PDA

View Full Version : Junk offers for your shares

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 02:46
Just received an offer for some of my blue chip shares from some company called Hassle Free Share Sales in South Melbourne.

The have made a very 'generous' off for $2.200.00 for a parcel of my shares which have a market value of $3,400.00.

These ba$tards target people with small parcels of blue chip shares and it is very interesting how many older pensioners are sucked into selling their shares to them at below market rates.

The have found a loophole in the law which covers them if they advise recipients of this junk offer, ob a second page, the real market value of their shares.

So if you do have elderly relatives who have recently received such offers, make sure you arn them of the scam.

I am using their junk mail to print blank Sudoku formats on the reverse side .

Dave B
26th June 2008, 13:58
In the UK an increasingly common way of suckering the gullible is to prey on their fears about the housing market and offer to buy you home from you - guaranteed and all that - and you can live in it for ten years.

What they don't tell you is that you'll be lucky to get 70% of market value, the rent's astronomical, and miss a payment and you'll be homeless.

I use their Freepost envelopes to send back all the other junk mail I've collected.

Mark
26th June 2008, 17:22
Another problem is the so called "boiler rooms" which call people up and persuade them to buy shares which then turn out to be worthless.

GridGirl
26th June 2008, 20:55
It's not just con men that confuse the elderly. I spent a good hour this week telling someone in thier 80's what they needed to do regarding a rights issue on some shares they own. They bank in question sent that much information that she thought it was all rubbish and wanted it shredding wothout realising that if she didn't take up or sell her right she would be worse off.

J4MIE
26th June 2008, 22:19
For some reason I occasionally get calls to my home number (which I never use or give out :s ) from the US, from some investment types wanting me to invest my savings in the US stock market which is about to take off real soon :D

I do wonder what savings they are on about :|

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 23:30
For some reason I occasionally get calls to my home number (which I never use or give out :s ) from the US, from some investment types wanting me to invest my savings in the US stock market which is about to take off real soon :D

I do wonder what savings they are on about :|

The calls probably come from Bangkok where those boiler rooms are based.

SOD
27th June 2008, 01:35
In the UK an increasingly common way of suckering the gullible is to prey on their fears about the housing market and offer to buy you home from you - guaranteed and all that - and you can live in it for ten years.

What they don't tell you is that you'll be lucky to get 70% of market value, the rent's astronomical, and miss a payment and you'll be homeless.

I use their Freepost envelopes to send back all the other junk mail I've collected.

these are usually targetted at old people who own their homes outright and a friendly chappie offers to buy a share of their home and nothing has to be paid back. The loan accumulates at 7% per annum, fater 10 year the amount outstanding doubles.

Mark
27th June 2008, 08:07
It's not just sharks that do that, the big name banks have been pulling that scam too.

Azumanga Davo
27th June 2008, 09:19
Just received an offer for some of my blue chip shares from some company called Hassle Free Share Sales in South Melbourne.

The have made a very 'generous' off for $2.200.00 for a parcel of my shares which have a market value of $3,400.00.

These ba$tards target people with small parcels of blue chip shares and it is very interesting how many older pensioners are sucked into selling their shares to them at below market rates.

The have found a loophole in the law which covers them if they advise recipients of this junk offer, ob a second page, the real market value of their shares.

So if you do have elderly relatives who have recently received such offers, make sure you arn them of the scam.

I am using their junk mail to print blank Sudoku formats on the reverse side .

That guy is forever in the eye of the West Australian. He is a four letter c word to put it mildly. The name although escapes me for now though...

Drew
27th June 2008, 20:39
I'm curious, do many people have stocks and shares? I always assumed not, but perhaps now it seems so!

Valve Bounce
28th June 2008, 00:08
I'm curious, do many people have stocks and shares? I always assumed not, but perhaps now it seems so!

Let's put it this way - you could do a helluva lot worse than buying some HSBC shares, let them just sit, and collect the dividends while the share value grows each year.

Mark
30th June 2008, 08:19

By no means everybody, but people with spare cash often see shares as having a better return than keeping it in the bank. Personally in a volatile market I'm not so sure.

Dave B
30th June 2008, 08:40
I used to have a nice fat chunk of British Gas shares when Thatcher's government were selling off anything and everything which wasn't bolted down. Now I only own shares indirectly, as a proportion of my pension fund is invested on my behalf in the stock market.

GridGirl
30th June 2008, 08:47
I only own a few shares which were issued to me when my building society became listed and turned into a bank.

Drew, what someone invests in all depends on whether they want capital growth or income and how risk adverse they are. :)

Mark
30th June 2008, 09:19
Often people will own shares as a way to avoid paying tax on their savings. Usually with a 'Shares ISA'.

J4MIE
30th June 2008, 10:07
I'm sure the "credit crunch" has cost a lot of people a lot of money as the share prices have fallen, but I'm sure a lot of people will make a lot of money by buying these shares at low low prices just before things improve. Certainly wish I had some money that I'd be able to do that in say 18 months time or so.

Valve Bounce
30th June 2008, 13:36
There's money to be made when there's blood in the streets. Whenever the market plummets, you can bet somebody's been 'selling short'.

Daniel
30th June 2008, 15:23

Bar steward :p

Dave B
30th June 2008, 15:31
Indeed, sir.

ioan
30th June 2008, 18:49
I'm sure the "credit crunch" has cost a lot of people a lot of money as the share prices have fallen, but I'm sure a lot of people will make a lot of money by buying these shares at low low prices just before things improve. Certainly wish I had some money that I'd be able to do that in say 18 months time or so.

A very sound reasoning! :up:

Garry Walker
28th July 2008, 11:40

I sold most of my shares at the end of last year and even before that, because it was looking like going down bigtime (as it did, obviously).
I am rubbing my hands now looking at the prices falling.

Daniel
28th July 2008, 11:42
I sold most of my shares at the end of last year and even before that, because it was looking like going down bigtime (as it did, obviously).
I am rubbing my hands now looking at the prices falling.
Thing is you haven't made money out of things going downhill. You've just not lost money. Buy at the right time and make money, then not lose it and then you can rub your hands together ;)

Garry Walker
28th July 2008, 11:52
Thing is you haven't made money out of things going downhill. You've just not lost money. Buy at the right time and make money, then not lose it and then you can rub your hands together ;)

Well, I made money by buying them at a far far lower price years ago and selling them before it all started going downhill bigtime.
If I had opted not to sell them, I would not have lost money, but rather my shares would just be worth less ;)

Daniel
28th July 2008, 11:53
Well, I made money by buying them at a far far lower price years ago and selling them before it all started going downhill bigtime.
If I had opted not to sell them, I would not have lost money, but rather my shares would just be worth less ;)
Of course ;) But you know what I mean ;) There is no advantage to them going down until you've bought them and they've gone up again :P