PDA

View Full Version : DC to call time on his F1 career at Silverstone?

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 12:31
I know this rumour does the rounds every few months, but the BBC are reporting that Coulthard may use today's (Thursday's) press conference to announce his retirement.

David Coulthard is expected to announce at the British Grand Prix that he will retire from racing in Formula One at the end of the season.

The 37-year-old Scot, who has won 13 races in a 14-year career, has admitted recently to considering his future.

He is participating in an official news conference at Silverstone on Thursday and may make the announcement there.

Coulthard, who has driven for Williams, McLaren and Red Bull in F1, was unavailable for comment.
It is not known whether he will continue to be involved in the sport, although newspapers have speculated that he might take on a role as a TV commentator with the BBC next season.

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/drivers/7487186.stm

If it's true, some members here will be pleased as they've been calling for his retirement for several years.

Me, I reckon DC has nothing left to prove. He was placed in a difficult situation, replacing Ayrton Senna at Williams, and a few howlers (such as crashing on his way into the pits) aside perfomed admirably.

Clearly McLaren saw his quality, as he became practically part of the furniture. Never quite on the level of Mika or Kimi, he nevertheless was a dogged and consistant performer. One-lap qualifying was his only real weakness.

Many, including myself, expected his move to Red Bull to be a one-year deal before his retirement. The team seemed intent on projecting a youthful image and it was hard to see where DC would fit in. However his technical input has proved invaluable and he's clearly enjoying being reunited with Adrian Newey.

Anyway, it's only a rumour. At the moment. :)

ArrowsFA1
3rd July 2008, 12:40
Well if DC did announce his retirement I suspect his press conference would not be full of the bland comments I've been ranting about :p and if he does, as he said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68743) earlier this week: "...boo hoo, you know? There are a lot of worse things that can happen to you. You just move on to the next challenge."

MrJan
3rd July 2008, 12:46
I've never liked him really (too much whinging) but will sort of be sad to see him go. He was never (IMO) WDC material but certainly a solid finisher and he has done fairly well at Red Bull and has generally been solid throughout his career (which is fairly impressive in it's length).

However I do believe that it is time to move over, F1 is about young guns these days and DC is soon going to be old enough be other drivers' Dad :laugh: ;)

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 12:51
Oi, he's only a year older than me! Anyway, if he'd become a father at 16 then that kid would easily be old enough for F1 now :eek:

MrJan
3rd July 2008, 12:54
Oi, he's only a year older than me! Anyway, if he'd become a father at 16 then that kid would easily be old enough for F1 now :eek:

Guess the dream of driving in F1 is pretty much over for you then? :laugh:

Actually at 23 it's also over for me :S

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 14:00
My F1 dream hit the rocks the first time I got into a kart aged about 10 and realised I was, to be frank, crap :p

SGWilko
3rd July 2008, 14:01
DC will make a great ambassador for a myriad of sponsors.

He is extremely articulate, and is always good for a quality soundbite. :)

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 14:06
In an interview on ITV-F1, Sir Jackie Stewart says he "thinks it's time for David to move on and enjoy the rest of his life", adding that he'd make an excellent commentator (which may explain why the BBC seem ahead of the pack with this story ;) ) and that he thinks DC is "mature, speaks well and has good mind managemet".

MrJan
3rd July 2008, 14:35
My F1 dream hit the rocks the first time I got into a kart aged about 10 and realised I was, to be frank, crap :p

I hear that. Since taking up sprinting this year I've been repeating the mantra "As long as you have fun....as long as you have fun" ;) :D

slinkster
3rd July 2008, 14:49
I've always seen DC as Mr Average in F1. I wasn't suprised by this and frankly I do think it's time for him to move on. Best of luck DC!

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 14:57
ITV are reporting this news now, and given that Martin Brundle is part of their commentary team as well as DC's manager, I'd say that pretty much confirms it.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=43193

3rd July 2008, 15:56
ITV are reporting this news now, and given that Martin Brundle is part of their commentary team as well as DC's manager, I'd say that pretty much confirms it.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=43193

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68798

Now that does confirm it.

ioan
3rd July 2008, 16:08
Good luck in his post F1 life! :)

Dave B
3rd July 2008, 16:16
According to Autosport (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68802):

Coulthard, a 13-time grand prix winner, will continue to work for Red Bull Racing as a consultant.

"Red Bull Racing will still be utilising his services and he will on occasion drive the car in test sessions for us so that we can draw upon his vast experience and knowledge," added Horner.

"He will be involved as a consultant to the team and to the technical group as we look to extract the maximum from his considerable experience of Formula One. I don't think he will be struggling to fill his time."

I wonder if this role will leave him time to commentate for the BBC, as has been speculated.

wedge
3rd July 2008, 16:22
I remember him saying that he wasn't interested in doing it, more interested in corporate stuff.

I think he said this last year when he was promoting his book.

markabilly
3rd July 2008, 16:56
A shame, really one less someone for everyone to pick on....

FIA
3rd July 2008, 17:47
Sad news!

Vettel to get his seat then I guess.

fugariracing
3rd July 2008, 17:48

Fisi's still out there...

Probably all but confirms Vettel at RBR for next year.

Bezza
3rd July 2008, 18:37
DC has been my favourite driver since Damon Hill retired. It is not only because he is British (I don't like Lewis Hamilton), but because of his personality. Whilst originally he came across as dull, he has matured into a very canny guy with a brilliantly dry sense of humour.

He has also been a really good driver, basically just lacked the consistency of a champion and the qualifying speed.

His drives at Silverstone in 2000 and Monaco in 2002 rank as two of the best from any driver in the last decade.

I hope he becomes a pundit with the Beeb because he will speak his mind, and not pretend that certain drivers are brilliant even when they make big mistakes!

jens
3rd July 2008, 19:43
Hmm. In some way it may sound surprising to see him announcing his retirement as I thought he is such kind of guy, who fights for a drive until he is kicked out of F1. But even this may be a possibility as he may have realized that he didn't have a chance to get a drive for 2009 anyway, so announcing a retirement by yourself sounds better than being forced out of F1 by others.

All in all, I'd say it was about time to retire. There was no way I could see him on the grid in 2009. I think that since 2003, after the changes in qualifying rules, he hasn't been quite the same driver any more. While his race pace has still often been fine, then in qualifying he has often lost too much ground. Up and including 2002 it was different - DC was quick in qualifying and often performed better in quali than in the race.

Generally I have nothing against DC personally, but I have to admit one thing that has annoyed me about him... and still does. That he has got way too many opportunities in top teams (10 years in Williams and McLaren), while several arguably even more talented drivers have got zero chances. :mark: But yeah, this is the way life and F1 works - it's never so that everyone get equal opportunities...

MrJan
3rd July 2008, 19:50
I see where you are coming from with the final comment Jens but, especially for McLaren, I think DC was a good second driver who could score consistently. We saw last season what can happen if 2 drivers are in direct competition so Coulthard was always a sound investment.

jonny hurlock
3rd July 2008, 20:07
end of the era for me, good luck for DC whatever he does in the future,

jens
3rd July 2008, 21:09
I see where you are coming from with the final comment Jens but, especially for McLaren, I think DC was a good second driver who could score consistently. We saw last season what can happen if 2 drivers are in direct competition so Coulthard was always a sound investment.

About DC being a good second driver, then actually in some strange way it seems like he in some way could have cost McLaren two WCC's! May sound hypothetical :p :... but here I mean the years of 1999 and 2003.
1999 Suzuka - DC was driving 3rd ahead of Irvine, McLaren was in position to win the WCC by one point and then... DC hit the barrier. And in 2003 DC was losing too much in qualifying and most of the time in races was fighting for minor points as team-mate Kimi was scoring podiums...

But what I agree with that up-and-including 2002 he was rarely embarrasingly off the pace compared to his team-mate, so therefore maybe McLaren wasn't in a hurry to replace him, seeing that DC was more or less able to do an 'acceptable' job.

Robinho
3rd July 2008, 21:12
i like the guy, he's been a very good driver over the years, on his day he could take it to anyone on the grid, although he didn't have enough of "his" days to ever really mount a championship challenge, but he was more than good value for his wins, poles and years in the championship.

probably the right time to call it a day, he's shown he can still put in a decent result, and prone to the odd mistake, best to get out before its just the mistakes and no results.

only Fisi and Rubens left of the proper old guard now, and i think we'll probably lose at least one more of them at the end of the year

Whyzars
3rd July 2008, 22:15
About DC being a good second driver, then actually in some strange way it seems like he in some way could have cost McLaren two WCC's! May sound hypothetical :p :... but here I mean the years of 1999 and 2003.
1999 Suzuka - DC was driving 3rd ahead of Irvine, McLaren was in position to win the WCC by one point and then... DC hit the barrier.

On the same token it can be said that McLaren would not have been in the position to claim the WCC in 1999 if it wasn't for DC. :)

I was in the Priory stand at Silverstone and had a great view of Mika Hakkinen's wheel coming off. The other memorable event of that particular race was Michael Schumacher breaking his leg. With the 2 leading drivers out of the race it was most important that the number 2's stepped up. DC did and won the race.

David has been a great driver and ambassador for the sport in general. I hope that he moves into F1 administration and takes over the whole show. Bernie should simply hand DC the keys and let him run F1 for the next 30 years...

Good luck David.

:)

VkmSpouge
4th July 2008, 00:16
David Coulthard has been a good driver over his Formula 1 career thoroughly deserving of his place on the grid and all his wins. He was never going to be a championship challenger but on his day he could beat anyone. I hope DC has a great last half a season in F1.

stevie_gerrard
4th July 2008, 00:53
A shame we will lose one of the great f1 drivers, its been a pleasure to watch his driving talent and his non driving talent over the years crashing into the nearest car available at times :p : But i think hes been really good for the sport. Will never forget when he came 3rd at Monaco a few years ago. Brilliant Drive. Saying that, i do agree that his time probably has come so i wish him good luck for whatever he plans to do :)

gloomyDAY
4th July 2008, 03:14
Thank God! Get DC out of a racing seat and Vettel the wheel to a better car.

I'm really happy about this news because I believe Vettel can sparkle next season.

Hawkmoon
4th July 2008, 05:17
Well, the average age of the grid just went down.

I guess 2009 really won't be DC's year!

aryan
4th July 2008, 08:46
I'm so sad to see DC go. This really is an end of an era.

He was a true gentleman, and was one of the few who spoke his mind in the interviews. His commentary column on ITV was informative.

Nevertheless, the writing was on the wall and it's great to see him retire at will, and not do a Ralf and be rejected by Force India.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRhDQ5LVeL8

Enjoy the rest of your life DC. We'll miss you :)

Roamy
4th July 2008, 09:31

yea ya ya ya stick a ing fork in him - he has been done for years. Hooray Martin Brundle get out of town!!! He will make a great embassador. Knight him you old bitch!!! David did well - he was great for the sport.

gravity
4th July 2008, 11:02
When Damon Hill announced his retirement, suddenly his Arrows was charging for a F1 win (Hungary?). When Gerhard Berger announced his retirement, suddenly an underperforming Ferrari was dominant at Hockenheim. I have my doubts about those two passing race scrutineering.
Seems to me an announcement to retire is a 'get out of jail free' card.

What are the chances that DC's Red Bull will be charging for a win very soon? Possibly Silverstone...

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2008, 11:09
When Damon Hill announced his retirement, suddenly his Arrows was charging for a F1 win (Hungary?). When Gerhard Berger announced his retirement, suddenly an underperforming Ferrari was dominant at Hockenheim.
Errrrrr...Damon retired two years after that race for Arrows in Hungary, and Gerhard was driving for Benetton when he retired.

Dave B
4th July 2008, 11:13
Berger attributed his sudden (and brief) upturn in form to being inspired by the death of his father while he was sidelined by illness. I'm not sure his retirement had anything to do with it.

gravity
4th July 2008, 11:48
Errrrrr...Damon retired two years after that race for Arrows in Hungary, and Gerhard was driving for Benetton when he retired.

Oh dear... thanks for clearing that up :dozey:
Was just thinking back to about 10 years ago where I started to notice some 'irregularities' pop up in the results. Not talking about a race like Canada 2008 where BMW won because of other cars involved in incidents, but where a driver, who was not on the pace, is suddenly the class of the field. Berger retired soon after his 'great drive'. As it wasn't for retirement, Hill then must have been fast to save face (not doing particularly well even with a #1 on his car)?

Dave B
4th July 2008, 11:53
Hill's always been somewhat of a Hungary speciallist, and it's a circuit which flatters cars which are lacking in power. I don't see anything suspicious about his performance there in '97.