PDA

View Full Version : EJ Viso: Gettin' some national press !!!

ChicagocrewIRL
1st July 2008, 19:53
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/irl/2008-06-30-viso_N.htm

dataman1
1st July 2008, 20:24
I had a chance to talk to this kid in Indy. You could see the fire he has in his eyes when he talks about racing. Something in my gut tells me he will become one of the future series leaders like Kanaan and Helio did.

Think back several years. Who brought Helio to the track. The same team (under a different name) with many of the same team members.

Breeze
2nd July 2008, 17:04
"Danica, she's never happy, so I don't care," Viso says.
:rotflmao:

I just love that! :D

coogmaster
3rd July 2008, 17:17
Viso has been the biggest surprise in my eyes so far this IndyCar season.

It seems like he's the only driver outside of the big three who is equally strong on both road courses and ovals, with an underfunded team nonetheless. His performance at Texas, charging from 28th to the top ten, although he got screwed on pit stops, was the most impressive performance of all. And don't forget, he led quite a few laps at St. Pete as well.

If the team can just get the pitstops straightened out, I think he'll be a threat for an upset victory this season! What a great story that would be.

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd July 2008, 17:53
Don't forget his engineer is a certain Michael Cannon who propelled AJ Allmendinger and Robert Doornbos to victory lane a couple of times. See you there soon, EJ.

On a side note: shouldn't Keith Wiggins rename his team to Bettenhausen Motorsports? HVM doesn't make a lot of sense anymore.

anthonyvop
3rd July 2008, 19:21
Interesting how USAToday never mentions who is sponsoring him!

dataman1
3rd July 2008, 21:03
On a side note: shouldn't Keith Wiggins rename his team to Bettenhausen Motorsports? HVM doesn't make a lot of sense anymore.

Rumors at Long Beach, yes I said rumors, no links, sorry: related to an old contact & supporter within Herdez that may still be a silent partner to Keith. The HVM has something to do with that and is abbreviation for (last 2 letters) Viva Mexico. That's the way rumors go, just pieces of information. File this in the "for what it is worth" category.

fugariracing
3rd July 2008, 22:16

Keeping with the tradition of changing names a dime a dozen, eh? Since 2000 and the fatal Bettenhausen plane crash, it has had five different names, Bettenhausen, Herdez Competition, HVM, CTE-HVM and Minardi Team USA. Has not had the same name in consecutive seasons since 2003 and '04.

It returned to HVM this year and just relaunched a new website under the HVM-racing.com moniker. So that might stick for a while.

Only surprise to me at least was Wiggins never changing back to Pacific Racing which was his European F3000 and F1 squad's name.

Gluaistean
5th July 2008, 18:11
Interesting how USAToday never mentions who is sponsoring him!

Anthony, I saw the same thing too. I also saw the mocking article by AR1 which I subscribe to and usually like. Seems to me at least that political leanings have made their way into the racing scene whether it is ABC, newspaper articles or internet musings.
God forbid that the dreaded Venezuelan owned Citgo or it's parent company ever get a screen shot. The whole governmen will collapse as a result. This petty and presumptive attitude permeates all ares of life in this country and now it is prevelent in opinion on racing and telecast.
If Citgo were Texaco do you think we would have more shots of the car irrespective of track position? Do you think if Viso were Patrick would we see the way he was progressing through the field if not for his PDVSA sponsor? Boy, Motorola would have even more exposure than they already have with their mediocre driver. "The car is too loose" at every track Danica. That is the reason you have pratice. Get the setup right.

Viso is good and the series if it wants to survive should give some exposure to the backmarkers who have attained sponsorship irrespective of whom they are and give exposure to the little team that could with the likes of HVM.

anthonyvop
5th July 2008, 21:45
Anthony, I saw the same thing too. I also saw the mocking article by AR1 which I subscribe to and usually like. Seems to me at least that political leanings have made their way into the racing scene whether it is ABC, newspaper articles or internet musings.
God forbid that the dreaded Venezuelan owned Citgo or it's parent company ever get a screen shot. The whole governmen will collapse as a result. This petty and presumptive attitude permeates all ares of life in this country and now it is prevelent in opinion on racing and telecast.
If Citgo were Texaco do you think we would have more shots of the car irrespective of track position? Do you think if Viso were Patrick would we see the way he was progressing through the field if not for his PDVSA sponsor? Boy, Motorola would have even more exposure than they already have with their mediocre driver. "The car is too loose" at every track Danica. That is the reason you have pratice. Get the setup right.

Viso is good and the series if it wants to survive should give some exposure to the backmarkers who have attained sponsorship irrespective of whom they are and give exposure to the little team that could with the likes of HVM.
Racing is very important to me. I am involved in it not only as a fan but as a business as well.

But.

There are more important things than racing. Politics is one of them. TV will have no problem showing Ernesto's car because 99% of the Viewers have no clue who his sponser is.
They had no problem showing Milka's.

Gluaistean
6th July 2008, 05:14
Racing is very important to me. I am involved in it not only as a fan but as a business as well.

But.

There are more important things than racing. Politics is one of them. TV will have no problem showing Ernesto's car because 99% of the Viewers have no clue who his sponser is.
They had no problem showing Milka's.

What exactly is your point? There are more things in life more important than motor racing. Do you think/believe that most of us that follow this sport do not realize this and are so obtuse as to believe it is the bedrock of our existence?!

So, you're involved in the business side of racing? What capacity? And, what is the real reason behind this sudden Venezuelan hatred? Is it more of the xenophobic attitude drummed up by those that are counting on the likes of the dittoheads of society to walk lock step with those that tell what to believe in case they might have to learn what to think like say, for instance,that Citgo is a company that legitimately sells gasoline here the US and is owned by Viso's sponsor.

Wow, isn't that earth shattering and a slap to all that is dear. And, I have a hard time recalling ever seeing Duno's car on track except when involved in an accident. But, boy, I do see a hell of a lot of Danica making sure that in her well funded, expertly tuned and set up car making sure that she is following the pack and may get lucky and have a fuel economy race that only her really smart engineers have figured out and that Castroneves almost stopped on track. Just sayin.

ChicagocrewIRL
6th July 2008, 21:57
EJ that was not a very nice thing you did to Vitor after he was a pro and gave
you room. Your stock just went down a few points .

anthonyvop
7th July 2008, 03:11
[quote="Gluaistean"]
So, you're involved in the business side of racing? What capacity? And, what is the real reason behind this sudden Venezuelan hatred? Is it more of the xenophobic attitude drummed up by those that are counting on the likes of the dittoheads of society to walk lock step with those that tell what to believe in case they might have to learn what to think like say, for instance,that Citgo is a company that legitimately sells gasoline here the US and is owned by Viso's sponsor.
QUOTE]
If you want to discuss Politics I suggest we take it over to the Chit-Chat forum as I am sure the moderators would frown upon my showing you the errors of your ways.

Gluaistean
7th July 2008, 04:42
QUOTE]
If you want to discuss Politics I suggest we take it over to the Chit-Chat forum as I am sure the moderators would frown upon my showing you the errors of your ways.
Laughable. Make a comment and when it is challenged call for the moderators or skulk away to a corner. Look, don't initiate the subject and you won't be engaged. EJ Viso and his sponsor deserve to be seen as much as do those of Duno. Take your political diatribe with you and go elsewhere.

Starter
7th July 2008, 11:59
anthony is correct about one thing. Take the politics to 'Chit Chat' or PM. This one's for racing.

anthonyvop
7th July 2008, 12:17
Laughable. Make a comment and when it is challenged call for the moderators or skulk away to a corner. Look, don't initiate the subject and you won't be engaged. EJ Viso and his sponsor deserve to be seen as much as do those of Duno. Take your political diatribe with you and go elsewhere.
Whatever dude.
Ok. You want this thread shut down? Here we go.

I have a serious problem with a sponsor who's money goes to support terrorists and kidnappers.

BobGarage
7th July 2008, 12:19
I have a serious problem with a sponsor who's money goes to support terrorists and kidnappers.

mcdonalds finacially supported the IRA for years and I know a large number of British service men who refuse to eat there.

mikiec
7th July 2008, 12:33

I could have a field day with that quote, if this thread wasn't just about to be shut down.

anthonyvop
7th July 2008, 12:34
mcdonalds finacially supported the IRA for years and I know a large number of British service men who refuse to eat there.

HAHAHA
Urban Myth my boy!
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DB1739F933A05752C1A96F9482 60

BTW that is a terrible way to debate. DIdn't you teacher ever tell you that just because others are doing it that doesn't make it right?

ChicagocrewIRL
7th July 2008, 12:36
Oh my gawd !!! My thread's been hijacked !!!!

Didn't anyone see that awful thing Viso did to Meira ??? In my mind that was more evil than what Cheever did to Marco a few years back.

With the fuel and pit strategy and the late yellows, I think Vitor had a great chance to run up front in the last few laps and Viso (big jerk) punted him right out after Vitor was a classy guy and gave him room.

BAAAAAD VISO !!!!

Edited by one of the moderators.

Gluaistean
7th July 2008, 14:50

Bob, please take note that I did not make that quote.

anthonyvop
7th July 2008, 15:02
Oh my gawd !!! My thread's been hijacked !!!!

Didn't anyone see that awful thing Viso did to Meira ??? In my mind that was more evil than what Cheever did to Marco a few years back.

With the fuel and pit strategy and the late yellows, I think Vitor had a great chance to run up front in the last few laps and Viso (big jerk) punted him right out after Vitor was a classy guy and gave him room.

BAAAAAD VISO !!!! (oh yeah and I don't like your sponsor and your dictator either) I bet old boy Hugo was laughing like crazy that his PDVSA car punted the National Guard car. Take that gringos !!!
Yea. That was pretty bad.

weeflyonthewall
7th July 2008, 17:22
EJ that was not a very nice thing you did to Vitor after he was a pro and gave
you room. Your stock just went down a few points .

If EJ was on full lock and the car wasn't responding is it his fault? This is a Dallara not Formula One or CC Panoz DP01. The sooner they address the problem the better.

anthonyvop
7th July 2008, 18:22
It wasn't on full lock (easily seen on TV) and the over taking car has the responsibility to avoid contact. EJ had plenty of track room, if he didn't or couldn't hold a proper line, he shouldn't have stuck it in there.

It was 100% Ernesto(I refuse to call him E.J.) Viso's fault.

Gluaistean
7th July 2008, 19:49
It wasn't on full lock (easily seen on TV) and the over taking car has the responsibility to avoid contact. EJ had plenty of track room, if he didn't or couldn't hold a proper line, he shouldn't have stuck it in there.

Moderator, if you are going to delete posts because of political commentary then you should do the same with # 11.

As for the accident it did seem as though Viso chopped Meira. Sad to see a driver that was running so well be unceremoniously denied from finishing the race.

jarrambide
7th July 2008, 19:58
Moderator, if you are going to delete posts because of political commentary then you should do the same with # 11.

As for the accident it did seem as though Viso chopped Meira. Sad to see a driver that was running so well be unceremoniously denied from finishing the race.It wasn´t Starter, I deleted those posts, but I missed # 11.

ChicagocrewIRL
7th July 2008, 20:19
.....and the more I watch it, the more I can't help but think it was intentional.

Dirty driving will com back to haunt you Viso.

bradslater
8th July 2008, 10:25
.....and the more I watch it, the more I can't help but think it was intentional.

Dirty driving will com back to haunt you Viso.

Oh please!!??, intentional!!?? you must be kidding!? this is racing, things happens even more in these tracks that sometimes seems too tight...but saying that was intentional is like saying that Perera-Meira http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCc9Z4H4oVA&feature=related at St Peterburg was intentional too...
In my opinion Meira could have battle differently in both incidents and not just "eject" from the moment when enough evidence is generated to blame the other driver...
Viso is trying hard, very hard, much more taking in consideration the media that has generated around him...no safe zone allowed at this point, if he goes firm and solid is because he is slow and steady and if he goes fast then becomes dangerous...
Dunno why, but I see him in a near future podium, and no by dirty driving, but by pushing the limits and gaining the well deserved respect...that's what racing is all about...

MDS
8th July 2008, 17:04
I've said this before on other threads and I'll say it again. The track has to take some blame. Watkins Glen, with its high speed corners, is just not conductive to good passing. There are only a few passing zones, and with the straights and the speeds being what they are, the track isn't well suited to this kind of racing.

Lousada
8th July 2008, 18:01
I've said this before on other threads and I'll say it again. The track has to take some blame. Watkins Glen, with its high speed corners, is just not conductive to good passing. There are only a few passing zones, and with the straights and the speeds being what they are, the track isn't well suited to this kind of racing.

It's NOT the tracks fault. The track has been like this for ages and has hardly changed. Therefore it's the cars fault. Or to be precise the rulemakers fault.

Mr Jinxx
9th July 2008, 16:36
Sorry, but that was a cadet karting move that has no place on a real race track. Viso clearly just drove Vitor off the road. Viso may be a funny little guy off track, but that was dumb and dangerous driving, without class or finesse or any regard to anyone else (or even himself). He really does need to learn racecraft - he always gives the impression he's a passenger, hanging on for dear life, an accident just waiting to happen. I was very unimpressed with that move on Meira. I often wondered why, of all the teams that Mr Viso has driven for in the past few years, and despite his $pon$or$ship, none of them seem to have invited him back the following year, nor has he been poached by the best teams. Funny, that.

Indy500'79
9th July 2008, 18:08
He definately reminds me of Sheckter. I would like to see what EJ could do in better equipment.

MDS
9th July 2008, 20:57
Sorry, but that was a cadet karting move that has no place on a real race track.

While that may be true Scott Dixon's spinning under caution, Danica almost taking out an entire pit crew while doing a burnout and Buddy Rice's body check on Bruno had no place on a "Real Track" either. A lot of drivers fell short on skill at Watkins Glen. To pick out Viso seems a bit like a double standard.

Also, Viso will be back at HVM next year and they are working hard to find sponsorship for a second car

elis
9th July 2008, 21:48
Sorry, but that was a cadet karting move that has no place on a real race track. Viso clearly just drove Vitor off the road. Viso may be a funny little guy off track, but that was dumb and dangerous driving, without class or finesse or any regard to anyone else (or even himself). He really does need to learn racecraft - he always gives the impression he's a passenger, hanging on for dear life, an accident just waiting to happen. I was very unimpressed with that move on Meira.

This was a racing incident nothing more. Vitor left the door wide open & EJ went through. Unfortunately his momentum & faster pace took him to the out side line of the track were the rear of his car clipped the front of Mieras on the same line.

To say Viso's move was dangerous is ridiculous. All overtaking manouvres carry some risk otherwise its called pulling over & waving everyone through. Viso had the move made until the last moment when the back end didn't clear Mieras car. It is unfortunate it happened, but it is not worthy of any major criticism or further action from the stewards or powers that be. Viso is no more a danger than many of his contemporaries on track. Miera needs to remember he has been the cause of a few incidents himself, as has pretty much every driver on track.

fugariracing
9th July 2008, 23:09
This was a racing incident nothing more. Vitor left the door wide open & EJ went through. Unfortunately his momentum & faster pace took him to the out side line of the track were the rear of his car clipped the front of Mieras on the same line.

To say Viso's move was dangerous is ridiculous. All overtaking manouvres carry some risk otherwise its called pulling over & waving everyone through. Viso had the move made until the last moment when the back end didn't clear Mieras car. It is unfortunate it happened, but it is not worthy of any major criticism or further action from the stewards or powers that be. Viso is no more a danger than many of his contemporaries on track. Miera needs to remember he has been the cause of a few incidents himself, as has pretty much every driver on track.

It definitely appeared as though Viso moved left, as would be the natural progression out of a right-hand corner, and Meira was there. Not the first time Meira has been taken out this season, remember Perera took him out at St. Pete and John Andretti did at Richmond.

And a number of drivers have griped about Viso's overagressiveness. Won't be seeing it this weekend though since he unfortunately contracted the mumps.