PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe back in 2009?

MDS
22nd June 2008, 04:49
So I heard this rumor that Forsythe has a Dallara in his shop and is logging a lot of laps at Chicago Motor Speedway with James Hinchcliff. It makes some sense as the track appears to still be there at the moment.

I've been hearing a lot of things like Dan Petitt or Neil Micklewright is working to buy out the team, or that Gerry needed some time off to deal with some family issues, and now that those are behind him he'd like to return to racing..

It makes some sense that he might return because his engineering department is contracted out to Conquest and Jim Baughman is supposedly talking to sponsors and shopping around packages for James Hinchcliff, Franck Montangy, Franck Perera and David Martinez.

I guess if there is any truth to any of this we might find out as early as Edmonton, because if they do find a Canadian sponsor for Hinchcliff my bet is they'll want to be in that race.

On a related note: Ganassi apparently ran out of his fair share of the Chicago Motor Speedway.

The multimillion dollar lawsuit filed by the Chicago-based National Jockey Club alleged that Ganassi failed to adequately fund the project and was trying to duck his share of the debt, according to a statement from the club.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2004-06-02-ganassi_x.htm

Mad_Hatter
22nd June 2008, 09:21
Yeah I've kinda been wondering about this.

I've seen Eric Zeto in the pictures with Conquest. Though I'd thought he'd been let loose in the just for PT shakeup. He may have been picked back up and contracted to Conquest in the supposed Mickelwright/PT split.

There are also the rumors about FCR to ALMS with Zytek/Cosworth or Lola Coupe/Cosworth, etc... I'd also figure that they haven't cut too much of their "ramped up" staff after the merger even though they aren't racing. Especially if they are headed to sportscars given their more open ended rules.

Also, I thought I heard something about FCR to possibly the NHRA(not completely sure about this one).

Then there are the rumors saying that PT has brought a legal team into the situation with FCR burning another bridge(maybe rightfully so), but what is he racing now?

I'm sure I've missed something somewhere.

As far as the Hinchcliffe/Perera/Montagny/Martinez rumors I'd hesitate on that stock simply because those guys have overall less than maybe 200 ovals laps total.

BobGarage
22nd June 2008, 13:29
Yeah I've kinda been wondering about this.

I've seen Eric Zeto in the pictures with Conquest. Though I'd thought he'd been let loose in the just for PT shakeup. He may have been picked back up and contracted to Conquest in the supposed Mickelwright/PT split.

Forsythe guys at Conquest makes sense since they hired "Forsythe Performance Racing" to help with their IRL effort.

There are also the rumors about FCR to ALMS with Zytek/Cosworth or Lola Coupe/Cosworth, etc...

The zytek package coming to ALMS is a Zytek engine with a Zytek chassis. The Eurosport coverage had a man from Zytek in the studio during the 24 hours of le Mans and he confirmed they had signed a deal to supply chassis and engines to a "new team" in the ALMS but they were not allowed to state the name of this team yet. IF Forsythe has signed with Zytek (as rumoured) it will be for both engine and chassis.

MDS
22nd June 2008, 14:28
As far as the Hinchcliffe/Perera/Montagny/Martinez rumors I'd hesitate on that stock simply because those guys have overall less than maybe 200 ovals laps total.

But here's the thing, there isn't a lot of free agents with oval experience that you can go around proposing sponsorship deals for drivers who are associated with teams. Townsend Bell is somewhat off the market due to his association with D&R and after that the list of drivers that are relatively young with oval successful oval experience is a bit shallow. I'm sure they'd love to get Dillion Battisti, but he might be contracted to Panther for next year.

The reason why Martinez is on the list is because he's someone the team knows and apparently they're talking with Tecate. Hinchcliff, drives for the team and is appealing to Canadian sponsors, who with two races in Canada next year are probably interested.

My bet is if they can get sponsorship locked away early we'll see two drivers with limited oval experience, thinking if they do a lot of testing they can overcome the lack of experience early on, and half the schedule is going to be road courses, so you can still have a competitive rookie year.

Again, with company fiscal years being what they are, if they found a full-season Canadian sponsor for Hinchcliff, and they in fact do have a dallara sitting in their shop, we'll see James at Edmonton.

weeflyonthewall
23rd June 2008, 19:46
The Eurosport coverage had a man from Zytek in the studio during the 24 hours of le Mans and he confirmed they had signed a deal to supply chassis and engines to a "new team" in the ALMS but they were not allowed to state the name of this team yet. IF Forsythe has signed with Zytek (as rumoured) it will be for both engine and chassis.

LMP1?

Chamoo
23rd June 2008, 21:43
I wish Forsythe would return as he would boost the car count, and the competitive car count. He would not be running around at the back of the field for years like some other IRL teams.

dataman1
23rd June 2008, 21:46
How about this option. Forsythe Performance Racing has a contract for engineering support with Conquest. What prevents Forsythe from buying a chassis and running cars at tracks to gain knowledge? The engineers then use that knowledge with his contracted teams as a consultant. I believe the rules may prevent teams from testing but they can't stop an unrelated company from renting tracks. Sounds like some of the old Roger Penske kind of tricks to me (said with respect because it worked). This is all pure speculation on my part.

gone fishing
29th June 2008, 04:56
pt back with forseythe for 2009.

trinksuk
29th June 2008, 17:53
Despite what it may say in the initial posting, Forsythe has not turned a wheel at Chicargo, or any other track for that matter, in a Honda power Dallara.....

disko
30th June 2008, 01:04
The mears Name belongs in INDY.

anthonyvop
30th June 2008, 02:27
The mears Name belongs in INDY.
Not gonna happen. Mergerfication left a bad taste in his mouth and rightly so.

Look for Forsythe to return on 09 in the ALMS.

Jag_Warrior
30th June 2008, 19:50
LMP1?

The last rumor that was in heavy circulation was a Zytek engine/chassis combo, P2 class and a Road America debut this season.