PDA

View Full Version : ARD confirms IRL shopping 2009 TV Options

weeflyonthewall
2nd July 2008, 21:55
According to Auto Racing Daily the unification of Indy Car racing has resulted in some positive results. More teams are in the fold. The recent Indy Car event at the new Iowa Speedway was a sellout. Also, the TV broadcast of the event pulled a 1.0 rating according to the Nielsen survey system. On another TV item, we’ve seen reports that the IRL may be out shopping for its TV broadcasts. Currently, that sanction does a time-buy deal with ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. Other reports tell of Speedway Motorsports also doing some shopping of their own to bring in IRL Indy Car events to a number of their tracks including New Hampshire Motor Speedway, SMI’s latest track in its portfolio.
The fact that Indy Car sensation Danica Patrick has been named as one of the Presenters for the 16th Annual ESPYs which will be televised on Sunday, July 20 at 9 p.m ET on ESPN and ESPN HD bodes well for the recovery of Indy Car racing trying to regain a substantial audience both at the tracks on the airwaves. Patrick will be among many others that have star power. http://motorsportsnews.net/archives/1359

garyshell
3rd July 2008, 14:50
According to Auto Racing Daily the unification of Indy Car racing has resulted in some positive results. More teams are in the fold. The recent Indy Car event at the new Iowa Speedway was a sellout. Also, the TV broadcast of the event pulled a 1.0 rating according to the Nielsen survey system. On another TV item, we’ve seen reports that the IRL may be out shopping for its TV broadcasts. Currently, that sanction does a time-buy deal with ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. Other reports tell of Speedway Motorsports also doing some shopping of their own to bring in IRL Indy Car events to a number of their tracks including New Hampshire Motor Speedway, SMI’s latest track in its portfolio.
The fact that Indy Car sensation Danica Patrick has been named as one of the Presenters for the 16th Annual ESPYs which will be televised on Sunday, July 20 at 9 p.m ET on ESPN and ESPN HD bodes well for the recovery of Indy Car racing trying to regain a substantial audience both at the tracks on the airwaves. Patrick will be among many others that have star power. http://motorsportsnews.net/archives/1359

"Time buy"..... hmmmmmmm. Weren't we all told for years about the money flowing in the oposite direction?

Gary

BobGarage
3rd July 2008, 15:31
"Time buy"..... hmmmmmmm. Weren't we all told for years about the money flowing in the oposite direction?

Gary

that is what indycool has been preaching for years.....

anthonyvop
3rd July 2008, 15:34
And you believe Indycool.

BobGarage
3rd July 2008, 15:40

nope, I've never believed a word he said.

I was just pointing out, what Indycool had been preaching for years ;-)

JSH
3rd July 2008, 15:50
nope, I've never believed a word he said.

But a story where one website references another is more accurate? :p

BobGarage
3rd July 2008, 15:52
But a story where one website references another is more accurate? :p

i never said that. ;)

JSH
3rd July 2008, 15:58
i never said that. ;)

Touche!

garyshell
3rd July 2008, 17:22

Twas not only IC saying this. It was referenced numerous times by numerous "sources". I wonder where the REAL story can be found?

Gary

garyshell
3rd July 2008, 17:24

At least HE is honest about his biases, unlike some so called "journalists" around here.

Gary

anthonyvop
3rd July 2008, 19:24
At least HE is honest about his biases, unlike some so called "journalists" around here.

Gary
Not a journalist while here. Media Pundit like a O'Reilly or Obermman....Wait...Not Oberman.

tbyars
3rd July 2008, 20:38
Twas not only IC saying this. It was referenced numerous times by numerous "sources". I wonder where the REAL story can be found?

Gary

I DO know this, Gary.

A number of times over the years, several NASCAR-oriented journalists have made the same error by stating the IRL TV deal is a time buy.

In every single case where that has happened, the journalist in question has come back in short order and issued a retraction of that claim publicly.

I have always felt like this was just one more symptom of the confusion wrought by having two separate AOW series. Even those covering the sport couldn't keep details like this straight.

tbyars
3rd July 2008, 20:41
Not a journalist while here. Media Pundit like a O'Reilly or Obermman....Wait...Not Oberman.

Somehow, I don't think that is a determination YOU get the opportunity or right to make. You either enhance your own credibility with the words you write, or you don't. Pretty simple, really.

anthonyvop
3rd July 2008, 21:24
Somehow, I don't think that is a determination YOU get the opportunity or right to make. You either enhance your own credibility with the words you write, or you don't. Pretty simple, really.
Kind of self-serving of you don't you think?

I write something you agree with and I am a respected journalist. I write something you don't agree with I am biased.

garyshell
3rd July 2008, 21:38

Kind of self-serving of you don't you think?

Self serving??? I'd say the first quote above fits that bill rather nicely.

I write something you agree with and I am a respected journalist. I write something you don't agree with I am biased.

Oh, out comes the victim card. No, it's more like you write something that purports to be a news piece and then inject your own opinions into it. That's when we call you biased.

Gary

BenRoethig
3rd July 2008, 22:16

Gary

The way it really works is that ABC/ESPN pays a substantial price for the rights to the Indy500, but then has to pay for the airtime for the rest of the schedule.

indycool
3rd July 2008, 23:37
Well, you can believe it or not, but that was documented long ago by better sources than me OR ARD.

As for TV.......

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=11886

Wilf
4th July 2008, 00:04
The way it really works is that ABC/ESPN pays a substantial price for the rights to the Indy500, but then has to pay for the airtime for the rest of the schedule.

And you know this how? There has never been a credible post saying that.
David Poole back away from his December statement of time buys. Hopefully, you can shine so light on the subject that others have not been able to do.

indycool
4th July 2008, 00:43
Others have, too. Lot of bandwidth spent on speculation of the rights fee, which nobody knows......but ABC has spent one on the Indianapolis 500 for 40-plus years.

Hoss Ghoul
4th July 2008, 01:49
I've read in numerous articles over the years that ESPN/ABC pays the IRL $10 million a year for broadcast rights.

That sounds about right, almost like a discount for having to run a bunch of .7 and 1.0 races. Not a lot of money, considering NASCAR takes in hundreds of millions per year from its partners.

ChicagocrewIRL
4th July 2008, 04:48
ARD should get a new fact checker and stop using NASCAR as a source for info about the IRL. It amazes me that any hack can start up a "journal" and call it a news source. The following article from the Indianapolis Business Journal should lay to rest any misconception that the IRL buys its network exposure. I believe those of you who believe that have the IRL mixed up with the old CCWS which DID pay ESPN/ABC for coverage.

'nuff said

http://cms.ibj.com/ASPXPages/6iframes/FrontEndArticlesDetailPage.aspx?ArticleID=15652&NoFrame=1

pits4me
7th July 2008, 18:11
ARD should get a new fact checker and stop using NASCAR as a source for info about the IRL. It amazes me that any hack can start up a "journal" and call it a news source. The following article from the Indianapolis Business Journal should lay to rest any misconception that the IRL buys its network exposure. I believe those of you who believe that have the IRL mixed up with the old CCWS which DID pay ESPN/ABC for coverage.

'nuff said

http://cms.ibj.com/ASPXPages/6iframes/FrontEndArticlesDetailPage.aspx?ArticleID=15652&NoFrame=1

The net maybe $10 million but many broadcast contracts have concessions. ABC/ESPN committed to only 40% being televised as "network" races. the remainder are evenly split between ESPN and ESPN2. The self-broadcast portion may include some of the ESPN2 events and the replays on ESPN Classic which could reduce a $14 million TV deal significantly.

If ICS wants to increase its TV leverage beyond perceived value they'll need more manufacturers involved.

Unification of rival business plans and series was just part of the solution. Zak Brown knows this, that's why the ICS held a manufacturers forum recently. Coupled with the big three rationalizing their level of participation in NASCAR, others migrating to ALMS, the seeds need to be in the ground sooner rather than later.

indycool
7th July 2008, 19:21
The ICS conducted the manufacturers meeting to determine what type of thing manufacturers were looking for, rules-wise on engines, in order to induce their participation in the series and to also let them know what the league's plans were.

The TV deal is only a part of that. Chicken vs. egg.

jarrambide
7th July 2008, 19:35
The ICS conducted the manufacturers meeting to determine what type of thing manufacturers were looking for, rules-wise on engines, in order to induce their participation in the series and to also let them know what the league's plans were.

The TV deal is only a part of that. Chicken vs. egg.
I agree and disagree at the same time, it is true the TV deal is only part of that, but the chicken vs egg analogy is not the right one in my opinion because so many things are interconnected, no single thing will get the others, there are so many things that need to improve, but the thing is that many are dependent on the others to improve, not an easy task, not an easy task.

garyshell
7th July 2008, 19:40
I agree and disagree at the same time, it is true the TV deal is only part of that, but the chicken vs egg analogy is not the right one in my opinion because so many things are interconnected, no single thing will get the others, there are so many things that need to improve, but the thing is that many are dependent on the others to improve, not an easy task, not an easy task.

Ok, so it is a chicken, egg, rooster, hen house, feed, water kind of thing then. <big ol' grin>

Gar

!!WALDO!!
7th July 2008, 19:48

'nuff said

Another one of my facts that keeps coming back and slapping things. Mark Shapiro did the last deal in 2005 before leaving to run Six Flags.
The deal as reported by him and Brian was a 25% increase over the previous contract. The previous contract was done Labor Day of 2001 and was $30,000,000 ($11,000,000 500 and $19,000,000 balance od schedule)

Now the true CART fans did not believe the 2001 contract because they did not hear or read it themselves as they were not at Chicagoland in 2001 when it was announced or read about it in NSSN.
This is why there was a disinformation campaign. If you are not willing to believe the truth, or go to the source of the information, then you will believe the lie. This was the easiest to accept. There are those that believed that ESPN paid the CCWS for races last year but not the IRL. Even though Kalkhoven hinted to the fact it was a cheaper deal than the previous year for the CCWS. Again believe the lie not the man paying the bill.

The $1,200,000 paid out to the cars every race is ALL TV money. The 500 purse is 80% TV money and 20% Sponsorship money. It has been this way pretty much since day one but there are those that cannot accept the truth unless they see a copy of the contract.

It is too bad most reporters have become story writers and use the sewer of the internet as their source rather than pick up the phone and car Mark at 6 Flags over Texas.