we both have to be careful before going on about 'the good old days' because then we'd start to sound like Nigel Roebuck.

wedge
3rd July 2008, 13:11
Race previews are generally dull.

Most teams have the same the targets across the whole year (not successive years) because cars generally don't change in great leaps and bounds. For example, this year: BMW - target to win race; McLaren/Ferrari - win races and titles; Toyota/RBR/Renault/Williams - points finish, 4th in constructors.

If you come across as modest you're bland, if you say you're going to destroy the opposition you come across as arrogant.

The juicy part is what happens during/after the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv73fN8eJTU

ArrowsFA1
3rd July 2008, 13:18
I do remember Keke Rosberg, when he was asked his prediction for the 82 British GP, saying that he hoped it would be "dry & sunny".
I remember that :laugh: There's a good "Lunch with..." interview with Keke in this month's Motor Sport (http://www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk/).

BDunnell
3rd July 2008, 13:59
If you come across as modest you're bland, if you say you're going to destroy the opposition you come across as arrogant.

And you get castigated one way or the other. There are ways, I think, of being outspoken and interesting without coming across as a boorish prat. Eddie Irvine ought to take note from the likes of Martin Brundle and John Watson on this score, but that's just my opinion.

It's the same in all walks of life, of course. Many politicians are always criticised for being boring and equivocal, and quite rightly, but if they really spoke their minds all the time sections of the media would come down on them like a ton of bricks and their comments would be classed as 'gaffes'. You see this with the way F1 drivers are criticised on these forums, sometimes by people who have been known to moan about 'political correctness' - when a driver they don't like says something a bit outspoken, the advice is often for them to shut up.

Couple all of these tendencies towards blandness with the increasing use of low-grade management speak, and it really is a pernicious influence on language and public comment.

markabilly
3rd July 2008, 15:48
Not always: right before Silverstone we have:
HK:
“ I want to beat Lewis but, you know, he wants to beat me and together when we're on the track we push each other forward. He's very good – but not quite as good as me.”

And Lewis:

"“I'm the driver that people seem to want to write about at the moment,” he told the Daily Telegraph. “It is a shame people don't get to know the real Lewis Hamilton. They only get the version presented through the media.

“I realised last year that however much you care about how you are perceived, you cannot control what people write."

Oops!!! I am sorry as you did say: "being outspoken and interesting without coming across as a boorish prat"....guess I wuz wrong

jens
3rd July 2008, 18:12
Yep. I mostly skip team/driver GP previews as they offer nothing. To be honest, the amount of articles at news sites, which actually offer some interesting and important information or views, is alas not huge.

F1boat
3rd July 2008, 18:16
I dunno. I prefer dull to arrogant comments.

mstillhere
3rd July 2008, 18:37

BRAVO!!!

gravity
3rd July 2008, 20:54
The FIA have a ruling that forces selected drivers and team representatives to comment before the race.
With that in mind... how about this off-tangent theory :)
I don't think the drivers that are selected appreciate being chosen that often, so, by making boring statements, they hope to be overlooked when the next batch of drivers are to be chosen for interviews.

To me, it seems the 'quiet' drivers seem to last longer than the outspoken ones in F1.

ioan
4th July 2008, 08:21
The FIA have a ruling that forces selected drivers and team representatives to comment before the race.
With that in mind... how about this off-tangent theory :)
I don't think the drivers that are selected appreciate being chosen that often, so, by making boring statements, they hope to be overlooked when the next batch of drivers are to be chosen for interviews.

To me, it seems the 'quiet' drivers seem to last longer than the outspoken ones in F1.

Nah, they wouldn't drop the drivers from the bigger teams, the ones more likely to win, no matter what they say.
Anyway, saying something stupid or very irritating would give them more of a chance not to be asked again.

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 08:48
Spontaneity is being stamped out at every opportunity :mad: The podium ceremony is another example. There are regulations covering this. Regulations for crying out loud :rolleyes:

Knock-on
4th July 2008, 08:56
Spontaneity is being stamped out at every opportunity :mad: The podium ceremony is another example. There are regulations covering this. Regulations for crying out loud :rolleyes:

It is all a bit silly.

Sitting here, we have the option to rip apart every "reported" comment. No matter how it's taken out of context or whatever.

Lewis is having a great time. He is a superb driver and is riding a crest at the moment. I for one hope he doesn't have all the spark driven out of him no matter how many people blast him for perceived arrogance.

After all, it's how he performs on track that matters and apart from a couple of cock-ups, his driving has been electric.

Dave B
4th July 2008, 09:33
What we also forget sometimes is that drivers are frequently talking in their second (or third) language. My French is good enough to ensure I don't get fish when I order steak, and I can ask directions to the plage with the best of them, but I wouldn't necessarily come across well in a press conference in anything other than my mother tongue.