PDA

View Full Version : Good riddence French GP

bontebempo
22nd June 2008, 20:39
Good bye forever French GP! No suprise that the race was dull! Just glad i recorded it so i could fast forward 3/4s of it.

Just bin the Hungary GP and F1 is going in the right direction

gravity
22nd June 2008, 21:07
Almost all the F1 tracks are boring now. No passing is possible anymore. When was the last time u saw a pass for position (on a dry track and both cars in good condition)?
The only time anyone evens has a chance at changing positions is at pitstops now. Some serious F1 rule changes are necessary to keep F1 exciting.

F1boat
22nd June 2008, 21:08
To me F1 without France is weird. The first car race was in France, for God's sake.

N. Jones
22nd June 2008, 21:13
That track is boring and I stopped recording it after a while. Also, the fact that the race had to be broadcast on FOX didn't help. They want to expand their audience in America but with a two-hour time limit the announcers are forced to rush through the race. It becomes so damned hard to follow what is going on that I barely watched it. Sadly it is going to be the same for Britain and Germany too. :(

markabilly
22nd June 2008, 22:20
about ten minutues of interesting action spread over two hours and the only suspense is someone going to be out because of a failure...in this case, the dangling pipe thing sort of kept interest going for me....and the jump over the chicane but otherwise what a snoozer----sleep time now

clavius85
22nd June 2008, 22:21
That track is boring and I stopped recording it after a while. Also, the fact that the race had to be broadcast on FOX didn't help. They want to expand their audience in America but with a two-hour time limit the announcers are forced to rush through the race. It becomes so damned hard to follow what is going on that I barely watched it. Sadly it is going to be the same for Britain and Germany too. :(

And so many commercials! If Fox was serious about expanding the audience they would play all of the races - not just 4 in the middle of the season. A new viewer has no idea what is going on in the larger picture. I may not even bother watching the next 2 on Fox. Thankfully there are kind people on the internet who make the ITV broadcast available for download.

wedge
22nd June 2008, 22:39
Ermm....

Am I the only person who thought it was a good race this year? (and last year as well)

ShiftingGears
22nd June 2008, 22:45
It wasn't bad. Some people expect duels for the lead every single race, but that isn't going to happen, is it?

Magny Cours aint bad. Neither is the Hungaroring.

Roamy
22nd June 2008, 22:49
the race was good - what do you mean no passing piquet passed alonso so the others must not have any balls

wedge
22nd June 2008, 22:58
the race was good - what do you mean no passing piquet passed alonso so the others must not have any balls

Alonso made a mistake and outbraked himself and gifted the position to Jr - which he earnt because he more or less matched Alonso at the end.

Trulli did a magnificent job to hold off Kovi

call_me_andrew
23rd June 2008, 00:23
Ermm....

Am I the only person who thought it was a good race this year? (and last year as well)

I thought it was a good race. Lest we forget that 3 car battle over the last 10 laps.

And I didn't mind the Fox coverage. They would have the same time limits on SPEED. The Fox/SPEED commercial breaks are rarely more than 2 minutes long. If you feel they're abundent, just assume that to be a sign of high ratings.

markabilly
23rd June 2008, 00:24
Alonso made a mistake and outbraked himself and gifted the position to Jr - which he earnt because he more or less matched Alonso at the end.

Opps I forgot a whole ten seconds of action, someone passed some one else in the back part of the field....such excitement

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 00:25
Actually, we had a great time in the chat room discussing the race as it progressed. There were some very interesting battles throughout - a monumental one between Mark Webber and Alonso: both knew they were racing each other from the word go.

Then there was the battle between Kovi, Kube Man and Jarno. I'm sure pino enjoyed this thoroughly. However, one has to have the benefit of 'Live Timing' to appreciate what was happening on the track. I had my PC on both Live Timing and the Chat Room, and my lap top on the ITV feed.

Miatanut
23rd June 2008, 02:11
I liked it. I think eliminating traction control has made things significantly moire interesting at all the venues.

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 02:20
As f1 races go this one was better than some. Not as good as others.
I guess if the rain fell a little harder at the end of the race,
we'd all be saying it was epic!

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 02:31
As f1 races go this one was better than some. Not as good as others.
I guess if the rain fell a little harder at the end of the race,
we'd all be saying it was epic!

You're only saying that because we all chatted through the race, didn't we!! :up: and we knew what was going on behind the scene.

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 03:08
You're only saying that because we all chatted through the race, didn't we!! :up: and we knew what was going on behind the scene.T&S really helps :up:

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2008, 03:55
T&S really helps :up:

This guy got us the link by going to planet F1. I wonder if it was in their forum - must find out.

Shifter
23rd June 2008, 04:58
It was an OK race, not complete rubbish but nothing truly memorable happened. There were points of interest to me, Piquet finally stepping up his game and creating major headaches for the McLarens, and even his own teamate. 3 cars running up to each other at the end.

Magny Cours is an absolutely fun track to drive in F1 sims. I'd say the drivers might have thought this race was much more exciting than we, the viewer, did.

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 05:06
I'd say the drivers might have thought this race was much more exciting than we, the viewer, did.I'd be willing to bet you are right! :p :

cy bais
23rd June 2008, 05:10
And so many commercials! If Fox was serious about expanding the audience they would play all of the races - not just 4 in the middle of the season. A new viewer has no idea what is going on in the larger picture. I may not even bother watching the next 2 on Fox. Thankfully there are kind people on the internet who make the ITV broadcast available for download.

Fox's coverage of F1 sucked at best.

Tazio
23rd June 2008, 05:37
Fox's coverage of F1 sucked at best.

speed is going to reair it on wednesday night! I wonder if it is going to at least have the pre race and the whole press conferance?

PSfan
23rd June 2008, 08:06
speed is going to reair it on wednesday night! I wonder if it is going to at least have the pre race and the whole press conferance?

Speedtv's re-airing of the Montreal GP seemed to be lacking the pre-race so I'm not counting on it... Shame they aren't doing the same as previous years by adding a little more post race coverage from the races on the Fox schedule (Guess they figure debrief covers that...)

The speed report is suggesting that the french gp may be back for at least 2 more years (along with indy being on the schedule for next year as well...)

ioan
23rd June 2008, 08:47
The track is a very nice one to drive around. I never understood all the negative opinions people have about it!

ShiftingGears
23rd June 2008, 08:51
The track is a very nice one to drive around. I never understood all the negative opinions people have about it!

Certainly. The Estoril corner is excellent, and the Imola chicane is by far the best chicane on the calendar.

Mark
23rd June 2008, 09:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7467887.stm

Don't speak to soon, Mangy Cours will be with us for a little while yet.

inimitablestoo
23rd June 2008, 09:48
I rather enjoyed yesterday's last-ever French GP at Magny-Cours. It was better than last year's last-ever French GP at Magny-Cours. I only hope next year's last-ever French GP at Magny-Cours will be even better :)

Oh and Mark, did you mean to spell the venue's name like you did in your post? ;)

bontebempo
24th June 2008, 11:44
Actually, we had a great time in the chat room discussing the race as it progressed. There were some very interesting battles throughout - a monumental one between Mark Webber and Alonso: both knew they were racing each other from the word go.

Then there was the battle between Kovi, Kube Man and Jarno. I'm sure pino enjoyed this thoroughly. However, one has to have the benefit of 'Live Timing' to appreciate what was happening on the track. I had my PC on both Live Timing and the Chat Room, and my lap top on the ITV feed.

well thats ok if your that into it but for most of us we want to be entertained without checking lap times etc. The director should be of quality to show the good bits and the commentators to fill us in on who is racing whom.

bontebempo
24th June 2008, 11:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7467887.stm

Don't speak to soon, Mangy Cours will be with us for a little while yet.

****! Should have been bombed in the war!

Tazio
24th June 2008, 18:49
****! Should have been bombed in the war!Great Idea!
Then Mercedes and BMW would still be catching up!
Did you know that WW2 ended 64 years ago?
Get over it.

Tazio
24th June 2008, 19:52
****! Should have been bombed in the war!btw the track was built in 1960. That is after WW2 Einstein! :p :
:rotflmao:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magny_Cours

Daniel
24th June 2008, 20:07
I find the fact that the OP is saying good riddence French GP when they still want to have a GP in France just not as Magny Cours...

Also learn how to spell riddance too :p

Lemmy-Boy
24th June 2008, 21:26
The French GP was your typical F1 race with little passing and no excitement on the track. I feel asleep 15 minutes into the race.

The Belgian GP can't come soon enough; one of the few F1 races that's worth watching these days.

pits4me
24th June 2008, 22:05
Almost all the F1 tracks are boring now. No passing is possible anymore. When was the last time u saw a pass for position (on a dry track and both cars in good condition)?
The only time anyone evens has a chance at changing positions is at pitstops now. Some serious F1 rule changes are necessary to keep F1 exciting.

Slower cars holding up faster ones is always a problem. Maybe Bernie could take a page from Tony Cotman's book. Rather than long winded discussion on blocking penalties, why not designate a passing area or lane separation where cars have to pick one side of a divider? It worked in other open wheel series to promote passing.

ArrowsFA1
25th June 2008, 08:19
...why not designate a passing area or lane separation where cars have to pick one side of a divider? It worked in other open wheel series to promote passing.
I really hope we don't see that kind of thing. The are already far too many rules governing what drivers can and can't do. Telling them where they can and cannot pass would be yet another one. Having said that we've almost got it now in that the 'passing area' is the pits :dozey: Reduce the dominance of aero, let the drivers race, and stop penalising them when they dare to attempt passing moves.

ioan
25th June 2008, 09:04
Slower cars holding up faster ones is always a problem. Maybe Bernie could take a page from Tony Cotman's book. Rather than long winded discussion on blocking penalties, why not designate a passing area or lane separation where cars have to pick one side of a divider? It worked in other open wheel series to promote passing.

First of all it's not depending on Bernie (and I wonder how is that a F1 fan has no idea who's in charge of what in F1). :roleyes:

Second, we are talking about racing here, not rallying on parallel tracks. :\

AndyRAC
25th June 2008, 11:47
First of all it's not depending on Bernie (and I wonder how is that a F1 fan has no idea who's in charge of what in F1). :roleyes:

Second, we are talking about racing here, not rallying on parallel tracks. :\

Simple, because most press/media call Bernie 'F1 BOSS'. Yes, it's not correct, just laziness.

As for overtaking, make the cars less reliant on aerodynamics, and more on tyre grip.

bontebempo
25th June 2008, 13:47
btw the track was built in 1960. That is after WW2 Einstein! :p :

they could have bombed the area so no track could be built. Is that ok?
As for my spelling excuse me! This isn't my CV you know, its a forum. I suggest you get a life and don't spend your time as spell checker!

bontebempo
25th June 2008, 13:49
btw the track was built in 1960. That is after WW2 Einstein! :p :

you my find this of interest by the way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muppet

Tazio
25th June 2008, 16:45
they could have bombed the area so no track could be built. Is that ok?
As for my spelling excuse me! This isn't my CV you know,
NO IT'S NOT OK!
I never corrected your spelling. You have me confused with someone else.
I've never corrected anyone’s spelling on this forum. Feel free to check.
It's easy enough. I have recently corrected someone’s grammar.
Which was because he made an absurd allegation about all Americans.
As to your comment implying that there wasn't enough carnagein WW2,
let me supply you with a link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_2_casualties
That lists every country that participated in WW2, and their casualties.
If you look closely more you will see that more French died in that conflict than Americans.
I also happen to know that more French resistance fighters
died in action than all U.S. troops did in the European theatre.
But, more to the point 55 million people died in that conflict, and yet you suggest that there wasn't enough carnage.
I'll bet my subscription to this forum. You are an uninformed, right wing,
believe what Rush Limbaugh says, type of American.
Your comment is ignorance, and insensitivity of the worst kind!

Tazio
25th June 2008, 17:08
you my find this of interest by the way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muppet
Actually I do. What point are you trying to make?

bontebempo
25th June 2008, 17:14
NO IT'S NOT OK!
I never corrected your spelling. You have me confused with someone else.
I've never corrected anyone’s spelling on this forum. Feel free to check.
It's easy enough. I have recently corrected someone’s grammar.
Which was because he made an absurd allegation about all Americans.
As to your comment implying that there wasn't enough carnagein WW2,
let me supply you with a link!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_2_casualties
That lists every country that participated in WW2, and their casualties.
If you look closely more you will see that more French died in that conflict than Americans.
I also happen to know that more French resistance fighters
died in action than all U.S. troops did in the European theatre.
But, more to the point 55 million people died in that conflict, and yet you suggest that there wasn't enough carnage.
I'll bet my subscription to this forum. You are an uninformed, right wing,
believe what Rush Limbaugh says, type of American.
Your comment is ignorance, and insensitivity of the worst kind!

dude you have way too much time on your hands...lol
you also need a girlfriend hahah. Preferably a French girl with American contacts.

Tazio
25th June 2008, 17:33
dude you have way too much time on your hands...lol
you also need a girlfriend hahah. Preferably a French girl with American contacts.Why, Because I know a little about history? I have a babe thank you!
I'd also be willing to bet my dance card is more full than yours
(that’s a metaphor, I don't expect you to understand it but it means I am busier than you
in matters involving all aspects of life) Here is another metaphor.
My suggestion to you is to drop back ten and punt! :p :
Later!

bontebempo
25th June 2008, 20:00
Why, Because I know a little about history? I have a babe thank you!
I'd also be willing to bet my dance card is more full than yours
(that’s a metaphor, I don't expect you to understand it but it means I am busier than you
in matters involving all aspects of life) Here is another metaphor.
My suggestion to you is to drop back ten and punt! :p :
Later!

wish i had your life. Its true, my life is dull dull dull. hahaha
To anounce your life is so great conjours up suspicions... if you want to talk there are facilities you know. If you want it in plainer english the above means GROW UP hahahahah

Tazio
25th June 2008, 21:14
wish i had your life. Its true, my life is dull dull dull. hahaha
To anounce your life is so great conjours up suspicions...
I didn't anoucnce my life I reacted to either a direct question or an implied situation that I tried to clairify
if you want to talk there are facilities you know. Do you want me to make a phone call or PM you? I'd rather prefer to share this exchange with the forum!
If you want it in plainer english the above means GROW UP hahahahah No. The above is a very weak attempt to salvage someting out of a lost arguement, and to get the last word! You are poor conversationalist! However, if you need to have the last word I will not object.
I believe I've made my point!

janneppi
25th June 2008, 21:43
Back to the topic!