PDA

View Full Version : What is a "cross-over" vehicle

harvick#1
25th January 2007, 23:18
is it just a new version of the SUV, if you've seen those stupid FORD Edge commercials, they are but ugly.

janneppi
26th January 2007, 07:56
It's a compilation Ford that has off-road abilities from a Galaxy, handels on roads like a Explorer and has the indoors space of a Fiesta. ;)

jim mcglinchey
26th January 2007, 08:31
mmm, sounds like the sales success in the making that Ford need to pull them back from their five and a half billion dollar loss last year.

Hazell B
26th January 2007, 14:51
I've heard the Freelander described as cross over.

Always thought it meant it could cross over a dry frield but not back again after it's rained :p :

Good old marketing people - always on the look out for a new buzz word :rolleyes:

luvracin
26th January 2007, 18:18
is it just a new version of the SUV, if you've seen those stupid FORD Edge commercials, they are but ugly.

Crossover vehicle is from my understanding a halfway step between a sedan and an SUV. Therefore the Cadillac SRX, the Ford Freestyle and Territory are obvious examples.

I've also heard them call the Ford Edge a crossover. I disagree(with them). I thought it should be classed as a CUV - Compact Utility Vehicle.

Then again, Ford just broke a record for losing money so they must know something I don't.... :crazy:

inimitablestoo
26th January 2007, 19:45
Essentially, a crossover vehicle is a car which combines elements from two different types of existing car without being remotely as good as either of them. Thus, to try and avoid comparison, the manufacturer pretends it's invented a new niche and proclaims it a crossover.

Examples: Volvo XC70 (neither as good an estate as the V70 nor as good a 4x4 as the XC90), Vauxhall/Opel Signum (they say it's an executive/estate/MPV hybrid [tribrid?] but really it's just a big, dumpy Vectra) and another little Ford, the Fusion (claimed to be an all new "urban utility vehicle" when launched, but in reality a Fiesta with a bit more headroom, ungainly looks and an inflated price)

johnski
30th January 2007, 09:13
Essentially, a crossover vehicle is a car which combines elements from two different types of existing car without being remotely as good as either of them. Thus, to try and avoid comparison, the manufacturer pretends it's invented a new niche and proclaims it a crossover.

Examples: Volvo XC70 (neither as good an estate as the V70 nor as good a 4x4 as the XC90), Vauxhall/Opel Signum (they say it's an executive/estate/MPV hybrid [tribrid?] but really it's just a big, dumpy Vectra) and another little Ford, the Fusion (claimed to be an all new "urban utility vehicle" when launched, but in reality a Fiesta with a bit more headroom, ungainly looks and an inflated price)

Nice spoken my friend. i totaly agree with you.. nice explanation

AndyRAC
30th January 2007, 11:29
Nice spoken my friend. i totaly agree with you.. nice explanation

Never understood the Fusion, it should 've been 4WD. But to have a car that size and FWD, doesn't make sense.

Tomski
30th January 2007, 11:58
Crossover Vehicle=Sales Bullsh*t

Mark
30th January 2007, 12:19
A crossover is something you really don't want. It usually refers to when a car has a crash, and crosses over the central reservation on a motorway and ends up in the opposing carriageway, it's one of the worst things which can happen :s

luvracin
30th January 2007, 18:10
Never understood the Fusion, it should 've been 4WD. But to have a car that size and FWD, doesn't make sense.

There's too many Fusions....

Ford USA :

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/?v=html

Ford UK :

http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/fusion/-/fus_0508_gallery/-/-/-/120424

Mark
31st January 2007, 07:51
Nobody else understands the Fusion, which is why it's one of the worst selling models in the Ford range.

Soon it will be discontinued, when the new Fiesta appears in 2008 it will be accompanied by a larger Fiesta called the B-MAX.

BDunnell
31st January 2007, 09:51
Worse still was that awful Rover 200 that was made to look like an off-roader. I forget its name.

inimitablestoo
31st January 2007, 20:02
The Streetwise! For some reason I find inexplicable even now, I quite liked the look of it :s