PDA

View Full Version : FIA plans to resurrect Formula Two name

V12
25th June 2008, 13:52
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68628

For those who can't get the link, basically the FIA is planning on resurrecting the F2 name. It is unclear whether it would replace GP2 on the bill, run alongside it, and strangely it is aimed, cost-wise, BELOW both GP2 and F3.

I was encouraged by this headline initially, however a line in the report, "the sport's governing body has invited tenders for the new low-cost feeder series" suggests it will be just another one-make series.

Personally I'd love to see an F2, aimed squarely between F1 and F3, where chassis and engine builders can compete in a similar manner to F3 (yes it's mostly Dallaras but we've had Lola and Mygale win races in recent years and the Signature car has not embarrassed itself either).

Or is that too logical? :rolleyes:

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2008, 14:54
This is simply another stage in the escalating war between Max and Bernie. No more no less. As the article says:
The use of the name F2 could be seen as a clear provocation against Bernie Ecclestone, showing that the FIA is willing to set-up their own championships and are ready to go up against a series that is backed by the commercial rights holder, and is partly financed by CVC.
The idea that costs of €200,000 a car per season could be achieved is ridiculous, particularly when karting outfits spend those kind of sums, and there is simply no need for a new F2. We already have GP2.

I never quite understood why the name F2 was not used for F3000 or GP2, but that doesn't alter the fact that that is what both of those series are. They were/are the "feeder series" for F1.

This is about divisive politics, not motorsport :down:

Nikki Katz
25th June 2008, 18:13
This is a stupid stupid decision. GP2 is doing rather well at the moment, it's still a young series. Why is the FIA even considering replacing it already? The budgets seem to be lower than GP2, yet is it supposed to slot in between F1 and GP2? How???
Short of axing GP2 this simply won't work. And set to start next year, without even a racing spec or a calendar for teams to consider joining? Are they mad?
Stupid. Perhaps Bernie's suggestion to break away from the FIA isn't such a bad one.
Though I wouldn't object to renaming GP2 F2.

V12
25th June 2008, 22:22
Trevor Carlin has made some encouraging noises, but has stopped short of committing his team to entering: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68634

Although I'm not sure if this is sour grapes, albeit very much justified sour grapes, at being locked out of GP2 by it's franchising system.

I agree though that a more logical step would be renaming GP2 to F2, and maybe opening out the chassis and engine regs a little to bring it more in line with F1 and F3. But since it would be the more logical thing to do, it won't happen!

Helicon_One
1st July 2008, 14:23
I'm getting a really uncomfortable CART/IRL Split vibe about the whole thing, to be honest. GP2 has provided us with the single clear F1 feeder series that late-era F3000 was failing to give, and now we face the prospect of that being diluted between two competing disciplines. With the vast disparity between a typical GP2 budget and the proposed F2 budget, and presumably a matching divide between the tech and speed levels, not sure I like the idea of the FIA muscling a slower, lower-tech F2 into the F1 support race slot at GP2's expense.

Mind you, GP2 moving away from some of the blander modern Tilkedromes to go its own way and racing at some new venues could be an interesting prospect...

Hayley
2nd July 2008, 13:02
Carlin would be interested in F2 as he tried to get into GP2 but didn't get an entry.

There is no way on earth a formula could be run on a budget like 200k! If it was it would be very low spec and in no way a match for GP2 cars so I can't see how they could even bill it as a feeder series. GP2 is Bernie's brainchild so I think Max is just making noises to try and stamp his authority, I would say Bernie has more control over F1 and GP2 than the FIA does. I'll believe it when I see it!

Nikki Katz
3rd July 2008, 18:29
Heh, I found this on F1Live:

"A season of karting costs more," Ecclestone said in interview with Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

"Maybe he will use lawnmower engines, but would that really be a feeder series for Formula One?" the 77-year-old added.

Copse
14th July 2008, 12:12
Found this:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=35382
Interesting parts include:

"To ensure sporting equality among competitors:

The cars to be supplied must be identical, insofar as practicable;

Competitors will draw lots to determine which individual car they use at each given event and official testing;

At the end of each event and official testing, the cars will be returned to the winning tenderer, ready for transfer to the next event or official testing;
- competitors will not have access to the cars save at events and official testing; and

At events and official testing, the only adjustments competitors will be permitted to make to the car will be minor adjustments to the cars’ “set-up”."

I.e., the perennial suggestion to draw lots for the cars at each event is appearing again. It might be interesting, but it seems the incentives for teams to enter this if they can't do anything anyway are smaller. With the cost proposed, and this rule, this seems like a championship belonging somewhere below F3, not as the immediate feeder to F1.