PDA

View Full Version : New points sytem for 2009

FIA
29th June 2008, 15:48
Is there going to be a new points system in Formula 1 next year?

Possibly, 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

52Paddy
29th June 2008, 23:10
Have you heard that there might be or is this just a random thought you've got?

I really wish the FIA stopped changing rules so often. It's getting very irritating and making the sport a little harder to follow. :rolleyes:

555-04Q2
30th June 2008, 09:50

Why you ask :?: :confused:

SGWilko
30th June 2008, 10:05
Why you ask :?: :confused:

Inquisitive he is! :p :

ArrowsFA1
30th June 2008, 12:20
Being FIA he should know :p

555-04Q2
30th June 2008, 12:29
Being FIA he should know :p

Well there's the problem right there :D

gravity
30th June 2008, 14:15
I haven't heard anything about a change in points system. And I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned, considering the drivers have to pay a penalty fee per point they score.

inimitablestoo
30th June 2008, 19:55
Dear Spanky,

You had a perfectly good points system that was used for the World Rally Championship (amongst others) until 1996. It awarded points 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1. The gaps were sensible and awarded the right amounts to the top finishers. Awarding the top ten also makes sense when, these days, most of the field finishes a Grand Prix. Please consider reinstating this points system for Formula 1's use and ditching the current one, which doesn't really work.

Yours,
Some bloke who posts stuff on t'internet

ioan
30th June 2008, 21:54
Dear Spanky,

You had a perfectly good points system that was used for the World Rally Championship (amongst others) until 1996. It awarded points 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1. The gaps were sensible and awarded the right amounts to the top finishers. Awarding the top ten also makes sense when, these days, most of the field finishes a Grand Prix. Please consider reinstating this points system for Formula 1's use and ditching the current one, which doesn't really work.

Yours,

:up:

yodasarmpit
30th June 2008, 23:19

I have no idea, but I would endorse a points system that was weighted more to the winner such as what you have suggested.

wmcot
1st July 2008, 08:01
I think F1 should adopt NASCAR's point system which pays for laps lead, pole, fastest lap, prettiest colors on the car, nicest driver, most sponsor logos...

It looks more impressive if the WDC has a couple of thousand points at the end of the season! :)

52Paddy
1st July 2008, 13:23
It looks more impressive if the WDC has a couple of thousand points at the end of the season! :)

No way! I've tried following NASCAR a few times and the points gaps between drivers are too hard to follow. Keep it simple, less is more! :up: [not saying that we should award winners with 0 points though :p : ]

elinagr
1st July 2008, 16:51
mpoulsits

Bezza
1st July 2008, 17:44
10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 was perfect. F1 is the pinnacle, 7th place is not an achievement so you should not get points for it.

I can cope with 12, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 because he gives more incentive for winning, but anything like the NASCAR points system is just a joke.

keysersoze
1st July 2008, 20:24
IMO, there should be three priorities, in this order:

1) winning
2) being on the podium
3) finishing in the top eight

The bottom five on that list should receive one additional point for each place gained, as an incentive to keep pushing. Therefore,

8th: 1 point
7th: 2 points
6th: 3 points
5th: 4 points
4th: 5 points

Getting on the podium should be a leap in prestige as well as points, so I suggest TWO. Therefore,

3rd: 7 points

A runner-up position should be yet another leap in prestige and points, so I suggest THREE. Therefore,

2nd: 10 points

Winning, emblematic of the most prestige, should include a corresponding (and most significant) leap in points, so I suggest FIVE. Therefore,

1st: 15 points

15-10-7-5-4-3-2-1

Jag_Warrior
1st July 2008, 20:52
Dear Spanky,

Yours,

Spanky :D :p : :D

That was my laugh out loud moment for the day. Thanks!

mattlamb
2nd July 2008, 06:58
I think poibts should be awarded for pole position. That's certainly more of an achievement than finishing seventh!

10-6-4-3-2-1 for finishing position and 2 points for pole sounds about right to me.

I also wish they would get rid of carrying race-fuel in qualifying. Make it a test of outright speed like it always used to be - we would then see who really are the qualifying masters (like Ayrton Senna in the past).

call_me_andrew
2nd July 2008, 07:20
I tried calculating F1 point standings with NASCAR's system a few years ago.

While the results at the top were very similar, having less starters really screws things up. But I must admit it does make it easier to spot talent and bad drivers when everyone scores points.

I also tried scoring NASCAR with the F1 system. Results were less than impressive.

This year I created a radically different point system for scoring NASCAR and have been very pleased with it.

gravity
2nd July 2008, 11:46
Adding bonus points for fastest lap, most laps led and pole position would be interesting. Then drop the points system to what it was 9,6,4,3,2,1
A dominant driver for the weekend (with pole, fastest lap, most laps led and a win) would score 12 points. It would also compensate for a driver who was dominant over the weekend, and has a mechanical breakdown in the last few laps.

Knock-on
2nd July 2008, 12:47
Adding bonus points for fastest lap, most laps led and pole position would be interesting. Then drop the points system to what it was 9,6,4,3,2,1
A dominant driver for the weekend (with pole, fastest lap, most laps led and a win) would score 12 points. It would also compensate for a driver who was dominant over the weekend, and has a mechanical breakdown in the last few laps.

And an additional point for the best donut with a wild point for smartest team and extra point for best pit girl.

or not :D

SGWilko
2nd July 2008, 12:48
And an additional point for the best donut with a wild point for smartest team and extra point for best pit girl.

or not :D

Oh, and 10 points per race for 'best kept Afro'.

That might help a bit!!! :D ;)

Tazio
2nd July 2008, 13:38
And one point for Fred each race for just showing up :p :

jens
2nd July 2008, 15:45
The discussion about changing points system takes place on several occasions every year. I'm fine with current system, giving 12 instead of 10 sounds good too.

But what I certainly don't like to see, are the extra points for pole or FL, what are proposed every time points system is discussed.

What should ultimately count, is the final result of the Grand Prix Sunday's race. Qualifying was created just because somehow starting grid had to be determined - everyone can't start side-by-side. And determining starting grid by lap-times of session(s) is better than by drawing lots like it was done in the beginning?

In modern F1 qualifying plays important role in race results anyway, I'd say even too important role. Most of the race winners start from poles. Why should be an extra point awarded for a pole as starting from pole is an extremely important advantage in achieving a great race result anyway?

And fastest lap. Well sorry. What should count, is that how one drives a full race distance - this is what Grand Prix and racing is about. Why should someone in a top car, who drives in last position, get a point, after he has changed tyres a couple of laps before the end. He failed in the race and doesn't deserve any points. Simple as that.

A Formula One Grand Prix is about driving fast for one and half an hour and ~60-70 laps, not just one fast lap. One fast lap should not be awarded. Wonder, when will someone propose to award the fastest pitstop... and other fastest things. You know, racing well for a full race distance means nothing, just do something well for a moment and you'll get points. :rolleyes:

inimitablestoo
2nd July 2008, 19:58
I don't mind bonus points, but I just don't think they are in line with F1 philosophy, somehow (yes, I am aware they awarded a point for fastest lap in the early days). And I certainly don't like the possibility of the race winner scoring fewer points than someone who finishes second and bags all the bonuses. If there ever was to be a bonus point reintroduced, I'd make it just the one, and I'm not sure whether I'd make it for pole position or fastest lap. There is also the "most laps led" that some other series use, but in F1 that tends to be the winner as well, so I wouldn't use it.

In full agreement with the race fuel loads in qualifying situation too - everyone cottoned onto the best strategies fairly early on after its introduction, and it hasn't really done much to improve the racing. In fact, I'd ask if there's anyone out there who actually likes it?

Mark
2nd July 2008, 20:31
Absolutely right. So much so that it makes no difference therefore we might as well not have it!

jens
3rd July 2008, 18:28
I agree that qualifying with race fuel loads makes GP even more boring. My reasoning for this is that with such rules top drivers are basically on similar strategies. To get a good grid position, it is needed to qualify with lighter fuel load and make a shorter first stint in the race, hence 1-stop strategy is basically out of question. Also 3 stops on most circuits are a bit too much, so all the front runners have a 2-stop strategy (Lewis in Turkey at 3 was a rare exception and even this due to tyre wear caused by his driving style) - also drivers pit in the race only within 1-2 laps as a result of finding a balance between good qualifying and optimal race strategy.

IMO the "pit-battles" during Häkkinen vs Schumacher era were far more interesting. Often we saw one driver opting for a 1-stop strategy and the other for a 2-stop strategy, which created an exciting battle, whose strategy would pay off better. Nowadays with almost identical strategies the one, who runs in front, is even less vulnerable, than he was in the past. A driver can't opt for a 1-stop strategy as he'll struggle badly in qualifying and his race will be lost. If drivers and teams can choose strategies before the race, we would definetely see a lot more variety in strategies.

Qualifying is one more example, how FIA tries to make F1 more interesting with artificial methods, but this actually makes the show worse. So a note to FIA: just give more 'freedom' to competitors - this is the best way to get excitement!

gravity
3rd July 2008, 21:08
I think the quali rules were changed to force some action onto the roads throughout the whole session. Remember the days of 1hour free quali session and only one or two teams would go out for the first 40mins. Bernie (or whoever benefits from viewer count) had a big part in changing the quali rules to try make it exciting.
Another reason for the change might have been to slow MS down in racking up the poles and taking that record as fast as he was taking the others for himself. If u think about it, a lot of rule changes were made to prevent the Ferrari/MS runaway train from boring the viewers to sleep.

Whyzars
3rd July 2008, 22:31

That would bring a whole new variable in to play if they ever implemented a 2kg handicap for each WDC point scored.

With a couple of thousand points being awarded there'd be a place for diesels in F1 after all... :crazy:

mattlamb
5th July 2008, 16:37
Getting pole positions was if I remember never one of Michael Schumacher's strong points. Ayrton Senna was better at it - and Mika Hakkinen probably was too.

cosmicpanda
5th July 2008, 16:56
I remember seeing somewhere an interesting idea that I think could make sense, although it'll never happen; reverse points. Instead of getting 10 points for winning, the person who wins gets nothing, while the person who comes second gets, say, 2, the person in third gets 3, in fourth gets 4 and so on all the way through the field. The champion would be the person with the least points at the end of the year.

It's a bit tricky to apply this to DNFs; perhaps they should get an amount of points equal to that remaining in the race, plus the number of finishers or something.

The pros of this system are that instead of rewarding success it punishes failure, which therefore means that every person on the grid can score points without it becoming farcial, which makes the final championship classification much more meaningful. It would also distinguish whichever series used it from the others who use the normal system of awarding points to the winner. Unfortunately, though, it might just be a bit confusing to casual fans (who probably don't care very much about point systems anyway).

jso1985
7th July 2008, 04:40
Dear Spanky,

Yours,

as I once heard... everything is relative in the universe... a bigger gap doesn't mean a bigger award!

with the current point-system the second placed driver gets 80% of the points the winner gets while with the old WRC system the second placed driver gets 75% of the points the winner gets... now tell me, is that a big change?

anyway whatever they do, please don't introduce NASCAR style points system... where you get a zillion points for a win, a thousand points for showing up and bonuses points for eveything! let's keep it simple

Shifter
7th July 2008, 05:31
I don't particularily care for the extra points like in GP2. I also happen to like the 10 points for first, it just fits so nicely that you can easily mentally caulculate stuff for seasons-end projections. The real problem is the 2 point gap from winning to second place. So, the simple solution is 10-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. If winning is the most important thing, than what does it matter if this system doesn't leave a gap point between 2nd and 3rd? It clearly gives the advantage to the winner, and everybody else is fighting for their place in the 7-point string.

Whyzars
8th July 2008, 00:39
...If winning is the most important thing, than what does it matter if this system doesn't leave a gap point between 2nd and 3rd?

I don't think winning is the most important thing. Second place is as good as winning until a driver is two points down in the final race of the season.

I hate the thought of stratospheric point totals but it is the only way I can see that any manipulation of team/driver thought processes can be introduced into the mix. The points for each race would need to start at 50 or even 100 for winning and work down to 1 point for last place finisher. This is the only way that winning, and finishing as high as possible, can be rewarded, and failing to finish is severely penalised - if that is what the organisers want to achieve.

Can a correctly balanced point system see drivers thinking aggressively and strategically?

:)