PDA

View Full Version : Shut It Walker

THE_LIBERATOR
6th December 2006, 14:51
Murray learns nothing from the last 20 British F1 drivers he has jinxed!!

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38058

Former ITV Sport commentator Murray Walker believes McLaren protégé Lewis Hamilton can be the star driver that British fans have been waiting for in Formula 1.

The 21-year-old was handed the second seat at the Woking-based squad for 2007 last month and will make his debut in the sport in Melbourne in March, following his staggering rise through the junior motorsport ranks.

Although Jenson Button broke the nation's three-year winless streak in the sport in 2006, it is a decade since a British driver – Damon Hill - last won the drivers’ world championship and legendary commentator Walker says the nation needs a new hero.

“We are desperately hungry for success,” he told this week’s Motorsport News newspaper.

“It is more than ten years since we had somebody like Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell to cheer on – and we need another one.”

The confirmation that Hamilton would partner Fernando Alonso at McLaren ended months of speculation over whether team boss Ron Dennis would decide to hand the young star the race seat alongside the double world champion or let him spend a year testing first.

Walker is confident Dennis has made the right decision in promoting the Briton straight from the GP2 feeder series into a top-line F1 seat and believes he is ready for the challenge.

“I think Ron Dennis has done exactly the right thing,” he said.

“Lewis has won a championship in very category he’s contested, so there is absolutely no reason why he shouldn’t to extremely well in F1, particularly given the advantages of being a McLaren works driver.

“He’s got his head screwed on.

“His problem won’t be driving the car, but not being put off by the adulation, the media attention and the hopes that Britain is going to pin on.”

ArrowsFA1
6th December 2006, 15:17
:confused:

I can't see anything wrong with what MW's saying.

Sleeper
6th December 2006, 15:35
He's not a commentator anymore so I dont think we should wory about Murry cursing him.

I hope.

sonic_roadhog
6th December 2006, 15:41
Eh??? Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill to name but two who muzza openly supported and went on to become WDC. It used to be a bit of fun to say murray jinxed drivers, the man himself use to say he made predictions that immediatly turned out to be wrong - but anyone who seriously believes that murray effected anyone career is crazy. :p

Sonic :)

Dave B
6th December 2006, 15:45
Murray's unashamedly patriotic, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure he's biased sometimes, but it'll mean a lot to Lewis to know that he's got the support of someone with Walker's experience.

EuroTroll
6th December 2006, 17:53
Murray's unashamedly patriotic, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure he's biased sometimes, but it'll mean a lot to Lewis to know that he's got the support of someone with Walker's experience.

Will it? Will it really? :p :

Ian McC
6th December 2006, 23:06

:rolleyes:

You are talking about the voice of British motorsport there.

Sirius
7th December 2006, 01:13
Words are only words and a jinx is nothing but a myth.

Knowing just how enthusiastic Murray has been towards British drivers over the years, it should be of no surprise to anyone.

Sirius

Storm
7th December 2006, 07:26
Murray jinxed all those British drivers?? or rather all those in last few years have been crap (well at least not up to topmost level like DC and Button).

Valve Bounce
7th December 2006, 10:49
Next, Murray will tell us how the Poms will win the next three games and easily retain the Ashes. You've gotta hand it to Murray, dementia hasn't affected his enthusiasm. :D

savage86
7th December 2006, 14:17
How dare you tell murray to shut it, nothing murray says will hinder him Mansall and Hill did alright and Murray was always big fans of them.

Knock-on
8th December 2006, 14:05
Good on yer Murray.

He says things that a lot of us think and in this case, I'm sure he's right.

J1
8th December 2006, 14:37
the only thing I wonder about Murray's quotes is what Honda is saying about it because they pay him irrc.

THE_LIBERATOR
8th December 2006, 20:37
It used to be a bit of fun to say murray jinxed drivers, the man himself use to say he made predictions that immediatly turned out to be wrong My point exactly.

I think alot of people on here must walk around with permanently furrowed brows. Y'all seem to take every word sooooooo seriously!! Or is it law that you have to have a disclaimer before a post in which you are taking the pee?

EuroTroll
8th December 2006, 21:06
My point exactly.

I think alot of people on here must walk around with permanently furrowed brows. Y'all seem to take every word sooooooo seriously!! Or is it law that you have to have a disclaimer before a post in which you are taking the pee?

Well, when you use no smilies and two exclamation marks at the end of your sentence, it does look a wee bit like you're serious. And angry. :\

THE_LIBERATOR
8th December 2006, 21:40
So that's a yes then. :monkee:

EuroTroll
8th December 2006, 21:45
So that's a yes then. :monkee:

No, that's a "perhaps you should look at trying to communicate better in a written forum environment". ;)

wmcot
9th December 2006, 08:13
I would think that MW would be biased (read enthusiastic) about British drivers. He loves F1 and he loves his country! Maybe in a few years, I'll be making similar remarks about Scott Speed!?!?

THE_LIBERATOR
9th December 2006, 15:33
No, that's a "perhaps you should look at trying to communicate better in a written forum environment". ;) Bull. Clear enough for you?

EuroTroll
9th December 2006, 15:54
Bull. Clear enough for you?

Not really, no. Do elaborate.

THE_LIBERATOR
10th December 2006, 12:14
:s nore:

EuroTroll
10th December 2006, 14:37
Yes, that's both of us. :\

samuratt
11th December 2006, 12:38
We have Marca and As, newspapers full of praise for the national teams and sportsman. Well, you have got Murray! ;)