PDA

View Full Version : PDA Recommendations?

J4MIE
29th June 2008, 17:33
Ok so after sorting out my mobile phone troubles now I need to also carry something with me that I can browse the interweb on, as I spend 3 hours a day on a bus midweek that has free Wi-Fi.

My brother had some sort of HP thing a few years ago that I thought was pretty good but as I've never looked into them before I have no idea about them :s All I know is that I need it to have Wi-Fi and easy way of connecting to the internet :D Also if there are cheap ones on ebay it would be better too :p :

Any ideas? :)

MJW
29th June 2008, 17:44
Get a laptop, Ive had a few pdas, dating from early 2000's and latest was an old HP IPAQ, they lived in my drawer for a while before I gave them away. OK it may suit some people by for me its my phone and a laptop. I wont every want another PDA thingy.

J4MIE
29th June 2008, 18:02
I don't want to have to carry a laptop around with me at the moment :) Might have to look into a more expensive mobile, like the W960 or something :s

ioan
29th June 2008, 19:00
Buy an ETEN or HTC smartphone or similar, it has Wifi connection capabilities too, comes with the latest Mobile Windows OS and other related applications.
And it costs a fraction of a Nokia or SonyEricsson with the same capabilities.
Almost forgot, GPS is also included. :)

MJW
29th June 2008, 20:58
Yes - smartfone is a good option, I think its much better than a PDA.

Daniel
29th June 2008, 21:17
Why not look at an Asus eee PC J4mie? It's a laptop but it's small and not quite so bulky and you're not going to have to look at the internet on a 2" screen at least :) Not a very good phone though :p

Mark
30th June 2008, 08:16
It really depends on what sort of 'experience' you want from your interwebbyness. Any phone equipped with WiFi will get you onto the internet and if you just want to browse this forum using its mobile interface then that is all you will need. The advantage of something like that is of course that it is your phone too, so you only need to carry one device.

If you are looking for something seperate try the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, despite being a Nokia it isn't a phone it's just for browsing the internet.

J4MIE
30th June 2008, 09:57
It really depends on what sort of 'experience' you want from your interwebbyness. Any phone equipped with WiFi will get you onto the internet and if you just want to browse this forum using its mobile interface then that is all you will need. The advantage of something like that is of course that it is your phone too, so you only need to carry one device.

Yes I'd prefer just the one device, and I'd just use it for general web browsing, checking the news etc and maybe making the odd post or two, to kill 3 hours a day sitting on a bus. However I would prefer a mobile that lets me ditch myt mp3 player also and gives me a semi decent camera, cos I can never be bothered carring my nikon around with me and often spot what I think would be nice photos but don't have a camera (I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the camera on my current nokia because it isn't very good). So Pino's one fits the bill except it doesn't have Wi-Fi :(

ioan
30th June 2008, 16:30
Yes I'd prefer just the one device, and I'd just use it for general web browsing, checking the news etc and maybe making the odd post or two, to kill 3 hours a day sitting on a bus. However I would prefer a mobile that lets me ditch myt mp3 player also and gives me a semi decent camera, cos I can never be bothered carring my nikon around with me and often spot what I think would be nice photos but don't have a camera (I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the camera on my current nokia because it isn't very good). So Pino's one fits the bill except it doesn't have Wi-Fi :(

I tell you get an ETEN or HTC smartphone, it isn't very expensive (like Nokia and co), has WiFi, GPS and a camera, plus some of them come with a 640x480 resolution screen.

Mark
30th June 2008, 20:31
I recommend the Nokia N78 it is just new out. WiFi good camera and a decent os.

Erki
30th June 2008, 20:32
Thanks, ioan, for your recommendations. I'm also half-looking for a "smarter" phone, and more mobile computer. :p

Mark
30th June 2008, 20:44
I have got a semi functional S730 for sale. Good price :p

TMorel
30th June 2008, 20:48
The HTC Diamond fits the bill apart from the cost factor.

still a lovely bit of kit

wacked
30th June 2008, 21:33
im using the Nokia N95, pretty happy with it, been using the Wi-Fi, its got a 5MP camera, takes some good pictures.. also used the GPS.. pretty happy with the phone overall.. the N95 8GB has a faster processor and a Xenon Flash, the N82 is there as a non-slide, dont know much about the N78 yet..

if u looking for a PDA, like everyone been saying the HTC's are really good, i have one of those too.. really good PDA, and yeah the HP ipaq's are real good too...

Erki
30th June 2008, 21:41
How do you type a message/post without a full blown keyboard? I've only done minimal texting and thus not too used to just the numeric keyboard. Whenever I try to use Messenger on my phone, I just give up.. too slow.
Would it be better with a touch screen and a stylus/thumb? And wouldn't a touch screen be much more fragile?

ioan
30th June 2008, 22:06
How do you type a message/post without a full blown keyboard? I've only done minimal texting and thus not too used to just the numeric keyboard. Whenever I try to use Messenger on my phone, I just give up.. too slow.
Would it be better with a touch screen and a stylus/thumb? And wouldn't a touch screen be much more fragile?

Nowadays PDAs and Smartphones have full blown keyboards! ;)

Mark
1st July 2008, 07:44
Nowadays PDAs and Smartphones have full blown keyboards! ;)

The S730 is a good example ;)

If you want to do browsing then it's not really needed, but for writing posts etc then it's a must :D

Daniel
1st July 2008, 07:46
I write posts with a phone :) With predictive text I can write quite quickly.

janneppi
1st July 2008, 08:09
I never adopted the use of predictive text, maybe I should as I seem to use putty/IRC through my phone and I'm really slow at typing with my thumb.
I'd really like to get the N810, fortunately I can't justify the cost to myself so my bank account is safe. :)

Mark
1st July 2008, 08:18
I never adopted the use of predictive text,

Why not? I often still see people writing out texts o n e c h a r a c t e r a t a t i m e and wonder why they bother?!

janneppi
1st July 2008, 08:22
Because I almost never wrote long text messages, at best it was along the lines of zip klo 12:15? and then ok when discussing where and when to go and have lunch with my mates. :)

I think I've only once written a +160 character message. :p :

J4MIE
1st July 2008, 10:46
You are so 20th Century janneppi :p : Predictive text is excellent and I think very clever :up: But I wish I could set my nokia to have a certain order of some words which I don't use maybe the first couple of words very often then have to go through to the 3rd or 4th word :hmph:

I have just seen the price of a PAYG W960i.....I think I will do without WiFi for a while longer :s

Erki
1st July 2008, 11:28
I have got a semi functional S730 for sale. Good price :p

Why semi? Only half the keys on the keyboard? :p

Mark
1st July 2008, 12:14
The D-pad on the front, the 'down' key doesn't work. Apart from that it's all fine.