PDA

View Full Version : AVG no longer free

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 00:55
I just found a message on the laptop that the current free version of AVG will no longer receive any technical support and that I had to upgrade to a new version which costs just under $70.

I am sure half the PC owners in the world will have to face this problem as most students plus many families use this free version of AVG.

So what is the ? What have forumers turned to now? PLease let me know.

anthonyvop
26th June 2008, 01:50
I have AVG.
No message here.
Even downloaded an update.

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 02:24
I have AVG.
No message here.
Even downloaded an update.

Got the "No further support" message on my laptop, which says that support would be extended till 25th of June, 2008, which was yesterday here.

I just used AVG for the laptop because it is 64 bit and Cyberscrub's AV doesn't work on 64 bit.

I had purchased Norton Professional with all its safety features as well as its Av, and the lap[top ground to a halt. I had to completely uninstall/erase Norton from that laptop before it worked normally again.

So, I decided to install the Grisoft AVG which worked very, very well.

Storm
26th June 2008, 06:22
There is a Free as well as Plus version for which you need to pay...

I had McAfee but not an updated one so decided to install AVG but its giving me some crap dll error :s

Iain
26th June 2008, 06:28
No way. I was just going to download that later on, as my new laptop's 60 day trial of Norton had expired yesterday. :mad:

Bruce D
26th June 2008, 06:45
AVG 7.5 is not being supported anymore but you can download the free version 8.0 instead and run that. Or just get Avira free version, which is supposed to be better and I'm trying at the moment, so far so good.

306 Cosworth
26th June 2008, 10:36
I have AVG 8.0 Free and just downloaded lots of updates :)

Dave B
26th June 2008, 14:00
It's just trying to persuade you to pay for an upgrade when in fact there's a free version available. Don't panic!

@ Iain: you're lucky, now you don't have to put up with Norton anymore :)

Zico
26th June 2008, 19:14
Be very cautious about downloading AVG 8.0.. there have been many, many problems for a lot of people who downloaded this.... can slow web browsing right down, lots of bugs and incompatible with the FAT32 filing system found on older PC's. They had to continue support for 7.5 due to the extent of the problems. Btw, Im still getting my 7.5 updates..!

There are far better free Anti-virus programs out there.. Avira comes highly recomended from a mate whos a major geek. .http://www.free-av.com/

Valve Bounce
26th June 2008, 23:33
I uninstalled the AVG, downloaded AVIRA, and when it scanned, it found 4 malware which I have quarantined.

I do have one bit of trouble, and that is downloading updates for AVIRA. Has anyone else got this problem?

Powered by Cosworth
27th June 2008, 07:49
I found AVG didn't really catch anything, I now use BitDefender '08 and it's great.

Valve Bounce
27th June 2008, 08:46
I found AVG didn't really catch anything, I now use BitDefender '08 and it's great.

Is it free?

Powered by Cosworth
27th June 2008, 14:24
There's a free version, but the pay version has far more features.

dc10
27th June 2008, 14:36
I uninstalled the AVG, downloaded AVIRA, and when it scanned, it found 4 malware which I have quarantined.

I do have one bit of trouble, and that is downloading updates for AVIRA. Has anyone else got this problem?

I've been using free AVIRA for about 12 months now without any problems. No trouble downloading updates and it regularly picks up on suspicious files etc. whereas the Norton that came with the PC never picked up anything.

Daniel
27th June 2008, 15:07
I'm so hard I don't even use an AV suite :p I just don't open random exe files and I'm OK.

I used to use Norton and then I found out that firstly you don't really need an AV program and secondly that Norton is crap and it slows your PC down an amazing amount. Good firewall is all you need IMHO :) Occasionally scan for spyware and never find anything anyway.

Dave B
27th June 2008, 18:22
Good firewall is all you need IMHO :) Occasionally scan for spyware and never find anything anyway.
While I agree with the thrust of your post that's a bit like taking the battery out of your smoke alarm on the grounds that you've never had a fire.

A halfway decent AV programme uses bugger-all resource so you may as well have one as not.

Zico
27th June 2008, 18:45

You mean it doesnt seem to be updating... or it cant complete the downloads?
I dont have it yet but iirc I read somewhere that Avira doesnt tell you its updating, it does it discretely in the background. Can anyone confirm this?

Valve Bounce
28th June 2008, 00:02
You mean it doesnt seem to be updating... or it cant complete the downloads?
I dont have it yet but iirc I read somewhere that Avira doesnt tell you its updating, it does it discretely in the background. Can anyone confirm this?

I click on updates and it takes ages to start updating at 2kb per sec, then it stops after about 20 minutes and I get a message saying the download was unsuccessful.

Valve Bounce
28th June 2008, 00:06
I'm so hard I don't even use an AV suite :p I just don't open random exe files and I'm OK.

I used to use Norton and then I found out that firstly you don't really need an AV program and secondly that Norton is crap and it slows your PC down an amazing amount. Good firewall is all you need IMHO :) Occasionally scan for spyware and never find anything anyway.

Daniel, with the greatest respect, and I do respect your knowledge of all things computer, in this case I reckon you are playing with fire.

My wife uses the laptop most of the time and I only use her laptop very occasionally - the last time to access the F1 race on an ITV feed, and the Avira found 4 Trojans on its first scan. And yes, there is a firewall on the laptop also. She never opens any exe files on the laptop and neither do I.

BUT!! I do think the AVIRA is great.

Zico
28th June 2008, 10:50
I click on updates and it takes ages to start updating at 2kb per sec, then it stops after about 20 minutes and I get a message saying the download was unsuccessful.

I installed Avira last night.. and it found 3 viruses that my old AVG didnt spot, so far so good..
On installing it, I was given the option of generating a serial number for updates... and although quite slow.. its updating just fine. Are you sure you ticked that box?

dc10
28th June 2008, 12:54
My AVIRA downloads at between 75 and 117 kb/sec

Valve Bounce
28th June 2008, 13:13
My AVIRA downloads at between 75 and 117 kb/sec

Well, I was going to update, but when I opened the AVIRA window, it says it was already updated. The bugger must have sneaked in an update when I wasn't looking. :(

Valve Bounce
28th June 2008, 13:14
I installed Avira last night.. and it found 3 viruses that my old AVG didnt spot, so far so good..
On installing it, I was given the option of generating a serial number for updates... and although quite slow.. its updating just fine. Are you sure you ticked that box?

Never saw it :( :bigcry:

RaceFanStan
28th June 2008, 17:36
I am downloading Avira AntiVir Free as I type this ... :D
(I notice the download is bit slow but hopefully it will be worth it ...)
I think it will be good back-up protection for AVG (I just hope it doesn't conflict with AVG)

I hope to keep my AVG Free as I really like it. :idea:
Anyone that is interested you can download AVG 8.0 Free @ http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=pop.software&cdlPid=10834624

Daniel
28th June 2008, 22:40
While I agree with the thrust of your post that's a bit like taking the battery out of your smoke alarm on the grounds that you've never had a fire.

A halfway decent AV programme uses bugger-all resource so you may as well have one as not.

Thing is if you only download stuff from reputable sites and visit reputable sites then there's very very very little chance you'll ever get a virus. Got curious so I installed AVG and did a slow scan on both hard drives in this PC and it took ages to scan 300gb of stuff. Anyway I've got files which date back to 1998 and all AVG found were cookies.

Perhaps I'm foolish to think that I won't get a virus but it seems to work! I did once get a virus but that was only because I opened a file someone sent to me on MSN. Learnt my lesson way back then :)

Valve Bounce
29th June 2008, 00:17
I think it will be good back-up protection for AVG (I just hope it doesn't conflict with AVG)

I hope to keep my AVG Free as I really like it. :idea:
Anyone that is interested you can download AVG 8.0 Free @ http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=pop.software&cdlPid=10834624

I don't think that is wise - it is my understanding you cannot have to anti-viruses as they conflict.
Maybe you could ask someone who knows just to be sure.

tmx
29th June 2008, 03:28
I used to use AVG, but I changed to Avast which works really well, it even detected a few times.

RaceFanStan
29th June 2008, 15:49
I don't think that is wise - it is my understanding you cannot have to anti-viruses as they conflict.
Maybe you could ask someone who knows just to be sure.
I have good news, the 2 anti-virus programs DON'T conflict on my computer. :D
I'm running Windows XP Professional with 2 gigs of RAM. (everything is stable)
I like Avira, it found 2 Trojans that AVG had overlooked. :D

I think users without an ample quantity of RAM might have difficulty running 2 anti-virus programs. :eek:

ioan
29th June 2008, 19:05

I used Avira for almost 4 years, and it works very well (and it's only the free version!).

If you have problems with the updates take a look in the settings, it needs the right connection setups to the internet (firewalls, proxys, etc!)

ioan
29th June 2008, 19:07

Not the best thing to do. Anyway create a Windows back-up point before you install the 2nd AV soft, they often conflict and will crash your system.

Valve Bounce
1st July 2008, 07:48
I immobilized my Cyberscrub and then downloaded AVIRA and scanned my PC. It was clear, so I know my Cyberscrub AV works. I then immobilised my AVIRA, and re-activated the Cyberscrub AV - so far so good!