PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen

NickFalzone
1st July 2008, 04:33
I was hoping to go this year, but other plans got in the way. Anyone here going? Definitely am going to make the trip next year.

Still looking forward to watching it on ABC, this has to be considered the most competitive race yet this season. The CC teams finally have a feel of the dallara honda, and the points leaders are also the best IRLers on road courses. I can come up with at least 8 that have a legit shot at outright winning:

Dixon
Castroneves
Kanaan
Andretti
Rahal
Servia
Power
Wilson

And another 7 that have a reasonable shot at top 5:

Bernoldi
Viso
Patrick
Mutoh
Briscoe
Manning
Rice
Howard
Hunter-Reay

With over half of the races left on road and street, this weekend should give a good indication of how the rest of the season will play out. I wouldn't be surprised to see very aggressive driving and some of that taken off the track.

ykiki
1st July 2008, 05:10
Not a bad list. Wouldn't be surprised to see Junqueira with a shot at the top 5 as well.

underpowered
1st July 2008, 05:23
I'm with you

This is the race I have been waiting for... We can really get a look at the talent for the rest of the season...

Cant wait

NYHF
1st July 2008, 15:02
..........Anyone here going? .........

Heading up on Thursday around noon time and will be camping there for the weekend. I attend all the events (except WWNASCAR) every year and always camp for the weekends - camping is a big part of the weekend even though it always rains at some point over the three day time-frame. This will be my 3rd time in the last month there and I'm as excited about going as I was the first weekend of the year there. I've been going up there for over 40 years now and always look forward to it. Seeing as I live ~20 miles from the track, I can afford the gas to get there!

I agree with everyone here, I think it will be a very competitive race, but I think one of the "big three" drivers will win again. My guess? How can you go against Dixon?

maxmach
1st July 2008, 15:38
I'm thinking of going to the Glen, been to Long Beach many times, the best walking/viewing area end of the straight into turn one?, or where does the action usually happen?

bblocker68
1st July 2008, 15:55
Man, I'd love to see a race at the Glen.

I look for one of the big CC-3 to win: Power, Rahal, Wilson. I have a feeling Will is gonna turn some heads this week.

Chaparral66
2nd July 2008, 00:03
When is the race, Sat. or Sunday? Is the IRL going to race mostly Saturdays from now on?

icehammer97
2nd July 2008, 01:36
The race is Sunday at 3. Also for viewing into turn one is ok but you have to get grandstand seats to get a real good view. Going into the bus stop is good too. Last time I went (I forget what year it was the one with the rain where Cheaver hit Marco late in the race) I watched from Laces and saw many passes. My suggestion is to go to many places during different practices and see where you like best yourself.

Easy Drifter
2nd July 2008, 02:16
The top of the hill by the esses is pretty good. I used to try and get (sneak) into the old paddock club bldg. and watch from the roof the odd time I was a spectator. Long gone. 90% of the times I was there I was in the pits crewing.
Watched one GP from the control tower as a guest when I was involved with running the Cdn. GP

F1boat
2nd July 2008, 09:12
I wonder what will happen if the race is wet...

NYHF
2nd July 2008, 13:34
The race is Sunday at 3. Also for viewing into turn one is ok but you have to get grandstand seats to get a real good view. Going into the bus stop is good too. Last time I went (I forget what year it was the one with the rain where Cheaver hit Marco late in the race) I watched from Laces and saw many passes. My suggestion is to go to many places during different practices and see where you like best yourself.

Turn one, known as "The 90" has grandstand seats on the outside of the turn, and they are free for the weekend. The only seating you pay extra for are the Start/Finish & Pit Terrace seating areas.

The best place by far on the track IMO, is turn six. You have to take a small hike through the woods to get there, but it's well worth it. The dive downhill and into a 110 degree left-hander is an awsome sight at the speeds these guys carry there.

My three favorite spots are turn #6, the Ninety, and the entrance to the Inner Loop (Bus Stop). The "Toe" and the "Heel" of the boot are also worth checking out. Like someone said, use Friday and/or Sat. to check out all of the spots and then decide for yourself, then enjoy!

NYHF
2nd July 2008, 13:41
I wonder what will happen if the race is wet...

Not "if", but "when". Did you forget that we're talking Watkins Glen here?

;)

icehammer97
2nd July 2008, 19:39
I was wondering what other thought about Dunno racing here. I think, could be wrong, that this is her first start on a road course and she is constantly bad on ovals but had a road racing background before indycars. Anyone who maybe has seen her in other series on road courses think she could surprise anyone and actually not be one of if not the slowest person on the track?

fugariracing
2nd July 2008, 21:12
I was wondering what other thought about Dunno racing here. I think, could be wrong, that this is her first start on a road course and she is constantly bad on ovals but had a road racing background before indycars. Anyone who maybe has seen her in other series on road courses think she could surprise anyone and actually not be one of if not the slowest person on the track?

This is her first road race in an IndyCar. Yes, her background is in road racing, but having witnessed her in a number of Rolex DP races, it was always her co-driver that was most responsible for the team's better than subpar results. She usually started, fell down the order, pitted and had her co-driver do the rest.

Oh, she'll definitely be quicker than Marty and possibly the Vision boys since they are weak on road courses. But anything other than the bottom five would be a shock to me or most people.

The instant classic
2nd July 2008, 21:27
This is her first road race in an IndyCar. Yes, her background is in road racing, but having witnessed her in a number of Rolex DP races, it was always her co-driver that was most responsible for the team's better than subpar results. She usually started, fell down the order, pitted and had her co-driver do the rest.

Oh, she'll definitely be quicker than Marty and possibly the Vision boys since they are weak on road courses. But anything other than the bottom five would be a shock to me or most people.
i agree alot of what you say,
i don't think milka sholud be in indycar, but i will say shes doing good, only what 2 crashs this year? if that? shes doing not bad,,

fugariracing
2nd July 2008, 23:19
i agree alot of what you say,
i don't think milka sholud be in indycar, but i will say shes doing good, only what 2 crashs this year? if that? shes doing not bad,,

Good might be a bit too high praise, but doing better than last year's abysmal performance would be more accurate. She has crashed in Homestead race, was cut down at Indy by B.Lazier but otherwise stayed out of trouble all month there which is more than could be said of a lot of the field.

The only race so far this year where she has been woefully out of her depth was Iowa, crashing in practice and severely off the pace in about 25 race laps before paying a permanent visit to the pits.

The instant classic
3rd July 2008, 00:53
Good might be a bit too high praise, but doing better than last year's abysmal performance would be more accurate. She has crashed in Homestead race, was cut down at Indy by B.Lazier but otherwise stayed out of trouble all month there which is more than could be said of a lot of the field.

The only race so far this year where she has been woefully out of her depth was Iowa, crashing in practice and severely off the pace in about 25 race laps before paying a permanent visit to the pits.
first off i wolud like to thank you, cuz i am new here, i just found this site today, when i type in "indycar forums" on google, and its great that i can post my racing views here without being bash or resay things a 100 times, i find indycar.com talkback the fans there, read what they want to read,

i think your right on that one i may have got alittleto nice when i said milka is doing good, i for one anit a milka fan, i think it wolud help milka loads to have some indylight seat time under her belt, i really hate to see her out there, at track like indy and homestead, she sholud just stay with shortrack racing, where the speed are down,

Mad_Hatter
4th July 2008, 15:22
Anybody up?

Apparently FIL practice was interrupted by a deer being on-track. Shouldn't affect Indycar practice though.

Video Stream:
http://indy500.com/videoplayer.html?popOut=true

Timing:
http://scoring.indycar.com/2008/

SarahFan
4th July 2008, 15:59
I was hoping to go this year, but other plans got in the way. Anyone here going? Definitely am going to make the trip next year.

Still looking forward to watching it on ABC, this has to be considered the most competitive race yet this season. The CC teams finally have a feel of the dallara honda, and the points leaders are also the best IRLers on road courses. I can come up with at least 8 that have a legit shot at outright winning:

Dixon
Castroneves
Kanaan
Andretti
Rahal
Servia
Power
Wilson

And another 7 that have a reasonable shot at top 5:

Bernoldi
Viso
Patrick
Mutoh
Briscoe
Manning
Rice
Howard
Hunter-Reay

With over half of the races left on road and street, this weekend should give a good indication of how the rest of the season will play out. I wouldn't be surprised to see very aggressive driving and some of that taken off the track.

move briscoe up to the top list....and drop patrick of the other

Mad_Hatter
4th July 2008, 16:02
Actually this link works better for me. Less buffering from the smaller window.

http://indy500.com/videoplayer.html

garyshell
4th July 2008, 17:05
Milka Duno is a full nine seconds off pace. Ouch! Does the IRL need a 110% rule for qualifiers?

Gary

DavePI2
4th July 2008, 17:44
talk on indycar.com during practice with robby buhl sounded like there was a good chance milka wouldn't be in the car tomorrow and townsand would be getting a chance. Also interesting everyones favorite marty isn't there this weekend. Good to see him not racing , just too bad someone else isn't in the car instead of taking it back to the shop. Wish I could go to this race, but will see everyone at midohio.

david

DrDomm
4th July 2008, 22:32
I'm going up Sunday...free ticket (my brother-in-law works for ESPN) and I live a little over an hour away. I think I've got an old Champcar hat to wear.

nigelred5
4th July 2008, 23:48
Man I wish I could make it, but It's our biggest event weekend of the year and 4th of July weekend is permanently off the table for me. I really hope this year's attendance is up dramatically so The Glen stays on the schedule. I waited 30 years hoping to see Champcars at the Glen again. I haven't been there since F1 left. Hopefully next year I can find a way to make it.