PDA

View Full Version : Snetterton testing

cos
23rd June 2008, 17:14
Two day session for the BTCC teams kicking off tomorrow (24th) - anyone heading down? Not sure how many cars there will be out on track, but presumably all the big teams at least.
Is it a bit strange that there's a test session at Snetterton just a few weeks before the race day there?

AndySpeed
23rd June 2008, 18:20
See: http://motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127849

I'll be there, will be the first time I go to a BTCC test.

fabricator/61
23rd June 2008, 21:43
I believe it is an official Dunlop tyre test,so most off the big players will be there.

tdb
23rd June 2008, 22:55
Is it a bit strange that there's a test session at Snetterton just a few weeks before the race day there?
Snett falls into a similar category as thruxton as it is such a high speed circuit.
so dunlop have deemed to do an official tyre test, everybody entered is allowed to test, so no advantage can be gained over other teams, as per testing rules.

Alfa Fan
23rd June 2008, 23:16
Snett falls into a similar category as thruxton as it is such a high speed circuit.
so dunlop have deemed to do an official tyre test, everybody entered is allowed to test, so no advantage can be gained over other teams, as per testing rules.

Will Xero be there? The website seems to suggest your planning to run the cars alongside the rest of the field soon.

PDS
23rd June 2008, 23:32
The test session is only open to registered entries.

So if Xero have not registered.. they won't be there!

Alfa Fan
23rd June 2008, 23:45
The test session is only open to registered entries.

So if Xero have not registered.. they won't be there!

Do we know for sure they haven't registered yet? Tho I guess you'd expect th team to have announced their entry already if that was the case.

tdb
24th June 2008, 14:18
Do we know for sure they haven't registered yet? Tho I guess you'd expect th team to have announced their entry already if that was the case.
I thought YOU were 99% certain that Xero will not be out this year?

Alfa Fan
24th June 2008, 14:51
I thought YOU were 99% certain that Xero will not be out this year?

Well I haven't be wrong yet....doesn't stop me from hoping to see extra cars on the grid.

SEATFreak
24th June 2008, 17:46
So far so good. According to Live Timing on TSL Jase and Turner are top two in Test Session 2. :D

Jase top with 1:12.100 and Turner second with 1:12.298 but Gio finished in third on 1:12.641.

In fact it was a SEAT 1-2 in the first session with DT besting Jase.

Do I dare to dream?

MBailey06
24th June 2008, 17:50
Any reason why Onslow-Cole isn't there?

100%hondafan
24th June 2008, 19:22
testing engines will be turned down and sandbagging but i wouldnt be suprsed to see seat do well with the tdi good for getting out the chicanes although i remmber thommo in 2004 done a 1.11.9

Martin-MC
24th June 2008, 19:43
The Seats should like Snett due to the nature of the circuit, only the final chicane should hamper them and the one at the end of the long straight a bit but not nearly as much. If they cant win there then they may as well not bother turning up! LOL

AndySpeed
24th June 2008, 20:15
Any reason why Onslow-Cole isn't there?

He was there but was sat on the pit wall all day. Probably going to do some running tomorrow.

I've put up some photos if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btcc/sets/72157605795749831/

I really enjoyed the test today. Thanks to Les and Kevin!

stevevxr
24th June 2008, 20:45
I've put up some photos if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btcc/sets/72157605795749831/

I really enjoyed the test today. Thanks to Les and Kevin![/quote]

Excellent photo's !!!

stevevxr
24th June 2008, 20:53
Interesting time's !!!!

Look's like SEAT went out with good time's in mind !! (Well done lads :mad: ) !!! It will be interesting to see what set-ups the guys are using...

I would think they would be in race trim, so they get the edge for race weekend...

If Gio is running full weight... then that's pretty good going....

Roll on race day !!!!

VXR RULES :)

Les
24th June 2008, 21:19
I think Andy enjoyed himself and we introduced him to a few drivers.

VX and Halfords have gone home. Arkus, Jag & In-Tune should join in tomorrow.
Think those Seats will be hard to beat - way too fast on the straights.

Had a lovely relaxing day - just what I needed :)

AndySpeed
24th June 2008, 23:13
I would think they would be in race trim, so they get the edge for race weekend...

If Gio is running full weight... then that's pretty good going....

"With no ballast checks in opperation, though, it’s unclear to what weight restrictions individual cars were running."

PDS
24th June 2008, 23:31
As the test was a 'free test', they did not have to carry success balast!

peewhee
25th June 2008, 01:10
found some pictures here...http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2008/snettest/

I see that the Motorbase cars don't have the Kamatsu branding on the cars. :confused:

c8nay
25th June 2008, 01:33
Looks like a few cars didn't have their full liveries on display. VXR, Team Dynamics, Adam Jones and the Seats all had something missing as well. New panels or shells I presume? Seat seemed to have covered up the TDI branding though....

SEATFreak
25th June 2008, 09:40
Look's like SEAT went out with good time's in mind !! (Well done lads :mad: ) !!

I get the distinct impression you sort of didn't enjoy saying that! ;)

I am not getting my hopes up yet on account we have another day today of testing but looks like SEAT stormed the times. I don't know how strong sector and speed trap times are but it is enough to give me a lot of hope they can do something then the championship resumes.

On the first session in the morning DT and Jase were fastest in sector one with DT and Jase just behind the fastes of all in sector two; Tom Chilton. And again in the second session in the afternoon DT and Jase were the top two though sector one and this time through sector 2 Jase topped with your guy Giovanardi behind.

As for the speed traps, again I don't know how good fast times through speed traps are concerned, but again DT and Jase did exceptionally well. In the first session in sector one DT and Jase were in the top three with DT first and Jsse third. Varry Vaulkhard was second fastest through sector one. And through the line again DT was top with Jase second. In the afternoon session Jase was top with DT third through sector one with Rob Collard the second fastest. And over the line again it was DT and Jase the top two.

Things are looking up so far.

LiamM
25th June 2008, 12:31
Looks like a few cars didn't have their full liveries on display. VXR, Team Dynamics, Adam Jones and the Seats all had something missing as well. New panels or shells I presume? Seat seemed to have covered up the TDI branding though....

You can tell Platos had a new door in this photo.

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2008/snettest/plato_test_01.jpg.html

The holiday inn green abruptly stops when it reachs the rear door

AndySpeed
25th June 2008, 17:05

Not only Plato but many drivers. See Neal, Shedden et al in these photos from testing:

http://www.btccaction.co.uk/snetterton-testing-2008-photos/

VX_Rules
25th June 2008, 18:26
Make them all lighter? haha. I dont know. The testing times probably mean naf all tbh.

SEATFreak
25th June 2008, 18:34
I don't know how to react to todays testing.

On one hand I see Jase and DT head both session times and both their sector and speed trap times, but on the other hand with both VXR and Team Dynamics absent from the second and final day of testing at Snetterton today, they are always gonna dominate so I am not going to get carried away.

Though Turks, Jones and Jackson (the top three in the Independent Drivers Championship this season) did really well too. But Andrew Jordan was really quite pacey in a period of running that for me is all about teams fine tuning the cars for pace, I think, rather than beating rival drivers.

Make them all lighter? haha. I dont know. The testing times probably mean naf all tbh.

This won't by any chance have anything to do with VXR not being able to break Jase and DT yesterday? :)

Giovanardi and Neal being the top two in both sessions wouldn't have swayed your view at all? ;)

stevevxr
25th June 2008, 19:13
"With no ballast checks in opperation, though, it’s unclear to what weight restrictions individual cars were running."

I can't see the point testing without the weight your gonna have for qualifying and race trim.... That's why i have a strange feelin fabrizo was running in race trim ahead of the race weekend..just to get the feel..

I think SEAT ran with no weight so it looks as if they're doing better and JP feels good again...

Lets see what happen in the second half of the season...... :)

Les
25th June 2008, 20:06
may be the point of testing is to try new things and working from a no ballast situation helps.

PDS
25th June 2008, 20:24

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2008/snettest/plato_test_01.jpg.html

The holiday inn green abruptly stops when it reachs the rear door

Not a 'new door'!

Both rear doors had yellow tape applied to them. It was on both work SEATs.. If you look closely, you can see the strips of tape..

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2008/snettest/turner_test_01.jpg.html

Les
25th June 2008, 20:35
Micky tells me there was a woman photographer at Snetterton today but no idea who she was.
But has any one got any pictures of his new livery?

stevevxr
25th June 2008, 20:44
Not a 'new door'!

Both rear doors had yellow tape applied to them. It was on both work SEATs.. If you look closely, you can see the strips of tape..

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2008/snettest/turner_test_01.jpg.html

I think its a go faster stripe applied to the rear doors of the SEAT.... :laugh: :laugh:

tdb
25th June 2008, 23:09
its just gaffer tape, applied to protect the paint and in particular the rear arches as they always suffer from on track debris damage.
it is uneconomical to run a full livery at a test as it may need replacing before race day, hence many teams testing cars without full livery.

SEATFreak
26th June 2008, 09:00
may be the point of testing is to try new things and working from a no ballast situation helps.

You could be right. We can deffo rule out outright competition. I can anyway on account I link that to the fact theirs no championship points at stake.

Listening to stevevxr I don't think it could be about pace either. With ballast the cars will always for me go slower than they do without it. And they surely must do anyway. Simple law of physics surely. It is like asking Linford Christie to run 100m in 10secs and then again try it with two bags of sugar tied together and hung round his neck.

No, I think it is about setting the car up to run with new things. In which case as stevevxr said may benifit SEAT in as much as they look properly good to. For once.

Les
26th June 2008, 13:45
We were listening in too the radio conversations and I don't believe for a minute that is the best it can go. I just don't want a whitewash at Snetterton

VX_Rules
26th June 2008, 15:42
Well we know testing is at the day only testing, especially at a session like this, the teams don't have to run the car within the rules to make it go quick. We'll just see at Snetterton. But the Seats will end up being quick as they're no were near as ballasted as they're rivals as they have been utter useless so far in the season.