PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: love em ? hate em ?

ChicagocrewIRL
22nd June 2008, 22:17
As much as we b+tch and moan about how uncommitted and awful the ESPN/ABC coverage is of the IndyCar Series, it does seem they have one saving grace.

ESPN Classic rebroadcasts every race the following monday morning. Now we can see this as "oh they have dead air time to fill" or "hey, they think that enough race fans may have missed the race live to re-play it."

I fall in the latter category since my cable happened to go out when my Tivo was set to record the race live this past sunday. I was very pleased to discover that ESPN re-airs the race on mondays at 8am. And my Tivo automatically was set to record it because is it had the "indy" word in the title.

Good on ya ESPN. This is one thing I won't complain about.

Marbles
23rd June 2008, 03:21
This is funny because my TIVO went nutty and after the first 20 minutes of Indy(which is under favourites) switched over to a soccer channel and continued to record some game in Montevideo. I don't watch soccer and certainly don't have it favourited. The sad thing is if this had been a CC race a year ago I would have lost it because we get no second chances at these races in Canada but there was something about the Iowa Korn 250 that left me feeling there was no geat loss. So I watched the Star Mazda race I had recorded instead.

We are unfortunate here because the IRL plays second fiddle to anything in the sports category. The only motorsport is NASCAR, oddly enough. This is because of major ties between TSN and NASCAR. IRL is often delayed until midnight and there are no replays.

underpowered
23rd June 2008, 05:07
You could always download it from here. If you missed it

http://www.mediazone.com/channel/racing/schedulemain.jsp

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd June 2008, 05:29
You could always download it from here. If you missed it

http://www.mediazone.com/channel/racing/schedulemain.jsp

What a great option ! THANKS !!!

jwhite9185
23rd June 2008, 12:21
Finally i can watch Long Beach!!

Zsolt
25th June 2008, 01:15
All networks suck. Espn is one of the worst though. I love F1 races on Speed, THAT is how it should look and sound.

neckcare broadcasts are a video game joke. Pheramone for tots.

NickFalzone
25th June 2008, 02:43
He parked it at Iowa when his arms got tired, much to I'm sure Foyt's chagrin. How much of it is Darren's lack of training vs Foyt's mediocre car (no evidence of the latter, but it's not a top class machine). I do think Darren needs to speed less time on the golf course if he's parking it, particularly when Danica and the rest of the field were in it till the end.

coogmaster
25th June 2008, 17:38
All networks suck. Espn is one of the worst though. I love F1 races on Speed, THAT is how it should look and sound.

neckcare broadcasts are a video game joke. Pheramone for tots.

IRL should adopt the production techniques used by F1. Watching the race in France on FOX this weekend was enjoyable because Bob Varsha and David Hobbs know what they're talking about, with their technical knowledge and Varsha's ability to have that early 90s Paul Page-like smoothness to his dialect... and they don't sound like they're looking at the ceiling with their thumbs up their arses while calling the race, much like Marty & Goodyear.

But then there is a another problem: crappy coverage and camera work, only focusing on certain drivers, bad timing for commercial breaks and other pointless spots that are irrelevant, missing great midpack action... I know its like beating a dead horse, but how can they not KNOW how atrocious it is??

We should kidnap the ABC/ESPN IndyCar production team, tie them up, and make them watch the 1989 broadcast of the 500. As good as it gets right there. Lets meet at my place tonight and plan it all out. Waldo, you in?

!!WALDO!!
25th June 2008, 18:54
Lets meet at my place tonight and plan it all out. Waldo, you in?

I got meditation class tonight so I do not climb a tower with a rifle and pick off angry CCWS fans at 50 yards..... :D ;)

Zsolt
1st August 2008, 19:39
HATE espn, what a waste of a network. They show nothing but poker American Gladiators & a few other lame things. Nothing "classic" at all. It was great in the 90's though. Regular espn is a joke too. I get all of my sports news & video clips from the internet, a hell of a lot more information & don't need to sit thru a trillion commercials either.

Zsolt
1st August 2008, 19:40
Oh, I see i've already replied a long time ago....whoops!

The instant classic
1st August 2008, 21:43
i hate ESPN, i for one dont have it, but i have heard nothing but bad things about it,, but on the other hand they give us, side by side, and other channels wont so thats good,, but the thing is with ESPN its like other channels out there, they love there golf! and push everything aside for that,

i wolud say IRL needs a new channel but where to go? really,, i mean cant go on Fox thats nascar land, same with NBC, what other big channels are there?
i heard last night they may move to CBC but still thats not great, they need a big name channel, like spike tv

but yeah ESPN SUCKS, i could tell you what ESPN stands for but, i dont really want to get baned ;)

Jag_Warrior
2nd August 2008, 01:30
I got meditation class tonight so I do not climb a tower with a rifle and pick off angry CCWS fans at 50 yards..... :D ;)

50 yards is for pistols. I wouldn't even pick up a rifle til I got outside of 100 yards. And it's not a challenge til you touch 500 yards. :p :

And yeah, ESPN has been sucking for years. Speedvision was the best that open wheel formula car fans ever had it (NEVER once did Speedvision broadcast the race results in the middle of a tape delayed race). But given the current options, I think ESPN is about as good as it's going to get.

speeddurango
2nd August 2008, 04:15
My major complaints is still their unprofessional international coverage.