PDA

View Full Version : Get fat thread!

Rollo
20th June 2008, 05:55
http://www.theage.com.au/news/health/australia-now-worlds-fattest-nation/2008/06/19/1213770886872.html

Today, we've reached a new level by bettering America and becoming World Champions at being lard buckets. 1 in 4 adults is now obese. What went wrong Australia? I can't believe this!

Obesity is the only disease I have ever heard of that can be described as "morbid". You don't for instance hear of "morbid bronchitis" do you? It's like they some how needed another category for super-fat people - I don't see what was wrong with the old schoolyard tag of "Fatty-boom-bah". C'mon Australia we need to try harder!

Other people's obesity affects me in other ways, like when you're sitting on the train and being pressed up against the windows or wondering where the space went when a seat that used to fit 3 people now only hold two or a seat that used to fit two people now barely fits one!

As a nation it's Australia "who ate all the pies" now.

Valve Bounce
20th June 2008, 07:15
I think its those thick burgers at Hungry Jacks advertised on the telly. I reckon they should be accompanied by warnings of diabetes every time they show that ad.

Azumanga Davo
20th June 2008, 11:35
Nice to see we are competitive in non-sporting events too. ;)

veeten
20th June 2008, 11:39
Don't worry, guys. Summer is here now in the North American continent, and we'll be doing our best to wrest away that 'coveted' title. ;) :p :

JSH
20th June 2008, 13:57
I had a health check recently here at work. They hold some gadget infront of me thats meant to measure BMI(Body Mass Index). The reading told them I was "Overweight".

I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I told them I go to the gym and exercise 3-4 times a week, and they told me. "Oh, yeah well these things can't differentiate between fat and muscle tissue". Yet they still record me in their records as "Overweight".

It's all a plot by the insurance companies to raise premiums.

slinkster
20th June 2008, 18:53
I had a health check recently here at work. They hold some gadget infront of me thats meant to measure BMI(Body Mass Index). The reading told them I was "Overweight".

I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I told them I go to the gym and exercise 3-4 times a week, and they told me. "Oh, yeah well these things can't differentiate between fat and muscle tissue". Yet they still record me in their records as "Overweight".

It's all a plot by the insurance companies to raise premiums.

The BMI has been hotly debated because of it's incapacity to accomodate for muscle etc so it seems pretty pointless putting it down in your records when they can see you're a healthy weight. I think I'd be pretty miffed at this too.

Tazio
20th June 2008, 20:00

It's all a plot by the insurance companies to raise premiums.I had a similar experience about 10 years ago when I was a young man in my mid 40's
I was 5' 9" 163lb's and completely ripped. I was told that they compare your weight to the normal size heart someone of that height has, not differentiating between muscle mass and fat. I too was told I was over weight! Another words it's mostly B.S.

21st June 2008, 19:01
 A Londoner, very proud of his hometown, was showing a visiting American around Central London.“That's Waterloo Bridge,”he said.“It took only two years to build.”  “That's nothing,”said the American.“Our Brooklyn Bridge took only 14 months.”  Later as they went along the Euston Road, the Londoner said,“That's the Euston Station. The old one demolished and the new one put up in 18 months.”  “Our largest station in New York,”said the American,“was completed in less than 10 months.”  A little later on, they passed Centre Point, looking at its 34 storeys, the American asked,“What's that building?” ..World Of Warcraft gold is WoW gold (http://www.gogoer.com)  “Oh, I don't know,”said the Londoner.“It wasn't there when I went to work this morning.”