PDA

View Full Version : McLaren's stupidity

mstillhere
28th June 2008, 17:35
Based in the last couple of years it seems to me that McLaren's way in projecting their car is..well...STUPID!!
Let me explain. It looks like they are very strong in what we/they call the slow tracks (Monaco, Montreal, Budapest(?). In the faster tracks, McLaren seems instead to suffer (Barcelona, Magny Cours, Silverstone, etc..). Since there more fast tracks than slow ones, we all know what the result would be.
What I wonder is simply: why McLaren does that? What are their hopes to win a world championship when they design a car that's supposed to win just a couple of races? Hoping that the Ferraris break down? Trying to win through some "funny business"?. I have no clue.
Im y opinion, it's time for McLaren to start over, like Ferrari did. New management (Ron goes). New engineers. New ethics. And last but not least a car that does super well on both slow and fast tracks. And who knows?, better drivers.

gloomyDAY
28th June 2008, 17:45
http://ndn.newsweek.com/media/40/bill-clinton-NA03-vl-vertical.jpg

ANYMORE McLAREN BASHING THREADS TODAY?

gloomyDAY
28th June 2008, 17:52
What's with the title you jerk?

I don't have the indecency to post ludicrous descriptions against Ferrari. I'm in the McLaren boat, but I like Ferrari and both of their drivers. Why the animosity?

Maybe you should learn that a little respect goes a long way.

ioan
28th June 2008, 18:13
What's with the title you jerk?

Why are you insulting him?!

jens
28th June 2008, 18:32
Stupid? McLaren almost won the title last year. :p : And they are competing for this this year. I guess most of the teams on the grid are even more stupid as they are unable to compete for race wins on any kind of circuits. ;)

mstillhere
28th June 2008, 22:58
Stupid? McLaren almost won the title last year. :p : And they are competing for this this year. I guess most of the teams on the grid are even more stupid as they are unable to compete for race wins on any kind of circuits. ;)

I am sorry Jens, but the word "almost" never got anything to anybody.

ShiftingGears
29th June 2008, 00:41
I am sorry Jens, but the word "almost" never got anything to anybody.

It got them wins and second places in championships. Which is damnside more than most of the other teams. And that was Jens' point.

mstillhere
29th June 2008, 03:06
It got them wins and second places in championships. Which is damnside more than most of the other teams. And that was Jens' point.

Are you kidding? They did not ALMOST win. They won, which as we both know is not the same thing. Last year they almost won too. Did they win? Does it matter if you almost won? Not really.
But this not my point anyway. My point can be read in my initial post.

ShiftingGears
29th June 2008, 03:21
Are you kidding? They did not ALMOST win.
http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2007/

My point can be read in my initial post.

Oh it's so simple now! All McLaren had to do all these years was build the best car on the grid! I'm sure they never looked at it that way before. Maybe you should become an engineer so teams will vie for your brilliant advice.

DezinerPaul
29th June 2008, 05:26
Based in the last couple of years it seems to me that McLaren's way in projecting their car is..well...STUPID!!
Let me explain. It looks like they are very strong in what we/they call the slow tracks (Monaco, Montreal, Budapest(?). In the faster tracks, McLaren seems instead to suffer (Barcelona, Magny Cours, Silverstone, etc..). Since there more fast tracks than slow ones, we all know what the result would be.
What I wonder is simply: why McLaren does that? What are their hopes to win a world championship when they design a car that's supposed to win just a couple of races? Hoping that the Ferraris break down? Trying to win through some "funny business"?. I have no clue.
Im y opinion, it's time for McLaren to start over, like Ferrari did. New management (Ron goes). New engineers. New ethics. And last but not least a car that does super well on both slow and fast tracks. And who knows?, better drivers.

On the face of things, your post makes sense. However, a closer look would suggest that you have your facts a little off. Silverstone has always been a fast track, last year at Monza, McLaren had a 1/2. If you look a little coser, you will see that they have posted fastest laps or near to them on almost all the tracks. The fact is that it is not the car, it is the drivers and McLaren is sadly lacking is any quality in the cockpit!

wedge
29th June 2008, 13:01

Because of the 2009 technical regs.

For most teams this year's chassis are an evolution of last years.

Not to mention the FIA are scrutinising the McLarens aren't as close in likeness to the Ferraris.

And its not as if Ferrari have the perfect package either. They could do with a more consistant top driver who doesn't make a habit of making rookie errors and someone on pit wall who can call strategies double quick time.

yodasarmpit
29th June 2008, 13:49

Well when you put it like that, the stupidity of McLaren becomes abundantly clear.
It turns out all they had to do was make a faster car, I really don't know why they didn't think of that.
I really think you may be onto something mstillhere, lets just hope Force India don't find out about this tactic.

Sleeper
29th June 2008, 14:04
Considering the McLaren was a match for the Ferrari at Turkey, I dont think they have much trouble with fast tracks.

DezinerPaul
29th June 2008, 14:05
Considering the McLaren was a match for the Ferrari at Turkey, I dont think they have much trouble with fast tracks.

I agree!

mstillhere
29th June 2008, 15:49

Not having MUCH trouble is already a reason why not to win. I am not saying that McLaren is a slow car. I am saying that it is slower. And being slower (not slow) does not get you to win a world championship. Again, it is a matter of design, of the racing phylosophy around the project, of the choices made by the team. In other words a project that wants this car to excell in certain tracks (the slower ones) and to suffer in the faster ones. As far as the new regulations go, it only benifitted McLAren. We all know where McLaren was before they imposed the new regulations, slowing and even stopping all developments (of Ferrari :( )to help the poorer teams. But that's an other story.

Valve Bounce
29th June 2008, 23:32
Not having MUCH trouble is already a reason why not to win. I am not saying that McLaren is a slow car. I am saying that it is slower. And being slower (not slow) does not get you to win a world championship. Again, it is a matter of design, of the racing phylosophy around the project, of the choices made by the team. In other words a project that wants this car to excell in certain tracks (the slower ones) and to suffer in the faster ones. As far as the new regulations go, it only benifitted McLAren. We all know where McLaren was before they imposed the new regulations, slowing and even stopping all developments (of Ferrari :( )to help the poorer teams. But that's an other story.

Somebody stopped the Ferrari e-mails, I bet!!

mstillhere
30th June 2008, 01:00
Somebody stopped the Ferrari e-mails, I bet!!

:)

F1boat
30th June 2008, 18:50
After the bog fine, the are doing OK.

Tazio
30th June 2008, 20:47
I'd say that McLaren are doing what they believe is in their best interest to win both championships!
IMHO they are game, and to suggest they are not leading either championship
through lack of the right kind of effort is extremely presumptuous!

cosmicpanda
30th June 2008, 21:01
On the face of things, your post makes sense. However, a closer look would suggest that you have your facts a little off. Silverstone has always been a fast track, last year at Monza, McLaren had a 1/2. If you look a little coser, you will see that they have posted fastest laps or near to them on almost all the tracks. The fact is that it is not the car, it is the drivers and McLaren is sadly lacking is any quality in the cockpit!

Are you serious?

First you say how fast the drivers have been, as they have posted fastest or close to it laps at every circuit.

And then you say the drivers are slow!

What do the drivers do then, if they're not making these fastest laps?

DezinerPaul
1st July 2008, 02:28
Are you serious?

First you say how fast the drivers have been, as they have posted fastest or close to it laps at every circuit.

And then you say the drivers are slow!

What do the drivers do then, if they're not making these fastest laps?

What I am saying is that the cars are fast enough, the weakness is in the drivers!

mstillhere
1st July 2008, 05:35
What I am saying is that the cars are fast enough, the weakness is in the drivers!

you know, you might have a point, there. Although, still in my opinion, it's the SIZE, the aerodinamics of the car that slow it down, just enough to really not being able to have a clear cut over the Ferraris on any track.
I know they lost a lot of engineers, designers, and so on in the recent past. So, i think they should start from here and previously said, restructure the whole team, from bottom up and you go from there..

Valve Bounce
1st July 2008, 06:22
I think they lost some guy called Stepney.

Big Ben
1st July 2008, 10:47
I agree... they should design faster cars capable of winning all races... :laugh:

You are right when you say their results are based on poor decisions but it has nothing to do with the design of the car. If they had chosen the right dude to fight for the wdc last year they would have won at least 1 title. I have no doubt about that.

leopard
1st July 2008, 11:30
I have no doubt that they chose the right driver last year, but remains in my doubt whether he was keen on winning the title. :)