PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Provisional Calendar released!

Oli_M
25th June 2008, 15:56
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/6/7994.html

19 races, no US GP despite the rumours, Australia still starting the season, new circuit at Abu Dhabi to close the year in mid-November. And it includes a date for the French GP...... All very interesting.

trumperZ06
25th June 2008, 16:52
USGP....

I think Tony George is waiting to see what fan interest & TV ratings will be this year, after the merger.

So far, the racing has been exciting to watch, lots of side-by-side racing, even 3 wide in the corners.

It's probably in his best $$$ interest... not to bring F-1 back to compete with the IRL for fans attention.

FIA
25th June 2008, 17:47
It's ok, but put the Turkish Grand Prix back in May and put the Brazilian Grand Prix maybe a bit more earlier, and for christ sake please put the British Grand Prix back in July.

Other than looks good.

Mark
25th June 2008, 18:08
Season is starting quite late again. Where is the Japanese gp going to be?

Somebody
25th June 2008, 18:49
Season is starting quite late again. Where is the Japanese gp going to be?

Suzuka, IIRC (Fuji and Suzuka are meant to start alternating, ala Hockenheim/Nurbürgring)

grantb4
25th June 2008, 19:26
USGP....

I think Tony George is waiting to see what fan interest & TV ratings will be this year, after the merger.

So far, the racing has been exciting to watch, lots of side-by-side racing, even 3 wide in the corners.

It's probably in his best $$$ interest... not to bring F-1 back to compete with the IRL for fans attention.

Really? I've felt kind of underwhelmed by the merged series. They need to take the governors off those cars or whatever it is that makes them kind of pokey.

AndyRAC
25th June 2008, 20:09
Who draws up the calendar? Why is the British GP in June? Why not swap Italy and Belgium.

elinagr
25th June 2008, 20:33
Abu Dhabi!!! I Will Be There For Sure :)

F1boat
26th June 2008, 07:11
Starts too late for my taste, but a very long season, really. November - I am shocked.

leopard
26th June 2008, 07:48
Abu Dhabi!!! I Will Be There For Sure :)
See you there. :)

GridGirl
26th June 2008, 09:51
British GP is on my birthday...so I might give it a miss next year. We'll most probably head to Bahrain next year but the sound of Abu Dhabi is also quite appealing.

Oli_M
26th June 2008, 23:09
I'm def going to be trying to make the Abu Dhabi GP. Was desperately trying to get to Singapore for this year but timings didn't work out :(

Heres an interesting idea that I have heard circulating (note theres no official source, its purely conjecture)....... If France doesn't come up with a "suitable" plan for its '09 GP, could we have the possibility of the British GP being moved to that date, and a resurrected US GP fitted in after Canada.... Apparently Tony George has title sponsorship all but signed on the dotted line.......

AndySpeed
29th June 2008, 12:00
Considering that it's the Formula One World Championship, and looking at the calendar there are so many important nations represented, to see the US not there is a bit baffling. I hope the US GP is reinstated, and I also hope that the Americans see the quality F1 has over IRL.

markabilly
29th June 2008, 15:44
Abu Dhabi as the last gp??? the final race that could decide the championship?

Please NO!!!

Put the last race back to Brazil, or to Spain, or Monza or Spa or (even gasp!!-Silverstone) where the real fans who make up the mass of F1 fandom will attend, in person, not by TV.
Bernei or someone must be getting a little under the table from some oil shiek to put them last.... :hot: