PDA

View Full Version : This is why Paul Page is the greatest.

ACTF_ZETT
23rd June 2008, 04:45
Is there any doubt that the best racing announcer in ANY series, is Paul Page. Indy Car racing broadcast wise was its BEST with Paul Page in the booth. The tragic accident at the NHRA race yesterday and how he handles the broadcast is just unmatched by anyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7e8YHNdfM

Please sign Paul Page back to broadcast the IRL.

Phoenixent
23rd June 2008, 05:04
I Agree. :up:

The group we have now could not announce their way thru kindergarden finger painting.

portlandCARTfan
23rd June 2008, 05:41
Paul Page is the only worthy Indycar announcer after Sid Collins. He understand all aspects of the sport from both a team and fan perspective. In the early days of online computer interaction he hosted a gathering of RIS (compuserve) adicts at Laguna including touring of the TV production facilities. he listened to fan input and added his own.

I have no idea what led to his dismissal from his post as Indycar announcer. It was during the split and many unwise decisions were made. Not having Paul Page as the lead was one of those bad decisions. Bring him back.

jimispeed
23rd June 2008, 06:00
Another tragic story in racing. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Paul has always been able to console an audience after a tragic event with grace and dignity.

I would love to see him in the booth.

ShiftingGears
23rd June 2008, 08:32
RIP.

Page is a brilliant commentator, definitely one of the best I have ever heard.

Also, that drag strip is a death trap. 300MPH and the run off consists of a concrete wall.

EagleEye
23rd June 2008, 17:05
Is there any doubt that the best racing announcer in ANY series, is Paul Page. Indy Car racing broadcast wise was its BEST with Paul Page in the booth. The tragic accident at the NHRA race yesterday and how he handles the broadcast is just unmatched by anyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7e8YHNdfM

Please sign Paul Page back to broadcast the IRL.

Gary also did a great job, as usual, under very difficult conditions.

!!WALDO!!
23rd June 2008, 17:31
I have no idea what led to his dismissal from his post as Indycar announcer. It was during the split and many unwise decisions were made. Not having Paul Page as the lead was one of those bad decisions. Bring him back.

Simple, Paul and his wife Sally Larvick owned the radio rights to all CART races. CART took it away from him after he built it up because they wanted something like the IMS Radio Network which they felt was nothing more than a marketing tool for IMS/IRL. Of course the CART deal failed but Paul left out of protest because he was paid by ABC and the other deal was "financial security".

Yes, he and the whole crew did a great job under tough times. Too bad I had to see what happen, memories like that are things I would like to forget.

I am sitting at a party in Barrington Hill, IL on 5 acres that my friend owns and the phone rings....Dave Brock says:"Scott Kalitta was killed at Englishtown".
What can one say to such bad news. Yet, Paul and crew was able to put it into words and make the sadness go away for a bit.

It also shows that racers are racers. Carl Edwards, no back flip at Milwaukee..."This is not a time to celebrate as we lost Scott Kalitta today"

No different that Dale Sr at Talledega Victory Lane in 1994, "We lost a great one today and this win is for Aryton Senna and his family."

Great drivers know there place in history and how the loss of other affects the whole sport.

That is what makes or sport great.

Phoenixent
23rd June 2008, 20:00
Simple, Paul and his wife Sally Larvick owned the radio rights to all CART races. CART took it away from him after he built it up because they wanted something like the IMS Radio Network which they felt was nothing more than a marketing tool for IMS/IRL. Of course the CART deal failed but Paul left out of protest because he was paid by ABC and the other deal was "financial security".

Yes, he and the whole crew did a great job under tough times. Too bad I had to see what happen, memories like that are things I would like to forget.

I am sitting at a party in Barrington Hill, IL on 5 acres that my friend owns and the phone rings....Dave Brock says:"Scott Kalitta was killed at Englishtown".
What can one say to such bad news. Yet, Paul and crew was able to put it into words and make the sadness go away for a bit.

It also shows that racers are racers. Carl Edwards, no back flip at Milwaukee..."This is not a time to celebrate as we lost Scott Kalitta today"

No different that Dale Sr at Talledega Victory Lane in 1994, "We lost a great one today and this win is for Aryton Senna and his family."

Great drivers know there place in history and how the loss of other affects the whole sport.

That is what makes or sport great.

I Agree :up:

Great Drivers in the sport is what makes this a sport great. I watched the finals and the slow solo pass the Robert Hight did was a slow salute to Scott Kalitta since he was suppose to run againist Scott Kalitta. There was not a dry eye at the track or for me on that run.

R.I.P.
Scott Kalitta

Everyone will miss you but will always remember you.

ACTF_ZETT
24th June 2008, 05:54
The video I had posted here has been removed now, but basically he starts by saying something like, "There is nothing more eerie than an empty race track after the death of a driver" seriously sends chills. Page is a fan as well as an announcer. Later as he covers the story you can tell hes trying as hard as he can to hold back tears.

SpeedTV and the speed reports coverage was PATHEDIC. I expect crappy race coverage from ESPN where they just show the crashes and fights, and then show the checkers, but crappy coverage of a drivers death is unacceptable.

Basically on the speed report they said "And our top story is the death of Scott Kalitta." Then they showed the accident, then they said, "He will be deeply missed. And now we will turn our attention west to the turns of Sonoma "

I about crapped a brick. They spent 60 seconds on him. I was sitting on my couch like, are you kidding me? I dont watch NHRA, but christ. They showed no interviews, they maybe put his career stats on the screen for 10 seconds... its embarassing.

Colin
24th June 2008, 07:30
I'm not a follower of drag racing but the loss of anyone in motorsports always hits me. I'm not sure if this is the video that was originally posted, but here are Page and Gerrald talking about Scott Kalitta:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/remembering-the-life-of-scott-kalitta/3748859826

mantom
1st July 2008, 07:58
I'm not a follower of drag racing but the loss of anyone in motorsports always hits me. I'm not sure if this is the video that was originally posted, but here are Page and Gerrald talking about Scott Kalitta:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/remembering-the-life-of-scott-kalitta/3748859826

This clips drags on waaaaaaaay too long for the message it tries to send.

I think we've hit the era where media tries too force itself onto situations it probably doesn't belong. In this case, ESPN has dead air time to fill and decided to put on a funeral. When commentators pour their hearts out in sorrow for the family and everybody else they can name of somebody they probably don't know very well personally, it's disrespectful because it becomes a contest of who can say the nicest things on the air for sake of a few ratings points and insults the person they're giving tribute to.

I hate to say it, but it's like life is too good and safe that we have to manufacture moments of drama rather than let things be as they are. They should say a few respectful words, perhaps show a montage of a few highlight moments of the victim's life, then move on and leave it be with a few moments of silence. I'm not saying they're manufacturing scott's death by any means, but turning a reflective moment into a primetime production is disgusting. Somebody's death is a private affair among family and friends, not a public contest of who misses the victim more. I've watched Gary Gerould and Paul Page for years, they both should know well enough that you don't go on air unless you can compose yourself to do your job. If that means tape delay, so be it.