PDA

View Full Version : Any Comments on Gossage's Negotiation Deal

Rogelio
1st July 2008, 00:43
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/news/story?id=3466100

Personally, I would love to see the ICS end the series in Las Vegas. The weather is great in October and not to mention its a "fun" city. There is no reason why we should move the Surfers race. We can accomodate our schedule to their needs.

The only problem I have with Gossage was the following remark. "You would think [the IRL] would appreciate what we're doing in Texas, Infineon and Kentucky and want to add two major speedways to that," Gossage said. Wow! Is he that conceeded or am I misintrepreting his quote. Also, the ESPN writer should remember that the ICS is not the IRL anymore.

I personally believe that for the ICS to succeed in this NASCAR dominated era, that the series will be better served trying to "avoid" the markets that are dominated by NASCAR. The Richmond crowd looked shabby on tv. I am not saying that we should not run on their tracks. However, the ICS needs to invest/reinvest in the markets that are not dominated by NASCAR such as: Portland and Mexico. Texas has proved to be a successful race, but I strongly question some of the other tracks that have dismal crowds such as: Homestead, Richmond.

Personally, I think Gossage is looking out for his best interest not the ICS.

LTalbot
1st July 2008, 01:07
It can still get pretty hot in October, I'd prefer to run in Las Vegas in the Spring. Why not the season opener in March?

ykiki
1st July 2008, 05:15
I wouldn't mind seeing the season end in Vegas as well. It can be a night race if heat is still a problem. You can follow it up with the awards banquet in Vegas as well.

I used to enjoy seeing the season end with the 500-miler in California. If IndyCars aren't going back there, then why not finish with 500 in Vegas?

Spiderman
1st July 2008, 12:55
Why should it be a problem having Surfer's in the frist half of october and then race Las Vegas a week or two after Surfer's...

garyshell
1st July 2008, 13:49
Why should it be a problem having Surfer's in the frist half of october and then race Las Vegas a week or two after Surfer's...

Three letters, NFL. The networks do not want to go head to head against them on a Sunday broadcast.

Gary

Spiderman
1st July 2008, 13:53
Three letters, NFL. The networks do not want to go head to head against them on a Sunday broadcast.

Gary

If they show the race live it must be late saturday night...

BenRoethig
1st July 2008, 14:44

Gary

If they could install lights at Vegas a late october date with would work.

garyshell
1st July 2008, 14:45
But haven't the ICS and the networks said time and again that they want the season to be over before football kicks into high gear?

Gary

Spiderman
1st July 2008, 15:13
If they could install lights at Vegas a late october date with would work.
ChampCar already had a nightrace there.

weeflyonthewall
1st July 2008, 17:30
ICS actually pays attention to other sports markets?

garyshell
1st July 2008, 18:03
ICS actually pays attention to other sports markets?

They and their broadcast partners certainly do.

Gary

dataman1
1st July 2008, 18:43
Lights are already at the oval track. Both CCWS and Craftsman Trucks have run at night.

How about the season finale on a Saturday night? (Yes, I know about the Chicago deal, but that deal will end sometime.) I would think the final race in Vegas would sell seats and would please the TV partners, even against the NFL. What great possibilities for the Season Awards Banquet.

BobGarage
1st July 2008, 18:50
What great possibilities for the Season Awards Banquet.

well this years awards banquet has already been moved to vegas. maybe forward planning in anticipation of a vegas finale next year?

ykiki
1st July 2008, 18:54
I'm pretty sure the ESPN family of networks carries NCAA football well into the evening on Saturday - including games at Midnight ET/9:00 PM PT. I know the NFL is the big kid on the block, but I'm sure there's room for IndyCars on ABC when Fox & CBS have the NFL - perhaps a Sunday in October when NASCAR isn't on ABC (Lowe's Sat night race).

Hoss Ghoul
2nd July 2008, 13:21
An October Saturday night Las Vegas series finale would be great. It has to be 500 miles though. This is American open wheel racing, an oval should decide the championship(if it comes to that), and a 300 mile race is lacking...

I generally find myself in the middle when it comes to ovals vs road courses, but a night race at a fast track for the championship is a no brainer.

indycool
2nd July 2008, 16:38
First of all, Rogelio, who else should Gossage look out for in a negotiation but who he represents?

Second, Gary is right on. TV strategy is the reason ICS now ends its season in September, before football gets into full swing -- AND the World Series AND The Chase along with the NFL and college football. That started within the schedule for that reason two years ago.

Third, it acts like Vegas is unlikely to get a second Cup date and that's one reason SMI wants to build another show there.

IMO, as things evolve over the next few years, ovals with one Cup race are going to try to maximize their facilities and ICS for another date is a way to do that, promote that, and build toward increased profitability. With SMI and ISC, to grow means even with tracks with TWO Cup dates might get an ICS race if the deal is right.

Rogelio
3rd July 2008, 01:46
First of all, Rogelio, who else should Gossage look out for in a negotiation but who he represents?

The problem I have with Gossage is his apparent arrogance that he is doing the ICS a favor and that the series should be fortunate that he is working to make a deal for them. Hey, the ICS also needs to look out for their best interests as well. Would an ICS response that Gossage/SMI should be fortunate that we are dealing with their tracks be well received by Gossage/SMI? My guess is probably not.